Should we target Nene?

I thought this article was interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2334691

Nuggets say Nene could resume practice by April

Associated Press

DENVER -- Denver Nuggets forward Nene may resume practicing in early April, the team's strength coach said.

Nene tore ligaments in his right knee in the team's season opener against the San Antonio Spurs.

Strength coach Steve Hess said he has worked with about 30 players with similar injuries, but has never seen a recovery faster than Nene's. Nene spends between 90 minutes and three hours six days a week rehabilitating his knee and working out.

Hess recently measured Nene at 264 pounds, with 9 percent body fat, compared with 268 pounds and 11 percent body fat in early November.

"You tell me how many people doing rehab drop their body fat," Hess said. "[Nene] looks unbelievable. His body fat is down, he's totally into it. He's restructuring his whole body."

The team has not set a return date for Nene.

"My goal has always been to get back on the court, at least practicing with the team, this season," Nene said in an e-mail to The Denver Post. "Once I am back on the practice court, we will see how I am from there."

Nene becomes a restricted free agent this summer, meaning the Nuggets could match any offer made by another team.

Should we go after Nene since they want Bonzi? If we seriously think that K-Mart can handle the full-time duty, then we should target our most pertinent needs. Which IMO is a PF/C, not a backup PG.

I'd like to see us get Nene and Watson. Not just Nene. He is a free agent just like Bonzi in the offseason so that is kind of scary as well. Maybe both us and Denver can do a sign and trade because it kind of is hopeless if we trade Bonzi for Nene who is rehabing his knee and then he walks on us in the offseason as will Bonzi if given a good offer. I've never seen the Nene play so I don't know what to think but if he is anything like everyone things and can fill a PF/C position then he holds a lot of value for us even if it is off the bench. Is Nene a starter or can we use him as a 6th man coming in for PF/C? We really should see if we can move KT and Bonzi for Nene, Watson, Lenard, maybe someone else. If we get Nene, we don't have a need for KT who is already having a hard time at PF due to his size. He is going a great job and has played good, except for his offense, but he is much more suited to be a SF which Artest/Garcia have looked up.

Troy said:
I'd like to see us get Nene and Watson. Not just Nene. He is a free agent just like Bonzi in the offseason so that is kind of scary as well. Maybe both us and Denver can do a sign and trade because it kind of is hopeless if we trade Bonzi for Nene who is rehabing his knee and then he walks on us in the offseason as will Bonzi if given a good offer. I've never seen the Nene play so I don't know what to think but if he is anything like everyone things and can fill a PF/C position then he holds a lot of value for us even if it is off the bench. Is Nene a starter or can we use him as a 6th man coming in for PF/C? We really should see if we can move KT and Bonzi for Nene, Watson, Lenard, maybe someone else. If we get Nene, we don't have a need for KT who is already having a hard time at PF due to his size. He is going a great job and has played good, except for his offense, but he is much more suited to be a SF which Artest/Garcia have looked up.
Nene is a restricted free agent. He makes just over 3 mil/yr now, and being a restricted FA, we can match any offer made by any other team. And depending on how he rehabs, we might want to. I would like to see us move KT but he has such a GIANT contract that it wouldn't work with Bonzi and Denver. If we could convince them to take Corliss or Brian, then we could get Watson and Leonard. The key is that they want Bonzi. If we can find a way to drop a large contract (like one of the 3 philly guys) then we can throw some money at Nene in order to keep him (if he heals properly).

BawLa said:
Nene is a restricted free agent. He makes just over 3 mil/yr now, and being a restricted FA, we can match any offer made by any other team. And depending on how he rehabs, we might want to. I would like to see us move KT but he has such a GIANT contract that it wouldn't work with Bonzi and Denver. If we could convince them to take Corliss or Brian, then we could get Watson and Leonard. The key is that they want Bonzi. If we can find a way to drop a large contract (like one of the 3 philly guys) then we can throw some money at Nene in order to keep him (if he heals properly).
Problem is you won't know if the surgery and healing process was a success for about another year and a half.

DocHolliday said:
Problem is you won't know if the surgery and healing process was a success for about another year and a half.
If you read the original article, Nene says that we will have to wait and see how he feels when he returns to the floor. Which he eluded would be this year. So we could see how he is progressing around April, and then we will have plenty of time to decide if we want to throw money at him or not.

The only thing that will keep Bonzi here is the love for Sac/Kings. I don't know if he got a strong enough bond with us in this injury ridden year. Some ppl might view Nene as a gamble, but I think that hoping Bonzi stays is a bigger gamble.

BawLa said:
If you read the original article, Nene says that we will have to wait and see how he feels when he returns to the floor. Which he eluded would be this year. So we could see how he is progressing around April, and then we will have plenty of time to decide if we want to throw money at him or not.

The only thing that will keep Bonzi here is the love for Sac/Kings. I don't know if he got a strong enough bond with us in this injury ridden year. Some ppl might view Nene as a gamble, but I think that hoping Bonzi stays is a bigger gamble.
He'll be back, but we won't see the full results for a year and a half. (See Chris Webber)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Exactly.

IF we got him and parked him for the rest of the season, making sure we didn't bring him back too quickly, I'd be very tempted.

VF21 said:
^^Exactly.

IF we got him and parked him for the rest of the season, making sure we didn't bring him back too quickly, I'd be very tempted.
I would take him hands down. Nene would be perfect for our team. I do not care if we had to wait two years I would still go after him.

Y

y2kings

Nene will make a full recovery....ACL/MCL repairs are very effective nowadays since they can graft either the hamstring petella tendon....CWEBB had microfracture, which has not had great sucess in providing athletes with their previous athletic potential...jkidd, john stockton have the been the expections...as will amare if he doestn come back too early and since he's quite young.