Do you want Ron Artest on the Kings?

• Yes

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 48.5%

• Total voters

Entity

Hall of Famer
Taking the advice of Warhawk, I decided to ask this question. It is obvious that the majority don't want to rebuild the team around Ron according to the other poll. This one is simply asking if you want Ron on the team at all. Simplicity is key its Yes or No. It will be set to not show who voted for what so nobody can sway their opioion worrying about the backlash from other.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Thanks, this should be interesting.

I think starting a new poll is a better idea than arguing unrelated points in a poll asking a different question.

Yes, until a ridiculous good trade comes around(if one ever does). That's the only reason I want Ron off the team, is if it can secure an even brighter future than with him.

No. I appreciate his play the past 2 seasons, but we need to get rid of him before he explodes. Especially if we're gonna be rebuilding since its hard to do so with late lottery picks

Yes, until a ridiculous good trade comes around(if one ever does). That's the only reason I want Ron off the team, is if it can secure an even brighter future than with him.
Agreed. The one indisputable fact is that Ron is the most talented player we have had in a long time. He's still relatively young and is still getting better each season. For now we also get him for pennies on the dollar. And despite all the fear mongering, he's been on good behavior. We are a better team with him than without and unless we get better by trading him there is no reason to let him go.

If we just get rid of him for nothing then the overall talent level and assets of this team take a nose dive. It would set back our rebuilding by years.

Warhawk

Staff member
I think that those voting no would also hope to get talent in return in trade. :rolleyes:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I put no...

I love Artest as a player, but just the fact that we're a rebuilding team means this isnt the right place for him.

Gonna wish him luck wherever he goes, I think he's gonna really help out whatever team he ends up on, just like he willed us to a couple extra W's this past season.

Here's to getting more for him then we got for Bibby!

Entity

Hall of Famer
I really didn't want it to come down to and IF we get a good player in return. Well duhhh
If we got Lebron or Carmello for him then hell I want him gone as well. I know its hard with the intangibles of trades and what not but, lets try to be somewhat openminded and don't let trades weigh on the issue quite as much as the poll question in itself.

YES. Bottom line is he makes this team better with him than without him and he has not had his "inevitable blow up" so I don't know if it'll ever happen. Unless we get like a hella good player for him I say keep him.

Warhawk

Staff member
I really didn't want it to come down to and IF we get a good player in return. Well duhhh
No reason to be condescending (or a jerk) - a good trade would not necessarily bring in a LeBron but maybe a lower level player and a pick, for example. Just because some might not want him here doesn't mean they don't appreciate his talents.

Can't. Fact is Ron will not accept being on a rebuilding team. He is STILL talking about if he, Kevin, and Brad just get it together they'll be a 50+ win team! At what cost!? We need to freaking rebuild already. He doesn't fit the team just as much as the team doesn't fit him at this point.

Can't. Fact is Ron will not accept being on a rebuilding team. He is STILL talking about if he, Kevin, and Brad just get it together they'll be a 50+ win team! At what cost!? We need to freaking rebuild already. He doesn't fit the team just as much as the team doesn't fit him at this point.
I don't see how Artest does not fit into a rebuilding plan. Right now we've got 2 positions with solid players that have many years a head of them (Ron and Kevin). Assuming that Artest doesn't ask for too much money then there is no reason why we can't hold onto him for another 2-3 years. Right now Petrie (according to his recent Q&A in the Bee) is planning on making his moves in the lucrative 2010 offseason in which we will have the 3rd most available money in the league for. In fact it might behoove us to get some momentum going into the offseason by actually winning a few games to help attract a big name player (ala Bosh).

YES. Bottom line is he makes this team better with him than without him and he has not had his "inevitable blow up" so I don't know if it'll ever happen. Unless we get like a hella good player for him I say keep him.

excatly unless we can get a player that can play both sides of the ball better than Ron and that is no easy task. Sign the man to a 4-5 year deal.

I don't see how Artest does not fit into a rebuilding plan. Right now we've got 2 positions with solid players that have many years a head of them (Ron and Kevin). Assuming that Artest doesn't ask for too much money then there is no reason why we can't hold onto him for another 2-3 years. Right now Petrie (according to his recent Q&A in the Bee) is planning on making his moves in the lucrative 2010 offseason in which we will have the 3rd most available money in the league for. In fact it might behoove us to get some momentum going into the offseason by actually winning a few games to help attract a big name player (ala Bosh).
Well it's very simple. There is no way the Kings can put the team Ron wants around him together right now. Maybe even for the next 2-3 years. We have too many young players that need time to get their own games straight before we can even think about putting a team around Ron Artest. Artest won't stick around for 3 years on the off chance that we might be able to add something then. No way. And if they create the illusion that they can, or even worse, think they should, then shame on the Kings management. Artest is a good player, but the window of opportunity just isn't there. He isn't the type of player you build your team around, even if it's only for a small period of time.

Well it's very simple. There is no way the Kings can put the team Ron wants around him together right now. Maybe even for the next 2-3 years. We have too many young players that need time to get their own games straight before we can even think about putting a team around Ron Artest. Artest won't stick around for 3 years on the off chance that we might be able to add something then. No way. And if they create the illusion that they can, or even worse, think they should, then shame on the Kings management. Artest is a good player, but the window of opportunity just isn't there. He isn't the type of player you build your team around, even if it's only for a small period of time.
Unfortunately I guess I just don't see the talent that we need to develop at that position. Salmons can get a little better, but don't even compare him to the same caliber of player that Ron-Ron is now. Garcia is either gonna be a great role player on a team or a great sixth man, but he's no star. And as it stands Garcia and Salmons do find plenty of time on floor. We could try to develop these players into stars, but why bother if we have a legit star right now that still has at least 4 more years of good play left in him and maybe 7 years of solid play left baring injury. I'm not advocating building around Ron-Ron, i'm saying that you hold onto him as a major piece until that big free agent or trade comes along.

Imagine that if in 2010 we could lure Chris Bosh. The big three on our team could be Martin/Artest/Bosh. With Spencer proving that he will at least be a solid player in the league and with 2 years to fix our PG problem there's rational hope with this team to get very good with Artest.

i vote he stay for certain conditions

1. He accepts his role and lower his ego by that meaning not being a blackhole in the offense and let the ball flow...
2. keep his head cool and not be that thug instincts he has

basically hes a good player a very good defender and can be the vocal leader where martin shys away (i noticed he isnt that vocal )

BUT

if we get a sweet deal out of him then i guess im willing to take a risk of him leaving theres no other guy who plays good on both offense and defense like him :p hes not flashy like kobe or lebron...but he gets the job done

Why would you get rid of him now? even though we are rebuilding, there's no point throwing away a player who plays as well as Artest. He's holding the team together...Martin does need to be more vocal and he isn't used to leading the team... as in directing them on the floor...

im saying no, and on top of that i say that anything we get for him would be a steal, as long as we dont get longer contracts ... the way i look at it is that i dont think the majority of kings fans want him to be resigned, he'll want more money than hes making now and i think that is money better spent elseware. With this being the case if we keep ron this year, we will lose him next year which means a few things ..

1) we would get a better pick in 2009 with ron off the team
2) we can see more of our young players get time to see what we really have ( garcia or almons start for ron will give douby more time at the 2 )
3) a 'faster' rebuild, or faster player developement
4) ron is our leader in my opinion .. a year without ron we can see if kmart steps it up from 'star' to 'superstar'

hopefully i defended my vote well

Last edited:
the way i look at it is that i dont think the majority of kings fans want him to be resigned
There is no majority so far.

I was surprised at the results. I thought it would be a landslide in favor of Artest not being on the team because of the overwhelming negativity that surrounds Artest in most every thread he's mentioned in on this board. Maybe the Artest haters are just more vocal and the people that like him here are afraid to voice their opinion for fear of being ridiculed.

Warhawk

Staff member

I was surprised at the results. I thought it would be a landslide in favor of Artest not being on the team because of the overwhelming negativity that surrounds Artest in most every thread he's mentioned in on this board. Maybe the Artest haters are just more vocal and the people that like him here are afraid to voice their opinion for fear of being ridiculed.
Maybe it just depends on the question asked and the role he is to play.

Also depends on your assumptions, for instance I think this one is very impractical:

i vote he stay for certain conditions

1. He accepts his role and lower his ego by that meaning not being a blackhole in the offense and let the ball flow...
2. keep his head cool and not be that thug instincts he has
He has, for the most part, kept his cool, but he is who he is and the first one just ain't gonna happen....IMHO, of course. ;) And that may be enough to sway a vote one way or the other. People make their own assumptions when they are not laid out in black and white.

your actually right.. there is no majority so far in this particular thread, but you said it yourself in the rest of your post ( as far as you thinking it would be a landslide in losing artest ) the fact of the matter is that for the past 2 years ive herd a 100 trade artest posts to every 10 keep him posts ... i think people forget some of the bad things ( and good things of course ) that artest does during the regular season .. i for one hated our game plan down the stretch .. give it to ron and have everyone move to the other side .. then again that could be more coaching than ron being ron .. whether its majority or not is hard to figure, either way my position stays the same

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No. This team needs to be built with individuals whose character is beyond repute. Why Petrie and/or the Maloofs believe they have to lower themselves is beyond me. Doesn't this organization have enough self-esteem to believe they can build a contender without the dregs of the NBA?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, he really shouldn't. He not only does not fit, he is an active impediment to the growth of other players who may one day do so. He is also an active impediment to the development of any kind of normal team pysche. And he actually owns Coach Theus's reproductive organs, and apparently keeps them in a chest somewhere ala Davey Jones' heart in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. He says jump, Reggie asks how high.

And of course the big excuse for keeping him -- he is a great defender and the rest of the team is miserable -- of course sounds fine until you consider how completely ineffective and impactless he has been on our defense after that first 2 month period. The last couple of years Ron has been here and we have gone right on being awful. With Ron we are neither tough, defensive, nor smart and unselfish. This does not point to Ron as the cause of this disease. Its just clear that he is not the cure, and him being a savior on that front is clearly belied by all the evidence. And therefore no excuse to keep him in the face of the other issues.

Yes. Ron does make the team better and has a positive influence. He is a great player, and I appreciate the passion that he brings to the table.