Should Rick Adelman have been re-signed?

Should Rick Adelman have been re-signed?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We've had a while to digest the news. And there are tons of comments to read...

So let's reduce it to pure statistics. A simple poll. Three easy choices for your response...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Despite the legitimate doubts, think there is still an element here of "depends on who they sign to replace him". Rick was one of the best choices to coach the team next year, but there are a few others who might perform well. As well as many who will be disastrous.

Last edited:
yes. i was down on him early this year, but i think he did a great job when ron arrived. he can keep the crazies under control.

i think it would have been nice to see what Rick could do with this team in a full season. i believe he could have had a stellar year. i agree he should have been re-signed.

Yes. Despite most thinking that Ron Artest turned our seasons around, I believe that without a good coaching from Rick not even Artest would have helped us turn it around. It would have been good to see Rick coach at least a full year with this Artestified Kings team.

I choose none of the above. No matter which camp you are in what is done is done. Now I will just keep my fingers crossed that Petrie is able to find a great coach and one who Artest and Bonzi can get along with.

I voted "yes" as the obvious gut reaction, and because I see way more potential for this to go wrong than right.

Could still work out okay. Someone might come along that surprises us all. Who knows? But, if I were in control of such things, it's not the choice I'd have made.

GoGoGadget said:
I voted "yes" as the obvious gut reaction, and because I see way more potential for this to go wrong than right.

Could still work out okay. Someone might come along that surprises us all. Who knows? But, if I were in control of such things, it's not the choice I'd have made.
My thoughts exactly...

vj9999 said:
Yes. Despite most thinking that Ron Artest turned our seasons around, I believe that without a good coaching from Rick not even Artest would have helped us turn it around. It would have been good to see Rick coach at least a full year with this Artestified Kings team.
I don't want to start this into a pissing match but was anyone watching this team at the beginning of the year :eek:

They didn't care about playing and Adelman had completely lost them. Artest comes and kicks everyone in the *** and all of the sudden Adelman can coach again??? Please, one man saved this team this year and it's #93

Ryle said:
I don't want to start this into a pissing match but was anyone watching this team at the beginning of the year :eek:

They didn't care about playing and Adelman had completely lost them. Artest comes and kicks everyone in the *** and all of the sudden Adelman can coach again??? Please, one man saved this team this year and it's #93
I refuse to believe that. If we have to look to the future and believe that we are only as good as Artest is good/healthy/sane I don't like our chances.

I am not disputing that Artest was responsible in big part to our turnaround. However, I refuse to undermine the effort other guys put and I think that inserting Artest with a different coach could have had a lot different effect.

Last edited:
No doubt about it. RA should have been re-signed. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it. The next coach has very large, Shaq-like shoes to fill.

GoGoGadget said:

I couldn't agree more.

Ryle said:

Ron was motivating because he had the Freedom and space by his coach in Rick adleman To express his views on the Game. In Indiana he was supposed to be one of the top guys, But he didn't have the Freedom to Motivate the way he had the Freedom to display this new found leadership skills of his that he expressed here in Sacramento. It all depends on the situation, He came here not really Wanting to come to Sacramento, He and His agent came in with all kind of Demands as well as allot of Baggage that they needed to be accomadated with blah blah blah.

Rick allowed Ron artest Freedom of Expression in his game and Ron artest Responded in a positive fashion using his Expression on the court in the game and not in soap opera. Ron open up his leadership skills to the freedom style of coaching, The dude wanted out of Indiana Because he was tired of Being Restricted in the Rick carlise's system of constant play calling, strict post up sets and no 1 on 5 sets Ran for himself

Ron got the chance to Go Tracy McGrady and kobe Bryant 1 on 5, He got the oppurtunity to free lance with his Dribble and keep the ball for himself for 15-20 Seconds on the shot clock,Ron got the chance to play point guard,something he Craved in his Basketball Dreams, Wanting to play like Kobe Bryant and Mcgrady and if you listen to his comments about how he compares himself to Duncan and others you will see this Desire of his.

Ron had much to do with the Turn around of this season as Did the maloofs, but it wouldn't have had work if you didn't have Rick adleman. Rick adjusted to the Trade because he is a personality coach, He knew Ron would Respond well to the freedpm of putting the ball in his hands and allowing him to create as a Guard. You have a Different coach in there, Ron wouldn't be allowed to Go 1 on 5 and Bogged down the offense on the fly, A Carlimeso or any other dude wouldn't give Ron the patience or basketball on the run like this, They would make him concentrate of Defense and force him back to this role player that he hated Being.

Ron's energy had a positive Effect because of the Freedom, Ron wasted Two seasons in Indiana because of the super discpline and lack of Freedom,It had a Negative Effect on himself and the Team because he felt Restricted as a player, He wanted more, He wanted to display his point guard skills and 1 on 5 game, He exploded because he felt he was just used like a Role player.

A strict discplined Coach will have a Negative Effect on ron artest, These coaches like PJ and Van gundy will run the ship how they want to run it, They will yell, Be over Demanding, They won't let Ron Run wild with the basketball, You won't see him bringing the basketball up like a point guard, like Kobe and Mcgrady, Ron wants to play this way, They will have Ron in the post and playing Defense like a Role player. This will have a negative Effect on Ron and his Attitude,Rick gets no Credit with having teh clarivoyance in Seeing what type of dude Ron is.

Ron will see as everyone else what Effect Rick Adleman has had with this Team and The players Before and After who came to this organization.

B

beemerr23

Evenstar said:
yes. i was down on him early this year, but i think he did a great job when ron arrived. he can keep the crazies under control.
I think people give Rick too much credit when Ron came to town. Before he came here he said he was going to prove people wrong and be different. It's not like he came here as a crazed lunatic and Adelman waved his magic wand and made him into a model citizen, it was Ron who made the change for himself. No one was giving Adelman credit during the first half the year when we were 18-26, EVERYONE would have wanted him out had we have not had Artest. It's pretty apparent Artest brought us to the playoffs, not Adelman's second half coaching.

Without a doubt... NO. How many time this team fail to show up again the elite. 8 years is enough it is not about playoff anymore, sacramento fans deserve better. to many heartbreaking lose when it matter the most.

B

beemerr23

Ryle said:

Agreed, Adelman didn't just fire the team up and push us to the playoffs, it was Artest all the way. Why the newfound defense, intensity, desire to win? You can thank "Infinite Intensity" #93.

B

beemerr23

KingKong said:
No doubt about it. RA should have been re-signed. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it. The next coach has very large, Shaq-like shoes to fill.
I'm being serious here, because I'm curious as to what these shaq-sized shoes are filled of right now. What exactly has Adelman brought us, successful regular seasons and choking in the playoffs when coaching is the most apparent, effective, and critical? I fail to understand how this new coach can be any worse...

No, simply because he was not able to move the team forward in the direction that the Maloofs wanted him to. He was given ample opportunity and time to do so. On the other hand, I have no idea at this point who could do a better job and fulfill the Maloof's wishes. It seems like all the best candidates are not available. Like I said earlier, the whole situation is a double-edged sword.

I'm on both sides of the fence on this discussion. I see both sides. I see many pluses to re-signing him. I also see pluses to going in a different direction.

Since the decision has been made without consulting me first *bastards*, I don't think the discussion if he should have been re-signed is a worthwhile one. The one thing I hold on the side of *It's a good idea to go in a new direction* is I'm a firm believer that the attitude of a team starts from the coach down. Maybe this team never had the killer instinct when it mattered most, because it's coach didn't? Who knows.

All I do know is I'm looking ahead, not behind. You have to.