Votes: 48 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Probably, but let's wait

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Probably not, but let's wait

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If he gets poached to another club are y'all skeptics/haters gonna call Vivek cheap and blame him or applaud him for some godforsaken reason rather than admit the positives this guy has done are real?

Just curious.
So far only 3 people (6%) have said no don't extend him. So the sceptics are only a very small minority. And suspect they would like to be antagonists regardless of circumstance.

I am sure there is diversity in reasons for people who said yes, extend him, or probably extend him but give it a minute. Including those who think he is good/ better than good and those who may be a little unimpressed but would like stability or appreciate the nature of time. Since most said yes feel this detail is more interesting than the yes vs no chat.

So you agree that the issue is with ownership and not Monte himself. Good to know. No reason not to extend him then instead of leaving him as a lame-duck coach his first season with the head coach he selected to work with.
If that gives you comfort, go ahead and assume that. Your assumption is wrong though.

Yhall do know that this is like the most rational that Vivek has been, right? The Kangzyiest thing he could do is to extend Monte and then fire him.

Yhall do know that this is like the most rational that Vivek has been, right? The Kangzyiest thing he could do is to extend Monte and then fire him.
You extend Monte McNair with the express purpose of not firing him. And that would be the most rational thing Vivek could do, given the non-stop front office and coaching staff churn he has presided over since buying the team.

The Kangziest thing would be firing Monte and keeping Brown. Which is why a lot of people want to extend him now

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
What part of Vivek’s preferred leadership structure = I think his preferred leadership structure is flawed?
You know what, I guess I implied from your post that you didn't like his leadership. My apologies if that is incorrect. You would be the first person I've run across that actually thinks he's doing a good job.

You know what, I guess I implied from your post that you didn't like his leadership. My apologies if that is incorrect. You would be the first person I've run across that actually thinks he's doing a good job.
I don’t have a problem with his preferred leadership structure. He built a billion dollar company with that structure. We’ll see if he can build a championship hoops team with it as well.

His model ain‘t new either: https://www.amazon.com/Team-Rivals-Political-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/0684824906

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So far only 3 people (6%) have said no don't extend him. So the sceptics are only a very small minority. And suspect they would like to be antagonists regardless of circumstance.

I am sure there is diversity in reasons for people who said yes, extend him, or probably extend him but give it a minute. Including those who think he is good/ better than good and those who may be a little unimpressed but would like stability or appreciate the nature of time. Since most said yes feel this detail is more interesting than the yes vs no chat.
This part.

Warhawk

Staff member
I don’t have a problem with his preferred leadership structure. He built a billion dollar company with that structure. We’ll see if he can build a championship hoops team with it as well.
Until he gets out of his own way and lets basketball people call all the shots, he won't. He can't. He doesn't have the temperament or the skills personally to do so. You have to hire good people (that are smarter than you at what they do) and let them do it. Until he learns that lesson he won't win (say, make it to the top 4-8 teams in the league). He appears to be getting better about that, but he's going to have to learn to be an owner and not be a meddler to take the steps towards success that we want to see with this team.

Nah man look at how great extending Barnes to 20mil + and Fox to a max deal has worked out for the Kings regardless of neither earning it in the slightest. Monte has literally done nothing so far both his big moves of trading for Sabonis and drafting Mitchell are still up in the air moves currently which don't warrant anything and could turn out good or horrendous.

Until he gets out of his own way and lets basketball people call all the shots, he won't. He can't. He doesn't have the temperament or the skills personally to do so. You have to hire good people (that are smarter than you at what they do) and let them do it. Until he learns that lesson he won't win (say, make it to the top 4-8 teams in the league). He appears to be getting better about that, but he's going to have to learn to be an owner and not be a meddler to take the steps towards success that we want to see with this team.
One overlooked fact is Vivek clearly transitioned to an active management role with the Kings. Other owners, like RJP or Marc Lasry are still running their companies. RJP, at some point in the future, will likely take a management role as well.

Nah man look at how great extending Barnes to 20mil + and Fox to a max deal has worked out for the Kings regardless of neither earning it in the slightest. Monte has literally done nothing so far both his big moves of trading for Sabonis and drafting Mitchell are still up in the air moves currently which don't warrant anything and could turn out good or horrendous.
Agreed. The record has been dismal under Monte. 18 out of 30 get a chance at the Playoffs after the season ends, yet the Kings do not make it. All the hype now reminds me of when the Kings got lucky and Vlade was picking number 2-and we all know how that one turned out.

Before extending, stop the Kool-aid drinking and look at our record, our defense-27th and 30th last in the NBA, and making to the playoffs. To me the Kings are the same muddled mess as they had been under Vlade. Time will tell if things go well or poorly.

Monte, your record sucks. You signed a 3 year contract. And you have one year left on this contract. Do your job. Nothing I see suggests to me that you should be extended at this time.

Question for the contributors. Any of you have a job in which you continue to have poor results, but are offerred a guaranteed extension, a year before your existing contract is up?

Warhawk

Staff member
To me the Kings are the same muddled mess as they had been under Vlade.
But...they aren't. He's cleared out some players that were not contributing to winning, kept our draft assets in place, kept financial flexibility, brought in a 2x all-star at the trade deadline, and brought in some players that look like they could contribute to a winning team.

Does it take time to get things to start meshing, especially with injuries? Yes. But we are on the right track. He deserves time to keep molding the team into what he wants it to be.

gunks

Hall of Famer
But...they aren't. He's cleared out some players that were not contributing to winning, kept our draft assets in place, kept financial flexibility, brought in a 2x all-star at the trade deadline, and brought in some players that look like they could contribute to a winning team.

Does it take time to get things to start meshing, especially with injuries? Yes. But we are on the right track. He deserves time to keep molding the team into what he wants it to be.
Nevermind he was saddled with Luke.

If Brown, our #4 pick, and FA signings all bust then maybe we can start taking out the pitchforks, but those first two years were all about digging out of the Vlade-hole, and a deep hole that was!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Question for the contributors. Any of you have a job in which you continue to have poor results, but are offerred a guaranteed extension, a year before your existing contract is up?
Someone is driving a ship headed for a reef. You replace them and they start turning the boat around. They've got it 3/4 in the right direction but they are still closer to the reef because momentum. Congrats. You're the guy arguing to turn back towards the reef.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Someone is driving a ship headed for a reef. You replace them and they start turning the boat around. They've got it 3/4 in the right direction but they are still closer to the reef because momentum. Congrats. You're the guy arguing to turn back towards the reef.
I'd go a bit further. Someone is driving your ship towards a reef. You replace them with somebody who doesn't know how to work the controls. As the ship continues towards the reef this new person slowly learns the controls and decides to steer the ship to the right. They start turning the boat. They've got it 3/4 of the way towards missing the reef, but are still approaching the reef due to momentum. But since your ship still isn't clear of the reef, you get impatient and replace the guy who has learned the controls with a new guy who doesn't yet know the controls and wants to steer the ship to the left, at least, once he learns how to steer the ship. In the meantime, the ship is heading even closer to the reef...

I love where this has been going! This reads like 3 pages of debate between the whole board and 2-3 people, one I called out to be Ham's burner account due to the fact that he was the only one who had good things to say about Ham (haha), the Fox hater who somehow still around after we paid Fox a large amount of money and had been driving the ship with him as our spearhead figure on the court, who also happens to still fashioning a Vlade avatar, and the self-proclaimed Serbian goat.

For my headcanon, this is Ham, Vlade, and Peja arguing why they weren't failures at the executive level against the board.

Keep it going! :D

I love where this has been going! This reads like 3 pages of debate between the whole board and 2-3 people, one I called out to be Ham's burner account due to the fact that he was the only one who had good things to say about Ham (haha), the Fox hater who somehow still around after we paid Fox a large amount of money and had been driving the ship with him as our spearhead figure on the court, who also happens to still fashioning a Vlade avatar, and the self-proclaimed Serbian goat.

For my headcanon, this is Ham, Vlade, and Peja arguing why they weren't failures at the executive level against the board.

Congrats. Please re-read what you just posted. May I suggest an edit.

I actually think we have pretty decent argument, he's not really done much tbh and would rather wait and see how he goes this year before giving him more money not really that controversial. Again the whole board for the last few seasons prior to every season has been also saying how the Kings will make the playoffs and be a 45+ win team and those predictions have gone well.....

I actually think we have pretty decent argument, he's not really done much tbh and would rather wait and see how he goes this year before giving him more money not really that controversial.
Surely I lean towards giving McNair an extension but this is a take I can accept as well. No need (not saying you did, doesn't matter who did) to dig up records one way or the other for this point you are trying to make.

Did the roster with Vlade and before require a big overhaul from within the organization's structure to building the habits among the players to create a certain, ahem, "culture" in order to be successful?
Yes, since it was a completely different make-up of rosters and the desired way to compete was different from Divac and McNair.

Did we give him enough alone time (All those full-GM control discussions) to try to fix it?
Maybe, maybe not.

Did McNair and his team have success?
Obviously, we are still missing this endgame tournament where over 50% of teams are allowed.

Was our team clearly heading in the right direction now after 2-years with McNair?
Maybe. Maybe not.

If we look at it from a corporation standpoint, I supposed the extension for your GM can wait for another couple of months, as some of you suggested, to see how he performs into the next season. But it will be a dangerous game to play to let McNair in the final year of his contract going into the season unless some kind of understanding/agreement has been reached among Ranadive and McNair and that, that is something we won't have an answer for.

(Maybe Ham con confirm or deny this for us? :p )

Universally, the worst thing is to cut ties with McNair before we know for sure this is not working and avoid the next wave of Meet and Greet from even appearing.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I actually think we have pretty decent argument, he's not really done much tbh and would rather wait and see how he goes this year before giving him more money not really that controversial. Again the whole board for the last few seasons prior to every season has been also saying how the Kings will make the playoffs and be a 45+ win team and those predictions have gone well.....
so then you should have fired him before hiring a coach on a 4 year deal or forced another year of Gentry on him.

The Kangziest thing ever would be bringing a new GM into year 2 of a coach on a 4 year deal.

I don't understand why this is up for debate. It's been our circle of life for the entire Vivek regime, we've actually lost a great coach and one competent coach over it.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'd go a bit further. Someone is driving your ship towards a reef. You replace them with somebody who doesn't know how to work the controls. As the ship continues towards the reef this new person slowly learns the controls and decides to steer the ship to the right. They start turning the boat. They've got it 3/4 of the way towards missing the reef, but are still approaching the reef due to momentum. But since your ship still isn't clear of the reef, you get impatient and replace the guy who has learned the controls with a new guy who doesn't yet know the controls and wants to steer the ship to the left, at least, once he learns how to steer the ship. In the meantime, the ship is heading even closer to the reef...
Or maybe we've already hit the reef and started to sink so the old captain decided to jump overboard and make a swim for it. The new captain we've elected has patched the hull, selected a new first mate, and is now working on fixing the mast and re-rigging the sails but some elements of the crew are getting restless and plotting mutiny because his sea shanty game is subpar.

Or maybe we've already hit the reef and started to sink so the old captain decided to jump overboard and make a swim for it. The new captain we've elected has patched the hull, selected a new first mate, and is now working on fixing the mast and re-rigging the sails but some elements of the crew are getting restless and plotting mutiny because his sea shanty game is subpar.
Missing Luka definitely felt like we hit the reef and started to sink... I must admit :p

Monte has produced jack sh.. over the 2 years he has been GM. He has 1 year left under contract...on the 3 contract Monte agreed to. Real Simple..... Produce or you are out of here Monte.