Votes: 48 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Probably, but let's wait

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Probably not, but let's wait

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know what some think - but this is more a prevalence question. How many think Monte should be extended now/ heading into the draft? How many want him gone? Who thinks we should wait and see?

I personally think he should be extended for mostly basic reasons. I feel he has drafted well, had success identifying talent in some otherwise discarded players, and think he did well to get Sabonis for relatively little. I think he will make better decisions with more certainty re his role. And, more than anything, do not think I have it in me to go over another 'new GM going to do better stint.'

No he's done nothing to warrant one last year he had a roster of like 5 centers and 5 guards with one SF until the trade. All depends on his "Fox and Ox" duo and if the team is competitive under friendly game legend Mike Brown.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I guess probably. We’ll see how the draft and season goes. I’m not nearly as pumped on the team as some, but I’m just beat down by the Kings being the Kings. Hopefully he kills the draft and doesn’t big brain himself.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. If you weren't confident in him the next 2-3 years at a minimum, you shouldn't have let him hire a coach to a 4 year contract.
This is where I'm at.

IF, this ends up being another scenario where Vivek let's a GM hire a coach, fires the GM and saddles the new GM with the old GM's coach, it will be the same carousel of craptitude we've seen throughout Ranadive's tenure.

Has McNair "earned" an extension? That's definitely arguable. But some semblance of stability would be nice.

For a small market franchise with two decades of ineptitude and possibly the worst owner in the NBA there aren't any quick fixes. But we keep seeing Vivek demanding them anyway. We'll see.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Vlade got 5 years and had completely put the team over the proverbial barrel in his second (PHI trade followed by missing horribly in FA).

We just let him hire a coach, they gave Luke 2.5 years despite the team regressing from 39 wins before he was hired - and that team had 42 wins in it easily, even if they still missed the playoffs, Joerger clearly burned it down a the end - so I don't want to hear about Luke's win % - he was gifted a team ready to play around .500 ball and blew it.

So let's assume Brown won't be fired until his 3rd year in the absolute worst case. May as well extend Monte until then. Should aid with retaining Sabonis as well. If it all goes to hell, at least you can then begin rebuild 8.0 with a GM before the next coach gets hired. The way competent organizations do things.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I think that's the thing. Regardless of results, this organization needs stability. Vivek's "fail fast" ideology really doesn't work in professional sports. The players aren't "interchangeable widgets" you can just pull out and replace. Someone has to be able to figure out how to use the pieces, and if you don't feel like those pieces are the right ones, you have to find someone else who wants them. Coaches and GMs are certainly easier to replace, but at the end of the day, you need a vision, and you need everyone on board. Also, you need the time to see it through.

That said, I think Monte has earned at least a two year extension. His first off-season was brief, we dealt with an anomalous bubble, and he was still able to straighten out the roster and create some sort of direction with Fox and Sabonis heading into this off-season. The books look pretty good, and moving contracts/picks seems less daunting than it did before. A two-year contract isn't that long; if he fails, Sabonis is probably out, and so is Fox. It would be a pretty big clear-out from top to bottom, so why not invest that time and give some players/coaches a sense of stability. If anything, it'll quiet some of the whispers that I'm sure are being had at G1C.

Yes. If you weren't confident in him the next 2-3 years at a minimum, you shouldn't have let him hire a coach to a 4 year contract.
This ^. I have no faith in Monte but we have to get off the Coach/GM misalignment and mismanagement thing we have going. Monte should get 2 more years and if the team isn’t better then can his ass along with Brown and give a GM real control.

This ^. I have no faith in Monte but we have to get off the Coach/GM misalignment and mismanagement thing we have going. Monte should get 2 more years and if the team isn’t better then can his ass along with Brown and give a GM real control.
I think he finally has it... after 2 years already being on the job. I'd tie him to Sabonis signing an extension in 2 years. If he gets it done, sign him up. If not, clean house, new GM/coach and tank it up.

But yea. Start doing things properly from now on. Start with the GM hire and let him branch out his power structure. No more Dumars/Catanella/Walton/Brandon Williams types. That alone will get this franchise moving in the right direction.

I think McNair has been good at dealing with the hand he's been dealt. Maybe a little more deliberate than I would have wanted, but time will tell if his patience pays off. At a minimum, I'm happy he hasn't made what appears to be rash decisions.

With all that said, it's not my money and a GMs salary has no impact on the salary cap, so I would almost always say "yes" just for the appearance of stability's sake knowing he could be fired at any time. It's a vote of confidence and a signal around the league that there is stability with the team decision makers. I think it's part of doing business to try not to have a lame duck coach/GM for that reason, even if there's a good chance he never makes it to the end of the contract.

So let's assume Brown won't be fired until his 3rd year in the absolute worst case. May as well extend Monte until then. Should aid with retaining Sabonis as well. If it all goes to hell, at least you can then begin rebuild 8.0 with a GM before the next coach gets hired. The way competent organizations do things.
You missed a bunch of zeros right after that 8...

More like rebuild 800000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.0

:D:D:D

I voted yes, just because he should at least stick around while the current core (or what is perceived as being the current core) is in place. If it doesn't work out by then? Let him go along with the players. And then start fresh again.

If he nails this draft + makes a couple of nice trades going into the season = playoff push = excitement = rejuvenated ticket sales = bigger contract for Monte = Vivek payup. This could be opportunity knocking.

No pressure dude.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If he nails this draft + makes a couple of nice trades going into the season = playoff push = excitement = rejuvenated ticket sales = bigger contract for Monte = Vivek payup. This could be opportunity knocking.

No pressure dude.
This is a sensible take. The counter argument is that we just gave Mike Brown a 4 year contract and the franchise would benefit from the stability of having the coach and GM both under contract for the next 4 years. What happens if the team disappoints next season? Are we going to be shopping for a new GM and then making them live with Mike Brown for 3 years whether they actually agree on personnel or not? I just hope the team plays well enough next season that this takes care of itself.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This is a sensible take. The counter argument is that we just gave Mike Brown a 4 year contract and the franchise would benefit from the stability of having the coach and GM both under contract for the next 4 years. What happens if the team disappoints next season? Are we going to be shopping for a new GM and then making them live with Mike Brown for 3 years whether they actually agree on personnel or not? I just hope the team plays well enough next season that this takes care of itself.
Also what happens if he nails it and gets a huge offer from another team? We saw Denver get poached two years running. He can't have much of a buy out with only one year on his contract.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Also what happens if he nails it and gets a huge offer from another team? We saw Denver get poached two years running. He can't have much of a buy out with only one year on his contract.
Much like Sacramento has a FA tax, where we have to overpay to get similar talent, we need to be wary of this as well, and control the future of the front office when we hire competent people. If there's a mid-tier organization looking to make some moves, and they see what Monte did with what Sacramento has given them, they'll be sure to make him an offer he can't refuse. It likely won't take that much, either.

It's good business sense to keep your talent. Once they start looking, well, you're eventually toast.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
should he? yes. Will he? I think so. It's just not happening right now and I'm fine with that decision. Someone said it already, stability is the important factor here and the guy making personnel moves has to be competent at his job and Monte thus far has shown that he is.

39-43
34-48
27-55

Vlade?
It's actually Petrie's 2-4th season with the team. Results don't happen overnight, but the culture has already began to shift. If you don't make a move to keep this guy someone is going to come get him.
Matina, who actually spearheaded the Kings off the court achievements, is more likely to be poached than Monte.

39-43
34-48
27-55

Vlade?
It's actually Petrie's 2-4th season with the team. Results don't happen overnight, but the culture has already began to shift. If you don't make a move to keep this guy someone is going to come get him.
Given a determined time frame, it's about the W's. At season end, 18 out of 30 teams now, get to make a run at the playoffs. But we are not a run at the playoffs team yet.

Let's say the Kings extend Monte. And just maybe, the Kings have another 30 win season for 22-23. Now what?

Do you think the Kings, while continuing to pay Vlade, Luke, and Gentry, should also pay Monte too after 3 underwelming seasons.

If the team does well, then extend him then.. If that is the case, Cool pay him up.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Given a determined time frame, it's about the W's. At season end, 18 out of 30 teams now, get to make a run at the playoffs. But we are not a run at the playoffs team yet.

Let's say the Kings extend Monte. And just maybe, the Kings have another 30 win season for 22-23. Now what?

Do you think the Kings, while continuing to pay Vlade, Luke, and Gentry, should also pay Monte too after 3 underwelming seasons.

If the team does well, then extend him then.. If that is the case, Cool pay him up.
Yes, they need to keep him until they are at least ready to consider firing Brown. Otherwise they wind up in the same cycle of coach they won't fire with GM who doesn't get to run his team.

This is really year 1 for Monte right now.

Imagine being the Kings and firing McNair and Brown before the end of their contracts. Hiring the GM and HC is making a commitment, especially if you're the Kings in 2022. McNair has to be kept on; you can't expect a front office exec to inherit a mess and turn it around 180 degrees in a short period of time. Let him build a respectable roster and let the coach coach for long enough to make a well informed decision. The team has one of the most negative stigmas in sports specifically because of hasty decision making.

Last edited: