• Probably, but let's wait

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Probably not, but let's wait

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Was that really Petrie’s record before it got turned around?
Yes, though they did actually make the playoffs with a losing record in year 2. So perhaps that bought him some time, but I'm sure there were calls for his head after the 27 win campaign. That was the year I moved from Boston to Santa Barbara and I just remember how thoroughly depressing the fall off was after how exciting it was seeing my Sac Kings on national TV in Boston (and even in the Bahamas over spring break in 95).

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As it turns out, the vote is finalized and Vivek has decided to put this decision on hold...like lingering. So I guess, at this point, the decision maker thinks, Monte does not really deserve an extension at this point.
Vivek has so far shown himself to be a bottom five owner not just in the NBA, but across all four major sports in the US, which makes it hard to care what he thinks.

And that's the point to me.

You can argue that McNair hasn't "earned" an extension after two years on the job. Fine. I'm not even arguing that point.

The point I've made all along that continuing to let lame duck GMs fire and then hire coaches, firing/not renewing the GM, hiring the new GM and saddling them with a coach they didn't hire, is the same terrible formula that Ranadive has had his entire failed tenure as owner.

To me this isn't about McNair. It's about Vivek not learning from his mistakes.

At least McNair hasn't been a complete embarrassment for his two seasons. Vivek's been exactly that for nine seasons and counting.

No, it really isn't foolish at all. You're just short-sighted and missing the forest for the trees.

The Kings went:
39 - 43
39 - 43
34 - 48
27 - 55

Would you have fired the GM who "led them to that record" before he had a chance to put it all together? Based on your responses, I'm guessing yes.
Sir, I have not suggested "Fire the GM."

On the contrary, I have said that Monte is currently under contract for another year. Accordingly, I suggested that the Kings wait to extend his contract as more information becomes available during the last year of his existing contract. This way you just might see your way clear of not paying Monte too - like Valde, Luke and Gentry after they are on longer in their prior positions - should things not go well this upcoming year

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sir, I have not suggested "Fire the GM."

On the contrary, I have said that Monte is currently under contract for another year. Accordingly, I suggested that the Kings wait to extend his contract as more information becomes available during the last year of his existing contract. This way you just might see your way clear of not paying Monte too - like Valde, Luke and Gentry after they are on longer in their prior positions - should things not go well this upcoming year
The "more information" was signing a coach to a 4 year guarantee contract. We know the coach won't be fired before the third year, put them on the same timeline.

Seriously, if you let Monte go after 2 years with a forced utterly terrible coaching hire and 1 year after he got his guy, what credible candidate could you even bring here? What a horrible precedent that would set on top of everything else Vivek has done since he took over.

The "more information" was signing a coach to a 4 year guarantee contract. We know the coach won't be fired before the third year, put them on the same timeline.

Seriously, if you let Monte go after 2 years with a forced utterly terrible coaching hire and 1 year after he got his guy, what credible candidate could you even bring here? What a horrible precedent that would set on top of everything else Vivek has done since he took over.
No matter what you think of Monte, if you fire him next season after 1 year into his coaching hire... We aren't anything close to an upgrade GM hire. We're getting the bottom of the barrel. I get that there's only 30 jobs, but I imagine if I were near the top of the list as a potential GM hire, I'd wait it out for a franchise that didn't actively hamper me 24/7

My guess is you would kiss Sabonis good-bye too. Yeah, we can pay him a significant amount, but I seriously doubt he's going to use his prime years (and best opportunity to lead a winner) on an organization that's so incredibly dysfunctional. My guess is a big reason he's been so "pro-Kings' in a lot of his comments is he believes in the vision Monte is putting together here and likely had some input on bringing in Brown.

No matter what you think of Monte, if you fire him next season after 1 year into his coaching hire... We aren't anything close to an upgrade GM hire. We're getting the bottom of the barrel. I get that there's only 30 jobs, but I imagine if I were near the top of the list as a potential GM hire, I'd wait it out for a franchise that didn't actively hamper me 24/7

My guess is you would kiss Sabonis good-bye too. Yeah, we can pay him a significant amount, but I seriously doubt he's going to use his prime years (and best opportunity to lead a winner) on an organization that's so incredibly dysfunctional. My guess is a big reason he's been so "pro-Kings' in a lot of his comments is he believes in the vision Monte is putting together here and likely had some input on bringing in Brown.
I'm in the all out tank camp to in the hopes of getting #1 pick in 2023 (trying to acquire high probability tanking teams picks) for that French kid he's the best hope of turning the Kings around, he looks to be a legit franchise level guy which I don't believe Fox or Sabonis are even close to. You can still get decent assets for Sabonis and you try get whatever you can to drop Fox's contract. If you don't end up getting the pick you still get assets out of it trading Fox/Sabonis and a high pick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the all out tank camp to in the hopes of getting #1 pick in 2023 (trying to acquire high probability tanking teams picks) for that French kid he's the best hope of turning the Kings around, he looks to be a legit franchise level guy which I don't believe Fox or Sabonis are even close to. You can still get decent assets for Sabonis and you try get whatever you can to drop Fox's contract. If you don't end up getting the pick you still get assets out of it trading Fox/Sabonis and a high pick.
That's just not going to happen, for a variety of reasons. Not to mention that even the worst team in the NBA will have less than a 1 in 7 chance of getting the #1 pick.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
That's just not going to happen, for a variety of reasons. Not to mention that even the worst team in the NBA will have less than a 1 in 7 chance of getting the #1 pick.
We are not bad enough to tank for #1; that ship has sailed. Additionally, if we sell off Fox and Sabonis, we'd have to do so before the start of the season. It's a ridiculous proposition, but, if it were do be done, it would have to have been before Fox's extension. There's just too much NBA talent on this team right now to even sniff at a tank. Furthermore, but probably not finally, this coaching staff was not built to tank - that group left last year.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We are not bad enough to tank for #1; that ship has sailed. Additionally, if we sell off Fox and Sabonis, we'd have to do so before the start of the season. It's a ridiculous proposition, but, if it were do be done, it would have to have been before Fox's extension. There's just too much NBA talent on this team right now to even sniff at a tank. Furthermore, but probably not finally, this coaching staff was not built to tank - that group left last year.
OKC and HOU are very interesting cases, I don't follow them so perhaps their fanbases have fully embraced the tank. OKC saw two MVP and a third fringe guy all get out after some nice small market success. HOU had some good years and can handle a few lean years. But look at Portland, they were a WCF team 3 years ago, clearly the roster was not improving. They made some cap clearing moves with the intention to increase their draft stock and fans went off the rails. (and it backfired).

Kings fans, what's left of them, are not going to get into a firesale and guaranteed 2-3 more years of failure and lousy product. A .500 team that can play even 4 post season games is going to go a long way to restore the franchise with fans and agents and players. And until Philly wins a championship, or hell even makes the ECF, the process is no guarantee vs. building a team the way Golden State did. They've consistently turned mid-lotto picks into gold. Hell their highest pick remains the least impressive. But they have managed to make a former #1 overall who was considered a disappointment into a player who might attract legitimate trade interest.