San Francisco 49ers 2010-2011

Troy Smith is the new starter, he's looked really good. Looks like a real leader, smart and accurate which is huge.
Honestly, I still don't see that much difference between the two Smiths. My guess is that Alex would have been 2-1 in the last three games as well.

I'm fine with Troy continuing to start, but I'm not all that excited that the team has found its permanent quarterback yet. We still need to see a few more games.

Wow... I guess interest in this team really did die off.

I was rooting for them making the playoffs, even at 7-9, but alas the same pattern kept recurring and doomed this team. I liked the Singletary hiring originally, but I can't say I'm too upset about the firing. Just too many mistakes by too many players that never really got better as the season progressed.

Anybody have any preferences for the next coach, QB or GM?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I prefer that you don't steal any Patriots... but along those lines I think Josh McD and Alex Smith might be a good fit, but Josh isn't ready for another head coaching gig. Really if Alex ever had gotten to spend any one length of time with a single O-Coord he probably wouldn't have been ruined like he is now.

I also hope you don't take Harbaugh which will only ruin Stanford's program (my 2nd fave in the PAC) and probably not result in good things for the 9ers.

The "top prize" guys Cowher and Gruden are probably not in the running for SF. Maybe they could nab Billick. Or Fisher or Coughlin if they get fired.

Jason Garrett in Dallas and Spagnulo in Miami are two guys that most likely will be run out of town because their owners want splashy names to sell tickets, I think both of these guys could have long futures and are more victims of high expectations in tough divisions than anything else.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Harbaugh's a tough one - I'd rather him go to the NFL soon, because if not he would end up a Wolverine, and that would suck. Gruden has said that he's enjoying his cushy gig right now and doesn't want to leave Florida. Same with Cowher and Carolina (which might make sense if Fox is out.)
I feel like an offensive minded coach would be the direction that this team needs - someone that can develop consistency within the team. Pair him with a solid D Coordinator, and you're set. Jason Garrett might do a nice job. The Dallas offense was always pretty solid when healthy.

I would love for the Titans and Fisher to cut ties - he does well with what he's given. I think a lot of people underrate what he's done in Nashville. Coughlin is pretty tough and demanding, which seemed to work to a point in NYC. Not sure what went wrong there, or if it would work here.

Gruden would be my first choice, though. Then Fisher, then Billick, for some strange reason, and then Garrett.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Looks like its Harbaugh. Was kind of hoping he'd go to Denver and work with Elway (and maybe they could somehow have worked a trade with the 2nd pick overall to Carolina to get Luck) and form some kind of Stanford power base there (then I could like them again).

Congratulations (I think). At least he's not going to Michigan or Miami (Sparano, not Spagnulo the Rams coach as I mis-typed earlier, is staying put there).

I say this is a good hire. I wouldn't have minded a few others, but I'm happy with Harbaugh.

Next question is who the quarterback's going to be. I wonder how much it would take to get Kolb from Philly to either be great or hold the fort until a rookie is groomed.