San Francisco 49ers 2010-2011

I don't want Carr, him and Smith are the same to me. Bring up Nate Davis, we are going nowhere why not bring Nate in and see what happens...he is the most talented QB on the roster by far.

I'm done even pretending that Alex Smith is anything remotely resembling an NFL quarterback. I'd rather see them start some high school kid than ever see Smith take another snap from center. He's just not gonna get the job done. Period. I'm like the crowd at Candlestick... I WANT CARR!!!!!!!
Normal NFL fans: blame the kicker when you lose by 3 and there is a missed kick
San Francisco fans: blame the QB when you lose by 3 and there is a missed kick

Seriously you people even watch the game? Smith probably isn't THE GUY/franchise QB but he and Crabtree were the only reason they nearly won the game. Gore and his 2.5 yards per carry plus 2 fumbles had more to do with the loss than Smith did. This team has way more problems than Alex Smith. People who think otherwise are probably rather delusional. Secondary is slow, the defense can't stop screen passes, the safeties can't make plays. Don't forget that this defense gave up 20 points(27 minus the fumble for a TD) to the Eagles WITHOUT Vick and then Jackson didn't play for part of the game. You score 24 points and your QB passes for 300+ yards and 3 TDs then you should probably win the game.

I'm sure people watched the game... they've also been watching Alex Smith and the 49ers for the last few years, so they're a little less forgiving...

If you limit your vantage point to this game, or even this season alone -- I kind of liked what I saw from Alex at the end. Cajones to come back out there with the whole stadium booing you and play well. The rest of the team certainly did their share to make this yet another great example of the 49ers shooting themselves in the foot.

Our other options at QB are horrible, so I'm inclined to stick with the up and down Alex Smith who we at least know has some moxie. I'm ready to dump Singletary though. As far as I'm concerned the penalties and turnovers are a discipline issue and reflect directly on coaching. Also, as great of a motivator as Singletary may be, all that emotion in my mind isn't making for very clear headed decision making.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Normal NFL fans: blame the kicker when you lose by 3 and there is a missed kick
San Francisco fans: blame the QB when you lose by 3 and there is a missed kick

Seriously you people even watch the game? Smith probably isn't THE GUY/franchise QB but he and Crabtree were the only reason they nearly won the game. Gore and his 2.5 yards per carry plus 2 fumbles had more to do with the loss than Smith did. This team has way more problems than Alex Smith. People who think otherwise are probably rather delusional. Secondary is slow, the defense can't stop screen passes, the safeties can't make plays. Don't forget that this defense gave up 20 points(27 minus the fumble for a TD) to the Eagles WITHOUT Vick and then Jackson didn't play for part of the game. You score 24 points and your QB passes for 300+ yards and 3 TDs then you should probably win the game.
Niner fans are, however, used to Joe Cool and Steve Young bailing us out.

Niner fans are, however, used to Joe Cool and Steve Young bailing us out.
This is true. Heck at this point I would take Garcia and Mooch but they aren't walking through that door. Fact is we have a horrible ownership and we have poor coaching and we don't have a head football guy like a Parcells who knows what they're doing. This organization is a mess and needs to be rebuilt.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This is true. Heck at this point I would take Garcia and Mooch but they aren't walking through that door. Fact is we have a horrible ownership and we have poor coaching and we don't have a head football guy like a Parcells who knows what they're doing. This organization is a mess and needs to be rebuilt.
I've been clamoring for a guy like Gruden for a while now.

Mike's in your face approach worked for a while but now this team seems to be lacking the ability to execute. They have plenty of attitude but lack the ability to cut back on stupid mistakes. Alex Smith may not be Joe Montana or even Jeff Garcia but having a O-Line that jumps whenever their nose itches doesn't help anything.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
but having a O-Line that jumps whenever their nose itches doesn't help anything.
This.

The OL is made up of either 1st or 2nd rounders. There's no excuse for allowing so much penetration on the last play (OK, most of the game). And the penalties are inexcusable. That's a lot to put on Smith to constantly have to work from 2nd and 15 to go, or such nonsense. I'm not a Smith fan, and it may look like he's thinking too much at times. Some of his drives, though, DID look pretty sharp.
The defense can't do it alone, though. They did their job last night...mostly.

I don't know what to say about Alex Smith. I texted a friend that's a Niner fan last night after the fumble and the next three and out, when it looked like Smith was about to be benched (and deserved to be), and told him that I'm done defending him. Then, he gets in Singletary's face, looked like he really sold himself to the coach and got one last chance, and he went out and went 10-11, 110 yards and 2 TDs on the next two drives, and puts his team in position to win. I think you have to ride Smith for the rest of the year, and either he proves himself or he shows that he's not the guy, and you can move on and never look back. I still think it sucks that he's never had any continuity at head coach or offensive coordinator (six coordinators in six years is ridiculous), and I partly blame all the changes for his poor performance. And it's obvious that his teammates believe in him, because they were arguing for him last night. I don't think he's the guy, but I know David Carr isn't, so you might as well stick with Smith and then turn the page after this season.

Andrew Luck is a Stanford guy. People that go to Stanford go for degrees. Hard to see him leave school early. But bring on coach chucky please!

I don't get the chant for Carr at all. Before the last interception his QB rating was over 100 for the game. And it's not like those last couple of drives should have been surprising. Smith has always shown the ability to play his best in tough situations.

I mean, the fumble was pretty bad, but it should be obvious that Smith is hardly to blame for this year's record. It's just been a serious of critical mistakes by a bunch of different people at important times. Normally those things even out, or you come out ahead if you're a good team. So the fact that they've come out behind in those things five times in a row means the 49ers are either having really bad luck or they're just a bad team. I think the bad luck option is a real possibility and I'd like to see them play the rest of the year with basically the same group to find out. I do not want to start over again until I feel more sure about that answer.

I like Jed's spirit, but we need our NFC West foes to underestimate us, not give them bulletin board material to actually guarantee ourselves a shot at winning some division games, much less the division title....

I like Jed's spirit, but we need our NFC West foes to underestimate us, not give them bulletin board material to actually guarantee ourselves a shot at winning some division games, much less the division title....
I'm guessing that statement was more for the 49ers to hear than anybody else. After this kind of start all the talk will be about who gets fired and who gets benched, and I'm guessing York wanted to nip a lot of that in the bud.

Either that or he's just young and enthusiastic.

Hmm... nothing like a craptastic 0-5 start to dampen enthusiasm. :)

Just thought I'd give thoughts on the win. It seemed basically the same as four of the other five games they played. The difference seemed to be that the errors were penalties instead of turnovers, they played a bad team that also made errors, and luck kind of went their way. Smith's QB rating starting with the final drive of the first half was well over 100, which is normal. He has very good spurts and bad spurts. This time the batted ball wasn't caught and they ended up with a win.

I'm expecting more of the same in the next few weeks and just hoping that they get a few breaks and slowly reduce those errors. There's still hope for the playoffs.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At least now people know why he's the backup. Not that Smith has been better.
At least Smith had the team scoring in between interceptions and mistakes. Carr didn't even give us that. Really he's Shaun Hill without the savvy or intensity, noodle-arm to the max

Shaun Hill is loads better than Carr, with Carr the only way the offense can move is if we run it. He is worse than Smith. I'd rather play the other Smith if Alex is hurt or Nate Davis. We know what Carr gives you and it's nothing.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Troy Smith is pretty worthless as well. Might as well see what Nate Davis can do. What, the Niners lose again?

Troy Smith is pretty worthless as well. Might as well see what Nate Davis can do. What, the Niners lose again?
I felt that Nate Davis was the most talented QB on the Niners prior to the season, just not quite ready. Of course, none of the others are ready either so we might as well give him a chance. IMO, he is the only QB on the team with a chance of being a good starting QB. The other should never be more than backups.

I can't believe people wanted Carr to play.
Nor can I. It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Just shows how much Alex Smith has worn on the fanbase. It's sad, really, that there was a full-throated chant for such an incompetent quarterback that has never done anything in the NFL in eight years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A good friend and long-time fellow Niners fan said tonight he'd almost accept Jeff Garcia back for the rest of the year. Now that's a disheartened fan...

I can hear Dandy Don's voice: "Turn out the light, the party's over..."