San Francisco 49ers 2010-2011

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There should be a NFL thread somewhere for those who are not fans of the 49ers and can just talk abou football in general, I just don't know how many football fans there are lurking here on this forum.

There should be a NFL thread somewhere for those who are not fans of the 49ers and can just talk abou football in general, I just don't know how many football fans there are lurking here on this forum.
You can start one. :)

There's just a lot more "vocal" 49ers fans here than any other team. There's no rule preventing threads about football in general or the NFL in general.

Well that sucked. I almost think it's good this team got a wake up call in the first game. The last couple years we've started off 2-0 and fell off the face of the planet. Maybe we'll sharpen up after this but I don't say this with huge confidence. The o line and playcalling were terrible. Alex needs to stop putting so much air under his touch passes. Those two missed tds set the tone of the game.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know what happened with the 9ers today, sloppy sloppy football, I think they forgot that this is the regular season. I did not expect them to get dominated like they did, it doesn't help that Frank Gore was not a facor what so ever.

Problem was they got in the redzone early and couldn't get touchdowns, it was pathetic. Early on they were moving the ball up the field but couldn't get the TD's, near half time it should have been 21-0. The line was bad and had no push whatsoever so I can't blame Gore since he was running into a brick wall. Coaching and playcalling was poor and Alex started being very innacurate like usual.

No way we should of lost this game.

Thankfully everyone else in our division lost this week so we have a chance to prove that last weekend was an aberration. I'm not expecting a win necessarily over the Saints, but a much much better effort at least.

Thankfully everyone else in our division lost this week so we have a chance to prove that last weekend was an aberration. I'm not expecting a win necessarily over the Saints, but a much much better effort at least.
Yep, and I still think 9-7 or even 8-8 wins weak NFC West. Just survive and finish first - see what happens in the playoffs. Niners are 5 1/2 pt dog at home against New Orleans. Only way they win this one is keep Brees off the field amap. Gore has to run well with smart clock management by Smith - besides just getting the plays in from Sing?! I think Alex should be given freedom to call certain plays at the line the way big time audibling QB's like Brees, Manning, others do all the time. GO NINERS!

Niners played excellent but just came up a bit short at the very end. Great comeback against the champs thanks to Alex Smith showing his leadership and poise - plus his fast legs on big sprints in view for a change. I always knew he was very good athlete, even a great one for a QB. At Helix High School in San Diego he ran the option with his tailback Reggie Bush and was often over a hundred yards rushing along with Bush. In college at Utah under Coach Urban Meyer he also ran the option constantly throwing, sprinting out of the shotgun. Finally, after 6 years of slowing getting there, learning the NFL ways, we're starting to see just how talented overall Alex Smith really is.

Last edited:
Holy crap what a game. Reminiscent of the Steelers game a few years back, only this time Alex didn't get injured so hopefully we can build into next week

i got a few questions for the coaching staff tho---
--why a rookie on the most critical punt return of the game?
--why keep throwing the ball on the 4th q drive once we get inside the 20 with a minute and a half left?
--why go into prevent on the final saints drive of the game? we essentially gave up 30 yards free in all of 20 seconds to set up the final FG

overall a fantastic effort tho...feels good to scream for the niners in meaningful spots again and have them actually come through. game for the ages even if we're on the short end--hopefully a turning point for this team into being a serious threat

We lost this game for 1 reason, too many mistakes...not small mistakes...MASSIVE mistakes! Are you kidding me Delanie Walker fumbling at the 5 yard line. I am sure we would of got a TD on that drive and then spotting the Saints 2 points to begin it. Those were just two of the biggest. There were much more that just hurt us too much. Self inflicted.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We lost this game for 1 reason, too many mistakes...not small mistakes...MASSIVE mistakes! Are you kidding me Delanie Walker fumbling at the 5 yard line. I am sure we would of got a TD on that drive and then spotting the Saints 2 points to begin it. Those were just two of the biggest. There were much more that just hurt us too much. Self inflicted.
I agree. This loss was self-inflicted. In order to take that next step and become a good team, we've got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

This was an insane game to be at. It was hilarious seeing people leave after the punt fumble that lead to the saints taking an 8 point lead and seeing them rush back to their seats once Alex started driving us to try and tie the game. How do you leave when we're only down 8? Anyways, seeing how the place erupted when the 2pt conversion was ruled good was a sight I had never seen before. And then in a matter of a couple of minutes the game was over. Definitely your typical high/low feeling.

The play calling after the first 2 drives was really impressive. And our offense actually looked more impressive than the Saints O. I give so much credit to our defense. And Patrick Willis is just... Incredible. He was everywhere. And making huge hits after huge plays.

All in all we played a great game with a great game plan(and even made great adjustments after the half) but you can't shoot yourself in the redzone that many times against the defending champs and expect to win. I think we've found enough of a groove though to win the next 2 games(even if we're playing in hostile environments). 2-2 after four games, calling it right now!

Great game to watch on TV, too. The last few years this team has always been good enough to win if the breaks go their way and lose if they don't. Now I think they're good enough to win even when the breaks don't go their way, but the missed scoring opportunities in the last two games was just too much. I think there were like six drives in those two games inside the 30 where mistakes or turnovers meant only 6 points total among them. I'm hoping that as the team matures they grow out of those things.

i got a few questions for the coaching staff tho---
--why a rookie on the most critical punt return of the game?
--why keep throwing the ball on the 4th q drive once we get inside the 20 with a minute and a half left?
--why go into prevent on the final saints drive of the game? we essentially gave up 30 yards free in all of 20 seconds to set up the final FG
I thought all those were decent decisions.
-- Who else should be back there? They were down at the time and could use a decent return, which Adams had been giving.
-- No timeouts means that they only had time for a few running plays. That's too risky until you're inside the 10 (which is when they ended up running).
-- That worked ok, the problem was the big throw to Colston which wasn't because of the defense giving the receivers room.

I thought all those were decent decisions.
-- Who else should be back there? They were down at the time and could use a decent return, which Adams had been giving.
-- No timeouts means that they only had time for a few running plays. That's too risky until you're inside the 10 (which is when they ended up running).
-- That worked ok, the problem was the big throw to Colston which wasn't because of the defense giving the receivers room.
--Moran Norris, Delanie Walker...even Crabtree would've been better. remember adams nearly muffed another one on a nearly identical play where he couldnt decide whether to field it or not and decided to just stand directly under the ball and try to run out of the way when it landed with inches of him. it was a dumb play both times and he was lucky to not have muffed two.
--running the ball is NOT risky when your inside the 20, have more than a minute left, and are in four down territory. it really would only take one run to run off a bunch of time or force NO to burn a timeout. they didn't even bother. the last run was good, but they waited too long to go to it.
--they weren't in prevent on the colston throw. i was talked about the two or three plays before that. the saints started inside their own 20 and the niners fell back to give them anything they wanted within 10 yards or so, meaning the saints could get to midfield in no time at all, letting them set up the rest of the drive with time to burn. as madden says (i think it was madden), the only thing the prevent d prevents is you from winning.

anyways it was a great game overall, and even without those mistakes the saints might easily have won anways

i'd also add that 0-2 this year feels much better than 2-0 last year. this team looks more talented than since the mooch days, and having a full coaching staff return should help us enormously. i think we can easily go 5-0 in the divison the rest of the way and sniff 10 wins. nfc west is still ours to lose

--Moran Norris, Delanie Walker...even Crabtree would've been better. remember adams nearly muffed another one on a nearly identical play where he couldnt decide whether to field it or not and decided to just stand directly under the ball and try to run out of the way when it landed with inches of him. it was a dumb play both times and he was lucky to not have muffed two.
--running the ball is NOT risky when your inside the 20, have more than a minute left, and are in four down territory. it really would only take one run to run off a bunch of time or force NO to burn a timeout. they didn't even bother. the last run was good, but they waited too long to go to it.
--they weren't in prevent on the colston throw. i was talked about the two or three plays before that. the saints started inside their own 20 and the niners fell back to give them anything they wanted within 10 yards or so, meaning the saints could get to midfield in no time at all, letting them set up the rest of the drive with time to burn. as madden says (i think it was madden), the only thing the prevent d prevents is you from winning.
--Reggie Bush who's been returning punts for years also muffed one. I'm not sure any of the other guys you mentioned has any experience fielding punts. That would be even worse when it was so windy than leaving the rookie in.
--As for running the ball, I'm not sure they expected to score on that first try, but I understand your concern.
--Finally I never liked that "prevent" quote. Teams wouldn't use the prevent so often if it really failed that badly. The Saints only got about 20 yards from the first two plays and still needed 30 yards in about 40 seconds with one timeout to get the field goal range to under 40 yards. The prevent is supposed to prevent 30 yard plays like the one that essentially won the game for the Saints, they just executed better on that one.

Agreed on the rest. I definitely think the 49ers should still be the favorites in the division. and maybe in January they'll have fixed some of these issues and will be able to beat teams of the Saints caliber.

Even with a weak division we won't win it and maybe that's good. It is VITAL that Smith, Sing and Raye are gone after this season. It is vital that we get a coach who has done it and been a success before. I'd love for us to get Gruden. We look like the worst team in football again. Certain guys are weighing us down. We've seen it with our Kings the difference a good coach can do and how a bad coach can destroy a team.

This is beyond sad and pathetic.

Even with a weak division we won't win it and maybe that's good. It is VITAL that Smith, Sing and Raye are gone after this season. It is vital that we get a coach who has done it and been a success before. I'd love for us to get Gruden. We look like the worst team in football again. Certain guys are weighing us down. We've seen it with our Kings the difference a good coach can do and how a bad coach can destroy a team.

This is beyond sad and pathetic.
Did you take these words right out of my mouth? I'm usually not the dramatic type that says we need to fire the coach and get rid of the main weapon(smith) but it's time. The aura of the team is shot. Major changes needed.

Somebody grab a fork and stick it in them. They may be capable of winning the division still (only cause it is weak), but I'm not sure they deserve it the way they have started the season.

Jimmy Raye has been fired, 1 down and 2 to go.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...e-coordinator-jimmy-raye?module=breaking_news

Quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson will take over offensive coordinator duties, according to the source.
I'm usually deadset against changing key personnel midseason, but Raye has been bad this year. Can't blame him entirely, but the playcalling has been suspect and it's taken the offense practically all game to find any kind of rhythm, if ever. They looked really good at the end of the Saints game on Monday, but yesterday was a joke. If they don't finish strong, Singletary will be out also. This move is an effort to save his job. Might not work. There are a lot of highly regarded coaches available.

Gruden was mentioned, and he got his start with the Niners. He also moved around with Mike Holmgren, so if Mangini gets axed, he'd likely be a front runner there as well. I'd rather take the Niners job than the Browns job. There's also Cowher (though he's waiting for Wade Phillips to get fired in Dallas), Leslie Frazier in Minnesota, Gregg Williams in New Orleans, etc. But I think the Niners should be looking for an offensive minded coach, and Jason Garrett comes to mind. Rick Dennison is overdue, but a little older for a first time head coach. Joe Philbin might be a candidate also.

The Niners should be looking for a coach who is truly a head coach. Nolan was a D coordinator and Singletary is a motivational speaker. They need someone who is capable of doing the particular job of a NFL head coach. This means knowing the other teams, having a strategy for each game, keeping tabs on the little details and making adjustments at halftime. They need a guy adept at making decisions and choices. Whether he is offensive minded or defensive minded is secondary to this.

The Chiefs have a O coordinator and D coordinator with resumes good enough to get a NFL job, but Haley is the Head Coach and the guy who organizes the overall team. He took out his defensive linemen who was frustrating the Niners rookie all game because he didn't want to get another altercation and ejection that might swing the flow of the game. Meanwhile, why wasn't anyone on the Niners calming the rookie down? Alex needs to do that, Singletary needs to do that. That is one of the differences between a Head Coach and a single job coach.

Am I the only one who thought the Chiefs got away with a lot in this game. I mean, other than the amount of blocks in the back they got away with, they also got away with plenty of crack blocks onto our linebackers on those quick hitch passes or outlet passes and screens too. Am I wrong, or aren't those blocks illegal?

Also, a video just came out that shows the defensive end(shaun smith) who Anthony Davis punched and killed a drive for us had actually grabbed Davis' "parts".

...meanwhile, St. Louis Rams are in first place. I predicted Niners would win division in this thread at 8-8. Obviously, they need to win that first game to have some hope. Now, maybe it will end up in a two or even three way tie at 8-8 with tie breakers determining who wins NFC West.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I still have hope for the 49ers this year. I think there's a lot of talent there that just hasn't gotten it together yet. Of course, I still have the same lack of faith in Alex Smith so who knows? ...sigh...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm done even pretending that Alex Smith is anything remotely resembling an NFL quarterback. I'd rather see them start some high school kid than ever see Smith take another snap from center. He's just not gonna get the job done. Period. I'm like the crowd at Candlestick... I WANT CARR!!!!!!!