San Francisco 49ers 2010-2011

Season is almost here! Training camp starts Monday and now we have all our picks signed except OG Mike Iupati.

I have a feeling it's going to be a great season! :D

I'm pretty sure Iupati signed.

Can't wait for this season. We should honestly win the division by default; it's that bad haha.

The division is weak, but the Niners have a surprisingly tough schedule this year. They've got to take care of their division games if they want to win the division, because even though the Cardinals aren't going to be as good as they were the past couple of years, they have an easier schedule (if you ask me), plus two years of making the playoffs and such. But this is definitely the Niners hump year. I'm pulling for them.

This the first time Alex Smith has had the Offensive Coordinator for more than 1 season. Everyone says he's had a phenomenal off season. Combined with the newly drafted beef on the OLine and Crabs and VD, this is going to be an exciting season.

I read that Coffee may want to go into some sort of ministry. His timing isn't good, but if he really wants to do something else I can understand why he's leaving.

You can become a minister whenever you want. Why waste an opportunity to be a professional athlete? Geez man, not to start a rift or anything, but religion can really mess with peoples' heads.

I didn't see the game - did Alex Smith look as bad as his stat line? Any breakdown of the three QBs today?
He missed Vernon Davis on an easy route that would have been a sure TD.

I hope I'm wrong but he just looks "scared" too much for my taste. He gets quick feet and releases too early.....

Dixon looked really good. While guys like Coffee and Clayton have racked up yards in past preseasons, they never showed either the power or the elusiveness that Dixon did.

I didn't see the game - did Alex Smith look as bad as his stat line? Any breakdown of the three QBs today?
He didn't look as bad as his stat line, but he didn't look great either. I thought he made good decisions, but two throws in particular were behind the receiver that would have changed the statline completely. The throw to Davis would have been a long touchdown and a similar one to Walker (I think) also didn't lead him out far enough so the defender was able to get a hand in to deflect it. That was the interception. If he leads his tight end properly on both those plays, he's 5/9 for 100+ yards and a touchdown and no INTs.

Wow... Bryan Westbrook signs for one year:

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-event...estbrook/aa722191-7f80-4cda-8fec-da85b45012da
The San Francisco 49ers announced that they have signed RB Brian Westbrook to a one-year deal.

The two-time Pro Bowler (2004 & 2007) now joins RB Frank Gore to form one of the most potent running back tandems in the NFL.

So now Gore and Westbrook have each other if one goes down with an injury, and if they're both healthy then this team has two top running backs.

Perfect sigining. Dixon gives them a backup powerback, so a change-of-pace guy like Westbrook is exactly what they needed. Best of luck to Coffee in his life pursuits, but his absence is now totally irrelevant.

Also, Balmer was traded to Seattle (Scot McCloughan's new stop) for a 6th rounder, so that's closure on two mystery absences. Obviously, it was all part of an evil multi-year scheme by Scoty Mac to burn one of our firsts, have Balmer pretend to be a total bust, and then take him to another team for a song. :p I'm loving all the moves the Niners have made since they fired him.

There's something about trading away your former first round draft pick for a future sixth round draft pick two years after you draft him that is a little disheartening.

The Westbrook signing is brilliant. And perfect. Takes a ton of pressure off of Gore, and gives Smith an easy target in the passing game. Westbrook is one of the best receiving backs in the NFL.

I'm not 100% behind Alex yet, but last night was a big step for me. He looked like an NFL QB against a top notch Viking D. What might be more impressive is he didn't have Gore, Davis or Crabtree out there with him.

Quote:
NFC WEST

1. Arizona Cardinals
Projected record: 9-7

BEST-CASE SCENARIO
A mature Matt Leinart looks a little more like Kurt Warner than critics expected, while the defense looks exactly as it always does.

WORST-CASE SCENARIO
Leinart doesn't even look like Leinart, while D collapses into the hole left by departed LB Karlos Dansby (109 tackles last season).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Seattle Seahawks
Projected record: 7-9

BEST-CASE SCENARIO
New coach Pete Carroll jacks up the franchise with an influx of talent, especially rook S Earl Thomas.

WORST-CASE SCENARIO
Rookie LT Russell Okung fails to fortify a porous O-line, speeding QB Matt Hasselbeck's end, while the secondary shows it needs more than Thomas to make it whole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. St. Louis Rams
Projected record: 6-10

BEST-CASE SCENARIO
QB Sam Bradford mimics Matt Ryan's first year: 3,440 yards, 61% completion rate. Better yet, DE Chris Long grows sick of being seventh-best on the team in stops.

WORST-CASE SCENARIO
Four words: a Steven Jackson injury. Because then the lack of a serviceable backup buries the O.

4. San Francisco 49ers
Projected record: 6-10

BEST-CASE SCENARIO
Improving QB Alex Smith takes another big stride forward, and the Niners are happy to cash in on overall divisional mediocrity.

WORST-CASE SCENARIO
Smith and the Niners D -- which allowed 100 fewer points last season vs. 2008 -- forget all that they've learned.

Sorry, I don't have a link because I found this on another site. Feel free to delete if it is not allowed per site rules.

Anyways, does this nonsense even deserve a response?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NINERS!!!

Gotta love the effort. And a win against the Raiders is ALWAYS sweet! I wasn't too pleased with Carr's signing but he put it out there tonight and I think the younger players may have learned a thing or two about heart and effort.

David Carr's head long cartwheel for that first down was critical, showing he's not a wimp, accepts leadership role. Anybody who saw his toughness at Fresno St. or as most heavily rushed, hurried, sacked, and generally slamed into turf QB in NFL history with Houston knows he can do some things in and out of the pocket - especially when given time. Looks like both Niners and Raiders have very capable backup QBs - it's up to their starting signal callers to lead them that "next level."

So what does everybody expect for this season? I'll be disappointed with anything short of the playoffs, but I'll be thrilled with them actually making it. So really there is no "meets expectations" option for me (which is actually pretty unusual for me). Playoffs - happy, no playoffs - sad.

Seemingly weakest division in NFL. 8-8 could win it with 9-7 almost guaranteed. Arizona is worse at this point and they won division at 10-6 last season and 9-7 year before - making it all the way to Super Bowl. Seattle is nowhere again, as far as a playoff team. St. Louis is probably a bit better but still at bottom of the heap. Niners need to win the division to get in playoffs since it's very unlikely as a wild card.

I'll project:

San Fran 8-8
Arizona 7-9
Seattle 6-10
St. Louis 4-12

If Alex uses his weapons, this team is going to the SB IMO. The defense is nasty and sing and Manusky are gonna bring the heat this year. The offense has a really good mix of options that I think defenses are going to have a hard figuring out how to stop. Should be a fun year. 8-8, IMO, is pretty low. I honestly feel that 9-7 would be their worst possible record, and 11-5 is where I see them finishing.

I will be dissappointed if the Niners don't make the playoffs this season. There really is no excuse for them not winning their division with how weak it is. That being said, I am not expecting great things from Alex (just not a believer in him). I will be happy if he can be good enough not to make the mistakes that lose games. If he can do that, the Niners should be good enough to go 9-7, or 10-6. If they want to make a run for the Super Bowl in the near future though, I think they still need to upgrade the quarterback position. Personally, I am not sure that they don't already have that future QB in Nate Davis, but time will tell.