Sam Smith: Peja Stojakovic for Eddy Curry

209KingsFan

You guys have to just accept that Kings-haters are abundant. When and if the Kings win it all this year, a lot of media types will be eating crow.

Who would have thought Detroit could have won it last year? (Of course they did have 'Sheed so maybe not a good example, but you get the point).

Bricklayer said:
From the little I know of Jim Kozimor is that any surprise?

He's the ultimate uber-weenie. Too bland and lightweight to actually dislike, but we absolutely no guts or edge whatsoever. Might make a good Mr. Rogers repalcement if they ever decide to remake that show. ;)
Heh. Mr Rogers...

Hey, Rogers was a badass! Ever see that episode where he took us to a biker bar, and got into a brawl with the local chapter of the hell's angels (Can you say... methamphetamine?) all culminating in Mr. Rogers beating a 300 pound biker to death with his own motorcycle?

Yeah, Mr. Rogers... badass

209KingsFan said:
You guys have to just accept that Kings-haters are abundant. When and if the Kings win it all this year, a lot of media types will be eating crow.

Who would have thought Detroit could have won it last year? (Of course they did have 'Sheed so maybe not a good example, but you get the point).
Even when Detriot got Rasheed, there where many sports reporters who flatly wrote that its not going to do much of a difference, and the same writers are full of flattery abt the cohesiveness of the team and how marvelous the Pistons are. So we will win not matter what the media has to say.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Insomniacal Fan said:
Hey, Rogers was a badass! Ever see that episode where he took us to a biker bar, and got into a brawl with the local chapter of the hell's angels (Can you say... methamphetamine?) all culminating in Mr. Rogers beating a 300 pound biker to death with his own motorcycle?

Yeah, Mr. Rogers... badass
That sounds like an episode of "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" - with Eddie Murphy on SNL.

:D

You know, a trade with Chicago might represent the perfect way to get Chris Webber's salary off of y'all's books. Take the following trade for instance:

Sacramento trades:
PF Chris Webber(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 36.1 minutes)
PF Peja Stojakovic(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 36.1 minutes)
PG Bobby Jackson(13.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.1 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Sacramento receives:
PF Antonio Davis(8.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.1 minutes)
SF Eddie Robinson(6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
C Eddy Curry(14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.5 minutes)
PG Kirk Hinrich(12.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 6.8 apg in 35.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +9.7 ppg, +7.8 rpg, and +3.8 apg.

Chicago trades:
Chicago receives:
PF Chris Webber(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 23 games)
PF Peja Stojakovic(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 23 games)
PG Bobby Jackson(13.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.1 apg in 50 games)

Change in team outlook: -9.7 ppg, -7.8 rpg, and -3.8 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Sacramento and Chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and Chicago had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------

While this trade might initially look like a terrible expedient to a Kings fan, keep in mind the fact that Davis and Robinson only have one year left on their contracts, whereas Webber has three. In this situation, you would be essentially be exchanging Webber's terrible contract, for two expiring contracts. You would be trading away one very good, 31 year old point guard, who has already expressed his intent to demand a very high salary next year in BJax, for the far younger, cheaper Kirk Hinrich. And you would be trading away your trade-demanding, sharp-shooting Peja for the gifted, but worrisome big-man services of Eddy Curry.

Now, I know this trade would be a step back for y'all this year, but my bet would be that the Kings would end up being in much better shape in two or three years time if they actually did something like this, rather than continuing to try to build Webber-centered Kings teams for the next three-plus seasons...

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Evilmav2 said:
You know, a trade with Chicago might represent the perfect way to get Chris Webber's salary off of y'all's books. Take the following trade for instance:

Sacramento trades:
PF Chris Webber(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 36.1 minutes)
PF Peja Stojakovic(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 36.1 minutes)
PG Bobby Jackson(13.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.1 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Sacramento receives:

Change in team outlook: +9.7 ppg, +7.8 rpg, and +3.8 apg.

Chicago trades:
Chicago receives:
PF Chris Webber(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 23 games)
PF Peja Stojakovic(18.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.6 apg in 23 games)
PG Bobby Jackson(13.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.1 apg in 50 games)

Change in team outlook: -9.7 ppg, -7.8 rpg, and -3.8 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Sacramento and Chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and Chicago had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------

While this trade might initially look like a terrible expedient to a Kings fan, keep in mind the fact that Davis and Robinson only have one year left on their contracts, whereas Webber has three. In this situation, you would be essentially be exchanging Webber's terrible contract, for two expiring contracts. You would be trading away one very good, 31 year old point guard, who has already expressed his intent to demand a very high salary next year in BJax, for the far younger, cheaper Kirk Hinrich. And you would be trading away your trade-demanding, sharp-shooting Peja for the gifted, but worrisome big-man services of Eddy Curry.

Now, I know this trade would be a step back for y'all this year, but my bet would be that the Kings would end up being in much better shape in two or three years time if they actually did something like this, rather than continuing to try to build Webber-centered Kings teams for the next three-plus seasons...
With that talent evaluation acumen I think I have discovered why you esteem Greg Ostertag and Shawn Bradley so highly. :rolleyes:

Wow....Evilmav that is quite possibly the worst.....trade...........ever!

sharp-shooting Peja for the gifted, but worrisome big-man services of Eddy Curry.
Gifted? Who said Curry was ever gifted?

So basically we give up C-Webb, who when healthy is 20-10-5 guy (and sometimes even when he's not), Peja, probably the best pure shooter in the league and an MVP candidate last year, and B-Jax, once again a perenial 6th-man candidate, for....a has-been, a never-will be, a moderate point guard and a overweight center who should have gone to college? Even with the expiring contracts that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Are you sure YOU aren't Sam Smith in disguise?

Last edited:
bdouble013 said:
Are you sure YOU aren't Sam Smith in disguise?
You discovered my secret:D .

Seriously though... I know Mr. Webber has been looking decent in the pre-season, but if his medical condition worsened, I would bet that this deal represents quite precisely the kind of bullet that Petrie would have to bite if the organization decided it was time to get him off the roster.

Of course, if the collective bargaining agreement changes next year, Webber's contract might become more movable (particularly if the rumored bad contract 'forgiveness' clause is implimented), and obviously, if Webber's surgically repaired knee has in fact fully recovered, the impetus to ship him out of Sacramento would be lessened...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...sigh...

I think that particular equine has assumed room temperature. The most logical thing would be to stop striking it - at least for now.

nice retranslation VF :D

The Maloofs would take the place of Donald Sterling as "most ridiculed owner" if that trade ever went down...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Eddy is the kind of player who's "pontential" will expounded untill he is in his 30's. If you don't do much you always have "potential" as a chronic underachiever he has yet do move from having "potential"to having a good game. I for one question weather he ever will.

Last edited:
he will if he has the right motivation. if he can get with the program, i don't doube he can develop to a top center. he has all the tools: he's physical, has a very good touch around the basket, can rebound very well when he wants. his problems are that he's not very agressive, he takes plays off because he simply doesn't want to play, and his worth ethic. he doesn't work out, doesn't stay in shape and doesn't listen to the coaching staff. it has been his downfall the past 2 seasons. he always turns it on mideseason, when he actually rounds to form. the problems are fixable, but i do agree with what you said about his potential. i think he will reach it, however.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Eddy is rather less skilled than people give him credit for. He's a one dimensional player. Uses his bulk for an effective offensive post game. But does not rebound. Does not help defend. Does not pass. He might very well be able to average 18ppg some day. Along with 6.5rebs and 0.8blks. Kind of reminds me a bit of Kevin Duckworth.

Good comparison with Duckworth.

As an aside, was Duckworth even considered a good starting NBA center? Sure he played for a good team in Portland and he was an above average scorer for a starting center, but being that he was also a horrible rebounder, shot blocker -- could he even be considered anything more than an 'average NBA center' back in the late 80s, early 90s?

Maybe Curry has a bit more upside as a scorer in terms of being more efficient -- but it does seem that Curry is following in Duckworth's path thus far in terms of his overall effectiveness as a center.

Come to think of it, did Duckworth play decent help defense and man to man in the post?

He must have done something right cause Portland from 90-92 was one of the best three defensive teams in the league, in fact they were #1 in the 1991-92 season. Perhaps Duckworth was not a shot blocker or excellent rebounder, but a solid man on man defender in the post?