Sam Smith: Peja Stojakovic for Eddy Curry

Why is this clown always on the Kings jock. What in the hades does this old fart know what goes on in the Kings locker room. I heard him once on Grant and Lamb and he sounds like a bitter old, dementia laden sportswriter, who is dying to work for the Star magazine. And he seems to always have his nose in Sacramento's business. Read for yourself:

INSIDE THE NBA
Season a deal for Stojakovic with Curry
Sam Smith

October 18, 2004

OK, you take Eddy Curry and deal him for . . . Hey, I gave the Bulls a week. But it looks again like they need my help. Yes, it's just four months to the trading deadline, so it's time to start thinking.

Look, I thought the Bulls should make some commitment to Curry, some sort of compromise, a short-term deal. There could be a lockout after this season, and even if there isn't, the NBA is pushing to reduce long-term deals.

With a short-term Bulls deal, Curry would get security--and the word is that, with lavish spending habits, he's in need of cash--and the Bulls would get some stability and a tradable contract. So Curry asks for a so-called maximum deal worth close to $90 million, and, well, see you next summer. This guy's financial IQ apparently matches his basketball IQ.

What Curry doesn't understand is there are several good reasons he's not going to get a major offer next summer. They're named Andrei Kirilenko, Michael Redd, Jason Richardson, Ray Allen, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Tony Parker and Zach Randolph, among others.

If you're a team with salary-cap room, are you investing it in the unproven, uneven Curry? Or an All-Star like Kirilenko or Redd? And are you about to spend all your money with players like Yao Ming and Amare Stoudemire coming on the market the following year?

Yes, everyone needs a 7-footer, especially with Shaquille O'Neal back in the Eastern Conference. But with Curry, that defies the philosophy of general manager John Paxson. He wants a gritty, tough, unselfish, intelligent, committed team. Curry is none of the above.

Can Paxson's plan ever work with an indifferent Curry? After all, Curry admits he only got in shape for his contract season and already has been benched in exhibitions for forgetting plays.

We know the answer. :mad: (of course you do, you biter old.....) So take a stab at a big-time player, though smaller. The Kings clearly are on the edge of a meltdown, with Vlade Divac gone and the Chris Webber-Peja Stojakovic feud festering. Stojakovic has asked for a trade, coach Rick Adelman is a lame duck and Webber is also sniping at Brad Miller. It's hard to see them as a serious contender anymore. They seem ready for a major change.

Make an offer for Stojakovic, and then perhaps work out something to get the hustling Bobby Jackson. The Bulls could give him the extension the Kings seem reluctant to discuss. The Kings could use a center with backup Greg Ostertag already hurt and Webber still slowed from knee problems.

Webber remains a top talent, and that's what Curry needs. He needs to be Kevin Duckworth, a third or fourth option without the pressure to produce. With the complementary talent assembled by the Bulls, a re-signed Curry always would have a role for which he doesn't appear motivated.

It's too big a dream to hope the Kings would take Eddie Robinson, but perhaps they'd accept Andres Nocioni or Luol Deng (why don't you throw in a ham sandwich, a towel boy and a consession worker too, you bitter old.....:mad: ) in a deal for Stojakovic, who's an All-Star and big-time scorer. If healthy, Tyson Chandler should be able to handle most of the defensive center duties as he gains weight. Plus, Chandler fits the Bulls hoped-for defensive, aggressive style better. And no one's stopping O'Neal anyway.

Of course, if I were the Kings, I'd go for Vince Carter to go into that Webber-Mike Bibby cocoon. Carter, likewise, needs to be a second-option player and out of the spotlight. The Raptors would love to get rid of him as much as he would like to leave, and a package with Doug Christie would do it. The Kings have rookie Kevin Martin to grow into Christie's spot.

Paxson's plan is reasonable. But to win in the NBA, you need a star. Curry never will be. Stojakovic is. And do you want your fate continually resting with Curry's lethargic ways?

Yes, and this is yet another in the long line of examples of what goes on here and on other boards...rebuking idiocy rather than healthy, intelligent debate between two different points of view where each have some good points, each have some grounding in reality...it gets old, doesn't it???

There is a tremendous power in journalism that runs unchecked, as they attempt to influence the public perception of things. The problem is that hyperbole and sensationalism are the order of the day for a majority of journalists, mixed in with a healthy dose of incompetent editors abounding who routinely give the green light to publishing words that should have been lost in cyberspace.

Fortunately, enough journalistic crap has been posted here such that most of the boarders know better. But not always...take Ms. Poison, please...

This is ridiculous!!! This could very well be one of the stupid-est article i've read in my whole life.............

Why someone like this guy could possibily get a job anyway?

Last edited:
so this guy suggests we trade peja & bobby for Eddy Curry, a player he likens to Kevin Duckworth, and an unproven rookie? That trade doesn't make any sense to me..

This could make some sense if you add the Grizzlies into the mix. West has coveted Curry, so if the Kings send Peja to Bulls, Bulls send Curry to Grizz, the Kings could take advantage of some of Memphis' depth (guys like Battier and Posey).

Not the greatest deal, but I don't think the Kings need Curry and could use some of the guys on Memphis more

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, this article actually gave me a pretty good laugh -

Pedja AND Bobby Jackson for Eddy Curry? Oh yeah, I see Geoff Petrie chomping at the bit waiting for THAT phone call.

:D

#1sacfan

This trade could be good one for the Kings if Curry dedicated himself to playing hard every night and Luol Deng has looked good in preseason. However those are big ifs and no one trades away a 3 time All-Star and MVP candidate for a "if things work out player". Not to mention Bobby

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
WalMatt23 said:
so this guy suggests we trade peja & bobby for Eddy Curry, a player he likens to Kevin Duckworth, and an unproven rookie? That trade doesn't make any sense to me..
Ya think? ;)

Sam Smith would be hilarious if he weren't so sad. I started to laugh, and then just increasingly got annoyed at the utter and complete lack of respect shown to our players or organization (particularly Petire), not to mention the utter and complete lack of competence shown by Smith who couldn't even come up with a plausible trade rumor to stir the pot. Yes, we're going to trade away Peja and Bobby together, and get back spare parts and leftovers. :rolleyes:

Think he's been watching Paxson GM for too long. ;)

Why don't we throw in Brad Miller in the interest of fairness to the Bulls. After all, Curry is a soon to be max player, that kind of talent for Peja and Bobby alone? Thats not fair. :rolleyes:

Here's what I think about this trade:

1kingzfan said:
Yes, and this is yet another in the long line of examples of what goes on here and on other boards...rebuking idiocy rather than healthy, intelligent debate between two different points of view where each have some good points, each have some grounding in reality...it gets old, doesn't it???
:confused: Somebody help me with this please??? Kingzfan what do you mean???

Sam Smith the undisputed king of crazy imaginary trade concoction. Smith comes up with stuff on a level that Peter Vescey could only dream of attaining.

The only Peja to Chicago deal I'd consider would include us recieving Kirk Hinrich, Andres Nocioni, Tyson Chandler and the Bulls #1 pick next year.

Purple Reign said:
:confused: Somebody help me with this please??? Kingzfan what do you mean???
I believe he was merely stating it would be nice if the so called journalists would quit writing sensationalistic crap and give us something more realistic to discuss.

holy $hit!

now i've seen it all. why in god's name would the kings trade bobby AND peja for curry? more money, less talent, less dedication. this guy is smoking some serious crack.

i will never take any of his "articles" serious again.

webberfan said:
holy $hit!

now i've seen it all. why in god's name would the kings trade bobby AND peja for curry? more money, less talent, less dedication. this guy is smoking some serious crack.

i will never take any of his "articles" serious again.
I think........"i will never read any of his article again"........is more appropriate.......ha ha:p

Purple Reign said:
Why is this clown always on the Kings jock. What in the hades does this old fart know what goes on in the Kings locker room. I heard him once on Grant and Lamb and he sounds like a bitter old, dementia laden sportswriter, who is dying to work for the Star magazine. And he seems to always have his nose in Sacramento's business. Read for yourself:

INSIDE THE NBA
Season a deal for Stojakovic with Curry
Sam Smith

October 18, 2004

OK, you take Eddy Curry and deal him for . . . Hey, I gave the Bulls a week. But it looks again like they need my help. Yes, it's just four months to the trading deadline, so it's time to start thinking.

Look, I thought the Bulls should make some commitment to Curry, some sort of compromise, a short-term deal. There could be a lockout after this season, and even if there isn't, the NBA is pushing to reduce long-term deals.

With a short-term Bulls deal, Curry would get security--and the word is that, with lavish spending habits, he's in need of cash--and the Bulls would get some stability and a tradable contract. So Curry asks for a so-called maximum deal worth close to $90 million, and, well, see you next summer. This guy's financial IQ apparently matches his basketball IQ.

What Curry doesn't understand is there are several good reasons he's not going to get a major offer next summer. They're named Andrei Kirilenko, Michael Redd, Jason Richardson, Ray Allen, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Tony Parker and Zach Randolph, among others.

If you're a team with salary-cap room, are you investing it in the unproven, uneven Curry? Or an All-Star like Kirilenko or Redd? And are you about to spend all your money with players like Yao Ming and Amare Stoudemire coming on the market the following year?

Yes, everyone needs a 7-footer, especially with Shaquille O'Neal back in the Eastern Conference. But with Curry, that defies the philosophy of general manager John Paxson. He wants a gritty, tough, unselfish, intelligent, committed team. Curry is none of the above.

Can Paxson's plan ever work with an indifferent Curry? After all, Curry admits he only got in shape for his contract season and already has been benched in exhibitions for forgetting plays.

We know the answer. :mad: (of course you do, you biter old.....) So take a stab at a big-time player, though smaller. The Kings clearly are on the edge of a meltdown, with Vlade Divac gone and the Chris Webber-Peja Stojakovic feud festering. Stojakovic has asked for a trade, coach Rick Adelman is a lame duck and Webber is also sniping at Brad Miller. It's hard to see them as a serious contender anymore. They seem ready for a major change.

Make an offer for Stojakovic, and then perhaps work out something to get the hustling Bobby Jackson. The Bulls could give him the extension the Kings seem reluctant to discuss. The Kings could use a center with backup Greg Ostertag already hurt and Webber still slowed from knee problems.

Webber remains a top talent, and that's what Curry needs. He needs to be Kevin Duckworth, a third or fourth option without the pressure to produce. With the complementary talent assembled by the Bulls, a re-signed Curry always would have a role for which he doesn't appear motivated.

It's too big a dream to hope the Kings would take Eddie Robinson, but perhaps they'd accept Andres Nocioni or Luol Deng (why don't you throw in a ham sandwich, a towel boy and a consession worker too, you bitter old.....:mad: ) in a deal for Stojakovic, who's an All-Star and big-time scorer. If healthy, Tyson Chandler should be able to handle most of the defensive center duties as he gains weight. Plus, Chandler fits the Bulls hoped-for defensive, aggressive style better. And no one's stopping O'Neal anyway.

Of course, if I were the Kings, I'd go for Vince Carter to go into that Webber-Mike Bibby cocoon. Carter, likewise, needs to be a second-option player and out of the spotlight. The Raptors would love to get rid of him as much as he would like to leave, and a package with Doug Christie would do it. The Kings have rookie Kevin Martin to grow into Christie's spot.

Paxson's plan is reasonable. But to win in the NBA, you need a star. Curry never will be. Stojakovic is. And do you want your fate continually resting with Curry's lethargic ways?
Another Sam Smith off the wall nutty trade idea. The sad thing is hes just getting started. About %20 o all NBA rumors start with Smith. I see hes still leaving people scratching their heads...lol

LOL! ::shakes head::

Sam Smith just said (in a radio interview) that he always considers both teams in his articles.

...and that he thinks the Kings look ready to about "fall on their face."

Called Eddy Curry a "valued asset"...

Curry can accentuate Bibby and Webber and the Kings can even trade Brad Miller if they wanted to...

"The Kings need a makeover."...

The Kings should really go after Carter...

ReinadelosReys said:
LOL! ::shakes head::

Sam Smith just said (in a radio interview) that he always considers both teams in his articles.

...and that he thinks the Kings look ready to about "fall on their face."

Called Eddy Curry a "valued asset"...

Curry can accentuate Bibby and Webber and the Kings can even trade Brad Miller if they wanted to...

"The Kings need a makeover."...

The Kings should really go after Carter...
I heard that interview as well.... I was pissed at Koz for not calling him out! But instead Koz wanted to kiss his rear end. Wasnt till after Koz said he shouldve asked questions about some of the stupid things he said....

Shame on you Koz!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
From the little I know of Jim Kozimor is that any surprise?

He's the ultimate uber-weenie. Too bland and lightweight to actually dislike, but we absolutely no guts or edge whatsoever. Might make a good Mr. Rogers repalcement if they ever decide to remake that show. ;)