SacBee: Kings appear set for a stylistic makeover

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
Shareef Abdur-Rahim's decision to retire was a sad one for the veteran power forward and a bittersweet development for the Kings. But with tipoff only weeks away, I have to confess, I already like these Kings better.

More...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great article by Voisin.

No, his decision favorably impacts the club's immediate future in this sense: The number of Kings ball stoppers has been reduced to one. John Salmons is all alone now.

Coupled with the trade that sent Ron Artest to Houston, the cumulative effect should result in a quicker pace, less one-on-one play, and fewer occasions when players try to emulate Michael Jordan and overdribble into a crowd of defenders.

This apparent change in direction – a return to the Kings' philosophy of old, if you will – is further evidenced by the versatility of youngsters Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson and the re-signed Beno Udrih, and is both welcome and overdue.
I am very excited about the apparent direction the team is going. I think the return to fluid, high-paced basketball is going to reap major dividends for the fans and the team.

Asked about this Tuesday, Petrie didn't disagree. He also acknowledged his most recent personnel maneuvers have been partly influenced by a desire to return to a more pleasing style and insists Salmons, a capable passer, will be more generous when he returns to the starting lineup.

This presupposes, of course, that second-year coach Reggie Theus implements an up-tempo offense and more stringent defense, calls fewer set plays and benches players who play solo.

"We've got enough shooters and passers and cutters and runners," said Petrie. "The potential is there to be fun to watch again. This is one of those rosters that, conceptually, you can get excited about. I want to go into the season trying to compete for a playoff spot."
So it sounds like it is, indeed, up to Reggie. I know some will pooh-pooh the idea of trying to compete for a playoff spot but I'm all for it. I just want games to be fun again, and it sure sounds like that's how Petrie feels, too.

Come on, Reggie. Much like Obi Wan, you're our only hope. No matter what players Petrie brings to the mix, you have to be willing to buy into his vision. I have faith in you. Give us a team that will keep us on our feet cheering and help us bring back Arco Thunder louder than ever before. We'll show Oklahoma City what REAL THUNDER is all about.

;)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I also have no problem competing for a playoff spot. Just as long as were doing it with our team of the future. Throw them on the floor and see what they can do.

What I don't want to see is Miller and Moore dominating the minutes. Especially Moore. He in particular has no future here, at least in any roll other than a backup, and probably not even that.

I look forward to the season, and, I'm finally excited again.

Though he remains a disciple of Pete Carril and admirer of Tex Winter, basketball legends who espouse the fluid style that characterized the Kings during their best years
Why don’t we bring back Pete. I would love to have him back and I’m sure Kevin will be too…It’s about time that we’re moving away from one-on-one and closer to the team play that I love so much.

This presupposes, of course, that second-year coach Reggie Theus implements an up-tempo offense and more stringent defense, calls fewer set plays and benches players who play solo.
Reggie does need to let the team play without him trying to control every play. I’ve said that last year and I hope this year he’ll be more flexible. Hopefully Reggie will also let the guys play a faster pace instead of the slow me down game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Why don’t we bring back Pete. I would love to have him back and I’m sure Kevin will be too…It’s about time that we’re moving away from one-on-one and closer to the team play that I love so much.

Reggie does need to let the team play without him trying to control every play. I’ve said that last year and I hope this year he’ll be more flexible. Hopefully Reggie will also let the guys play a faster pace instead of the slow me down game.
I remember when I was a season ticket holder and Gary St Jean was the coach. You could hear him yelling from anywhere in the arena. It used to drive me nuts. Unfortunaly, I can hear Reggie yelling also. I hope he can learn to trust his players and let them play.

If I know Reg and I think I do having met him in 1985 and remained friends since, he's ALWAYS been about pushing the ball, playing up-tempo, nose to the ball defense. He's really not into micro-managing plays or players - well, maybe at New Mexico St. where they were ALL just kids. His yelling out to players on the floor I suspect will decrease over time - although it seemed to work quite a bit last season! His personnel last year was so in-flux that he had to adjust style of play (faster-slower) to fit what he had out on the floor. Lastly, Reg is a goal setter and his mark is 50 wins at the end of this upcoming season. Shoot high, Reg - we can do it! GO KINGS!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
While the general assessment may be correct, it seems a tad odd to tag the retirment of a guy who played in 8 games last year as a sign of new times this season. Even Ron, again obviously a "ball stopper", only played in 50-some games last year. There are obviously some deeper issues than those guys alone. I should also note that Bobby, love him and all, is largely a non-passing ball stopper of a PG. The times may be changing and all, and that is fine (although at least as many ball stoppers have won titles as pass and cut weenies, you have to actually be good enough to justify the ball stopping), but the Ron move is the only thing done this summer to really move things in that direction.

Basically Beno, Kevin, John and Mikki are all subpar for their positions as passers amongst our starters. Bobby, Douby, Shelden, Greene and probably Brown (shoot first rep) amongst the bench guys. That leaves Brad, Cisco (when not gone wildman), Spenser (although at this point he often shoots as soon as he touches the ball, so he might qualify as much as ball stopper as passer despite the skills), and Jason (who I have hopes for, but obviously we will have to see) as guys who might actually be above average for their position.