sacbee: Jackson sits this one out

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11096230p-12012634c.html

Jackson sits this one out

By Mark Kreidler -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, October 15, 2004

SHANGHAI, China - Bobby Jackson rested Thursday, which meant he had a fine seat to enjoy the show - and, significant to the conversation here, no new injury to report.

On a team already dealing with the absences of Doug Christie and Greg Ostertag and Chris Webber's balky left knee, Jackson's logging zero minutes in the Kings' 88-86 exhibition loss to Houston might have raised a red flag over at the Undue Concern Desk of the Kings' fan base.

In fact, Jackson is continuing to treat the same sprained hand with which he has been dealing for two weeks. But it was no worse Thursday. Jackson's name just didn't come up.

"My night off," Jackson said simply. "Coach (Rick Adelman) had some other guards he needed to see, and it was Liu Wei's night anyway. My hand's fine."

Liu received 19 minutes of game time, Adelman's bow to the reality of these China Games and the intense interest in Liu and his best friend, Houston center Yao Ming. Both players were strongly cheered in each appearance on the court, and the fans were particularly enthralled with Yao on a night when the 7-foot-6 player struggled to calm his nerves and committed five turnovers in 26 minutes.

Webber, meanwhile, showed no ill effects from the recurring puffiness and occasional soreness in his surgically repaired left knee, which caused him to miss 50 games last season and had him sitting down and missing time after just two practices in this training camp.

In 24 minutes, Webber scored 14 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and had three assists and a steal. He and Brad Miller combined to shoot 13 of 21 from the floor, most of them on mid-range jumpers.

Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy, in fact, noted after the game that his own starting unit was roundly outplayed in the first and third quarters by the Kings' starting five: Webber, Miller, Peja Stojakovic, Mike Bibby and rookie forward Kevin Martin.

Stojakovic, continuing to round into form after a summer in which he said he barely picked up a basketball, went 4 for 12 from the floor and made just 2 of 7 three-pointers but said afterward he felt good. After Yao and Liu, Stojakovic - who grew up in what was then known as Yugoslavia and played professionally in Greece - received the loudest ovation from the Shanghai fans.

Adelman, whose team was heavily scheduled during the Shanghai portion of this trip, said he would give his team most of the day off today to sightsee in and around Beijing. Several players, coaches and team officials were planning a trek to the Great Wall. The Kings and Rockets conclude the China Games with a meeting in Beijing on Sunday afternoon (a 9 p.m. Saturday start in Sacramento), then fly home immediately in advance of Tuesday's jet-lagged exhibition game in Fresno against the Lakers.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
BJax is a critical part of the Kings and a non-issue not to play in the 2nd preseason. There are a lot of guards to look and his role and place is cast in concrete. I think its good the core get a break so early.

LMM said:
After Yao and Liu, Stojakovic - who grew up in what was then known as Yugoslavia and played professionally in Greece - received the loudest ovation from the Shanghai fans.
I think Kreidler is mistaken. I heard that crowd giving ovations. Bjax definately had the loudest ovation behind the Kings Chinese player. I dont think it was even close.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
slugking50 said:
I think Kreidler is mistaken. I heard that crowd giving ovations. Bjax definately had the loudest ovation behind the Kings Chinese player. I dont think it was even close.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at the ovation that Bobby received. It was obvious that the Chinese fans know where the talent lies. I am not sure that BJax's ovation was all that much louder than Peja's. However, because there had been just polite response to the introduction of the other bench players, the response to Bobby's intro did seem rather thunderous. :)

^^ yeah.. i heard the same thing..

bobby got the loudest cheers.. peja, webb, and bibby had nice ovations, too :)

it was funny to hear the chinese announcer say the names of the starting 5.. hehe.. he had a hard time saying "stojakovic" :D

Last edited: