SAC-NYK-POR (facilitating a trade with Rudy to the Knicks)

Since Rudy Fernandez wants to go to the Knicks so bad, why don't we facilitate a trade between the two teams. Here's what i propose:

Sac Gives:
Samuel Dalembert ($13.4M) to the Knicks

Sac Receives:
Greg Oden ($6.7 M) from the Trailblazers
Eddy Curry ($11.2 M) from the Knicks

Why the kings do this?:
We potentially get a great big man in Greg Oden (that is, IF the blazers want to trade him) at an all time low. If he can stay away from injuries, he'd be a perfect back-up to Cousins on our team come play-offs in a few years. Curry is just that horrible contract i needed to convince the knicks to give up A. Randolph to the Blazers. I could care less whether we buy him out, or force him to wear street clothes the rest of his contract.

Blazers give::
Greg Oden to the Kings ($6.7M)
Rudy Fernandez to the Knicks ($1.2 M)

Blazers Receive:
Ronny Turiaf from the Knicks ($4M)
Anthony Randolph from the Knicks ($1.9M)

Why the Blazers do this:
Maybe they're done with the Oden Experiment. They get Turiaf, who can fill in some minutes, but they get a youngster in Anthony Randolph who has potential (there's that word :p). They also get rid of Rudy, who is a disgruntled member of the team. They save some money as well.

Knicks Give:
Eddy Curry to the Kings ($11.2M)
Ronny Turiaf to the Blazers ($4M)
Anthon Randolph to the Blazers ($1.9M)

Knicks Receive:
Rudy Fernandez from the Blazers ($1.2M)
Samuel Dalembert from the Kings ($13.4 M)

Why the Knicks do this:
They get Rudy, who they've been coveting. They also get Samuel Dalembert. Yes, he'd only be a rental, but he'd cover for Amare's defensive mistakes. They'd be saving a TON of money, while getting a good shotblocker who is an expiring (maybe they'd want to re-sign him for less money), getting Rudy Fernandez, shipping out Eddy Curry, and only losing out on Randolph.

This is just a thought I had, i understand we'd still have a hole at SG, although i think Cisco is just fine for now. I don't whether we'd even want another Center, but if Oden can stay healthy, you'd have two of the best centers on your team, and we get him relatively cheap.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since Rudy Fernandez wants to go to the Knicks so bad, why don't we facilitate a trade between the two teams. Here's what i propose:

Sac Gives:
Samuel Dalembert ($13.4M) to the Knicks

Sac Receives:
Greg Oden ($6.7 M) from the Trailblazers
Eddy Curry ($11.2 M) from the Knicks

Why the kings do this?:
We potentially get a great big man in Greg Oden (that is, IF the blazers want to trade him) at an all time low. If he can stay away from injuries, he'd be a perfect back-up to Cousins on our team come play-offs in a few years. Curry is just that horrible contract i needed to convince the knicks to give up A. Randolph to the Blazers. I could care less whether we buy him out, or force him to wear street clothes the rest of his contract.

Blazers give::
Greg Oden to the Kings ($6.7M)
Rudy Fernandez to the Knicks ($1.2 M)

Blazers Receive:
Ronny Turiaf from the Knicks ($4M)
Anthony Randolph from the Knicks ($1.9M)

Why the Blazers do this:
Maybe they're done with the Oden Experiment. They get Turiaf, who can fill in some minutes, but they get a youngster in Anthony Randolph who has potential (there's that word :p). They also get rid of Rudy, who is a disgruntled member of the team. They save some money as well.

Knicks Give:
Eddy Curry to the Kings ($11.2M)
Ronny Turiaf to the Blazers ($4M)
Anthon Randolph to the Blazers ($1.9M)

Knicks Receive:
Rudy Fernandez from the Blazers ($1.2M)
Samuel Dalembert from the Kings ($13.4 M)

Why the Knicks do this:
They get Rudy, who they've been coveting. They also get Samuel Dalembert. Yes, he'd only be a rental, but he'd cover for Amare's defensive mistakes. They'd be saving a TON of money, while getting a good shotblocker who is an expiring (maybe they'd want to re-sign him for less money), getting Rudy Fernandez, shipping out Eddy Curry, and only losing out on Randolph.

This is just a thought I had, i understand we'd still have a hole at SG, although i think Cisco is just fine for now. I don't whether we'd even want another Center, but if Oden can stay healthy, you'd have two of the best centers on your team, and we get him relatively cheap.
I don't know if the Kings would do this deal. They look on Cousins as their center of the future, so just how would Oden fit into that picture. If healthy he's too good a player to be a backup center, while I admit that would be a nice problem to have. That aside, the Trailblazers would have to be out of their minds to trade Oden and Fernandez for Anthony Randolph and Turiaf. I like Randolph's potential, but trust me, I like Oden's potential a lot more.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm with Baja. I can't see the Blazers getting rid of Fernandez and Oden for that package, or anything resembling it. I know Fernandez looks to be on the trade market, but he's definitely got value. Let me put it this way: If I were building a team from scratch, and you said, "Quick, first pick, you get either Anthony Randolph or Rudy Fernandez", I would take Rudy. Turiaf is not a huge selling point. So to throw Oden in seems capricious at best.

I actually seriously think the Kings picked up Dalembert with the aim of keeping him for a while. A team needs two good centers, and the skills he has will never be obsolete. Depending on the next CBA, the next contract he signs could be quite reasonable, and we are not shelling out big $ at the center position until we need to resign Big Cuz. I think we'll probably sign him to a 3-4 year deal around 5-7 mil a year. Just no real reason to let him go if we can keep him for a reasonable price. And, that way, we've staggered our centers, so that when one is on the decline, he can play less minutes and the next crop is ready to step up big time. I imagine in three years Cuz playing 35 minutes a game and Dally playing 15-25. And maybe something like JT and Whiteside platooning the PF position. Good thing is all of those guys can play center minutes if needed, and most can play PF minutes, depending on who's next to them. We really do have a fantastic looking future for our front line, exactly as it stands, should things go even close to what most expect. I can think of very few situations that would be better, and bringing Oden on, really for any price, isn't worth it. It's unfortunate for him, but I'd just be too worried about his knees.

Somehow I don't think six players and three teams need to be involved in order to get Rudy out of Portland. Nor would this be known as the Rudy Fernandez deal. :p

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I actually seriously think the Kings picked up Dalembert with the aim of keeping him for a while. A team needs two good centers, and the skills he has will never be obsolete. Depending on the next CBA, the next contract he signs could be quite reasonable, and we are not shelling out big $ at the center position until we need to resign Big Cuz. I think we'll probably sign him to a 3-4 year deal around 5-7 mil a year. Just no real reason to let him go if we can keep him for a reasonable price. And, that way, we've staggered our centers, so that when one is on the decline, he can play less minutes and the next crop is ready to step up big time. I imagine in three years Cuz playing 35 minutes a game and Dally playing 15-25. And maybe something like JT and Whiteside platooning the PF position. Good thing is all of those guys can play center minutes if needed, and most can play PF minutes, depending on who's next to them. We really do have a fantastic looking future for our front line, exactly as it stands, should things go even close to what most expect. I can think of very few situations that would be better, and bringing Oden on, really for any price, isn't worth it. It's unfortunate for him, but I'd just be too worried about his knees.
I'm sort of leaning in the same direction. I'm trying to keep myself in check regarding Dalembert. I think he can be the perfect ying to Cousins yang. If he willing to see himself as a Marcus Camby type player, then I think he can fit in beautifully with the Kings. It all depends on this coming season. If he fits the way the Kings want him to, then I think they'll make every effort to resign him. And your right, the future looks bright on paper with Dalembert, Cousins, Thompson and Whiteside.

I honestly don't know how Landry fits in to all of this. Obviously the Kings like him. And hell, maybe they resign both Landry and Dalembert. But my gut tells me no. Not both. And if Dalembert brings the shotblocking and rebounding we want, then he has more value than Landry. Sorry Carl. But a 6'11" rebounding/shotblocker is more valuable than an undersized PF. I guess it all comes down to how they jell and what the new CBA contains. If Landry can spend some time at SF, it could make whomever doesn't win the starting job at SF expendable in a trade. I doubt it though.

I'm sort of leaning in the same direction. I'm trying to keep myself in check regarding Dalembert. I think he can be the perfect ying to Cousins yang. If he willing to see himself as a Marcus Camby type player, then I think he can fit in beautifully with the Kings. It all depends on this coming season. If he fits the way the Kings want him to, then I think they'll make every effort to resign him. And your right, the future looks bright on paper with Dalembert, Cousins, Thompson and Whiteside.

I honestly don't know how Landry fits in to all of this. Obviously the Kings like him. And hell, maybe they resign both Landry and Dalembert. But my gut tells me no. Not both. And if Dalembert brings the shotblocking and rebounding we want, then he has more value than Landry. Sorry Carl. But a 6'11" rebounding/shotblocker is more valuable than an undersized PF. I guess it all comes down to how they jell and what the new CBA contains. If Landry can spend some time at SF, it could make whomever doesn't win the starting job at SF expendable in a trade. I doubt it though.
I've also thought about Landry, and I think the front office will try to re-sign him, but if another team drops a huge contract, or even one that we just don't like, on him then we'll just let him go

we can play oden at SF and curry at SG if this trade goes down. we'd have a walking mismatch with 4 6'10+ players on the court at one time

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This would obviously be a great deal for us given the suspicion that Dalembert might be a 1yr rental, and I wouldn't be so quick to tag Oden as anybody's backup. We'd have the two most talented young centers in the game on the same team. One might break, the other might choke a coach, but I sincerely doubt they both would go south, and if both heled it together it would be an impossibly good problem to have. I'd hire Boogie 2 chefs and see if he could make it down to 265-270 as a mega PF.

But in any case, its really hard to see Portland give up on Oden right now. He has always been the key element there that was supposed to take them from a 50 win team to a 60win annual championship contender. Wihtout him, they're talented, but ultimately perennial bridesmaids again. That was not what was prophecized.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This would obviously be a great deal for us given the suspicion that Dalembert might be a 1yr rental, and I wouldn't be so quick to tag Oden as anybody's backup. We'd have the two most talented young centers in the game on the same team. One might break, the other might choke a coach, but I sincerely doubt they both would go south, and if both heled it together it would be an impossibly good problem to have. I'd hire Boogie 2 chefs and see if he could make it down to 265-270 as a mega PF.

But in any case, its really hard to see Portland give up on Oden right now. He has always been the key element there that was supposed to take them from a 50 win team to a 60win annual championship contender. Wihtout him, they're talented, but ultimately perennial bridesmaids again. That was not what was prophecized.
Yeah, I think the real point is that Portland wouldn't do this trade. I'm not saying they couldn't be inticed by an offer, but it would have to be better than this one. Plus, I don't think the powers that be, are ready to admit to the world that they may have made a mistake by not taking Durant. I think that would be a hard pill to swallow.

Add in a King first rounder going to Portland, and I think you could do this deal. That said, I don't think it would make sense for either side.

Brick, we've had this discussion before... all he'd have to do is hire me as a nutritionist!! Give me three months with that guy and I'd turn him into a lean mean, 270 lb, 8% body fat fighting machine, guaranteed. :)

And that is the question right there. Would be be willing to play that role. I think if we are winning, focused as a team, have good chemistry, then yes, he would want to spend the last part of his career doing that.

The interesting thing about Landry though.... I feel like he'd be the type of player that would be willing to do a sign and trade... so that we get something back for him. If so, I do think he'd be a helluva trade peice, given what he's proven here, and as a starter last year. Maybe once the CBA gets itself straightened out, we trade him for that elite role playing dead eye SG that everybody wants. That might be the best way to get value back for him. Tough, tough call though to ever get rid of a player like Landry. Interesting thought though: if he can morph his game, gain more lateral quickness and learn to guard 3s, and extend his range (does have a money 15 footer as is), perhaps he can be a very interesting mismatch of a three for us.... hmmm.

Thats not a good deal for the Knicks. (And Portland for that matter).

Cause Dally and Curry is just about the same.. A.Randolph is probebly the biggest asset the Knicks have.. and if they want to create another big trio, loosing him for Rudy is suecide.

Thats not a good deal for the Knicks. (And Portland for that matter).

Cause Dally and Curry is just about the same.. A.Randolph is probebly the biggest asset the Knicks have.. and if they want to create another big trio, loosing him for Rudy is suecide.
Dally and curry are not similar at all: ). And remember the Knicks have gallinari at SF already. They'd want to have they're SG in Rudy so that they could have Rudy at SG, Gallo at SF, and stoudemire at PF... Randolph could probably back up gallinari, but what's the point when you get a starter in Fernandez? Oh, and remember the Knicks and Portland both shed salary. The Knicks essentially trade a horrible contract in curry into an expiring in dalembert

Curry is also expiring no? preety sure he is.

It depends how you see it. If they go towords a big trio as in Stat/Melo/CP3, they will need barganing chips..then thats a horrible move.

Yeah, I think the real point is that Portland wouldn't do this trade. I'm not saying they couldn't be inticed by an offer, but it would have to be better than this one. Plus, I don't think the powers that be, are ready to admit to the world that they may have made a mistake by not taking Durant. I think that would be a hard pill to swallow.
With Pritchard gone, they could claim "new era".