Rumor: Celtics may make another run at Tyreke Evans

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Orlando really doesn't have much to offer.
Hmmm! Interesting you should say that. They do have some players that I like, although no single one of them is equal in my mind to Tyreke, but some combination might be. For starters, at the moment, they have the 12th pick in the coming draft, although I would be more interested in their first round pick in the 2013/14 draft, which will be strong and deep. But aside from that here's a list of players that I like, and their current salary from the Magic.

Arron Affalo - 7.7 Mil
Maurice Harkless - 1.7 Mil
Josh McRoberts - 3.1 Mil
J.J. Redick - 6.1 Mil
Nikola Vucevic - 1.7 Mil
Glen Davis - 6.4 mil

Harkless is a very good prospect at the SF position. McRoberts would be an ideal backup center. We all know what Affalo brings, and I really liked Vucevic in college. He's a bit of a project, but I think he has a nice future in the league. Of course I'm not suggesting we aquire all those players, but some combination. Tyreke makes 5.2 mil, so unless we trade another player along with him, our options are somewhat limited. Davis straight up would work, as would Harkless and McRoberts along with a future first. I'm not saying thats equal value, which is in the eye of the beholder, but there is a deal there if were interested.

I really like what Vucevic has done this season. He's a very physical big and he's developing a nice post offensive game. Vuvcevic, Harkless, and a 1st round pick would be passable return for Tyreke if we decided we didn't want to pay him, but I don't know if we could get that from Orlando anyway

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hmmm! Interesting you should say that. They do have some players that I like, although no single one of them is equal in my mind to Tyreke, but some combination might be. For starters, at the moment, they have the 12th pick in the coming draft, although I would be more interested in their first round pick in the 2013/14 draft, which will be strong and deep. But aside from that here's a list of players that I like, and their current salary from the Magic.

Arron Affalo - 7.7 Mil
Maurice Harkless - 1.7 Mil
Josh McRoberts - 3.1 Mil
J.J. Redick - 6.1 Mil
Nikola Vucevic - 1.7 Mil
Glen Davis - 6.4 mil

Harkless is a very good prospect at the SF position. McRoberts would be an ideal backup center. We all know what Affalo brings, and I really liked Vucevic in college. He's a bit of a project, but I think he has a nice future in the league. Of course I'm not suggesting we aquire all those players, but some combination. Tyreke makes 5.2 mil, so unless we trade another player along with him, our options are somewhat limited. Davis straight up would work, as would Harkless and McRoberts along with a future first. I'm not saying thats equal value, which is in the eye of the beholder, but there is a deal there if were interested.
That's a whole lot of nothing bajaden. Maybe Vucevic (I don't know about Harkless), but even adding a #1 wouldn't cut it because Orlando is near .500 and it wouldn't be a very high pick. It is amazing with that talent base that Orlando is at .480 and the Kings are much lower; go figure.

If the Kings trade Tyreke they've got trade for another player that has a lot of talent, but hasn't quite met expectations (like Tyreke) or is just a young talent; or they need to package Tyreke with another good player to get a player that is at an All-Star level. I still like the idea of getting Favors, and Utah seems to be under-achieving (like the Kings) because of mediocre guard play, so they should be motivated. But Utah just isn't returning my calls...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That's a whole lot of nothing bajaden. Maybe Vucevic (I don't know about Harkless), but even adding a #1 wouldn't cut it because Orlando is near .500 and it wouldn't be a very high pick. It is amazing with that talent base that Orlando is at .480 and the Kings are much lower; go figure.

If the Kings trade Tyreke they've got trade for another player that has a lot of talent, but hasn't quite met expectations (like Tyreke) or is just a young talent; or they need to package Tyreke with another good player to get a player that is at an All-Star level. I still like the idea of getting Favors, and Utah seems to be under-achieving (like the Kings) because of mediocre guard play, so they should be motivated. But Utah just isn't returning my calls...
From everything I've read in the Utah papers, and on twitter, Favors is untouchable. They're shopping Milsap, and possibly Jefferson, but they'd rather keep Jefferson because he stabilizes the post for them. So I doubt there's any way we can get Favors. Harkless is a kid I really liked coming out of college last year. He's a terrific athlete, and is a natural SF with good defensive abilities. His outside shot needs some work, but most kids coming out of college can't shoot from the outside. Vucevic was a little raw coming out of college, but he's learning fast, and would be a nice backup center, or you could put him on the floor at times with Cuz.

I'm certainly not saying this is the deal I want, or even that I want a deal, but what I don't want, is for the Kings to just wait and see what the asking price is, and then just let him walk to the highest bidder with us getting nothing. Its about damm time the Kings were proactive instead of reactive. They can talk to Tyreke's agent right now and right up to the trade deadline to get an idea of what Tyreke wants. If he wants more than they're willing to pay, then deal him and get the best deal you can get, but for god's sake, don't wait for him to go out and get offers, then decide you don't want to match and get nothing. If we do that, then Vucevic and Harkless plus a 1st round pick will look pretty good.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If he wants more than they're willing to pay, then deal him and get the best deal you can get, but for god's sake, don't wait for him to go out and get offers, then decide you don't want to match and get nothing.
No, you wait ratehr than dump him for scubs. The only way you don't wait is if you have posioned the waters so badly wiht him he wants out and will nto willingly come back. Whihc BTW you would ahve already done wiht me if I were Reke. But Reke seems too laid back a guy for that, so you wait, and match. We'll have the offseason money to do it. People act like if we don't spend it on Reke we can save it. We can't. Its either spent on Reke, or spent on somebody else. There is no Maloof upside to letting him go. Reke's ours, and the only way he gets a monster contract offer is if he recovers from this injury and puts up a monster season. In which case you've made a ruinous decision in letting him go. So you wait. There's no reason not to. Just means you have to exercise some self control the next time a juicy John Salmons/Travis Outlaw wasted money opprtuity comes up.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
From everything I've read in the Utah papers, and on twitter, Favors is untouchable. They're shopping Milsap, and possibly Jefferson, but they'd rather keep Jefferson because he stabilizes the post for them. So I doubt there's any way we can get Favors. Harkless is a kid I really liked coming out of college last year. He's a terrific athlete, and is a natural SF with good defensive abilities. His outside shot needs some work, but most kids coming out of college can't shoot from the outside. Vucevic was a little raw coming out of college, but he's learning fast, and would be a nice backup center, or you could put him on the floor at times with Cuz.

I'm certainly not saying this is the deal I want, or even that I want a deal, but what I don't want, is for the Kings to just wait and see what the asking price is, and then just let him walk to the highest bidder with us getting nothing. Its about damm time the Kings were proactive instead of reactive. They can talk to Tyreke's agent right now and right up to the trade deadline to get an idea of what Tyreke wants. If he wants more than they're willing to pay, then deal him and get the best deal you can get, but for god's sake, don't wait for him to go out and get offers, then decide you don't want to match and get nothing. If we do that, then Vucevic and Harkless plus a 1st round pick will look pretty good.
I agree that if they aren't going to match then Petrie better change his spots, and fast.

how much is tyreke really worth though? he missed time as a rookie, had short lockout season last year & is missing time this year, all on top of playing 3 different positions in 3 years. maybe a tyreke & brooks package could bring a nice return.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No, you wait ratehr than dump him for scubs. The only way you don't wait is if you have posioned the waters so badly wiht him he wants out and will nto willingly come back. Whihc BTW you would ahve already done wiht me if I were Reke. But Reke seems too laid back a guy for that, so you wait, and match. We'll have the offseason money to do it. People act like if we don't spend it on Reke we can save it. We can't. Its either spent on Reke, or spent on somebody else. There is no Maloof upside to letting him go. Reke's ours, and the only way he gets a monster contract offer is if he recovers from this injury and puts up a monster season. In which case you've made a ruinous decision in letting him go. So you wait. There's no reason not to. Just means you have to exercise some self control the next time a juicy John Salmons/Travis Outlaw wasted money opprtuity comes up.
I understand everything you said. But my greatest fear is that we wait, and some team offers him a max salary, and we refuse to match. I know how it should work, but unfortunately the Kings don't always do things the right way. Here's the problem. If another team offers him the max, someone like Khan, who likes to play games with other teams, and we match, we better be happy with whatever he brings to the table, because at that moment, unless he dramaticly improves, he becomes untradable. We'd be locked in to a player for 5 years for big bucks that possibly he's not worth. Thats what scares me.

I understand everything you said. But my greatest fear is that we wait, and some team offers him a max salary, and we refuse to match. I know how it should work, but unfortunately the Kings don't always do things the right way. Here's the problem. If another team offers him the max, someone like Khan, who likes to play games with other teams, and we match, we better be happy with whatever he brings to the table, because at that moment, unless he dramaticly improves, he becomes untradable. We'd be locked in to a player for 5 years for big bucks that possibly he's not worth. Thats what scares me.
Very good point. For example Eric Gordon recieved a $13-15M deal, it's deals like that make me nervous.

Bricklayer

I can't imagine why. There is very little opportunity cost for us. We will NEVER sign a major free agent. At best can wildly overpay a mediocre one. So the onyl reason we even have a salry cap is to resign our own young players. Maybe we can trade a few of them for a contract. But the money exists purely for their retention. And Reke is far too productive and talented a player to ever be too wildly overpaid. You might ened up Joe Johnson'd if somebody dropped the max on Reke, but first of all if they drop the max on Reke its because he's kicking ***, and at the point you as an organization are so cowardly you won't pay a guy kicking *** for fear he might quit doing so one day, you might as well just close up shop. And secondly, ever single team Joe Johnson has been on has won a hell of a lot more than any team we've had in half a decade.

Last edited:
4 years is the max that can be offered and it will be lower than the max deal the Kings can offer.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Celtics are reportedly interested in trading for both Reke and Cuz. Even though they need to part with Rondo to get anything going here...unless Petrie is content with not getting anything significant in return.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can't imagine why. There is very little opportunity cost for us. We will NEVER sign a major free agent. At best can wildly overpay a mediocre one. So the onyl reason we even have a salry cap is to resign our own young players. Maybe we can trade a few of them for a contract. But the money exists purely for their retention. And Reke is far too productive and talented a player to ever be too wildly overpaid. You might ened up Joe Johnson'd if somebody dropped the max on Reke, but first of all if they drop the max on Reke its ebcause he's kicking ***, and at the point you as an organization are so cowardly you won't pay a guy kicking *** for fear he might quite doing so one day, you might as well jsut close up shop. And secondly, ever single team Joe Johnson has been on has won a hell of a lot more than any team we've had in half a decade.
Well if he's kicking a$$ as you say, then I don't care if we give him the max. But to believe that some team won't give him the max if he's not kicking a$$, is a bit nieve. Khan offer Batum the max last season, and while I like Batum, and would love to have him on our team, I don't think he's worth a max salary. Batum is now the second highest paid player on the Trailblazers behind Aldridge. This year he's only making around 3 mil less than Aldridge. Now Aldridge I'd spend the money on, but I think Batum is overpaid.

I'm not saying we shouldn't pay Tyreke the max, which is probably what his agent will demand. But we need to be careful we don't end up like the Atlanta Hawks, where were just good enough to always make the playoffs, but we have no flexability to improve the team because were over the cap. The Thunder have been very clever in all their transactions and look like a team that will be highly competitive for a long time. Some of it is luck, but a lot of it is being proactive in their moves. With the Kings, its always wait and see! Look what wait and see got Orlando. Look what wait and see got Cleveland. Smart management is always ahead of the curve. Right now, it looks like the Kings don't even know there is a curve ahead. I hope I'm wrong!

Tyreke and Thornton for Deng maybe? :) Works out salary wise at $13M

Tyreke needs new scenery and Deng plays the most minutes per game in the NBA and is a warrior and All-Star last year! Bulls don't have any offense creativity after Rose and Tyreke and Rose together both coming out of Memphis winning ROY awards...wow that would be crazy to watch!

Them attacking the hoop at PG/SG or start Reke at SF and Thornton at SG with Rose at PG...small ball but very potent scoring! ...or Thornton off the bench maybe. :)

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm

Last edited:
Tyreke and Thornton for Deng maybe? :) Works out salary wise at $13M

Tyreke needs new scenery and Deng plays the most minutes per game in the NBA and is a warrior and All-Star last year! :)

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm

that's too much value and doesn't make much sense. Change Thornton for Isaiah Thomas because otherwise our 2 guard position would be terrible. John Salmons with Cisco backing him up, no thanks.

L

LWP777

Deng was an All-Star last year? Really? He doesn't seem anywhere close to an All-Star to me. Good player but no All-Star.

Deng is a very good player to add to a team that already has players like tyreke and cousins, maybe not a player that you would trade tyreke evans for. I dont know why we would want to trade tyreke anyway. A trade scenario involving tyreke this year probably wouldnt be a win for the kings.

Bricklayer

LOL at Deng. Give me a break. If you're going to waste your time on a solid old guy with a big contract, then GIVE THE MOENY TO EVANS. He can still be more.

Besides which flipside is that Chicago has no reason to do that either. How many shots od you think they have to go around in a Rose/Evans/Thornton backcourt?

LOL at Deng. Give me a break. If you're going to waste your time on a solid old guy with a big contract, then GIVE THE MOENY TO EVANS. He can still be more.

Besides which flipside is that Chicago has no reason to do that either. How many shots od you think they have to go around in a Rose/Evans/Thornton backcourt?
Lol at Deng? You mean a top 5 perimeter defender in the NBA the last 3 years, one of the top rebounding SF's in the NBA, and can be a #2 option for a championship contender? Not to mention he's been noted as a great locker room guy and plays to the fullest of his capabilities on the court.

Trading Evans for him would be an iffy deal since we've saw Reke's resurgence for that 2 week stretch. Part of the reason we suck and teams like Chicago are good are because of players like Deng. He's the kind of player we should be striving to acquire.

When I see rumors like this I almost have to laugh. I think the source of these type of rumors is usually some stoned fan's blog.

This is the "I see a potential great player in a crappy market who I think we can get for 5 cents on the dollar" pipe dream. There is very little the Celtics could realistically offer us that would interest me to trade Tyreke Evans. Brick lists all the reasons why pretty well above. There is ZERO upside for trading Evans right now, especially to a team like the Celtics who can't offer much.

Now - if it were Cousins they were after, how could you realistically say no to a package of Bradley, Sullinger and their 2013 #1 for our #1 problem player? Now that could make some sense.