Rock Band Draft - Round 6 (Wrap Up)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Give a hint... how many first choices? All truly irreversible?
I'm going to assume that quite a few of us had a few different directions to take this. I'd be interested to see our alternates once this thing is over. For example, I had a metal route, and a prog route in addition to the way I'm going.

I like this draft more than the other ones, because you need a little more logic instead of just taking "the best player available," logic that will fit into my next pick should he slide. Ahem, he OR she...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay, well, I had this really nifty idea for the front three of a band, but could not figure out #4 and #5. And then I had this party band idea, but it kind of took 6 people, and so...well...

Do I even need to type his name? See that's the kind of iconic megapresence I am looking for here. But as I mentioned, not a pick you recover easily from. Such a legendary presence at lead guitar that when I went looking for pictures of him I ran into cartoons, paintings, even an action figure. How many guitarists get action figures? And how many have such an instantly recognizable image that you see the little chunk of plastic and go, oh, that's so and so? About the only other guitarist with this combination of chops and image was Hendrix. I'm taking the man, his guitar, his famous hat, and even the cancer stick. So here we go -- finally figured out a wild idea for a crew to surround him with, but everybody has to cooperate and let me get my guys, because I am not sure there are any backups. Name is Slash BTW, lead guitar, and none of that backup vox crap -- part of the mystique is you barely know what he looks like beneath the getup, and he does all his talking with his guitar.

Last edited:
not at all what I expected... but I do have to line him off my depth chart now for sure. Another tasty rocker/underrated musician a'la Angus... nice.

Okay, well, I had this really nifty idea for the front three of a band, but could not figure out #4 and #5. And then I had this party band idea, but it kind of took 6 people, and so...well...

Do I even need to type his name? See that's the kind of iconic megapresence I am looking for here. But as I mentioned, not a pick you recover easily from. Such a legendary presence at lead guitar that when I went looking for pictures of him I ran into cartoons, paintings, even an action figure. How many guitarists get action figures? And how many have such an instantly recognizable image that you see the little chunk of plastic and go, oh, that's so and so? About the only other guitarist with this combination of chops and image was Hendrix. I'm taking the man, his guitar, his famous hat, and even the cancer stick. So here we go -- finally figured out a wild idea for a crew to surround him with, but everybody has to cooperate and let me get my guys, because I am not sure there are any backups. Name is Slash BTW, lead guitar, and none of that backup vox crap -- part of the mystique is you barely know what he looks like beneath the getup, and he does all his talking with his guitar.
This is the other guy I almost chose first overall. I ultimately chose Hendrix because he could sing. For some reason I knew you would take him. There's no way the person I have in mind for my next pick will make it back to me

I'd hardly consider Slash underrated.
Depends on who you ask.

Angus was #96 on Rolling Stone mag's top 100 of all time.
Slash did not make the top 100.

You can and should write that list off as a joke, but still in the aftermath of publishing that list, there was relatively little outcry over either of these two slights.

That's what I mean by "under-rated". Not here on this board obviously - where the rock and roll sensibilities run a little edgier than I would have assumed going in.

Depends on who you ask.

You can and should write that list off as a joke, but still in the aftermath of publishing that list, there was relatively little outcry over either of these two slights.

That's what I mean by "under-rated". Not here on this board obviously - where the rock and roll sensibilities run a little edgier than I would have assumed going in.
Slash was awesome, but AC/DC was more influential than GNR

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Depends on who you ask.

I consider that shocking given how unimaginative Rolling Stone is these days, I'd think they'd have him in the top 10. But I see Slash in a lot of people's top 10's which is higher than I'd rank him. He gets a lot of credit for songs that the other guy actually wrote.

I gotta say, this draft is extremely interesting already and just thinking how everyone is really going to affect everyone else's band is intriguing. I mean, with my bass player and drummer gone now (they were pipe dreams anyway) I'm having to rethink everything.

Oh, and NoBonus, I hope the hippie guitarist comment wasn't directed towards me :D

Pick #1 of the Rockband Draft, and I'm gonna take this thing in a whole different direction. I had a great band idea initially with Clapton for guitar, McCartney, for Bass...Yeah, like that would happen. Anywho, here's a dark horse (though legal) pick for vocals and dancer. I hear she's great in person...:p

Pick #1: Diva Plavalaguna (The 5th Element)

Vocals/Dancer

[yt=Diva]ZJB5Rqc1m0Y[/yt]

Pick #1 of the Rockband Draft, and I'm gonna take this thing in a whole different direction. I had a great band idea initially with Clapton for guitar, McCartney, for Bass...Yeah, like that would happen. Anywho, here's a dark horse (though legal) pick for vocals and dancer. I hear she's great in person...:p

Pick #1: Diva Plavalaguna (The 5th Element)

Vocals/Dancer

[yt=Diva]ZJB5Rqc1m0Y[/yt]
I understand the Max Rebo band is not selected yet either.

Bricklayer

I consider that shocking given how unimaginative Rolling Stone is these days, I'd think they'd have him in the top 10. But I see Slash in a lot of people's top 10's which is higher than I'd rank him. He gets a lot of credit for songs that the other guy actually wrote.

That list also had Kurt Cobain listed at #12 -- and Kurt himself was the first to tell you he only knew 3 chords.

It was a wonky list, but then almost all of them are. Too many different constituencies unless you narrow the question. 100 most technically proficient guitarists? (could probably make a list of 100 unknown studio type muscians for that one) 100 most influential? (older guys dominate) In your case you seem to be introducing songwriting, etc.

Here's where Slash is Top 10, nay likely Top 5: Chops/Charisma. And its not just the image either, its the guitarwork itself. Not a shredder, or just a shredder, he pulls emotion out of a guitar. And that's a large part of the art. Playing notes is easy. Making them talk is not.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That list also had Kurt Cobain listed at #12 -- and Kurt himself was the first to tell you he only knew 3 chords.
I was aware that they had a list with Kurt that high.

Slash top 5? Oh boy. We're just gonna agree to disagree. Or we can discuss at the end of the draft.

I was aware that they had a list with Kurt that high.

Slash top 5? Oh boy. We're just gonna agree to disagree. Or we can discuss at the end of the draft.
Yeah I didn't quite get Brick's comment either. He proclaims Slash as top 5 because of the emotion he could put into his guitar, but then has a problem with Kurt Cobain at #12? Wha?

Anyway, what's with bombing a name like that in the beginning of the draft anyway, I always thought there was a big taboo against that.

Bricklayer

Yeah I didn't quite get Brick's comment either. He proclaims Slash as top 5 because of the emotion he could put into his guitar, but then has a problem with Kurt Cobain at #12? Wha?

Anyway, what's with bombing a name like that in the beginning of the draft anyway, I always thought there was a big taboo against that.

Cobain couldn't play the instrument. That was the difference. He was in essence a rhythm guy. Not even a terribly good one. His emotion was expressed lyrically and vocally, not through any particular art with the axe.

Now you want to put together a greatest guitarists list that doesn't actually involve playing the instrument, and make it just charisma & influence (on music in general), then he scores high. As long as you need somebody who could actually play the instrument at a high level, no. And as mentioned, he knew it too. Part in fact of the image/icon. I am a crappy garage player, and I don't care, because this is raw.

Brick is probably just trying to pick up the blonde one (Kurt) in the next round and does not want anyone to take him earlier.

Cobain couldn't play the instrument. That was the difference. He was in essence a rhythm guy. Not even a terribly good one. His emotion was expressed lyrically and vocally, not through any particular art with the axe.

Now you want to put together a greatest guitarists list that doesn't actually involve playing the instrument, and make it just charisma & influence (on music in general), then he scores high. As long as you need somebody who could actually play the instrument at a high level, no. And as mentioned, he knew it too. Part in fact of the image/icon. I am a crappy garage player, and I don't care, because this is raw.
Ahh, Kurt, King of the three-day beard and flowing blond hair...so misunderstood, so in pain, so dramatic... it is amazing anyone bought it.

Well given the way things turned out I think you'd have to at least give him the in pain part. ;)
Here was a real Vincent Van Gogh... but, I think we all realize, and this goes for Hendrix and a few others, too, because they died young, they never got the opportunity to truly sell out and destroy their legacy. Imagine how much cooler Carlos Santana would be had he died in the early 80's... now he pumps out light adult pop songs and I cannot stand him. Imagine how we would feel differently if Kurt Cobain started to feel adult contemporary coursing through his veins and became a modern day michael bolton? Or if Jimi Hendrix thought that classical latin guitar was the only real art? Or if Keith Moon had a solo pop career? Even at that, the last contributions from Kurt were watered down Nirvana at best... seriously, Unplugged? Nirvana? He was turning the corner towards adult contemporary... maybe that is why his wife shot him.

My first band member is...

[yt=Mark Tremonti]U_tfOf7Wqaw[/yt]

Mark Tremonti - Lead Guitarist - Backing Vocals

This was a really hard decision for me...there is ALOT of superstar talent out there that i could have chosen, but I'm going to go with the best sounding BAND approach rather than the most individual talent......not that Mark Tremonti is lacking that, i consider him the best Hard Rock/Metal guitarist today. He plays in the band Alterbridge which is an awesome band, so i suggest you listen to them if your into that type of music.