Revisiting the idea of Mario Hezonja after the draft

the potential upside and shot at a cheap contract will attract a lot of offers
a quick search shows potential teams Bucks,Sacto, Cavs even Magic may try to resign

Don't wait too long Vlade!!!

I just don’t get the love fest for Hezonja. I understand why we take a chance on him but he hasn’t been good. Has to be another option out there
Because he’s attainable and still has a lot of upside. The best hope the Kings have in free agency is an aging veteran, overpaying role players, or finding a diamond in the rough that flew under everybody else’s radar. Hezonja best fits the latter. Is known to be possibly misused as he doesn’t fit Vogel’s vision as a SF, Vogel even said as much. It had more to do with his physical make up. He’s still young and signing him wouldn’t break the bank or hold th franchise up. These are the moves small market teams with the Kings roster make up(young and rebuilding) need to make. The targets that make the most sense on the surface are never available for the Kings, the established talent that is available is always too much money AND In this case too old. They gotta make a gamble or two because the easy no brainer path isn’t going to be there until the Kings establish themselves and the market opens up for them. This is where GMs establish themselves. Getting creative.

Hezonja also stringed together a good streak of solid outings once he got some decent minutes. Granted, it could’ve been an Ike Diogu finish.

Others have mentioned Kyle Anderson who has no upside and if anything is a spoke in the Spurs wheel. Even for them he wasn’t terribly impressive. Teams have been fooled(Kings being one of them) into getting Pop guys that are a waste of money. There’s a reason Pop gets more credit beyond just being a winner. He knows how to get the most out of a Kyle Anderson.

Ariza of course makes no sense.

Last edited:
I also read an article (please don't make me hunt for it again) where Mario thinks he needs consistent minutes for him to get a shooting rhythm and also saw that he is a regular gym rat.

Since we probably do not have a real chance of getting a big name FA or RFA or a trade, I would have Vlade offer him: His best chance of
consistent starting SF minutes, and a 10 mil 2 yrs deal with a 3rd yr team option or 3 mil guar. If he proves himself as a high % 3 pt shooter at SF. Im good!

Every time a Kingsfan posts something about us getting Mario Hezonja I cringe and hope Vlade doesn't fall for it. But I found this excellent analysis of Hezonja by Dashiell Nusbaum very interesting. It's entitled:
Mario Hezonja: Better Than A Horse (I swear)
https://medium.com/push-the-pace/mario-hezonja-better-than-a-horse-i-swear-e4b51e448689
Sorry if this has been shared previously.

So OK, perspective changed. I'm ready to get Hezonja, plug him in as one of our wings, and give him the opportunity he hasn't yet been given (to succeed).
Apologies to those who have been ringing the Hezonja bell and had to endure the rolling of my eyes.

Because he’s attainable and still has a lot of upside. The best hope the Kings have in free agency is an aging veteran, overpaying role players, or finding a diamond in the rough that flew under everybody else’s radar. Hezonja best fits the latter. Is known to be possibly misused as he doesn’t fit Vogel’s vision as a SF, Vogel even said as much. It had more to do with his physical make up. He’s still young and signing him wouldn’t break the bank or hold th franchise up. These are the moves small market teams with the Kings roster make up(young and rebuilding) need to make. The targets that make the most sense on the surface are never available for the Kings, the established talent that is available is always too much money AND In this case too old. They gotta make a gamble or two because the easy no brainer path isn’t going to be there until the Kings establish themselves and the market opens up for them. This is where GMs establish themselves. Getting creative.

Hezonja also stringed together a good streak of solid outings once he got some decent minutes. Granted, it could’ve been an Ike Diogu finish.

Others have mentioned Kyle Anderson who has no upside and if anything is a spoke in the Spurs wheel. Even for them he wasn’t terribly impressive. Teams have been fooled(Kings being one of them) into getting Pop guys that are a waste of money. There’s a reason Pop gets more credit beyond just being a winner. He knows how to get the most out of a Kyle Anderson.

Ariza of course makes no sense.
But people are claiming we should give Hezonja 8-10mpy. That's right around how much we gave Bogdan, but Bogdan was 1000% proven in Euroleague and we all knew he would be a solid player at worst. Hezonja? He's a bust! Why should we reward him 8mpy+ for being a bust?

Hezonja has improved throughout the season, but it's like gambling with a player like McLemore. Here's what his coach said about him at the end of the season:

The way he played at the beginning of last year, he looked like he didn’t belong in the league. And now he’s got a far-better feel for all of this stuff,’’ Vogel said. ``We talk about how this (rebuilding) stuff takes time, with young players to grow, learn the game and develop, and (Hezonja) has made a lot of progress in a lot of areas.
Hezonja has said he doesn't care about the money, but this was truly the "make it or break it" year for Hezonja. Orlando dangled him and nobody wanted to trade for him. They ended up declining the option. They obviously thought he wasn't worth keeping for a 4th year based on what they saw during summer and training camp.

a quick search shows potential teams Bucks,Sacto, Cavs even Magic may try to resign

Yep some team will offer the MLE which is 8M. I would offer a slight bump in year 1 and a 4th year team option.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hope with Hezonja is that the improved play at the end of last season was a sign that he's turned the corner rather than a fluke.

It's a bet on a guy who is still just 23 and who has never had a defined role becoming a solid player when given consistent minutes.

There's things I don't like about Hezonja beyond the inconsistency. He often loafs on defense and doesn't make the kind of hustle plays that help win games. He's not a Joe Ingles type where he adds a bunch that doesn't show up in the box score. But I DO think he's a much better outside shooter than he's shown so far. Good mechanics and can catch-and-shoot, square up off screens well and hit one or two dribble pull-ups. When engaged he can also move well off the ball and is a plus passer.

He's a gamble. But a reasonable one to take, especially for a team like the Kings. Best case scenario you get a starting SF who helps space the floor and is around the same age as the rest of the young guys. Worst case, he eats up some cap for a couple years. Given the number of guys on rookie deals and the amount of cash that's going to open up after this season from Koufos, Randolph, Shumpert and possibly Temple and Cauley-Stein ($30 to $44 million) that doesn't hurt this season. If anything, the Kings may need to sign a guy or two just to get to the salary floor.

I think Orlando is a terrible spot for anyone. Skiles not playing rooks, just squandering young players careers- I mean, look at Dipo, then you have Payton, Gordon, had Harris, Vuc has been fine I guess, now Hezonja, seems like theyre pretty terribly mismanaged, like us 5 years ago, or us now for the negative thinkers lol.

Sign him for cheap and give him a shot. But if we can trade for Porter then absolutely do that instead.

But people are claiming we should give Hezonja 8-10mpy. That's right around how much we gave Bogdan, but Bogdan was 1000% proven in Euroleague and we all knew he would be a solid player at worst. Hezonja? He's a bust! Why should we reward him 8mpy+ for being a bust?

Hezonja has improved throughout the season, but it's like gambling with a player like McLemore. Here's what his coach said about him at the end of the season:

Hezonja has said he doesn't care about the money, but this was truly the "make it or break it" year for Hezonja. Orlando dangled him and nobody wanted to trade for him. They ended up declining the option. They obviously thought he wasn't worth keeping for a 4th year based on what they saw during summer and training camp.
Part of the reason was Orlando asked too much for someone who would be unrestricted the next year. The Kings inquired.

The hope with Hezonja is that the improved play at the end of last season was a sign that he's turned the corner rather than a fluke.

It's a bet on a guy who is still just 23 and who has never had a defined role becoming a solid player when given consistent minutes.

There's things I don't like about Hezonja beyond the inconsistency. He often loafs on defense and doesn't make the kind of hustle plays that help win games. He's not a Joe Ingles type where he adds a bunch that doesn't show up in the box score. But I DO think he's a much better outside shooter than he's shown so far. Good mechanics and can catch-and-shoot, square up off screens well and hit one or two dribble pull-ups. When engaged he can also move well off the ball and is a plus passer.

He's a gamble. But a reasonable one to take, especially for a team like the Kings. Best case scenario you get a starting SF who helps space the floor and is around the same age as the rest of the young guys. Worst case, he eats up some cap for a couple years. Given the number of guys on rookie deals and the amount of cash that's going to open up after this season from Koufos, Randolph, Shumpert and possibly Temple and Cauley-Stein ($30 to $44 million) that doesn't hurt this season. If anything, the Kings may need to sign a guy or two just to get to the salary floor.
8M is the cost of a back-up on a number of good teams.

I think that if Vlade strikes first and fast, we should be able to sign Hezonja.

Those other teams have other Free Agent priorities in Jabari Parker (Bucks) and Cavs (LeBron). It's going to take a few days to a week for them to sort those guys out.

If Vlade shows the "Love" right at the beginning of FA signings, I think we get Mario.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like the Hezonja gamble. It's all a question of price. And you don't have to make him the only SF you obtain so it's not all or nothing.

I'd probably take a flyer on 2 years at $8M for him if he's our best option at the time. It's essentially a Tolliver/Temple/Shumpert type deal but instead of some over the hill veteran plugging up space, we have a guy for the same price that we can actually be excited about possibly developing.

He's been wildly inconsistent but he's also been jerked around over there a bunch too. Over here he can settle into the SF spot and have a defined role where he knows what he's going to be getting into every time he comes to work. With him at JJ at the 3, that's two potential 3&D prospects that are basically the same age and have shown flashes here and there but both need to develop a more consistent 3 point shot. Hezonja had a run last year where he was scoring the ball consistently. It wasn't like McLemore where it happened once every couple weeks or so.

According to the article posted in the other thread, Hezonja was actually very good at defending the pick and role. Up in the 90th percentile or so. I think Joerger's offense is terrible but it did get Justin Jackson a bunch of wide open looks from 3 last year. I think Hezonja would benefit greatly from a few wide open shots a game and a more simplistic role where he can concentrate on just a few things instead of how to score and defend at 3 positions like he was having to do on the Magic.

The wrong situation in Orlando? But, he’s coming to the right one in Sac? Ok. Peja is going to be his mentor? Please, Pejacouldn’t even manage a D league team. I really don’t understand your rational. Going to Sac and Learning under Peja is going to make this guy serviceable. Would be another bone headed and stupid decision by Vlade.
What is up with Dissing Peja and his managing of the D league team? Who do you like at SF?

Hez, Parker, or Barton. I prefer Barton, but those guys fit. If Kings go a little lighter this offseason (not a bad idea) then Kyle Anderson.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm trying to find out the infatuation with Hezonja, he had no business going in the lottery when Orlando took him. He won't all of a sudden turn into a good shooter because he left the Magic.

I'm trying to find out the infatuation with Hezonja, he had no business going in the lottery when Orlando took him. He won't all of a sudden turn into a good shooter because he left the Magic.
The infatuation isn't because people think he's suddenly going to be awesome if he gets here.

It's because his contract shouldn't be for a ton of money nor a ton of years. He's young and still has the potential to turn things around and it would be a lot more fun watching a guy that has a chance, even if it's a small chance, to turn into something rather than watching an aging end of the bench vet pointlessly take up minutes.

Many of us also don't find the signing of any big free agents to be realistic so signing an ex lottery pick on the cheap seems intriguing. He could develop into a solid rotational player or just be the Magic's version of Ben McLemore. We don't really know but I'd rather give him a shot over an even more expensive ill fitting piece or a vet that won't be here in a few years when basketball might count for something again.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The infatuation isn't because people think he's suddenly going to be awesome if he gets here.

It's because his contract shouldn't be for a ton of money nor a ton of years. He's young and still has the potential to turn things around and it would be a lot more fun watching a guy that has a chance, even if it's a small chance, to turn into something rather than watching an aging end of the bench vet pointlessly take up minutes.

Many of us also don't find the signing of any big free agents to be realistic so signing an ex lottery pick on the cheap seems intriguing. He could develop into a solid rotational player or just be the Magic's version of Ben McLemore. We don't really know but I'd rather give him a shot over an even more expensive ill fitting piece or a vet that won't be here in a few years when basketball might count for something again.
the Kings have plenty of youth to play all ready, I don't see where Hezonja fits in this equation. I understand signing him over a vet, but since Shump is here for the season and if Temple re-signs, you have vets capable of playing the three and they are better than anything Hezonja can give a team right now.

the Kings have plenty of youth to play all ready, I don't see where Hezonja fits in this equation. I understand signing him over a vet, but since Shump is here for the season and if Temple re-signs, you have vets capable of playing the three and they are better than anything Hezonja can give a team right now.
What's the point in planning for the future and acquiring young talent if you're just going to play patchwork vets over them?

What would be your plan for the gaping hole at SF then?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Bogdan and Shumpert aren’t big enough to play it full time and Jackson did not show enough to think he is the go forward answer.
big enough? as if that matters anymore. The Kings drafted Jackson at 15, so they may as well let him learn the job with trial and error. I'm sure he knows he needs to add weight to his girl-like frame so how much work he puts in is on him but Bogs is more than capable of playing the SF position and I can't say the same when I watch Hezonja.

If the Kings can't recruit Mario with Peja leading the charge, that is a sad commentary on their persuasion and salesmanship. What the Kings should do if they are so inclined is produce a video with Mario and Peja highlights interspersed to show the similarity and let it be known if this kid wants to take his career to the next level and have a former two time all-star take him under his wing and help him realize his potential as the former #5 pick in the draft, Sacramento is the place to be. Mario has great leg speed, shoots an easy three ball and just starting to realize how good he can be. He needs to learn the finer tangible and intangible points and get with complementary core to maximize his potential. This team could be us if our front office gets their s**t together. After our draft I am mildly optimistic it can happen. The pickings are slim out there on the free agency market. Mario would be a great get to upgrade our talent fill need and push G-Leaguer Jackson further down the depth chart.