Resolutions can be complicated:

I agree but they've got this down to just 3 or 4 issues. In my mind, there are like 20 different scenarios that could lead to a compromise so I don't see why this should be too hard. IMO, Stern wanted to do everything in his power to get an 82 game schedule but when the arena managers and NBA schedule maker told him that it would be a virtually impossible stunt, he decided to cancel another 2 weeks and get what he can out of the players. A deal is out there.

Obviously, as my sig suggests, I'm strongly in favor of one of the sticking points and that's the mid level exception and for it not to be allowed for tax payers. As a fan, I want competitive balance and taking the MLE away from tax payers would be a great move towards getting more parity in the league. Miami brought in the big 3 under the thinking that they could just rebuild the roster around them through MLE free agent moves. Taking it away limits their options considerably. They won't be getting any high draft picks and since they're close to the lux tax, wouldn't be able to sign MLE players either.

To me, there are lots of ways to compromise. The owners can tell the players that they will bring it all the way back to $5.5 million if they agree to a 50/50 split or the owners could even give in to 52% but get the mid level/non tax payer thing passed as well as the other 2 sticking points out there.

It all comes down to just more horse trading now. We'll give in on 2 things if you give us the other 2. I'm hoping that right now, both sides are debating which ones they are more willing to give up on and that they come to some resolution this week.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree but they've got this down to just 3 or 4 issues. In my mind, there are like 20 different scenarios that could lead to a compromise so I don't see why this should be too hard. IMO, Stern wanted to do everything in his power to get an 82 game schedule but when the arena managers and NBA schedule maker told him that it would be a virtually impossible stunt, he decided to cancel another 2 weeks and get what he can out of the players. A deal is out there.

Obviously, as my sig suggests, I'm strongly in favor of one of the sticking points and that's the mid level exception and for it not to be allowed for tax payers. As a fan, I want competitive balance and taking the MLE away from tax payers would be a great move towards getting more parity in the league. Miami brought in the big 3 under the thinking that they could just rebuild the roster around them through MLE free agent moves. Taking it away limits their options considerably. They won't be getting any high draft picks and since they're close to the lux tax, wouldn't be able to sign MLE players either.

To me, there are lots of ways to compromise. The owners can tell the players that they will bring it all the way back to $5.5 million if they agree to a 50/50 split or the owners could even give in to 52% but get the mid level/non tax payer thing passed as well as the other 2 sticking points out there.

It all comes down to just more horse trading now. We'll give in on 2 things if you give us the other 2. I'm hoping that right now, both sides are debating which ones they are more willing to give up on and that they come to some resolution this week.
I agree with you on the mid-level exception by the way. I also admit that finding a solution seems simple on the surface, but apparently not to the parties involved. In any negotiation like this, its hard to know who's telling the truth, or at the very least bending it to fit their cause. The owners stated before the last round that they were no longer married to a 50/50 split. Hunter stated that he got up and left the meeting because the owners had gone back to the 50/50 split, which was unnegotiatable to the union. Stern said that he said no such thing. Stern said he asked Hunter if the union was willing to move down from the 52% they were asking for, and Hunter got up and left.

Now if Stern is telling the truth, then there is 2 percent to work with between the parties. What you seem to have now is the union not willing to move off of the 52% figure, which seems to be unnegotiatable to the league. Logic suggests that a resolution is somewhere between the two figures, and the owners have said they're willing to bargain. Once again, its a question of whose telling the truth.

I agree with you on the mid-level exception by the way. I also admit that finding a solution seems simple on the surface, but apparently not to the parties involved. In any negotiation like this, its hard to know who's telling the truth, or at the very least bending it to fit their cause. The owners stated before the last round that they were no longer married to a 50/50 split. Hunter stated that he got up and left the meeting because the owners had gone back to the 50/50 split, which was unnegotiatable to the union. Stern said that he said no such thing. Stern said he asked Hunter if the union was willing to move down from the 52% they were asking for, and Hunter got up and left.

Now if Stern is telling the truth, then there is 2 percent to work with between the parties. What you seem to have now is the union not willing to move off of the 52% figure, which seems to be unnegotiatable to the league. Logic suggests that a resolution is somewhere between the two figures, and the owners have said they're willing to bargain. Once again, its a question of whose telling the truth.
Good question. I've seen stories that suggest that Fisher and Kobe are willing to take 50/50. Since Fisher is Hunter's right hand man, I have to think he would be more willing to go that route. Therefore, I say that the league is being honest and that Hunter is doing his last gasp attempt at leverage negotiating by walking out of the room.

That being said, I don't think that it even matters who is telling the truth. 52/48 or 50/50 should be fine with either side. It's a matter of horse trading at this point. We'll give you the BRI split if you give us the mid level arrangement of our choice.

Or maybe the league can say that they'll stick with the dollar for dollar lux tax rule that's already in place if the player's agree to not allow teams to exceed it past a 2nd year meaning that you can pay the tax at the going rate and do it for 2 years straight provided you have enough expiring contracts to make sure you're under the threshold by year 3. This is good for the fans because the Lakers will have to make decisions now and not just stay above the tax forever. Take away the MLE as well and they're really screwed.

But the overall bottom line is that with 3 or 4 issues remaining, the liars need to quit lying and make a deal. Again, I have no idea who is telling the truth but whoever isn't, needs to quit lying because a deal is very reachable.

Lastly, I do think that Stern tried as hard as he could to make an 82 game schedule but that the arena managers told him that it would be impossible. Therefore, he has less reason to compromise right away. Knowing that 82 games is impossible, he can go back to negotiating for a couple more days and trying to get as much of a compromise as he can from the union. If they make a deal by Wednesday, you can start the season on December 2nd and from everything that I've heard, that's where the backup schedule comes into play.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
:D
Good question. I've seen stories that suggest that Fisher and Kobe are willing to take 50/50. Since Fisher is Hunter's right hand man, I have to think he would be more willing to go that route. Therefore, I say that the league is being honest and that Hunter is doing his last gasp attempt at leverage negotiating by walking out of the room.

That being said, I don't think that it even matters who is telling the truth. 52/48 or 50/50 should be fine with either side. It's a matter of horse trading at this point. We'll give you the BRI split if you give us the mid level arrangement of our choice.

Or maybe the league can say that they'll stick with the dollar for dollar lux tax rule that's already in place if the player's agree to not allow teams to exceed it past a 2nd year meaning that you can pay the tax at the going rate and do it for 2 years straight provided you have enough expiring contracts to make sure you're under the threshold by year 3. This is good for the fans because the Lakers will have to make decisions now and not just stay above the tax forever. Take away the MLE as well and they're really screwed.

But the overall bottom line is that with 3 or 4 issues remaining, the liars need to quit lying and make a deal. Again, I have no idea who is telling the truth but whoever isn't, needs to quit lying because a deal is very reachable.

Lastly, I do think that Stern tried as hard as he could to make an 82 game schedule but that the arena managers told him that it would be impossible. Therefore, he has less reason to compromise right away. Knowing that 82 games is impossible, he can go back to negotiating for a couple more days and trying to get as much of a compromise as he can from the union. If they make a deal by Wednesday, you can start the season on December 2nd and from everything that I've heard, that's where the backup schedule comes into play.
I haven't heard anything about the league having trouble getting the arena's to comply, but I don't doubt it could be a problem with events getting booked a year in advance. Just sitting down and scheduling the regular season has to an undertaking in itself. But to add on at the end and try and work around previously scheduled events could be a nightmare. At this point I just hope they have some sort of season, and the sooner the better.

However the good news is, if they end up cancelling the whole season, the Kings are in the lottery again, and if there is a basketball god, they'll win the drawing and get Drummond. I guess I'm just the happy optimist....:D

:D

I haven't heard anything about the league having trouble getting the arena's to comply, but I don't doubt it could be a problem with events getting booked a year in advance. Just sitting down and scheduling the regular season has to an undertaking in itself. But to add on at the end and try and work around previously scheduled events could be a nightmare. At this point I just hope they have some sort of season, and the sooner the better.

However the good news is, if they end up cancelling the whole season, the Kings are in the lottery again, and if there is a basketball god, they'll win the drawing and get Drummond. I guess I'm just the happy optimist....:D
Would the NBA give Sac another season or would they enforce the March deadline of having an arena on the drawing board and ready to break ground?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Would the NBA give Sac another season or would they enforce the March deadline of having an arena on the drawing board and ready to break ground?
Well, if the March deadline is met, it doesn't matter. I think the arena committee is going ahead as though the season is being played, and thats as it should be. To my mind its apples and oranges. One has nothing to do with the other.