Report: Nash wins MVP

Nash deserved it, you take him away from PHX and they would have been lucky to made the playoffs. That team is not much different than the crappy team they had last year. Look how bad they struggled when he was injured.

You take Bibby, Kidd and you probally have a 60 win team and as bad as guy like Brevin knight and they probally have a 50 win team. Nash definitely took them from nothing to something, but then again they had Barbosa as there PG for more than half the season and he's ...not very good, yet. They have Amare who was a stud the 2nd half of last year 20/10 or close I believe, Marion who was a former AS, JJ who has been great this year and is in his 3rd year and Q who adds punch and you get a much better team than last year. Nash is definitely the glue that holds them though, it was between Shaq and Nash, I guess the voters don't mind Nash plays No D, whatever.

The MVP selection is laced with politics and the economic interest of the NBA, otherwise they would just ship the trophy to Shack and have a new one made when he retires.

I just don't think SHAQ deserved it either. I don't know what all the hype about Shaq is. I just look at him as a big man whose size makes him impossible to gaurd (unless you are Detroit) and his talent is not as big as he is. I get that he is good on the low post, but what guy, his size, who can play the game, wouldn't be. Someone change my mind please, because I just don't get it.

Good for NASH!!!

Freakout said:
Nash deserved it, you take him away from PHX and they would have been lucky to made the playoffs. That team is not much different than the crappy team they had last year. Look how bad they struggled when he was injured.
I agree. Nash wasn't my favorite to win, but he is most definately the most valuable on his team.

F

Fillmoe

Freakout said:
its MVP of the league! not MVP of your team....... can he dominate like Shaq? take Shaq out of the Miami team now and i bet you the team starts struggling! Hes a threat when any team plays him! can you say the same for Nash? Nash is just a role player..... he distributes the ball to the stars with his excellent vision.... Shaq on the other hand can dominate any player in the league 1 on 1....... Nash has changed this PHX team around but i think hes replaceable with the Jason Kidds and Mike Bibbys basically any good unselfish PG.... can you say the same for Shaq?

loopymitch said:
I'm glad he won, getting tired of Shaq.

Getting tired of Shaq? Just in case you didn't know, Shaq only has 1 MVP trophy. He deserves it every year. Injuries kept him from getting it the last 2 years but this year he deserved it more than Nash did.

C Diddy said:
Getting tired of Shaq? Just in case you didn't know, Shaq only has 1 MVP trophy. He deserves it every year. Injuries kept him from getting it the last 2 years but this year he deserved it more than Nash did.

Why does he deserve it? Please someone explain to me what is so great about Shaq? I just don't get it. Like I said earlier, I think his girth far exceeds his talent.

Fillmoe said:
its MVP of the league! not MVP of your team....... can he dominate like Shaq?
Apparently this is part of the problem..there is no definition of MVP. Some voters do think it is MVP to your team. That is why so much of the discussion has been over whose team would have been worse without him? Still, apparently every voter can set whatever criteria they want for their vote.

The only thing that bugs me, is I've heard some "experts" say Bibby willnever be considered an elite PG, because of his poor defense. But Nash can be MVP (and an Allstar) with HIS defensive liabilites!?!?!?!:eek:

Last edited:
Daniela said:
Why does he deserve it? Please someone explain to me what is so great about Shaq? I just don't get it. Like I said earlier, I think his girth far exceeds his talent.
Shaquille O'Neal is the most dominant player in the NBA. He is unguardable in the post. The only thing that stops Shaquille O'Neal is himself or the officials. I'm not a Shaq fan by any means but I can plainly see that having a guy like Shaquille O'Neal on your team makes that team instantly 25+ games better. He is a 3-time finals MVP. He comes up big on the biggest stages, in the biggest games. Shaq plays D, Shaq rebounds, Shaq draws double teams, Shaq is dominant in the post and can score 30 any game. Those 4 things are whats most important as an MVP and Shaq brings them every year. If his conditioning were better and if he didn't have so many foot problems he would of won it outright the last 2 years. I know we as Kings fans hate Shaq but I know you can see how valuable he is to the Lakers in the past and to the Heat now.

Freakout said:
Nash is definitely the MVP of the Phoenix Suns, I just don't think that makes him the MVP of the NBA.

PixelPusher said:
Nash is definitely the MVP of the Phoenix Suns, I just don't think that makes him the MVP of the NBA.
I think you've pinpointed the problem with the voting --- the voters heavily lean on team record. Suns had the best record, Wade averaged more points per game as Shaq effectively cruised through the regular season (seriously, Shaq can basically average 22 and 10 [or whatever he averaged] in his sleep), so Nash won the MVP award this year. There really wasn't anyone else to vote for this year.

A

AriesMar27

hell, if you swap shaq and nash... which team would win more games?

shaq deserved it.....

barbosa
qrich
marion
amare
shaq

is better than
nash
wade
jones
scrub(dont know his name, laettener, somebody who sucks)
scrub(mourning is the back up now, hed be in phoenix if the swap happened)

shaq is more important to any team if they swap their best player outside of maybe duncan..... shaqs team will win more games....

sloter said:
so who is worse ?
don't get me wrong, i think Nash is an excellent player ... but not a dominant player by any means ...
i agree....nash is definitely not a dominant player, though i dont believe the mvp must be a dominant player. mvp is the player considered to most "most valuable" during the regular season. this season, the suns were the most dominant team in the nba, because they smothered every other team with their incredibly dynamic offensive attack. had they not last nash to minor injury midseason, they wouldnt have lost 6 in a row, and could conceivably had less than 10 losses. either way, they had one helluva season....and nash is primarily the reason. imo, he earned it.