Report: Nash wins MVP

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Good for Steve -- would have got my vote. Nice little MVP for an unselfish player who really made an enormous difference for that franchise. He's no MJ, but he and his team have really been the biggest story this season, and it does not work at all without him.

i would have given it to shaq or iverson. iverson had NO ONE until webber came, he willed his team into the playoffs, always driving, playing his butt off everysingle game while playing defense. does nash know what defense is??? hell even duncan over nash, then agian, he'll win the finals MVP, so i doubt he feels slighted.

the mavs had a better record with out him, so that kinda dimishes his value to me. shaq's old team went from the finals last year to 11 games out of the playoffs HUGE dropoff.

just my opinion.

heypartner said:
That would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that Shaq has only won 1 MVP award.
I wasn't talking about his MVP's I was just talking about in general. His head is big enough. Dallas may not have got worse without nash but they already had a team without him. I like to see different players win this. It's boring when the same people keep winning. I'm just really glad it wasn't AI!!!

Nash clearly benefitted from no one else having a huge statistical year on a team with a record similar to the Suns. Shaq's statistics this year are some of the worst of his career, just to put things in perspective.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I just cannot imagine how somebody could dislike Steve Nash with a passion. With the possible exception of Grant Hill and maybe Vlade, he might be the nicest guy in the entire NBA.

Despite all my complaining, I am glad the Steve Nash won. Canada needs the recognition, especially since Oscar Peterson and Hank Snow have long-since been gone.

Why is it a good thing that Shaq didn't win? Do you feel that Shaq isn't deserving of the award this season, or just in general? Is there a particular reason you feel anyone deserves it more then Shaq? Nash isn't as valuable to his team as Shaquille O'Neal is to his. I liken Nash's arrival in Phoenix to Jackson's arrival in Los Angeles that first year. Amare, Joe Johnson, Quentin Richardson, are all young guys improving every year. They were all due for a breakout season. Marion has been putting up outstanding numbers every year. Most people would agree (including me) that Coach D'antoni is the Coach of the Year. He made some great lineup moves which brought about their success. Moving Marion to 4 and Amare to 5 were brilliant ideas. This allowed them to be more athletic and to run the ball more. No one argues D'antoni's value to the Suns this season. He made the changes that brought about the team's success coupled with career years from Richardson, Amare, and Joe Johnson. Nash isn't as valuable as it appears. Dallas won more games without him then they did with him. Is that to say that Jason Terry and Devin Harris are better point guards then Nash is? Of course not. Harris is too young still and Terry is a scorer, not a floor leader.
The Mavericks actually got BETTER by letting Nash go. How can an MVP's old team get better without him? Look at the Lakers, Shaq leaves and they miss the playoffs. Sure, Shaq being traded wasn't the only reason (coaching, injuries, off-court issues) but its obvious that Shaq's trade was a significant detriment to the Lakers season. To me, that's what makes a player the MVP. The impact he has on the NBA as a whole. The ability to take over and dominate a game. Nash hasn't dominated any games. He doesn't demand the ball in the clutch, he isn't asked to take the big shots, and he doesn't play any defense against the opponent's guards.

Nash would of gotten my 4th place vote, behind Shaq, Iverson, Lebron.

Bricklayer said:
With the possible exception of Grant Hill and maybe Vlade, he might be the nicest guy in the entire NBA.
Agree on those two. I'd have to add Yao to that list, as well.

loopymitch said:
I like to see different players win this.
I like to see the most valuable player win the MVP. imo, it made the award a farce when Jordan didn't win every year, just so we could honor Barkley and Malone's best years, which still weren't anywhere close to the years MJ was having.

I don't mind Nash winning. But I just think it's weird that Shaq will probably retire with only 1 MVP.

Daniela said:
Why does he deserve it? Please someone explain to me what is so great about Shaq? I just don't get it. Like I said earlier, I think his girth far exceeds his talent.
I totally agree with what you said. If he were normal size, he would not be half as good as he is now.

El Duque said:
Really, now?
:eek:
At the very least, the same arguments that Shaq supporters are making against Nash should apply to Iverson. IRRATIONAL RANT ALERT. First off, Duncan got jobbed in 2001. Shaq could also make a strong argument for 2001 although he missed his typical quota of games due to conditioning injuries/laziness.

I know the following for fact: there is a logical argument for Shaq being the "real" MVP of the league every year simply because he's a human building and great centers are the anchor of a team's defense and fast break (from rebounds). However, Shaq is the only one to blame for never winning more than 1 MVP. His poor work ethic (and probably his attitude and childish behavior) have soured the voters for years. To be truthful, I'm a Laker fan and I never thought he deserved the MVP other than 2000 and maybe 2001. This year, I thought Garnett had a claim due to his output alone. Duncan is always in the race. I thought Nash and Shaq above all else were the cogs that made their new teams work. However, Nash had a career year and Shaq's numbers were slightly deflated. Nash also never had any rough spots this season, Shaq got off to a slow start and decided to go on a mid-season vacation instead of putting in the type of dedication that Nash did.

Although I may agree somewhat with the human building theory, Iverson and Nash played all out in 2001 and 2005, Shaq didn't. Story of his career.

Another thing. I'd hope that Shaq would be man enough to give Nash props WITHOUT ever insinuating that he got robbed.

...but I know that's not gonna happen.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Gargamel said:
Another thing. I'd hope that Shaq would be man enough to give Nash props WITHOUT ever insinuating that he got robbed.

...but I know that's not gonna happen.
I saw an interview of Shaq about this subject and he gave nice props to Nash. In fact, he was much more gracious than I thought he was capable. Good for Shaq.

6th said:
I saw an interview of Shaq about this subject and he gave nice props to Nash. In fact, he was much more gracious than I thought he was capable. Good for Shaq.
Give him some time. Soon, he'll be making little insinuations that the voters made the wrong decision. He's done it before against Duncan, much less Nash.

Nasty comments from Ron Jeremy, btw... Shut up, Ron. Don't act like you know why Shaq didn't win more MVPs before he came to Miami. It isn't an award that you win by default from being a human building. I hope. I hope Shaq isn't using Ron as his mouthpiece here.

O'Neal said he didn't consider losing the MVP race to be a snub. Others strongly disagreed; Heat coach Stan Van Gundy called the result ``beyond ludicrous.''

``If you went and asked any general manager in the league for the past dozen years who's the one player they'd want to have, they'd say Shaquille O'Neal,'' Van Gundy said. ``And he's been selected by you brilliant people in the media, selected as the most valuable player in the league one time. Once? Only once?''

The Wizards, who were 0-4 against Miami during the regular season, seemed less than excited about the prospects of facing an angry and motivated Shaq -- who says his sore right thigh is much better and that he doesn't expect to be physically hampered in this series.

O'Neal feigned disappointed tears when asked about the MVP topic Saturday, and congratulated Nash -- the first Canadian to win the award -- on his season.

``He's a great guy,'' O'Neal said. ``It's been a good year for Steve. He had twins, just got married, is playing great basketball. Congratulations, Steve. Congratulations to the Canadian people. It's a great honor. ... But we're focusing on the big prize at the end. I think that's going to be more important.''

Last edited:
My one disappointment is that Nash is apologetic about winning it instead of Shaq. You deserved it, man. It's not cocky to act like you know it.

PS: First player to average 11.5 apg since Stockton in 1995. Higher than Kidd has ever averaged in a season. Also, .502 FG%. First player to average at least 15.5 ppg and 11.5 apg since Stockton in 1992. First player to average at least 15.5 ppg, 11.5 apg, and .500 shooting since Stockton in 1991. First player to average at least 15.5 ppg, 11.5 apg, .500 shooting, and 3.3 rpg since Magic and Kevin Johnson in 1989.

Last edited:
Gargamel said:
PS: First player to average 11.5 apg since Stockton in 1995. Higher than Kidd has ever averaged in a season. Also, .502 FG%. First player to average at least 15.5 ppg and 11.5 apg since Stockton in 1992. First player to average at least 15.5 ppg, 11.5 apg, and .500 shooting since Stockton in 1991. First player to average at least 15.5 ppg, 11.5 apg, .500 shooting, and 3.3 rpg since Magic and Kevin Johnson in 1989.
A lot of "since Stockton" on that list. I wonder why Stockton never got the MVP? I'll tell you why: 15ppg and 11apg aren't MVP numbers. When was the last time someone averaging under 16ppg won the MVP award? I'm willing to guess it was never. Point guards who don't play defense shouldn't win MVP awards. At least Kidd plays solid defense.

C Diddy said:
A lot of "since Stockton" on that list. I wonder why Stockton never got the MVP? I'll tell you why: 15ppg and 11apg aren't MVP numbers.
1) Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Charles Barkley.

2) Malone offset a lot of his votes in his best seasons.

3) Jazz didn't have a 60-win season until Stockton was 32. That year, Robinson was consensus MVP.

If we're making statistics our argument, Shaq avg'd 23/10. Pretty weak output for a supposed MVP center. Wes Unseld won the MVP on 13.8 ppg. Bill Russell on 14.1.

Bricklayer said:
I just cannot imagine how somebody could dislike Steve Nash with a passion. With the possible exception of Grant Hill and maybe Vlade, he might be the nicest guy in the entire NBA.
I am sure he is a nice guy off court but on court he is annoying as hell.

T

thesanityannex

who cares who wins mvp? none of the kings were in the running so it was pointless to me. bibby will win mvp next year. quote me.

Miami sstarted taking Shaq off the floor on defense and subbing in Mourning because of Shaq's poor defense playing screen and roll. So now he can't be fed the ball at crunch time because of his poor free throw shooting and he can't be in on the defensive end at crunch time because of his defensive limitations. This doesn't sound like an MVP to me.

Nash is okay but probably the weakest MVP in ages. He makes the offense go but he's a total defensive liability. The ideal MVP comes from a dominant team and is dominant at both ends of the floor. Duncan would have been a better choice had he not missed so many games. But even if Duncan hadn't missed those games Shaq was the sound bite choice and Nash the flash choice as leader of the Suns' highwire offense, so one of those two was going to get it.