Reality is upon us and it sucks....Bibbs and Ron Ron staying?

Everyone wants him to trade Mike/Ron for expirings/picks/young guys but with their trade value so low HE CAN'T DO THAT. They should both opt out next year anyway giving us some cap room. So he's banking on the fact that they'll opt out or their trade values will go up.
See, though, that doesn't make sense for the players (or the agents who will be twisting their arms). If Bibby wanted to go somewhere else for lower pay, he had his chance this summer, and he wasn't interested. Money is just too strong of an influence.

So, if they suck, they will stay, and the trade options will only improve as they turn into guaranteed enders. If they play really well, their trade stock goes up, but not by that much, because the better they do the greater their chances of opting out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
See, though, that doesn't make sense for the players (or the agents who will be twisting their arms). If Bibby wanted to go somewhere else for lower pay, he had his chance this summer, and he wasn't interested. Money is just too strong of an influence.

So, if they suck, they will stay, and the trade options will only improve as they turn into guaranteed enders. If they play really well, their trade stock goes up, but not by that much, because the better they do the greater their chances of opting out.
Nice post.

And the second paragraph does a really good job of pretty much summing up the whole picture as it looks today...

:)

Exactly, and as long as they don't eat up too many minutes if they suck, then I am a happy camper.

Yeah but if Mike plays well(he's capable of a 20/7 season IMO) he will opt out for sure. Last year he had a garbage season for him(17/4 with bad FG%). He said before the season started he was gonna opt out, but changed his mind when his value went down by a lot. And for Ron, he will probably opt out anyway. So all we need to do is trade Reef for an expiring contract anyway and we should have a lot of money.

My beef with Petrie is that he has avoided drafting a bigman for so long, not with his lack of trades.

First of all does anyone reasonably think any team actually wants KT/SAR/Miller? Old inefficient injury prone players who are overpaid. Personally I wish we hadn't even gotten these guys in the first place, but we did and were pretty much stuck.

Now as far as Bibby and Artest goes, I know most people think Bibby and Artest are icky because theyre mean but quite frankly there isnt really anyone out there who wants these players and is actually able/willing to part with the kind of players we want.

Is it Petrie's fault the Knicks wont give up Lee? No its not, but it is his fault were in this crappy situation in the first place.

So fire Petrie because of bad past moves and redundant drafting, but not because youre bored and want to see trades happen for the hell of it. Not because we can't pull off a magical trade for bibby and artest for that Oden-esque player we all want. Or even a David Lee type would be great, but those guys are not the kind of players you give up for old vets with baggage.

so anyways im pretty tired of this "a trade must happen or I will stop being a fan" or whatever you wanna call it talk. But im not tired of the Petrie bashing, because I think hes a moron with all these combo guards we have on the team, and no true Point other than Bibby. It seems like at least he finally finally understands or the Maloofs have forced him to address our bigman issue, and he's got Shakur and Jeter at least on summer league tryign to do somethign about a young true(see pass first/create) PG. Probably too little too late. But hey at least he's doing something about it, instead of tossing more combo guards at all of our problems.

If Petrie is waiting for the contracts to expire than so be it. It's only the middle of the summer though. Just "wait and see". That's the attitude I have taken. If we only get bad contracts back than what's the use in trading them?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
We all may be missing one giant possibility from the new coach who played 11 years in the league. A new starting lineup. I'm not saying mine below is THE starting lineup but it is one hypothetical lineup that could be exciting.

PG Bibby backed by Shakur, Price
SG KMart backed by Salmons, Douby
SF RonRon backed by Garcia, Caner-Medley
PF Watkins backed by Williams, SAR
C Brad backed by Moore and Hawes

A total of 15. Somebody missing? not from my view.

Bench Mob is Shakur, Garcia, Williams/SAR and Moore/Hawes depending on matchups.

Who knows? Maybe Brad becomes a triple-double guy again, RonRon gets 3-4 steals/game and KMart (new coming of Pedja maybe?) gets 22-24 and 5-6 rebs. If slashing/driving and layups or dishouts are the rule, then the team better shot >75%+ FT. Lets see what Coach Reggie can do, eh?

Petrie? Considering the hand he is holding, put on the eyes and attitude of other GMs back east when they see into his hand. Who wants Brad or KT with 3 yr+ left with bloated contracts? And SAR is likely over the hump with few interested. To those who say fire Petrie, you don't have a clue of how little we have to offer others. Who do you think "needs" Brad or KT or SAR? and what do they have to offer?

Last edited:
Yeah but if Mike plays well(he's capable of a 20/7 season IMO) he will opt out for sure. Last year he had a garbage season for him(17/4 with bad FG%). He said before the season started he was gonna opt out, but changed his mind when his value went down by a lot. And for Ron, he will probably opt out anyway. So all we need to do is trade Reef for an expiring contract anyway and we should have a lot of money.
I don't think anyone wants Bibby and Artest traded for anything other than enders+. If that's available and I'd expect it is then we should definitely go for it, why have them take away minutes from the younger players when we can just trade them now?

A

AriesMar27

the only players i care about trading are thomas and reef.... as i suggested earlier id be down for trading one of them to houston forr all of their spare pgs... i could care less... we dont need them... let bibby and ron play out their contracts and dont resign them... maybe miller too how much longer is his contract?

I don't think anyone wants Bibby and Artest traded for anything other than enders+. If that's available and I'd expect it is then we should definitely go for it, why have them take away minutes from the younger players when we can just trade them now?

And what makes you think that teams are going to give us good young players, expirings, AND draft picks for Mike/Ron? Mike had a bad year last year and Ron is crazy. Would you give away your team's future for Ron? Absolutely NOT. Right now we will be lucky if we can get one of those 3 things. And honestly it's not like every team has an abundance of those assets anyway. Contending teams are packed with vets and young teams don't need either of the 2 because they're coming up but Bibby/Ron is a move for right now and it doesn't put them over the top. Petrie has to get the other GM to agree to a trade also, it's not like dude can just say "ALL YOUR EXPIRINGS+PICKS BELONG TO US".

They are basically expiring contracts anyway. They'll both probably opt out next year anyway so they basically are expirings. It's the Reefs, Millers, KTs that you need to get rid of and the only one who can probably fetch an expiring is Reef. And if we are planning to trade Mike/Ron, it makes sense to wait until they play better so we get more and not less. Right now all teams want to do is offer us garbage contracts+2nd round picks. Isiah only thought Ron was worth like Nate, Morris, and Malik Rose/Jeffries. In a Bibby deal we aren't going to be able to get back 13 million dollars worth of expirings(not many teams have this) AND young talent. So why not wait until they opt out, see if they can help us get a good season, and then we'll have 22 million to spend.

And honestly I don't think this "throw them out on the floor and force PT on them" strategy for our young players works too well. If you've ever played basketball you'd know that confidence is a huge issue, especially for a younger player in the NBA who doesn't know what his nightly production should be. There are no vets to teach them things then how are they supposed to learn everything? It's not like a guy can just go out there, play, have a bad game, and then be like "well I sucked and we lost, but no big deal I know I can play better". A guy has a string of bad games and he'll lose confidence and then stuff he'll normally make misses because of nerves/confidence issues. It's better to give them 15-20 minutes of PT IMO and bring them along slowly without killing their confidence but they'll still get some minutes.

Entity

Hall of Famer
We all may be missing one giant possibility from the new coach who played 11 years in the league. A new starting lineup. I'm not saying mine below is THE starting lineup but it is one hypothetical lineup that could be exciting.

Bench Mob is Shakur, Garcia, Williams/SAR and Moore/Hawes depending on matchups.

Who knows? Maybe Brad becomes a triple-double guy again, RonRon gets 3-4 steals/game and KMart (new coming of Pedja maybe?) gets 22-24 and 5-6 rebs. If slashing/driving and layups or dishouts are the rule, then the team better shot >75%+ FT. Lets see what Coach Reggie can do, eh?

Petrie? Considering the hand he is holding, put on the eyes and attitude of other GMs back east when they see into his hand. Who wants Brad or KT with 3 yr+ left with bloated contracts? And SAR is likely over the hump with few interested. To those who say fire Petrie, you don't have a clue of how little we have to offer others. Who do you think "needs" Brad or KT or SAR? and what do they have to offer?

I see you mentioning Watkins alot. Has he been invited to camp? If so did he really show you that he could be our PF. Or was we no showcasing him at the risk of another team offering him a bigger contract? Whats going on. I know he can hit the jumper and block shots and rebound. hmmm come to think of it i think i know what you saw in him. His defense is good just wondering what his pros and cons are.

BTW you are missing KT in the depth chart.

OK, so we've got a KT buyout required, which I'm fine with, but 3 of those 15 guys won't be playing because they're only allowed on the inactive list. Price may not be coming back, in which case we're looking at Jeter as the most likely candidate. That gives us a team with 4 undrafted rookies on it; I nominate 3 for the DL (any 3, as long as there's only 1 PG in the lot). No point in having people waste time on the inactive list when they could be improving their game.

P.S. - I like Watkins too, but I don't think he's ready to start over the more experienced players. Decent find as undrafted guys go, but a rookie is still a rookie.

CruzDude

you mentioning Watkins alot. Has he been invited to camp? If so did he really show you that he could be our PF. Or was we no showcasing him at the risk of another team offering him a bigger contract? defense is good just wondering what his pros and cons are.

BTW you are missing KT in the depth chart.
no I didn't. A 6-8 PF at 230 who can't jump, bang and does't like to run nor finish underneath isn't on my list!

Miller would be my priority move, then Bibby, finally Artest. I know, I know, we can't find any GMs dumb enough to take Miller at his inflated price. But I'm holding out hope cos we found somebody dumb enough to take CWebb's contract. :cool: ;)

Miller would be my priority move, then Bibby, finally Artest. I know, I know, we can't find any GMs dumb enough to take Miller at his inflated price. But I'm holding out hope cos we found somebody dumb enough to take CWebb's contract. :cool: ;)
if this involves taking on another kenny thomas, i'll pass.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And yet, somewhat ironically, here we are 2 1/2 years later, STILL trying to find a way to get rid of one of the "flexible pieces" we obtained in the Webber deal.

Sorry, JoMama, but I have to agree with Sluggah.

:)

And what makes you think that teams are going to give us good young players, expirings, AND draft picks for Mike/Ron? Mike had a bad year last year and Ron is crazy. Would you give away your team's future for Ron? Absolutely NOT. Right now we will be lucky if we can get one of those 3 things. And honestly it's not like every team has an abundance of those assets anyway. Contending teams are packed with vets and young teams don't need either of the 2 because they're coming up but Bibby/Ron is a move for right now and it doesn't put them over the top. Petrie has to get the other GM to agree to a trade also, it's not like dude can just say "ALL YOUR EXPIRINGS+PICKS BELONG TO US".

They are basically expiring contracts anyway. They'll both probably opt out next year anyway so they basically are expirings. It's the Reefs, Millers, KTs that you need to get rid of and the only one who can probably fetch an expiring is Reef. And if we are planning to trade Mike/Ron, it makes sense to wait until they play better so we get more and not less. Right now all teams want to do is offer us garbage contracts+2nd round picks. Isiah only thought Ron was worth like Nate, Morris, and Malik Rose/Jeffries. In a Bibby deal we aren't going to be able to get back 13 million dollars worth of expirings(not many teams have this) AND young talent. So why not wait until they opt out, see if they can help us get a good season, and then we'll have 22 million to spend.

And honestly I don't think this "throw them out on the floor and force PT on them" strategy for our young players works too well. If you've ever played basketball you'd know that confidence is a huge issue, especially for a younger player in the NBA who doesn't know what his nightly production should be. There are no vets to teach them things then how are they supposed to learn everything? It's not like a guy can just go out there, play, have a bad game, and then be like "well I sucked and we lost, but no big deal I know I can play better". A guy has a string of bad games and he'll lose confidence and then stuff he'll normally make misses because of nerves/confidence issues. It's better to give them 15-20 minutes of PT IMO and bring them along slowly without killing their confidence but they'll still get some minutes.
Where did I say we could get all three? I said if we can get expirings and maybe something extra that would be totally fine. I don't see why we should just go on the assumption that they'll opt out if we don't have to. Miami is interested in Bibby, they have enough expirings to get it done and they really have no use in keeping those expirings and they have no greater need than PG. Thoughts like their trade value could get better are what got us into trouble last offseason when they thought that about Bibby and Artest then their trade values went down. The chances of them getting better now is probably worse than it was last year, it's time to give up on this dream.

As far as the minutes for the kids, well I'm not talking about making them 30+ mpg starters right off the bat but don't lock them into insignificant minutes because we can't bench guys like Artest and Bibby (for obvious reasons). I think you should give young players a little more credit. They're not as mentally fragile as you make them sound. Our most inexperienced player is Hawes and we already have Moore and Miller as vets to share the PT. Keeping Bibby and Artest on the grounds that we need vets to share the PT with the young kids is just straight up overkill. Assuming we can get expirings for them (which I don't see why not) then we're more than likely getting veterans back so that solves your concerns about the kids getting "too many" minutes. Also there is the thing that people don't like to admit this is important and that's if we keep all these guys then we're going to sacrifice a better draft position for nothing. Having better chances at a higher draft pick and having more opportunities available for the young players is exactly what a rebuilding team should be doing. What you want to happen is exactly what we've been doing the last two years.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm willing to take what I can get rather than hope/wish that I can get more down the line. Especially with Artest. If you sell a bomb with a faulty fuse you probably won't get much, but at least you won't get blown to smithereens. And yes, it does take 2 to make a trade. I'm wondering whether Petrie recognizes that fact. We'll see what happens over the next two months with Bibby. So far, the lack of trade prior to the draft to get more picks and then the signing of Miki doesn't exactly give confidence that the front office is serious. I'm skeptical of the "pain-free" strategy of rebuilding. That's my bias. My bias is also that I'd rather go through the pain now, rather than procrastinate because I think you'll just prolongue the pain, and in the end you'll end up with a team mediocre enough to get to the playoffs, but never have a realistic chance of going to the big dance.

They are basically expiring contracts anyway. They'll both probably opt out next year anyway so they basically are expirings. It's the Reefs, Millers, KTs that you need to get rid of and the only one who can probably fetch an expiring is Reef. And if we are planning to trade Mike/Ron, it makes sense to wait until they play better so we get more and not less. Right now all teams want to do is offer us garbage contracts+2nd round picks. Isiah only thought Ron was worth like Nate, Morris, and Malik Rose/Jeffries. In a Bibby deal we aren't going to be able to get back 13 million dollars worth of expirings(not many teams have this) AND young talent. So why not wait until they opt out, see if they can help us get a good season, and then we'll have 22 million to spend."
I've read this sentiment before - that Bibby and Artest will probably opt out. I don't understand why we should think that. At this point I don't why we should think that they will, or that they won't opt out. Isn't it more reasonable to be agnostic? I think it's 50-50% about them opting out. You could easily have both on your team next year. And my personal bias is that Artest is very unlikely to opt out because his value will be too low elsewhere.

That's an all or nothing argument, but still I'll bite. I don't see the Bobcats having confidence problems, even though their team is almost entirely young. It's not like those players have been ruined by getting all of that pt early on. Wallace didn't. I don't think Okafor or any of those guys have confidence problems that are going to stunt their longterm growth. (I will say, though, that if you draft some guys with questionable character and you don't surround them with quality vets, you're in for a world of hurt. As far as I can tell, we do not have that problem.) And really, the alternative that we should be talking about is having a few key veterans - good character guys - on the team with most of the team being young. As it is, we've got those fantabulous character role models of Artest and KT, and a huge logjam of mediocre vets at the PF/C spots. I don't see that as positive - at all - for the development of the young guys.

CruzDude

Watkins is under contract with Kings for coming year (maybe even more) but contract is only partially guaranteed. Soooo, Petrie picks up a good NBA hard body (6-11 and 260), major rebounder at both ends and a shot blocker who can score 10 pts a game. Has decent mid-range.

He played limited minutes in Las Vegas but was immediately effective in each game. My impression was the Kings did not want to expose him very much.

He played at Syracuse for 4 years and was major rebounder and shot blocker.

I'm willing to take what I can get rather than hope/wish that I can get more down the line. Especially with Artest. If you sell a bomb with a faulty fuse you probably won't get much, but at least you won't get blown to smithereens. And yes, it does take 2 to make a trade. I'm wondering whether Petrie recognizes that fact. We'll see what happens over the next two months with Bibby. So far, the lack of trade prior to the draft to get more picks and then the signing of Miki doesn't exactly give confidence that the front office is serious. I'm skeptical of the "pain-free" strategy of rebuilding. That's my bias. My bias is also that I'd rather go through the pain now, rather than procrastinate because I think you'll just prolongue the pain, and in the end you'll end up with a team mediocre enough to get to the playoffs, but never have a realistic chance of going to the big dance.
Yeah but that's a gamble also IMO. You're gambling on the fact that they won't have a better year next despite the fact that Bibby has shown he can be a good 2nd/great 3rd option for someone. If they don't opt out he'll still probably have a good year next year and you'll be able to get more at the deadline. Ron is basically an expiring contract. I know Ron is crazy but if Rashard Lewis can get 120 million in this league, Ron(who is a better player) should be able to get about 10 per year. He's already implied he'll be opting out. There's no reason to take back bad contracts next year.

Kingster said:
I've read this sentiment before - that Bibby and Artest will probably opt out. I don't understand why we should think that. At this point I don't why we should think that they will, or that they won't opt out. Isn't it more reasonable to be agnostic? I think it's 50-50% about them opting out. You could easily have both on your team next year. And my personal bias is that Artest is very unlikely to opt out because his value will be too low elsewhere.
So let me get this straight, Mike said at the beginning of last year he was ready to turn down 28 million so he could get a long term contract for less per year but he isn't going to turn down 14 million for a long term contract? That doesn't make much sense to me. Theus has already said things that give me a feeling he'll use Mike A LOT better than Muss and Mike shouldn't have the hand injury this year. Also the team should be running or atleast playing up tempo(as Reggie said) so that will inflate his APG numbers+get him some open baskets. And Ron already said he might opt out next year, knowing him he will especially if he wants to go to NY as badly as he supposedly does. Especially if he has a good year then he should opt out. For one, Justin is supposed to get a lot of PT and that should give Ron a shotblocker behind him so he'll be able to play tighter D instead of having to give them room for a 3 pointer/J so they don't drive past him. 2nd he'll be playing for a contract. It's likely he opts out.

Kingster said:
That's an all or nothing argument, but still I'll bite. I don't see the Bobcats having confidence problems, even though their team is almost entirely young. It's not like those players have been ruined by getting all of that pt early on. Wallace didn't. I don't think Okafor or any of those guys have confidence problems that are going to stunt their longterm growth. (I will say, though, that if you draft some guys with questionable character and you don't surround them with quality vets, you're in for a world of hurt. As far as I can tell, we do not have that problem.) And really, the alternative that we should be talking about is having a few key veterans - good character guys - on the team with most of the team being young. As it is, we've got those fantabulous character role models of Artest and KT, and a huge logjam of mediocre vets at the PF/C spots. I don't see that as positive - at all - for the development of the young guys.
They brought in different types of players. All the players they've brought in were confident guys who came from winning teams and they brought in defensive players. When I play basketball and I'm missing shots sometimes I lose a lot of confidence, but when I'm on D there is no confidence to lose because you're just trying as hard as you can to stop the other guy from scoring. Okafor's not a scorer. Gerald's not really a scorer, he plays hard and that's not something that's really effected by confidence. Felton was mentored by Brevin Knight for his 1st year or 2 so he had a veteran in front of him helping him. May started to get injured and he's never really been able to stay healthy since then, he probably wasn't ready physically and that was hard on his body to play against guys who are bigger, stronger, and smarter especially when he's out of shape. Morrison got immediate minutes, sucked, and his confidence went down.

Also I'd like to point out that the majority of the Kings youth have said Ron/Mike help them get better+teach them stuff. I remember hearing that Ron helped Douby get extra practice last year on one of the half time shows. You can tell that Ron has helped Justin as far as defensive court awareness goes because when you could hear what Justin was saying during the summer league(one of the games with no broadcaster) you could hear him say something like "don't worry man, don't foul him. I got it." So far Ron's "negativity" doesn't seem like it's rubbed off on the young players. Kevin's said he hopes Ron isn't traded and he makes his job easier or something like that. Douby+Justin practiced with Ron. It seemed to me that more of Ron's "Lockerroom problems" were run ins with veteran guys on the team. If you can find a way to get rid of a guy like Kenny that should make everyone in the lockerroom happier. Also remember a comment from Douby that was something like "well I try to learn a lot from Mike". These guys aren't hurting the young players IMO, they're helping them.

I think it's funny how everyone thinks they know how to do Petrie's job better then he does.
I don't know if they think they can do his job better than him, more like they just don't understand how he is currently doing his job. I gotta admit, I'm pretty much at a loss concerning recent events (or lack thereof) but I'd say Petrie has been a patient guy (maybe even to a fault at times) while he's been here so if I don't want to drive myself insane I'm going to have to be patient too.

There have been a lot of good ideas presented here that could probably really help the Kings, the only problem is that they either weren't tried or all parties were not in aggreement. Hence the patience. People present ideas and get frustrated because they care, not because they think they are better than someone else IMO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think it's funny how everyone thinks they know how to do Petrie's job better then he does.
So have you never been around sports message boards before? If we didn't at least harbor the fond dream that we can do Petrie's job better than he (and be better owners than the Maloofs, better coaches than Reggie, and probably better mascots than Slamson) then whatever would we have to talk about?

;)

If we didn't at least harbor the fond dream that we can do Petrie's job better than he (and be better owners than the Maloofs, better coaches than Reggie, and probably better mascots than Slamson) then whatever would we have to talk about?

;)
That leaves plenty of room for people discuss the great Kings malady known as Kenny Thomas and the great hype that is Justin Williams.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
That leaves plenty of room for people discuss the great Kings malady known as Kenny Thomas and the great hype that is Justin Williams.
Ad infinitum or ad nauseam?

Edit: VF, I believe it's pronounced "lame". ;)

Last edited:
And, of course, the magnificence that is the gold lamé uniforms!

:p
You know, that might be the one unifying topic around here.

For now on, when one of the threads really heats up and people start fighting and throwing insults around, maybe someone just needs to say "man, those gold unis really suck," and everyone will be back on the same page.