Projected Draft Order to 14.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Okoro is the type of player I always freak out over because he's fun as hell to watch. I love hard nosed defenders who make their living playing above the rim. But his lack of consistent shooting is a serious flaw that he'll need to correct and that makes him riskier than some of the other guys. I'm also aware that I often overrate guys who fit his profile so I'm trying to temper my expectations. If he actually is on the board at 12 I would be very tempted but he's not a very analytics friendly player so I don't know if our new front office would be.

Okoro is the type of player I always freak out over because he's fun as hell to watch. I love hard nosed defenders who make their living playing above the rim. But his lack of consistent shooting is a serious flaw that he'll need to correct and that makes him riskier than some of the other guys. I'm also aware that I often overrate guys who fit his profile so I'm trying to temper my expectations. If he actually is on the board at 12 I would be very tempted but he's not a very analytics friendly player so I don't know if our new front office would be.
In addition to the shooting concerns, my worry with Okoro is the relatively low steal rate for a guy whose main draw is perimeter defense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here’s hoping that McNair and his staff are great and who he and his staff pick with 12 and/or 35 turn out to be guys who become better than expected and turn into guys like Herro or Bam or other Porter Jr or anything similar to what the Heat, Denver or the Raptors have done instead of being more Kangz

In addition to the shooting concerns, my worry with Okoro is the relatively low steal rate for a guy whose main draw is perimeter defense.
Whilst that is true, Vassell also has the same issues. His steals/blocks per game are distinctly average for a guy whose calling card is defense. I fully understand that he's versatile as a defender however. I think Okoro will be fine, the main worry is his shooting.

Ryan McDonough @McDNBA
Several NBA teams with top 20 picks have concerns about the right foot of Vanderbilt sniper Aaron Nesmith. These teams are worried that Nesmith’s foot, which he injured in January, is slow to heal. Teams picking later in the 1st round are preparing in case Nesmith slides tonight.

Hopefully he slides out of first and we take a flier on him.

Ryan McDonough @McDNBA
Several NBA teams with top 20 picks have concerns about the right foot of Vanderbilt sniper Aaron Nesmith. These teams are worried that Nesmith’s foot, which he injured in January, is slow to heal. Teams picking later in the 1st round are preparing in case Nesmith slides tonight.

Hopefully he slides out of first and we take a flier on him.
There's no chance he slides out of the first round unfortunately. There are plenty of teams in the 20s that would take him if he even gets that far.

Whilst that is true, Vassell also has the same issues. His steals/blocks per game are distinctly average for a guy whose calling card is defense. I fully understand that he's versatile as a defender however. I think Okoro will be fine, the main worry is his shooting.
Vassell had steal rates of 2.8% and 2.9% his two years at Florida State which isn't great for a defense first guy, but part of that may have been their switch everything scheme which might have limited on ball steals. I don't know.

Vassell certainly passes the eye test as both an on-ball and team defender but his stats aren't in the same league as say, senior year Thybulle who manned the center of Washington's zone. So there is something to be said for not replying on stats solely.

But Okoro had a steal rate of only 1.7% and wasn't much of a contributor as a rebounder for a big bodied guard on an Auburn team without any dominant rebounders.

I really like Okoro but unless his shooting really improves I think he's a Justice Winslow like player. Not a bad roleplayer to have but not the star or major contributor you hope to draft in the top 10.

Not sure that's entirely true. If he had a consistent jumper, Okoro would be the easy #1 pick in the draft IMO. His defensive versatility is special (legit 1-4 defender) and he's still going to be a + on offense with his playmaking ability and how good he is at getting to the rim. I understand the MKG downside that some people think he has, but the jumper isn't nearly as broken and MKG never had the on-ball chops that Okoro does.

Vassell had steal rates of 2.8% and 2.9% his two years at Florida State which isn't great for a defense first guy, but part of that may have been their switch everything scheme which might have limited on ball steals. I don't know.

Vassell certainly passes the eye test as both an on-ball and team defender but his stats aren't in the same league as say, senior year Thybulle who manned the center of Washington's zone. So there is something to be said for not replying on stats solely.

But Okoro had a steal rate of only 1.7% and wasn't much of a contributor as a rebounder for a big bodied guard on an Auburn team without any dominant rebounders.

I really like Okoro but unless his shooting really improves I think he's a Justice Winslow like player. Not a bad roleplayer to have but not the star or major contributor you hope to draft in the top 10.
Pretty great comp here as an expected outcome. Ceiling somewhere in the Prime Iggy range.

Even if the ceiling outcome is a little murky, investing in the Okoro type of wing is so valuable in today's game. They are such a rarity in the first place and give your team so many options with different roster builds because of their versatility.

Last edited:

I don't disagree with that, I like him too but I don't see superstar potential. Which is why I think he's the most likely out of all the top guys to drop to our range. I'm not sure he does anything a whole lot better than Josh Green, for example (who I actually really like). They are similar players although Green is a better shooter.

Pretty great comp here as an expected outcome. Ceiling somewhere in the Prime Iggy range.
Iguodala is exactly who I think Okoro can be like, although he's not quite the playmaker or ball-handler that Iggy was. Jimmy Butler is a solid comparison too although that's a best case scenario.

Iguodala is exactly who I think Okoro can be like, although he's not quite the playmaker or ball-handler that Iggy was. Jimmy Butler is a solid comparison too although that's a best case scenario.
Yeah I believe in him quite a bit. The player archetype is so valuable, especially when your franchise is built around a guard who wants to push the ball up and down the floor. The shooting is a concern, but I can always find shooting on the cheap if you need it. I'm also a believer, especially in today's NBA where virtually every big man is learning how to shoot, that improving your jumper is entirely possible at the NBA level. The elite skills Okoro shows out (tremendous defensive versatility, wing creation, ability to get to the free throw line), are skills you pay a premium for in free agency or just don't ever find available because teams don't let those guys go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the steal rate is an indicator, but there are also players that cheat the passing lanes and as a result, get a good share of steals, but they're actually poor on the ball defenders. It's a shame they don't put steals in category's. On the ball steals and off the ball steals. Having watched Vassell and Okoro play multiple times, I can assure that both are terrific on the ball defenders, and both are very good help or team defenders. Both players get their steals poking the ball away while on the ball. I'll take those kind of defenders nine times out of ten than a player who gets his steal while cheating off his man.

You also have to relate it back to this particular draft and where the NBA is at in terms of trends. I think you take him and run. If he busts he busts. No matter who they select I doubt the franchise is hinging their hopes on him. Even if he can't learn to be a true wing in the modern NBA he could find a role as an athletic small ball 4 in a switch defense. Skilled, non great athlete 4's aren't great value and this bubble run only made that worse looking at the results. Versatility, athleticism and switchability on the wing is even more valuable now. The trade market for players like Robert Covington vs. superstars like Harden and Westbrook is very telling. VERY.

Hey if Okoro falls to us somehow I’m a happy camper. Vassell is more likely to be there at 12 and that’s good too.
Still if part of the idea is to get a defensive wing to help mask Buddy’s shortcomings, I’m thinking all these rookies will take more time than thats worth.

Versatility >>>> steals. The game is not allowing for much one on one defense and steals and ball hawking while still valuable aren't what they used to be.

Okoro is more athletic and not as skilled in playmaking as Winslow. W/O the back injuries clearly Vlade blew it taking Willie over him. He was starting to break out in Miami once he finally got to run the offense but that back man.

Hey if Okoro falls to us somehow I’m a happy camper. Vassell is more likely to be there at 12 and that’s good too.
Still if part of the idea is to get a defensive wing to help mask Buddy’s shortcomings, I’m thinking all these rookies will take more time than thats worth.
With the way the draft has formed I'd probably go Okoro, Bey, then Vassell if it were between them. In reality the Kings end up with Lewis or Terry. haha. Lewis or Terry could put up 20 a game, not here. Okoro, Bey, and Vassell could impact the game in a way that makes Fox and Bagley better. They just fit. Bey and Vassell are obviously easier fits but Okoro has the upside.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think we can all agree that Patrick Beverly is a very good defender, but he's averaged 1.2 steals per game for his entire career. Vassell averaged 1.4 last season. Okoro plays a more physical defense and many times he guarded the PF or center on the other team. Not making any excuses for him, and I have my reservations on how good he'll be. Tyler Bey averaged 1.5 steals last season. I think all three of these guys can defend. To me, that's not the issue. The issue is what else can they do, and how does it balance out overall?

Since Vassell and Tyler Bey both bring offense to the table along with their defense, then Okoro would have to be quite a bit better than them defensively to compensate for his poor shooting. I'm not sure he gets there in my mind. Especially when you compare rebounding numbers between Okoro (4.4) and Bey (9.0). I realize that Okoro played in a tougher conference (SEC), but the Pac 12 isn't chopped liver.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
With the way the draft has formed I'd probably go Okoro, Bey, then Vassell if it were between them. In reality the Kings end up with Lewis or Terry. haha. Lewis or Terry could put up 20 a game, not here. Okoro, Bey, and Vassell could impact the game in a way that makes Fox and Bagley better. They just fit. Bey and Vassell are obviously easier fits but Okoro has the upside.
As the great football coach Vince Lombardi once said, "Upside and potential mean you haven't done anything yet". Too many times upside is fools gold. How high is Okoro's upside? Is it that he'll eventually become as good an offensive player that Bey and Vassell already are? If your betting on Okoro because of his athleticism, then why not Vassell who is also a very good athlete, and who already can shoot the ball and handle the ball. Just playing Devils advocate......

I would have to go Okoro, Vassell, then Bey.
Bey currently appears the most complete player and has solid size... just feel the other two will have more impactful careers.

As the great football coach Vince Lombardi once said, "Upside and potential mean you haven't done anything yet". Too many times upside is fools gold. How high is Okoro's upside? Is it that he'll eventually become as good an offensive player that Bey and Vassell already are? If your betting on Okoro because of his athleticism, then why not Vassell who is also a very good athlete, and who already can shoot the ball and handle the ball. Just playing Devils advocate......
we were typing at the same time.... Sometimes I have to gamble on upside.
Not comparing players but Justin Jackson at 15, a player that showed a lot in college but I was convinced that was all he had. Several players in that draft have proved the gamble often pays.