Probable Lottery picks in the 2021 Draft:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Of course nobody does, but I know the Kings and.... I'll leave that there. haha. I also know right now players running pick and roll combined with those athletic skills and a set position are extremely valuable. Beal is a different story in some ways though. Extremely productive yet impact questions inherently exist but he still had a set position. And actually, I made off an hand joke about a shooter with some ball handling and PG skills that would be drafted by the Kings, which was and is something that Stauskas does have in common. LOL.

One thing about this board is people get waaaay too defensive about things and pick one word out of many to stick to when responding. You can critique players without "hating" them. I'd rather have a conversation about the negatives along with the positives and nobody needs to be white knighting college prospects for goodness sakes. They all have good things and bad about them just like any non-universal talent. And if they get drafted by the wrong team, into the wrong situation they could very well be DOA.
Actually, I think I do critique players without hating them, so I agree with you. But what I try to do is give a fair assessment without speaking in absolutes about a players future. I want to make it clear that it's just my opinion, and I've been wrong many times. So when I see someone flippantly compare Kispert to Stauskas, I have to step in and say something. If I were to make a comparison it would probably be J J Redick. Yes, Stauskas had a similar skill set to Kispert, but that's about where it ended. Nik's problem was between his ears. Which is a shame.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know who Cade is. I wanted Luka. I wanted Haliburton. Lack of elite athleticism doesn't scare me, if they offset it with timing, vision, IQ, and skill. I don't see that feel for Cade.

And remember, Bajaden and I were both beating Hali's drum last year. Sometimes I'm wrong about a player and sometimes I'm right. I'm not afraid to state my opinion. And mine of Cade is I wouldn't take him #1. I just don't see enough there to think he'll be a star.
I think Cunningham will be a far better player in the NBA than he was at Oklahoma St, simpley because of the way the NBA spreads the floor, and the fact that college doesn't have a 3 second defensive rule. They can't pack the lane in the NBA like they do in college, and if you take the time to notice that in almost every game Cunningham played in, the other team packed the lane. He was constantly doubled when he touched the ball, and that won't happen in the NBA either, when he has talented players to pass the ball to.

Who else on that Oklahoma St. team will even come close to being an NBA player? Take Cunningham off that team and they don't even make the tournament. Truth is, if Cunningham had a bad game, they lost! So I'm much higher on him than you are. Will he become a star? I think that's his floor. Will he become a superstar? Don't know! I didn't think Doncic would be a superstar, but I did think he would be a star.

Three changes I wish they would make in college rules. 1. Put in a 3 second defensive rule. They already have a 3 second offensive rule, so why not complete the circle. Plus it would open up the game more, and you could truly evaluate how good some of the centers are instead of them just growing roots under the basket. 2. make it 6 fouls to foul out of a game just like the NBA instead of 5. If a top player get two quick fouls on him early in the first half, he likely sits out the entire half. Fans come to see the player play, not sit on the bench, plus it hurts his development. 3. Move the three point circle all the way out to the NBA limits. What was the point of stopping just a few inches short of it.

Actually, I think I do critique players without hating them, so I agree with you. But what I try to do is give a fair assessment without speaking in absolutes about a players future. I want to make it clear that it's just my opinion, and I've been wrong many times. So when I see someone flippantly compare Kispert to Stauskas, I have to step in and say something. If I were to make a comparison it would probably be J J Redick. Yes, Stauskas had a similar skill set to Kispert, but that's about where it ended. Nik's problem was between his ears. Which is a shame.
IT WAS A JOKE and was meant to be somewhat flippant. ;) haha. From now on, when you read my posts please take it with less gravity. If I seriously don't like a player or prospect or anything it will likely be pretty clear (cough, cough, Luke Walton as head coach of the Kings, cough). I do like Kispert for many of the same reasons you do. The players who I said reminded me of him were listed before and IMO it's far from an insult.

Just to make sure we’re talking about the same player here, you do know Cade is the guy in #2 for Oklahoma State, right?

while I am incredibly high on Tyrese’s prospects as an NBA player, Cade is probably the best wing defender of any premier draft prospect coming into the league since at least Ben Simmons, and with the way NCAA basketball is, big attacking ball handlers like Cade are generally going to end up looking less effective than they actually are. When the lanes open up like they do in the modern NBA, he’s going to absolutely feast.

people point to his low assist numbers on Oklahoma State but, with respect to his teammates, who the hell was he supposed to pass to?

Remember the debate about Luka not being a good enough athlete to take off in the league? Well, you’re doing that but with a guy who is far more athletic than Luka was and is.
Cade got a bit exposed in the tournament and he's got nowhere near the footspeed of Simmons and doesn't have the ability to get into the lane area like a Harden or Luka. You can watch Cade get taken off the dribble fairly often on defense. He is a smart defender who uses his positioning well as you've brought up before but he's not defending PG's at the NBA level. Switching might be a bit of an issue in fact. Right now the thing that Cade can hang his hat on his his pull up jumper. His driving game relies heavily on pushing his man into the painted area and again, my concerns is what that would look like in the NBA and what position he does it from. Offensively he's a lot more like a better shooting and creative Kyle Anderson which on the right squad is going to be good but there are definite questions about him being a franchise guy. I do think the spacing will help him at the next level so we have to see the transition.

Last edited:
Cade got a bit exposed in the tournament and he's got nowhere near the footspeed of Simmons and doesn't have the ability to get into the lane area like a Harden or Luka. You can watch Cade get taken off the dribble fairly often on defense. He is a smart defender who uses his positioning well as you've brought up before but he's not defending PG's at the NBA level. Switching might be a bit of an issue in fact. Right now the thing that Cade can hang his hat on his his pull up jumper. His driving game relies heavily on pushing his man into the painted area and again, my concerns is what that would look like in the NBA and what position he does it from. Offensively he's a lot more like a better shooting and creative Kyle Anderson which on the right squad is going to be good but there are definite questions about him being a franchise guy. I do think the spacing will help him at the next level so we have to see the transition.
Kind of sounds like CoJo ;)

My bruins, if their bigs had not gotten injured, could beat Gonzaga in the tourney. Gonzaga’s bigs are robots, they have Suggs, a nice wing, and Kispert’s shooting. But what has allowed them to win is their pressing. In the WCC they’ve destroyed teams during the first game, but in the second match up, the games are much closer, bcz they’re ready for Ginzaga’s press. In the tourney, they come across a team with athletes, it’ll be a lay up line until Gonzaga changes its scheme.

I think Illiniois n Rutgers could beat them, for example.

As for Kispert, Tetsujin, I know he scored 25. Looking at him more in terms of how he’ll translate. I wouldn’t consider him till the mid 20s. Not a lotto. Suggs is a bigger George Hill. Late lotto.
Not a bad post but Timmert isn’t a robot. Dude has some of the best footwork I have seen in a long time.

Not a bad post but Timmert isn’t a robot. Dude has some of the best footwork I have seen in a long time.
Yea, he’s better than I initially thought. Likely headed for Europe though. Kinda like a 6’8 version of Brad Miller.
That Gonzaga team is efficient on both sides, but I have always felt they’re overrated. Benefitting from poor college hoops quality more so than that team being an all timer. The Russ/KLove teams would’ve destroyed this Gonzaga team. The same for that DRose lead Memphis team or that Mike Bibby lead AZ team.

As for the players, Suggs is the only player worthy of a lotto pick. Kispert is in the 20s for me, Timeh and the UCLA duo are seconds. Though in terms of upside, it’s Suggs > Juzang > Jacquez > Kispert > Timmeh. Kispert gets a late first rating, because of the premium placed on shooting.

Yea, he’s better than I initially thought. Likely headed for Europe though. Kinda like a 6’8 version of Brad Miller.
That Gonzaga team is efficient on both sides, but I have always felt they’re overrated. Benefitting from poor college hoops quality more so than that team being an all timer. The Russ/KLove teams would’ve destroyed this Gonzaga team. The same for that DRose lead Memphis team or that Mike Bibby lead AZ team.

As for the players, Suggs is the only player worthy of a lotto pick. Kispert is in the 20s for me, Timeh and the UCLA duo are seconds. Though in terms of upside, it’s Suggs > Juzang > Jacquez > Kispert > Timmeh. Kispert gets a late first rating, because of the premium placed on shooting.
I think he depends on how he measures in the combine.

why is jared butler outside of lottery? i watched only final game highlights, didn't do any research about him, but it seems like he personally destroyed gonzaga.

what are his flaws?

why is jared butler outside of lottery? i watched only final game highlights, didn't do any research about him, but it seems like he personally destroyed gonzaga.

what are his flaws?
Only obvious knocks are he’s averaged sized for the 2 spot and isn’t an athletic anomaly. Otherwise, I agree, dude was the third best prospect on the court behind Suggs and Mitchell. And the gap between him and the first two is closer than the gap between him and Kispert.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Only obvious knocks are he’s averaged sized for the 2 spot and isn’t an athletic anomaly. Otherwise, I agree, dude was the third best prospect on the court behind Suggs and Mitchell. And the gap between him and the first two is closer than the gap between him and Kispert.
Yeah, I agree on Butler. If the dude was two inches taller I'd be more excited, but having said that, there are other players in the NBA his height that are very good players. Mitchell is a tad undersized as well, but what a great defender he is. Kispert picked the wrong time of the year to lose his shot. Did he just happen to hit a bad stretch, or did the pressure get to him. Don't know! I still like him overall, but have to consider everything. The player that would help the Kings the most is probably Mobley, especially after he adds about 20 pounds of muscle.

Unfortunately the only way the Kings get a shot at him is if they get lucky in the lottery, or they trade up somehow. But the Kings need some talented height and length in the post. As much as I like Holmes, he's gets eaten alive by some of the bigger centers in the league, and if you take a good look, almost every team in the league that's a contender, has a big man on their roster that can defend the post, rebound and score around the basket. We don't!

This draft is loaded with talented guards, the one thing the Kings seem to have plenty of. We get killed on the boards almost every night. I hate to look up the offensive rebound disparity after a game. Some of it is due to lack of effort, but mostly it's lack of size. That has to be addressed in the offseason. After Mobley, the next quality big man is Kai Jones, and he's going to need some time, a word Kings fan's aren't fond of. I have no idea how the front office looks at Harkless. Short term or long term? But we definitely need some size at the SF position.

Mostly, this teams needs a good coach. I love the way the local media gives Walton credit when the team goes on a winning streak, but blames the players when they go on a losing steak. Coaching matters. Look at what UCLA did this season with a new coach and, as it turned out, one major addition to their roster in Johnny Juzang. Is Juzang really that good? Don't know, but he certainly made a strong case. Point is, coaching matters, and Walton isn't a good coach.

If I wanted to shake up the lineup, and help in the rebounding dept, then I would have moved Barnes back to SF and put Metu in a PF along side Holmes. No, it's not ideal, but Metu has shown the ability to work in the P&R, grab boards, block some shots, and shoot from 18 feet. At least we would have some size in the starting lineup.

Yeah, I agree on Butler. If the dude was two inches taller I'd be more excited, but having said that, there are other players in the NBA his height that are very good players. Mitchell is a tad undersized as well, but what a great defender he is. Kispert picked the wrong time of the year to lose his shot. Did he just happen to hit a bad stretch, or did the pressure get to him. Don't know! I still like him overall, but have to consider everything. The player that would help the Kings the most is probably Mobley, especially after he adds about 20 pounds of muscle.

Unfortunately the only way the Kings get a shot at him is if they get lucky in the lottery, or they trade up somehow. But the Kings need some talented height and length in the post. As much as I like Holmes, he's gets eaten alive by some of the bigger centers in the league, and if you take a good look, almost every team in the league that's a contender, has a big man on their roster that can defend the post, rebound and score around the basket. We don't!

This draft is loaded with talented guards, the one thing the Kings seem to have plenty of. We get killed on the boards almost every night. I hate to look up the offensive rebound disparity after a game. Some of it is due to lack of effort, but mostly it's lack of size. That has to be addressed in the offseason. After Mobley, the next quality big man is Kai Jones, and he's going to need some time, a word Kings fan's aren't fond of. I have no idea how the front office looks at Harkless. Short term or long term? But we definitely need some size at the SF position.

Mostly, this teams needs a good coach. I love the way the local media gives Walton credit when the team goes on a winning streak, but blames the players when they go on a losing steak. Coaching matters. Look at what UCLA did this season with a new coach and, as it turned out, one major addition to their roster in Johnny Juzang. Is Juzang really that good? Don't know, but he certainly made a strong case. Point is, coaching matters, and Walton isn't a good coach.

If I wanted to shake up the lineup, and help in the rebounding dept, then I would have moved Barnes back to SF and put Metu in a PF along side Holmes. No, it's not ideal, but Metu has shown the ability to work in the P&R, grab boards, block some shots, and shoot from 18 feet. At least we would have some size in the starting lineup.
I would take Butler in the mid teens in a heartbeat. As for Kispert, his display in the tourney was what I assumed he would be. I just don’t see a lotto pick. Jason Kapono, McDermott, maybe Korver like career.

Holmes should be a bench energy big. I love his energy, but he’s not a shot alterer on defense, so you really need premium defenders at the other 4 spots to win with him. On offense, he has that push shot n can rim run, but nothing else. Is still a poor facilitator and can’t shoot a jumper to save his life—teams are cramming that push shot area and forcing him to shoot, drive, or pass. He hasn’t been able to beat that scouting report and likely never will.

I would take Butler in the mid teens in a heartbeat. As for Kispert, his display in the tourney was what I assumed he would be. I just don’t see a lotto pick. Jason Kapono, McDermott, maybe Korver like career.

Holmes should be a bench energy big. I love his energy, but he’s not a shot alterer on defense, so you really need premium defenders at the other 4 spots to win with him. On offense, he has that push shot n can rim run, but nothing else. Is still a poor facilitator and can’t shoot a jumper to save his life—teams are cramming that push shot area and forcing him to shoot, drive, or pass. He hasn’t been able to beat that scouting report and likely never will.
I've got the same opinion as you on Kispert.

It's up to Luke to make adjustment when teams take away that push shot. Holmes has about a 12ft bubble where he is as efficient as any player in the game and he also has a really nice euro step. Not to mention you never really see him do anything dumb like you see with other centers. He is as mistake free as a player gets on offense. If teams take away that push shot of his, then that opens up other opportunities but how often do we see Luke make adjustments at halftime? I feel like I can count on less than 3 fingers the amount of games where I've seen a noticeable difference after halftime adjustments were made. Teams do it to the Kings on a consistent basis but it's almost never the other way around.

Man I'm totally on the Davion Mitchell bandwagon.

Elite first step, seems unafraid of the moment, tough as nails, nice moves to create separation, solid shot, seems to be able to make decent passes too.

Man, I'm going to have to watch other prospects but the bar is pretty high here.

A fox, Mitchell, haliburton combo would be amazing

I've got the same opinion as you on Kispert.

It's up to Luke to make adjustment when teams take away that push shot. Holmes has about a 12ft bubble where he is as efficient as any player in the game and he also has a really nice euro step. Not to mention you never really see him do anything dumb like you see with other centers. He is as mistake free as a player gets on offense. If teams take away that push shot of his, then that opens up other opportunities but how often do we see Luke make adjustments at halftime? I feel like I can count on less than 3 fingers the amount of games where I've seen a noticeable difference after halftime adjustments were made. Teams do it to the Kings on a consistent basis but it's almost never the other way around.
The NBA is a players league. Have wold class players, but poor coaching, the team wins. Have great coaching, but poor players, the team loses. Kerr hasn’t become a worse coach. Kerr’s players are worse.

The Kings are losing, because:

1. The team doesn’t have a true star player. Maybe Fox or Hali can become that star someday.
2. Lack efficiency.
3. Has bench players starting in the 2, 4, and 5 spots.
4. Play no defense at all.

The NBA is a players league. Have wold class players, but poor coaching, the team wins. Have great coaching, but poor players, the team loses. Kerr hasn’t become a worse coach. Kerr’s players are worse.

The Kings are losing, because:

1. The team doesn’t have a true star player. Maybe Fox or Hali can become that star someday.
2. Lack efficiency.
3. Has bench players starting in the 2, 4, and 5 spots.
4. Play no defense at all.
Atlanta Hawks. Lloyd Pierce went 14-20, was fired and McMillan came is and is 14-5 with the same squad. I don't think the Kings would have the same turnaround with McMillan as coach but lets not act like the coach has nothing to do with winning. Especially when you have a bad coach, which is what we have.

Atlanta Hawks. Lloyd Pierce went 14-20, was fired and McMillan came is and is 14-5 with the same squad. I don't think the Kings would have the same turnaround with McMillan as coach but lets not act like the coach has nothing to do with winning. Especially when you have a bad coach, which is what we have.
Motivation is underrated in the NBA. Ryan Saunders had the same effect in a part-time role. He didn't last more than year after getting the full time gig.

Now, I'm not saying coaching is irrelevant. It's just that at the NBA level, the impact is just not the same. Coaching, for example, is much more of a factor in college. Ben Howland is 10x the hoops coach that Walton is, but Howland wouldn't last half a year in the pros. Dude would get PJ Carlisimo'd within 6 months.

Weren't Gallo and Bogi out for long stretches during the 14-20 Lloyd run?

We talk about needing defense on this team which of course we do but we also need another scorer on this squad. We need someone other than Fox that can stop the bleeding when we get in a rut or help put a team away when we have the lead. I have no doubt Haliburton will get better in this department but it really isn’t natural for him. Wagner is still on my wishlist but he won’t help in this department because he is too passive on O. Moody could be a consideration.

I see Giddey has made some noise up to a possible lotto pick. It was bound to happen. What an interesting prospect. If the Kings stay back past that top 6 he's the guy. The full on PG team might actually work considering the size of all three of Fox, Haliburton, and Giddey. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Giddey goes really, really high on draft night based on his athletic ability.

Here are the players that I would draft as of today:

Lotto picks: Mobley > Barnes > Cunningham > Suggs > Mitchell. I don't think Mobley is a generational prospect, but do think he's the safest, high floor, high upside bet in this draft. Cunningham is smooth, but I don't see a generational star. Suggs, if he was coming out, would rank him behind Fox, Westbrook, and Baron Davis as prospects. A tad below Morant (I think Fox was and is the better prospect/player). On par with Jrue Holiday and Lonzo Ball (diff types of players, I know). Mitchell is a more twitchy, Pat Beverley. I'll take that any day.

First rounders: Donsumu or Butler. I really love Donsumu. He's about 6'6, a two way player, who would fit in nicely with Fox and Haliburton. Only thing missing from his game is a consistent jumper. Butler is smooth. A bit undersized as a 6'3 combo guard, but dude reminds me of Brandon Roy. I'll take that any day as well.

Second rounders: Juzang > Jacquez > Kispert > Wagner > Herb Jones > Ron Harper Jr > Kofi Cofburn. Will likely get some heat for putting Wanger and Kispert in this tier. But I gotta trust my eyes. In this group, the player who I'd want the most on the Kings is Jones--think Matisse Thybulle with an even worse shot. Better driver though. Harper Jr. is Bonzi Wells/Ron Artest/Cory Maggette. Needs refinement. Cofburn is a beast, who was born too late. Juzang and Jacquez should return to school (selfishly), because both need to iron out their games. Can be first rounders with some refinement.

Have not watched Jalen Johnson, Kuminga, or Green. So leaving them out for now.

Last edited:

Lotto picks: Mobley > Barnes > Cunningham > Suggs > Mitchell. I don't think Mobley is a generational prospect, but do think he's the safest, high floor, high upside bet in this draft. Cunningham is smooth, but I don't see a generational star. Suggs, if he was coming out, would rank him behind Fox, Westbrook, and Baron Davis as prospects. A tad below Morant (I think Fox was and is the better prospect/player). On par with Jrue Holiday and Lonzo Ball (diff types of players, I know). Mitchell is a more twitchy, Pat Beverley. I'll take that any day.

First rounders: Donsumu or Butler. I really love Donsumu. He's about 6'6, a two way player, who would fit in nicely with Fox and Haliburton. Only thing missing from his game is a consistent jumper. Butler is smooth. A bit undersized as a 6'3 combo guard, but dude reminds me of Brandon Roy. I'll take that any day as well.

Second rounders: Juzang > Jacquez > Kispert > Wagner > Herb Jones > Ron Harper Jr > Kofi Cofburn. Will likely get some heat for putting Wanger and Kispert in this tier. But I gotta trust my eyes. In this group, the player who I'd want the most on the Kings is Jones--think Matisse Thybulle with an even worse shot. Better driver though. Harper Jr. is Bonzi Wells/Ron Artest/Cory Maggette. Needs refinement. Cofburn is a beast, who was born too late. Juzang and Jacquez should return to school (selfishly), because both need to iron out their games. Can be first rounders with some refinement.

I'd be totally happy with a Mitchell & Herb Jones draft. Kings perimeter defense would jump two fold and both are quick twitch players, who would drive and create havoc when they're on the court. Biggest downside offensively is the Kings would need to surround them with decent shooters.

yeah I think you are way wrong on Wagner. All his advanced stats are very good and move him to the 3/4, I think he excels.

in the 6-9 range where the Kings are most likely draft I’m looking at Wagner or Giddey. From the mocks I’ve seen Donsumu could be there in the 2nd round.