Probable Lottery picks in the 2021 Draft:

I would probably actually prefer Suggs more than Green at this point. Suggs has at least shown some ability to play off the ball whereas that remains a big hurdle for Green to clear. The smart choice would be to trade down a bit to the 7/8/9/10 range and nab one of Barnes/Ziaire (still possibly my favorite prospect in the class)/Johnson or, assuming that we wound up with an additional pick in the 2021 draft from a trade down or a vet trade at the trade deadline, just take BPA there and nab a BJ Boston (at his point so thoroughly trashed by sports media that he could somehow still be available at the end of the first round) or Josh Giddey.
Suggs would totally die on the vine in Sac with this team. Ziaire looks like a SG to me and truthfully I'm not super impressed with what I've seen anyway. I can't get behind having a 1-3 with the similar physical body type that you'd have with Fox, Haliburton, and Williams.

This is a year for the Kings to have some lottery luck. Cunningham, Kuminga, or Mobley would all fill a major need for this team.

Mobley in terms of a defensive anchor who protects the rim but is also surprisingly effective when switched on to perimeter players as well. He also shows the kind of offensive versatility you want in a modern NBA big.

Cunningham has elite advanced stats both in isolation and in the pick and roll, is a good defender and is shooting it really well from outside. He'll be even better in the NBA with more spacing, better shooters around him and not being the only focus of the defense.

Kuminga needs to improve his outside shot but he's exactly the type of physical two way force that the Kings need on the wing.

There are a number of other guys in this draft that could be big time NBA players but have a major hole in their game (shooting, size/strength etc). But one of these three guys, who I think will go 1-3 in the draft, are who I hope the Kings end up with.

This is a year for the Kings to have some lottery luck. Cunningham, Kuminga, or Mobley would all fill a major need for this team.

Mobley in terms of a defensive anchor who protects the rim but is also surprisingly effective when switched on to perimeter players as well. He also shows the kind of offensive versatility you want in a modern NBA big.

Cunningham has elite advanced stats both in isolation and in the pick and roll, is a good defender and is shooting it really well from outside. He'll be even better in the NBA with more spacing, better shooters around him and not being the only focus of the defense.

Kuminga needs to improve his outside shot but he's exactly the type of physical two way force that the Kings need on the wing.

There are a number of other guys in this draft that could be big time NBA players but have a major hole in their game (shooting, size/strength etc). But one of these three guys, who I think will go 1-3 in the draft, are who I hope the Kings end up with.
These three are at the top of my wish list as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
These three are at the top of my wish list as well.
I'm becoming more and more impressed with Green as well. He reminds me of a young Kobe. Not worried about his outside shot. He takes a lot of highly contested shots at times, and I think he's still shooting 36 or 37 percent from the three. I have Suggs at five, but only because we don't need another PG. But remember, like Haliburton, he's 6'5" and can play off the ball as well as on. I still like Jalen Johnson and I don't get caught up in this quitting on his team nonsense. He's a 19 year old kid whose looking to his future. As for the changing high schools stuff, all these kids switch high schools looking for the right program. Zion Williamson switched high schools. It's not a big deal..

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm becoming more and more impressed with Green as well. He reminds me of a young Kobe. Not worried about his outside shot. He takes a lot of highly contested shots at times, and I think he's still shooting 36 or 37 percent from the three.
I'm seeing the same thing here. He's a serious alpha dog. Looking like the level of player that you draft regardless of your traffic jam at guard if you have the chance.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Green as well. He reminds me of a young Kobe. Not worried about his outside shot. He takes a lot of highly contested shots at times, and I think he's still shooting 36 or 37 percent from the three. I have Suggs at five, but only because we don't need another PG. But remember, like Haliburton, he's 6'5" and can play off the ball as well as on. I still like Jalen Johnson and I don't get caught up in this quitting on his team nonsense. He's a 19 year old kid whose looking to his future. As for the changing high schools stuff, all these kids switch high schools looking for the right program. Zion Williamson switched high schools. It's not a big deal..
Green looked really good in the Ignite's last game. He is a smooth athlete that almost seems like he is flying rather than jumping through the air. I currently have him 4th as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Moses Moody: 6'6", 185 Lb's, 7'0" wingspan, Freshman, Arkansas.
31.0 mpg - 16.9 ppg - 44.0% fgp - 37.1% 3pp - 82.4% ftp - 5.6 rpg - 1.5 apg - 1.0 steals.

Moody is a very good outside shooter with good form. He has great size and length for a SG, and is capable of guarding multiple positions. He's an unselfish player who moves the ball and he comes with handles that are almost good enough to play the lead guard position. He needs to get a bit stronger, but has a wide frame and can easily add another 15 or so pounds. He's also a good rebounder. He's a good athlete but not an elite athlete. I have him going at the bottom of the lottery somewhere between 10 and 14.

Of course that can change once he get into the interviews and workouts. I love his length and that he plays both ends of the floor. He could be a nice addition if we end up trading Buddy, and our pick falls in that area. Hopefully it will be higher, but gotta have the options open.

I like the look of him as a prospect more than Kuminga. The athletic ability is tremendous.
They are different types of athletes. Kuminga is built more like a linebacker, but still moves really well with great hops. He is also a verygood defender. He needs to work on his 3pt shot, but has a good mid-range & post game. He also has terrific court vision making passes most won't even see. Both are outstanding in the open court. Green is a more dynamic leaper who is very smooth. He is also a better outside shooter. He is a decent passer, but more creative when looking for his own shot.

With building any team around Fox, you need shooting around him. Most of the top guys in this years’ draft struggle with it. Now that we’ve actually committed to Fox as a franchise player with a 5yr deal, do we consider draft fit? Also, can the Kings afford to sit around and try to develop raw talents?

Next season, it’ll be his 5th season and he’ll only be 24. However, how many more losing/development seasons can we have with him?

I see some parallels with the Cousins’ tenure right now. Cousins’ 5th season was the season where Malone got fired(it could possibly be Fox’s 3rd coach in 5 years after this season). It’s also the year Cousins made his first All-Star appearance. Despite career highs across the board, people were already talking about how he’s not a winning player and that we need to move on from him. Fox isn’t as good as Cousins was, but I think it’s fair to start considering Fox’s projectory and long-term development with this team.

This draft has a lot of high ceiling players, but most of them are going to take at least 2 years of developing before they can positively contribute to a winning team(opposite of Halliburton and more like Bagley’s development).

Do we take BPA? I don’t like the fit of Scottie Barnes next to Fox and Halliburton.
Here's my devils advocate on Barnes.

Most of the players you posted in the top 15 don't look to be strong shooters yet. Barnes looks to be about the worst when combining his 3pt and FT percentages. Ok so there is a possibility that there's decent odds that the Kings will wind up with a poor shooter. So if they wind up with a guy who shoots 33% from 3 and is just okay at everything else....is that as bad as Barnes shooting sub 30% from 3 but possibly being a Haliburton type without a shot yet? If a guy shoots 33% from 3 and isn't a stand out anywhere else, he's not going to see the floor much but if a poor shooter can run the offense, drive in the lane, get to the line and guard multiple positions, he has a good amount of value.

Barnes' ball handling and body control are already elite for a player his size. He can do things with the basketball that 99% of players his size can't do. We all know shooting is one of the easier things for a player to develop but his numbers really stick out as a long shot as far as development goes. It's a tough one.

I think the problem with the current team is that the foundation isn't talented enough. I don't think adding players that fit really means anything unless they are as talented as Fox/Hali. Adding Covington would be a perfect fit but would that be enough talent to get them into the playoffs? I don't think so, so I wouldn't draft a Covington type player unless that was the BPA at the time. Haliburton has been a perfect example of fit and talent and it would be nice to find that again, but if it's not available I'm shooting for talent above all else.

I watched Suggs and Kispert go against my SCU Broncos tonight. I still think both are overrated. That Zags team is overrated in general. They're going to have problems when they meet a team with the athletes to punish them when they press. It'll be a lay up line all game long.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I watched Suggs and Kispert go against my SCU Broncos tonight. I still think both are overrated. That Zags team is overrated in general. They're going to have problems when they meet a team with the athletes to punish them when they press. It'll be a lay up line all game long.
Amigo, you seem to think everyone is overrated. That Zag's team is undefeated and it has played some tough teams. They will win the NCAA tournament because they're extremely well coached, and they run an NBA set. It's not easy to get up for every game, especially against inferior teams, like your Bronco's. Sorry! Kispert did score 25 pt's on 10 of 17 shooting and he went 3 of 8 from the three along with 7 rebounds. Sugg's on the other hand didn't shoot the ball particularly well scoring 13 pt's on 4 of 10 shooting, but he added 11 rebounds and 8 assists along with 2 steals

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kispert went for 25 points.

Amigo, you seem to think everyone is overrated. That Zag's team is undefeated and it has played some tough teams. They will win the NCAA tournament because they're extremely well coached, and they run an NBA set. It's not easy to get up for every game, especially against inferior teams, like your Bronco's. Sorry! Kispert did score 25 pt's on 10 of 17 shooting and he went 3 of 8 from the three along with 7 rebounds. Sugg's on the other hand didn't shoot the ball particularly well scoring 13 pt's on 4 of 10 shooting, but he added 11 rebounds and 8 assists along with 2 steals
My bruins, if their bigs had not gotten injured, could beat Gonzaga in the tourney. Gonzaga’s bigs are robots, they have Suggs, a nice wing, and Kispert’s shooting. But what has allowed them to win is their pressing. In the WCC they’ve destroyed teams during the first game, but in the second match up, the games are much closer, bcz they’re ready for Ginzaga’s press. In the tourney, they come across a team with athletes, it’ll be a lay up line until Gonzaga changes its scheme.

I think Illiniois n Rutgers could beat them, for example.

As for Kispert, Tetsujin, I know he scored 25. Looking at him more in terms of how he’ll translate. I wouldn’t consider him till the mid 20s. Not a lotto. Suggs is a bigger George Hill. Late lotto.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I've seen enough:

Isaiah Todd is (at worst) the second-best big man in this draft. Almost nobody has him on their draft board, which is absolutely a criminal offense. Folks, we are looking at the return of Chris Bosh here. Todd can play in the post, he can shoot the jumper all the way out to the three with a PURE stroke, his turnaround J is killer, and he's got great ball instincts and perfect size and athleticism for today's NBA. He should be a top-10 pick. If we can trade a veteran to get a late pick and grab him in the 20s we will be ON THE WAY. I LOVE this kid. I mean, you take Mobley above him, but I'd give Todd about a 35% chance of ending up the better player. That's how good he is. The mock drafts who don't have him in the lottery are morons (so all of them). I have spoken.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've seen enough:

Isaiah Todd is (at worst) the second-best big man in this draft. Almost nobody has him on their draft board, which is absolutely a criminal offense. Folks, we are looking at the return of Chris Bosh here. Todd can play in the post, he can shoot the jumper all the way out to the three with a PURE stroke, his turnaround J is killer, and he's got great ball instincts and perfect size and athleticism for today's NBA. He should be a top-10 pick. If we can trade a veteran to get a late pick and grab him in the 20s we will be ON THE WAY. I LOVE this kid. I mean, you take Mobley above him, but I'd give Todd about a 35% chance of ending up the better player. That's how good he is. The mock drafts who don't have him in the lottery are morons (so all of them). I have spoken.
It's funny because at one time Todd was considered one of the top high school prospects, and then he suddenly fell off the map, and even more so when he decided to opt for the G-League instead of college. There are some mocks that have him going in the 2nd round, which is nonsense and won't happen. I think he'll end up going somewhere between 16 and 24, and would love to have a 2nd first rd pick and grab him. His turn around reminds me of the great Bob Pettit. I think I just dated myself..

I've seen enough:

I like his size, athleticism & skill set. The biggest knock on him is he has a tendency to be a black hole on offense.

Cade Cunningham just showed why he's the #1 pick. He dropped 40 & 11 and just willed Oklahoma State to a win over a very good Oklahoma team.

Sure, 1 assist and 6 turnovers isn't ideal, but the big takeaway is that beyond the great skillset, Cunningham is a winning player that elevates his game (and his team) in crunch time.

I'm really rooting for the Kings to have some lottery luck this year.

I don't know anything about Todd other than the stats show he can shoot but do little else. None of the mocks I've seen have him going in the first round. He may still be there when the Kings select in the 2nd.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know anything about Todd other than the stats show he can shoot but do little else. None of the mocks I've seen have him going in the first round. He may still be there when the Kings select in the 2nd.
I'm certainly not here to toot Todd's horn, but you know that stats don't show everything a player is capable of. His first game didn't blow anyone away, but he's been improving every game. To my mind, he's a little behind the curve, but I do see a lot of potential there, especially if he falls into the 2nd rd. On another note, I agree that Cunningham just proved why he's going to be the 1st pick in the draft. His all around skill set is simply above everyone else's.

Green and Kuminga may have higher ceilings, but right now, Cunningham is the better player. I'm still very high on Mobley as well. I almost wish he had opted for the G-League, where they would have given him better opportunities to showcase his talent. Right now, my top 14 lottery picks, and these will likely change by seasons end, are.

1. Cade Cunningham - PG/SG/SF - 6'8" - 213 Lb's - 6'11.5" wingspan - Freshman - Oklahoma St.
2. Jonathan Kuminga - SF/PF - 6'8" - 220 Lb's - 7'2" wingspan - G-League Ignite
3. Jalen Green - SG - 6'6" - 180 Lb's - 6'7.5" wingspan - G-League Ignite
4. Evan Mobley - Center - 7'0" - 215 Lb's - ? wingspan - Freshman - USC
5. Jalen Suggs - PG/SG - 6'4" - 198 Lb's - 6'5" wingspan - Freshman - Gonzaga
6. Jaden Springer - SG - 6'4" - 204 Lb's - ? wingspan - Freshman - Tennessee
7. Moses Moody - SG - 6'6" - 185 Lb's - 7'0" wingspan - Freshman - Arkansas
8. Scottie Barnes - SF/PF - 6'8" - 227 Lb's - 7'2" wingspan - Freshman - Florida St.
9. Ayo Dosunmu - PG/SG - 6'5" - 175 Lb's - 6'6" wingspan - Junior - Illinois
10. Jalen Johnson - SF/PF - 6'9" - 220 Lb's - 6'10.5" wingspan - Freshman - Duke
11. Ziare Williams - SF - 6'8" - 185 Lb's - 6'10.5" wingspan - Freshman - Stanford
12. Corey Kispert - SF - 6'7" -220 Lb's - ? wingspan - Senior - Gonzaga
13. Kai Jones - Center/PF - 7'0" - 218 Lb's - ? wingspan - Sophomore - Texas
14. James Bouknight - SG - 6'4" - 174 Lb's - ? wingspan - Sophomore - UCONN

If Keyontae Johnson hadn't collapsed and missed so many games, he likely would have been a lottery pick, and who knows, some team might take a flyer on him anyway. He's a very talented player.. Some other random players that I really like, and with no regard to where they might be drafted are: Jovante Smart a 6'4" SG for LSU who is putting up great numbers and shooting 46.3% from the three while taking over 4 a game. Not an aberration either since he shot over 40% his previous two years. I like Jay Huff the 7'1", 240 Lb Virginia center in the 2nd rd. He's shooting 41.5% from the three while taking over 2 a game and also blocking 2.5 shots a game.

I have to give a mention to Franz Wagner, the 6'7", 220 Lb SF from Michigan, along with his running mate Isaiah Livers, another 6'7", 230 Lb SF/PF. Both are having great years, and if any team is going to beat Gonzaga in the tournament, it's likely to be Michigan. They match up well and have a lot of firepower like Gonzaga. However, I'm still putting my money on Gonzaga.

I have to say, even if the Kings are lucky enough to land in the top 5, I’ll still be nervous about the pick.

1) Cade- he is the only player in the draft that pushes us into the playoffs next year

2) Kuminga is next for me but he is a project. He can’t shoot. He has defensive potential and positional versatility that makes him enticing. Decent passer and has a physical offensive game that would be great for the kings.

3) Mobley- he could end up being a defensive stud who can switch on the perimeter. He is a smart young man, won some chess tournaments as a kid.

4) Jalen Suggs- can we take Jalen? Yeh BPA and all that but how do you make it work? Sure he can come off the bench for two years but then what? Maybe he is better than Fox or Haliburton but now you have to trade one of those guys for picks. You are then back drafting and developing for two more years down the road. Don’t love this option

5) ditto Green

6-7 are likely to be Barnes and Johnson. Jalen is more polished and can shoot, you are betting on long term potential with Scottie. I should note, lots of mocks have Johnson falling to late lottery all the way to the mid twenties.

If we fall below 6/7 we are in shooting guard’s R Us territory along with a high floor low ceiling guy and the big wild card for me Franz Wagner.

huge huge decision coming up unless we land 1/2

Last edited:
I have to say, even if the Kings are lucky enough to land in the top 5, I’ll still be nervous about the pick.

1) Cade- he is the only player in the draft that pushes us into the playoffs next year

2) Kuminga is next for me but he is a project. He can’t shoot. He has defensive potential and positional versatility that makes him enticing. Decent passer and has a physical offensive game that would be great for the kings.

3) Mobley- he could end up being a defensive stud who can switch on the perimeter. He is a smart young man, won some chess tournaments as a kid.

4) Jalen Suggs- can we take Jalen? Yeh BPA and all that but how do you make it work? Sure he can come off the bench for two years but then what? Maybe he is better than Fox or Haliburton but now you have to trade one of those guys for picks. You are then back drafting and developing for two more years down the road. Don’t love this option

5) ditto Green

6-7 are likely to be Barnes and Johnson. Jalen is more polished and can shoot, you are betting on long term potential with Scottie. I should note, lots of mocks have Johnson falling to late lottery all the way to the mid twenties.

If we fall below 6/7 we are in shooting guard’s R Us territory along with a high floor low ceiling guy and the big wild card for me Franz Wagner.

I like Kuminga but I would take Mobley #2. It isn't just that he has the fluid hips and enough lateral quickness to switch on the perimeter and the length and timing to protect the rim - he has amazing feel for the game which is rare for a young big.

He's rarely out of position and makes the right read nearly every time. Offensively he's got great touch and is a very good passer.

He obviously needs to gain weight and strength and while his mechanics look good, his outside shot isn't a real weapon yet. But this Kings team clearly needs defense and Mobley could potentially change the entire team on that end if he develops.

I agree on Suggs. I really like him but he's a kid who is good at everything but not necessarily great at any one thing. He's not a PG that carries a team, but if he lands with a team that already has a couple good players, he'll make them better.

On the other hand I'd definitely grab Jalen Green. Id Buddy is still on the roster it's a logjam at the 2, but I wouldn't pass on Green. He has the potential to be a go-to scorer, which the Kings need. Buddy is unlikely to be a long term building block and a three guard lineup of Fox, Haliburton (especially as he gets stronger) and Green is an intriguing one.

It's not a perfect fit, but I wouldn't be unhappy if that's who the Kings ended up with.

Interesting side note - based on record the Kings currently sit in the #5 slot for the lottery but the lottery odds only give them a 1.8% chance of picking fifth. They have better odds of getting any other slot from 1-8 and the only possible spot they have less odds of landing in is #9. If the season ended today they'd actually have the best odds (27%) of picking 7th and a 42.7% chance (10.7% each for #1-3 and 10.6% for #4) if getting a top 4 pick.

I like Kuminga but I would take Mobley #2. It isn't just that he has the fluid hips and enough lateral quickness to switch on the perimeter and the length and timing to protect the rim - he has amazing feel for the game which is rare for a young big.

He's rarely out of position and makes the right read nearly every time. Offensively he's got great touch and is a very good passer.

He obviously needs to gain weight and strength and while his mechanics look good, his outside shot isn't a real weapon yet. But this Kings team clearly needs defense and Mobley could potentially change the entire team on that end if he develops.

On the other hand I'd definitely grab Jalen Green. Id Buddy is still on the roster it's a logjam at the 2, but I wouldn't pass on Green. He has the potential to be a go-to scorer, which the Kings need. Buddy is unlikely to be a long term building block and a three guard lineup of Fox, Haliburton (especially as he gets stronger) and Green is an intriguing one.
Yeh this is why I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision. Mobley is right there with Kuminga for me but I gave the edge to Jonathon due to the value of a wing over a big. It’s close though and if Evan can have the defensive impact of Whiteside while being a much better offensive player/passer he could be special.

If you draft Green, are you running a three guard lineup? I’m sure the first year he can be instant offense off the bench, but what is the long term plan with a draft pick that high?

Yeh this is why I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision. Mobley is right there with Kuminga for me but I gave the edge to Jonathon due to the value of a wing over a big. It’s close though and if Evan can have the defensive impact of Whiteside while being a much better offensive player/passer he could be special.

If you draft Green, are you running a three guard lineup? I’m sure the first year he can be instant offense off the bench, but what is the long term plan with a draft pick that high?
I think you'd have to. Jalen Green is 6'6" and 180 lbs and just turned 19. He wouldn't be that undersized as a 3 in today's NBA and will get stronger with time.

That said, I'm hoping for a top 3 pick for Cade, Mobley, or Kuminga.

Mobley will likely be a much better defender than Whiteside. While not quite as big as Whiteside, he is much more mobile. He moves really well and can stick with a lot of the smaller players on switches.

I think you'd have to. Jalen Green is 6'6" and 180 lbs and just turned 19. He wouldn't be that undersized as a 3 in today's NBA and will get stronger with time.

That said, I'm hoping for a top 3 pick for Cade, Mobley, or Kuminga.
I believe that Green also has a large wingspan. In a few years, he will likely be able to hold his own against most SFs.

I would probably actually prefer Suggs more than Green at this point. Suggs has at least shown some ability to play off the ball whereas that remains a big hurdle for Green to clear. The smart choice would be to trade down a bit to the 7/8/9/10 range and nab one of Barnes/Ziaire (still possibly my favorite prospect in the class)/Johnson or, assuming that we wound up with an additional pick in the 2021 draft from a trade down or a vet trade at the trade deadline, just take BPA there and nab a BJ Boston (at his point so thoroughly trashed by sports media that he could somehow still be available at the end of the first round) or Josh Giddey.
watched Green the other day. I don’t think you could pass on him if you had a shot. But I agree about Zaire. I want to be 4-5 going into the lottery so we have a shot at Cade/Kuminga/Mobley and don’t fall so far Zaire is gone who will likely go 6-7

5) ditto Green

I think Johnson falls and Williams rises. I agree Wagner is a wildcard.