[Game] Preseason Kings @ Suns 10/12/2022 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Keegan equals about 30 additional points for the team. Check.
I wouldn't put it like that. But his presence apparently changes a lot of things, makes teams scramble a LOT more to cover.

We have seen games where the Kings shoot 25% from 3 but there is that one outlier shooting 65-80%.

I wouldn't discount what that brings to the table. Now he isn't always going to shoot those numbers. But he CAN. That's the fear for defenses.

What positive can take for this game from an individual perspective?

Cook did well in his stint I suppose and TD got hot for a moment. Poor play from Fox and Sabonis. The Velvet Revolver was ok. Barnes was ok. I didn’t think Off night played particularly well. Lyles was below average. Same with Monk.

I’d say the biggest positive was still finding a way to win with the off night and poor free throws

What positive can take for this game from an individual perspective?

Cook did well in his stint I suppose and TD got hot for a moment. Poor play from Fox and Sabonis. The Velvet Revolver was ok. Barnes was ok. I didn’t think Off night played particularly well. Lyles was below average. Same with Monk.

I’d say the biggest positive was still finding a way to win with the off night and poor free throws
I missed all of it. How'd the defense look?

I wouldn't put it like that. But his presence apparently changes a lot of things, makes teams scramble a LOT more to cover.

We have seen games where the Kings shoot 25% from 3 but there is that one outlier shooting 65-80%.

I wouldn't discount what that brings to the table. Now he isn't always going to shoot those numbers. But he CAN. That's the fear for defenses.
My overly reductive post was a bit of optimistic cheeky jest, but yes. Keegan matters.

Final Cuts:

1. Easy choice - Merrill - was camp fodder from beginning of camp

2. Toss up - Cook with 10pts in 9 min or Delly as the vet with experience - I vote keep Cook and cut Delly, maybe cut both

3. Tough choice - Who do you cut to keep Chima? Baze, Cook(See#2) or Metu? - This one hurts - Sorry Chima

Cuts: Merrill, Delly, Chima

Final 17

Fox,Mitchell,Cook
Huerter, Monk,TD
Barnes,Baze,Ellis
Murray,Okpala,Lyles,Metu
Sabonis,Holmes,Len,Queta

Last edited:
They would have gotten blown out of the arena if they played the Suns starters.

Our starters basically played against a bunch of AAAA guys and it took them 3 quarters to barely eek out a couple points on them after going down double digits multiple times. Will be interesting to see if this is closer to their normal style of play or if this was just an off night. I can't imagine first half Sabonis and Fox playing like that very many more times.

I'd like to see them work to get Huerter more shots.

Monk has not impressed at all aside from a couple minute stretch in the first two games. He looks more like year one or two Monk when he doesn't have Lebron spoon feeding him.

Holmes playing over Len will always be an improvement.

Would like to see Davion give us more on the offensive end. Defense is always solid but a bunch of inefficient single digit scoring nights is not what lottery picks are supposed to do.

TD has been a bright spot for sure. Hoping he takes Monk's minutes if this is the real Monk we're seeing.

Our starters basically played against a bunch of AAAA guys and it took them 3 quarters to barely eek out a couple points on them after going down double digits multiple times. .
Maybe so, but i doubt our starters come out with such low energy against the suns starters

Maybe so, but i doubt our starters come out with such low energy against the suns starters
Hard to judge a team’s preseason energy level when a stomach bug is rocking most of the team. And the guys in Phoenix were playing to make the roster/league.

But I do agree that one of the keys to the season is whether the King’s start each game with Energy. They slept walked into too many games last year.

Our starters basically played against a bunch of AAAA guys and it took them 3 quarters to barely eek out a couple points on them after going down double digits multiple times. Will be interesting to see if this is closer to their normal style of play or if this was just an off night. I can't imagine first half Sabonis and Fox playing like that very many more times.

I'd like to see them work to get Huerter more shots.

Monk has not impressed at all aside from a couple minute stretch in the first two games. He looks more like year one or two Monk when he doesn't have Lebron spoon feeding him.

Holmes playing over Len will always be an improvement.

Would like to see Davion give us more on the offensive end. Defense is always solid but a bunch of inefficient single digit scoring nights is not what lottery picks are supposed to do.

TD has been a bright spot for sure. Hoping he takes Monk's minutes if this is the real Monk we're seeing.
They would of gotten blown out by the same Suns starters that lost to the 36ers? A team that is one of the worst in the Australian Basketball League, a league that is also ranked 10th in the world outside of the NBA. The Euroleague, Spanish league, Turkish League, and most of the other big European leagues are better than the Australian National Basketball League.

Stuff happens in the NBA, and sometimes those bench players will play like it's the NBA finals because it could literally be their last chance. We still won in the end, and we still blew both the Lakers and the Blazers out of the water by 30 points with their starters. But I guess they don't count.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Hard to judge a team’s preseason energy level when a stomach bug is rocking most of the team. And the guys in Phoenix were playing to make the roster/league.

But I do agree that one of the keys to the season is whether the King’s start each game with Energy. They slept walked into too many games last year.
Hopefully this is where our new coach comes in. Last year we had Luke "sleep coaching".

Mike seems pretty quick to call a TO and lay into guys who aren't bringing it, so maybe we don't have as much of that signature Kings listlessness this upcoming season!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hopefully this is where our new coach comes in. Last year we had Luke "sleep coaching".

Mike seems pretty quick to call a TO and lay into guys who aren't bringing it, so maybe we don't have as much of that signature Kings listlessness this upcoming season!
yeah MB is an active coach and yet he seems to get the player's respect - hopefully it's something that can last long term like Pop and not just for a year or so like some of the others who have tried. Hell maybe he'll even build a program where he doesn't have to be that someday.

I wonder if he's truly committed to KZ as an opener/kick-starter if we'll see Keegan replace Barnes in the starting lineup a dozen or so games in. I think coach might also just be looking at the opening 10-12 games of the season knowing we've been dealt a tough hand to start when it comes to this as well. No doubt Murray could start - but if KZ isn't just a pre-season ruse, the idea that it will be a Murray for Barnes swap makes sense long term if it doesn't insult Barnes, who I still wouldn't mind keeping if he'll sign a team friendly deal again (I think he won't but ???).

They would of gotten blown out by the same Suns starters that lost to the 36ers? A team that is one of the worst in the Australian Basketball League, a league that is also ranked 10th in the world outside of the NBA. The Euroleague, Spanish league, Turkish League, and most of the other big European leagues are better than the Australian National Basketball League.

Stuff happens in the NBA, and sometimes those bench players will play like it's the NBA finals because it could literally be their last chance. We still won in the end, and we still blew both the Lakers and the Blazers out of the water by 30 points with their starters. But I guess they don't count.
Not sure why you're so upset about the opinion that the Suns starters would have whooped up on a poorly executing Kings team? We're talking about an NBA finals level team here. Any team can lose on any night, which is evident with the 36ers game, but I'm putting my money on the Suns if they're playing a low level team.

The Kings starters lost to the Lakers starters. It was the Kings backups and 3rd stringers that blew the Lakers out. The Portland game was a nearly flawlessly executed game by all players. But yeah you're right, none of these games count but they do mean a little more when bad teams execute poorly in preseason. They're the teams that should be trying extra hard. Last night was an embarrassing performance by the Kings no matter how you look at it. That was like a game 75 while tanking for the lottery type execution.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not sure why you're so upset about the opinion that the Suns starters would have whooped up on a poorly executing Kings team? We're talking about an NBA finals level team here. Any team can lose on any night, which is evident with the 36ers game, but I'm putting my money on the Suns if they're playing a low level team.

The Kings starters lost to the Lakers starters. It was the Kings backups and 3rd stringers that blew the Lakers out. The Portland game was a nearly flawlessly executed game by all players. But yeah you're right, none of these games count but they do mean a little more when bad teams execute poorly in preseason. They're the teams that should be trying extra hard. Last night was an embarrassing performance by the Kings no matter how you look at it. That was like a game 75 while tanking for the lottery type execution.
Didn't see the game, but from the radio commentary it sounded yet again like the Kings playing down to the competition, not taking them seriously. This is something I will be watching very carefully this coming season - Will this team have the maturity to knock out the lower level teams that should be knocked out or will they again play down to their competition?

Didn't see the game, but from the radio commentary it sounded yet again like the Kings playing down to the competition, not taking them seriously. This is something I will be watching very carefully this coming season - Will this team have the maturity to knock out the lower level teams that should be knocked out or will they again play down to their competition?
Brown is going to have to take control of that for sure. His tag line he has said over and over so far is “ we are going to compete” so we will see if he holds them to it

Status
Not open for further replies.