[Game] Preseason Game 2: Kings @ Blazers 12/13/20, 6PM pst, 9PM est

Your absolutely right. Portland had their defense set to keep Fox out of the paint. He only turned it over twice in the paint, but almost had it stolen two other times. The only way to combat that is to hit some shots out of the paint. Fox's shot in the catch and shoot looks much better than off the dribble. I'd like to see him get some minutes with Haliburton where he can play off the ball a little bit more and get some catch and shoot corner shots.

Guy on the other hand is almost picture perfect coming off screens, stopping on a dime, getting squared up and shooting. Even his misses looked good leaving his hand. Hey, if Marcus Smart can learn to hit three's off the dribble, then it should be a cake walk for Fox.
Fox's mechanics look okay. Certainly not funky. It just comes off flat. And with his speed, he'll always have that shot when he wants it. Really hope he gets it fixed so he's hitting it in the 35% range.

Anyone get a chance to watch? If so would you mind e synopsis on how the guys looked?
Best player on the floor: Haliburton. Both sides of the ball. Also showed a nice left hand finish (Bibby could never finish with his left hand). And defended like three guys at once on one possession (running from player to player). Could've had 10+ assists if players made their open shots.

Normal looking: The returning players except Fox, Holmes, and Hield.

Meh: Hield. Missed his shots, got a few cheap rebounds, passed the ball more than he normally does.

Subpar: Fox. Rushed things. Missed all of his threes except for one set shot. A few bad TOs and coulda had a few more. Holmes. Horrible passing. A bad fit for this offense and defense.

Rookies/Young Players: Woodard looks physically ready. Missed a three badly. A good reverse layup. Rasimus looked meh. Guy looked good. Easy shot.

Others: Frank played well inside, missed a bunch of open threes. GRIII is a black hole. I really hate his game. First game, dude lead the break 1 on 3 and decided to keep the ball--got stuffed. Last night, he had the ball on a break and decided to go 1 against two--deciding not to pass to an open teammate on the baseline 3. He made the shot, however. I hate his game. Metu hit a step back 3. Looks good. Think Metu is a better fit for this offense/defense than Holmes.

Honestly, Haliburton was lucky to have more than 2 or 3 assists last night. All of his assists were just him swinging the ball around the perimeter and the guys he passed it to just so happened to make the shot. He wasn't driving and kicking and drawing the defense in or commanding a double and making the right decision. They were basically just lucky assists. On the other hand, it didn't seem like he had a single play drawn up for him to make anything happen either. Hield was involved in a few pick and rolls that got him some quality assists but Haliburton's weren't of that variety.

His defensive instincts are extremely impressive. I don't know why the box score only shows 1 steal because he had 2 in your face steals and another one that could have been credited to him. He does need to bulk up a little bit to be able to fight through screens better but he anticipates passes like no one else on this team. He wont be on any all defensive teams this year but I could easily see him among the league leaders in steals if he gets enough minutes. It's a breath of fresh air and exciting to know that we could potentially finally have a 2 way player on the perimeter for the first time in a long time.

Honestly, Haliburton was lucky to have more than 2 or 3 assists last night. All of his assists were just him swinging the ball around the perimeter and the guys he passed it to just so happened to make the shot. He wasn't driving and kicking and drawing the defense in or commanding a double and making the right decision. They were basically just lucky assists. .
I’d agree with the rest of your assessment but wouldn’t go as far as saying he was dishing out lucky assists. He had one drive and kick, 2 lead out passes that were just the right pass at the right time and one of his signature mid air assists that actually created space for I believe Woodard. Plus he had several would be assists nullified by missed shots. One thing that he does really well dating back to college is get the ball to the right guy in the right spot. And like you mentioned, when he gets more involved in the offense I’m sure we will see more set up assists.

I’d agree with the rest of your assessment but wouldn’t go as far as saying he was dishing out lucky assists. He had one drive and kick, 2 lead out passes that were just the right pass at the right time and one of his signature mid air assists that actually created space for I believe Woodard. Plus he had several would be assists nullified by missed shots. One thing that he does really well dating back to college is get the ball to the right guy in the right spot. And like you mentioned, when he gets more involved in the offense I’m sure we will see more set up assists.
I double down on this because I feel like his accurate passing is being over-looked. When you look at the the passes the shooter received and just went up straight up without having to adjust after catching the ball. Haliburton just happens to make it look easy and does the little things right.

Honestly, Haliburton was lucky to have more than 2 or 3 assists last night. All of his assists were just him swinging the ball around the perimeter and the guys he passed it to just so happened to make the shot. He wasn't driving and kicking and drawing the defense in or commanding a double and making the right decision. They were basically just lucky assists. On the other hand, it didn't seem like he had a single play drawn up for him to make anything happen either. Hield was involved in a few pick and rolls that got him some quality assists but Haliburton's weren't of that variety.

His defensive instincts are extremely impressive. I don't know why the box score only shows 1 steal because he had 2 in your face steals and another one that could have been credited to him. He does need to bulk up a little bit to be able to fight through screens better but he anticipates passes like no one else on this team. He wont be on any all defensive teams this year but I could easily see him among the league leaders in steals if he gets enough minutes. It's a breath of fresh air and exciting to know that we could potentially finally have a 2 way player on the perimeter for the first time in a long time.
He did draw and kick and drive quite a bit though which puts him in a true triple threat position and even when they don't drive it to a pass or deep into the paint teams will give him a bit of space on the perimeter and on help that makes simple swing passes more dangerous. That's the benefit of drive and dish and why it's imperative that they space the floor like that around Fox. You can load up on those assists just like Harden does. He's made a career out of lazily jab stepping a few times then after two steps simple toss to his side. Simple quick passes from your main creator means a huge bump in APG. And with players as quick on their first step as both Fox and Haliburton are that means the opposing defense has to pick their poison. Which is something this team hasn't forced defenses to do in a long time.

I was only able to watch the highlights but Haliburton looked really impressive. I was watching him closely and he looks like he understands when to go to the next option. He doesn't look like he takes negative steps. On his jumping pass he looked off the defender and threw a no look to the open man at the last moment; put the ball right in the shooter's pocket when he was wide open. Our offense doesn't look forced when he has the ball. Im interested and scared to see how Fox and Haliburton work in the backcourt together.

As far as the Kings go, that 4th quarter lineup of Guy, Hali, James, Woodard, and Metu was two McNair draft picks, a low key McNair signing, and a holdover 2nd round pick (James) that seems to be McNair's type of long, rangy, versatile wing.

That group (save for Tyrese) isn't talented enough to win, but I think it's a decent preview of what McNair is looking to assemble.
AND KYLE GUY.

I was only able to watch the highlights but Haliburton looked really impressive. I was watching him closely and he looks like he understands when to go to the next option. He doesn't look like he takes negative steps. On his jumping pass he looked off the defender and threw a no look to the open man at the last moment; put the ball right in the shooter's pocket when he was wide open. Our offense doesn't look forced when he has the ball. Im interested and scared to see how Fox and Haliburton work in the backcourt together.
All boils down to how well they can shoot/space the floor. I am not confident in Fox's shooting at this point, and Haliburton hasn't shown us enough either way.

All boils down to how well they can shoot/space the floor. I am not confident in Fox's shooting at this point, and Haliburton hasn't shown us enough either way.
They also both have a bit of a passive nature. It is who Fox is. But hopefully with added confidence that he can play at this level, Haliburton will be consistently aggressive.

A quote from Ty in the Herald regarding goals he has for himself “Just making shots, but that will come, I’m not tripping off anything. And just keep getting paint touches. I’m at my best when I’m getting into the paint, keeping guys honest, finishing at the rim, or dishing out of there,” he said.

Guy had a great game. The only reason I didn't mention him was that he's (a) not a McNair acquisition and (b) doesn't clearly fit the profile of the other players McNair has acquired.
I think McNair really values spacing and shooting the 3 pointer. If Guy can keep stroking it from 3, he could be a valuable guard off the bench.

Guy reminds me a bit of a Seth Curry type shooter off the bench, who can play some point.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I was able to watch the second half tonight. I know Halliburton will have good and bad nights but I'm just delighted with this pick. A lot of fun in the 4th quarter.