Prediction for Draft Night thread!

Who are the Kings going to draft with the #2?

• DeAndre Ayton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mo Bamba

• Trae Young

• Wendell Carter

• Trade the pick for a veteran player, who

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm down to 3 scenarios

Vlade and the Kings org trolled everyone and is taking Doncic
The chatter people are hearing is correct and it's Bagley
Kings trade down and take one of the above if still on board or MPJ or Carter Jr

I'm hoping for jjj against all odds but still sticking with the Bagley prediction. Really I'd be excited about a trade down a few spots too as if jjj and Bamba are out I don't love any of the other guys at two.

I'm down to 3 scenarios

Vlade and the Kings org trolled everyone and is taking Doncic
The chatter people are hearing is correct and it's Bagley
Kings trade down and take one of the above if still on board or MPJ or Carter Jr
I wonder if the Bagley being a lock reports is an attempt by us to swindle the Hawks out of the 3 + 19 if they loved Bags and don’t want Luka. I could just be reaching here but thought I saw a tweet today from Woj saying the Hawks brass is warming up to Luka as a prospect. Maybe another smokescreen or maybe they believe we really are sour on Luka as a prospect.

I wonder if the Bagley being a lock reports is an attempt by us to swindle the Hawks out of the 3 + 19 if they loved Bags and don’t want Luka. I could just be reaching here but thought I saw a tweet today from Woj saying the Hawks brass is warming up to Luka as a prospect. Maybe another smokescreen or maybe they believe we really are sour on Luka as a prospect.
If you don't get the jjj hype just compare his numbers to Kat's numbers at Kentucky. Or compare his per 40 to ad's per 40 at Kentucky. Then check that 7'5" wingspan and his shooting percentages and block rates and maybe you'll come around. Hands down our best option at two imo, sucks he doesn't want to come here.

If you don't get the jjj hype just compare his numbers to Kat's numbers at Kentucky. Or compare his per 40 to ad's per 40 at Kentucky. Then check that 7'5" wingspan and his shooting percentages and block rates and maybe you'll come around. Hands down our best option at two imo, sucks he doesn't want to come here.
I can see him being a good player, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think we need another project big and I predict he will be raw initially coming into the league, much like Jonathan Isaac from last years draft. I concur that JJJ is an interesting prospect as a Serge Ibaka esque stretch four but I’d aim a little higher at two.

I can see him being a good player, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think we need another project big and I predict he will be raw initially coming into the league, much like Jonathan Isaac from last years draft. I concur that JJJ is an interesting prospect as a Serge Ibaka esque stretch four but I’d aim a little higher at two.
I like Jonathan Isaac and his potential, but Jaren Jackson is already better at both ends of the court IMO. I believe Serge Ibaka is much closer to his floor than his ceiling.

I'm very suspicious... The Kings have, at the very least, been mentioned with every top big man, except one. That particular one could end up being the best of the group. He's the only one that has shown the ability to play on both sides of the court. His block rate is better than Bamba's, and he showed he can shoot around 40% from the three. Yes, I'm talking about Jaren Jackson, and yet, not a peep about him from the Kings. Not even a mention. They interviewed Bamba at the combine. They just brought in Carter for a interview. They interviewed Ayton at the combine. but nothing about a player that many scouts think is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft.

Maybe I'm making more out of this than it is, but don't you find that a wee bit suspicious? Of course if he's the player they want, there's no need for deception. Just go draft him at two. But, if you have a plan to trade down, and then take Jackson, it makes some sense. You certainly wouldn't want to let anyone know where your interests lie. I have no inside information and I'm probably out in left field somewhere, which means I'm lost because I was a center fielder when I played. But you just have to wonder why they wouldn't at least take a look at a player that fits today's NBA extremely well, and is one of the youngest players in the draft. He's a year younger than Bamba.
I'm with you on Jackson Jr.....after Ayton - a trade down to the Hawks with 19 would be great for jjj and 19. If Ayton is available, take him. If they pick Doncic, they're going for razzle dazzle - would not be disappointed either. I like Ayton, JJJ with a trade-down, or Doncic straight up is ok. Not one for Bagley or Porter Jr. Picking Doncic is like Jason Williams 2.0 imo - they're going for a catalyst. JJJ is the top defensive player in the draft, and hoping it would help light a fire under Cauley-Stein as well.

Well Kat and Myles Turner both played well right away. Jjj compares pretty well to both of those guys... Turner as a floor and Kat as a best case.

Just not feeling Bagley too much at the moment. However, he's the only one that's acceptable to me if Dončić is not selected. If we trade down, I like JJ.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Prediction?

Mavin Bagley III

Vlade has yet to take a prospect that he didn't see workout. If that holds true the options at #2 are presumably Bagley, Porter Jr or Carter Jr. Bagley doesn't have the injury concerns and was the only guy to come to Sacramento to work out. That carries weight with Divac. I don't necessarily agree with that stance but I think it's true.

I'd love Doncic too. In fact, I'm pretty much hoping for Luka just because it would be nice to see the narrative being pushed that he doesn't want to come to Sacramento proved false.

If Bagley is the pick I'll be good with it but wonder if Doncic was actually avoiding the Kings

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Apparently ESPN, Turner, Yahoo and the likes have all agreed to not leak NBA draft picks prior to them being called by Silver, which is a good start but we know there will be a leak in there somewhere, somehow. I miss the days where Social Media wasn't so big, it's making people crazy with the non-stop 24 hour whirlpool of smoke screens :rolleyes:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Jaren Jackson and Mo Bamba don't want to play for the Kings. Givony said as much on the Lowe podcast today. He said the agents were not willing to send them for a workout. This is a stinging inditement of our floundering GM and to the lesser degree our uninspiring slow-paced coach. It reflects particularly poorly on Vlade for not being able to recruit talent and sell them on the opportunity to come to SAC to maximize their playing and earning potential. We have a beautiful new arena and training facility and some nice young pieces (Boggy, Fox, Buddy) and still these guys are thumbing their nose at us. Why?!

It is not like we are playing in a barn. Its not like we have a cheap owner. Its not like we have disinterested fans. Its not like we don't have young talent. What we do have is perceived incompetence at the top and the prevailing perception that this team will never turn it around with this decision maker calling the shots. With few exceptions, agents do NOT want to come to Sacramento because of the perception that Vlade does not have the aptitude to construct a winner. His poor reputation precedes him. It is well earned: the 76ers trade, the Boogie trade, the botched free agent signings, the Papa G pick. It is not the small market that is held against Sacramento. It is the person running the show.

What if Jaren Jackson is the best player in this draft? What if Mo Bamba is this years Donovan Mitchell? Maybe they are but these guys will not be doing their thing in a Kings uniform because Vlade does not have the salesmanship or good reputation to persuade and influence. When you stink at your job your stench figuratively repels others. I don't blame Vlade for being unwilling to draft Bamba and JJJ, since they don't want to be part of the team. I do blame Vlade for their agents being so close-minded to us in the first place.
I believe I heard yesterday that Bamba refused to workout for Memphis and says he doesn't want to be there. We're getting bits and drabs of info on this issue of what players don't want to work out with what teams. I'd really like to see a comprehensive article on the subject and know exactly which players don't want to work out for which teams and why. Is it really Divac that doesn't have the good reputation, or is Divac being smeared for years of Kings' incompetence that involved other owners and GMs? What is it exactly that they are looking at?

Is it really Divac that doesn't have the good reputation, or is Divac being smeared for years of Kings' incompetence that involved other owners and GMs? What is it exactly that they are looking at?
I don't think it is a big mystery. The King were perceived as incompetent on the basketball side before Vlade took over; and not only did he not reverse this negative perception he exacerbated it. The Kings made themselves more appealing with the new arena, the deep pocket owner, and getting rid of the bad apple (As a player agent I would NOT want my client having Boogie as a teammate). These are undeniably positive steps. So unless you are determined to play in a large market the most dissuading variable remaining is a GM who is perceived to have no idea what he is doing. After this variable, I would say a slow-paced oriented coach and a meddling owner are reasons agents to steer clear. The Kings also need salesmanship in the front office, someone who can sell the virtues of Sacramento. This is another weakness of Vlade. No salesmanship.

I think Kings are believers in Giles. I just can't see them taking a big man with WCS, Giles and KK (Randolph is still on the team too). It's going to be Dončić or Porter if we trade down, or could be Porter outright, which is scary even though I like him.

Bagley rounds out the top 3 for me. I'd be ecstatic with Dončić, pleased with Bagley and somewhat worried/cautious with Porter.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Apparently ESPN, Turner, Yahoo and the likes have all agreed to not leak NBA draft picks prior to them being called by Silver, which is a good start but we know there will be a leak in there somewhere, somehow. I miss the days where Social Media wasn't so big, it's making people crazy with the non-stop 24 hour whirlpool of smoke screens :rolleyes:
Only if you stress about what you hear/read. I consider it all smokescreens because Vlade isn't talking to anyone, so why get worked up about it? You can't impact the decision. You can't trust anything you read, because it is all speculation. So just chill and see what name is called. Then get worked up if you don't like it. ;)

I want to say again for everyone who loves Luka, it’s absolutely not a given he will be available

Ayton is not that good of a prospect

Half the battle will be him being available

Status
Not open for further replies.