Prediction for Draft Night thread!

Who are the Kings going to draft with the #2?

• DeAndre Ayton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mo Bamba

• Trae Young

• Wendell Carter

• Trade the pick for a veteran player, who

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm very suspicious... The Kings have, at the very least, been mentioned with every top big man, except one. That particular one could end up being the best of the group. He's the only one that has shown the ability to play on both sides of the court. His block rate is better than Bamba's, and he showed he can shoot around 40% from the three. Yes, I'm talking about Jaren Jackson, and yet, not a peep about him from the Kings. Not even a mention. They interviewed Bamba at the combine. They just brought in Carter for a interview. They interviewed Ayton at the combine. but nothing about a player that many scouts think is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft.

Maybe I'm making more out of this than it is, but don't you find that a wee bit suspicious? Of course if he's the player they want, there's no need for deception. Just go draft him at two. But, if you have a plan to trade down, and then take Jackson, it makes some sense. You certainly wouldn't want to let anyone know where your interests lie. I have no inside information and I'm probably out in left field somewhere, which means I'm lost because I was a center fielder when I played. But you just have to wonder why they wouldn't at least take a look at a player that fits today's NBA extremely well, and is one of the youngest players in the draft. He's a year younger than Bamba.
Very intriguing. I also noted this odd lack of interest in Jackson, but did not surmise that the Kings might be trying to wangle a trade-down in order to get him. I'd like it very much if they did this. Like you say, they interview Bamba, bring in Carter of all people, and there's no Jackson interview or workout? What the...? (The Carter workout just makes no sense to me at all). I really hope you're right about this possibility, but at this point I'm pessimistic they see Jackson as highly as you or I because he's too raw with too long of a timetable for their urgent plans. Even though I like Bagley at #2, I'd also be very happy with Jackson at that slot. And I'd like it even more if they could trade down one or two slots for a price and pick up Jackson with a trade.

P.S. You think pretty well for being under the influence.;)

I'm very suspicious... The Kings have, at the very least, been mentioned with every top big man, except one. That particular one could end up being the best of the group. He's the only one that has shown the ability to play on both sides of the court. His block rate is better than Bamba's, and he showed he can shoot around 40% from the three. Yes, I'm talking about Jaren Jackson, and yet, not a peep about him from the Kings. Not even a mention. They interviewed Bamba at the combine. They just brought in Carter for a interview. They interviewed Ayton at the combine. but nothing about a player that many scouts think is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft.

Maybe I'm making more out of this than it is, but don't you find that a wee bit suspicious? Of course if he's the player they want, there's no need for deception. Just go draft him at two. But, if you have a plan to trade down, and then take Jackson, it makes some sense. You certainly wouldn't want to let anyone know where your interests lie. I have no inside information and I'm probably out in left field somewhere, which means I'm lost because I was a center fielder when I played. But you just have to wonder why they wouldn't at least take a look at a player that fits today's NBA extremely well, and is one of the youngest players in the draft. He's a year younger than Bamba.
I wish/hope you're onto something but it seems a lot like last year where we only worked out a couple of guys and were rumored to be into Jackson or fox the whole time which turned out to be correct. Sure seems like our candidates are Doncic, Bagley, Porter , and Carter.

Grant just said his guy feeling is that the picks name will start with the letter m and not the letter l. Said he thinks it'll be bagley or porter. Says he thinks the scouting department likes both of those guys better than Luka. My money's on Bagley.

Very intriguing. I also noted this odd lack of interest in Jackson, but did not surmise that the Kings might be trying to wangle a trade-down in order to get him. I'd like it very much if they did this. Like you say, they interview Bamba, bring in Carter of all people, and there's no Jackson interview or workout? What the...?
Jaren Jackson and Mo Bamba don't want to play for the Kings. Givony said as much on the Lowe podcast today. He said the agents were not willing to send them for a workout. This is a stinging inditement of our floundering GM and to the lesser degree our uninspiring slow-paced coach. It reflects particularly poorly on Vlade for not being able to recruit talent and sell them on the opportunity to come to SAC to maximize their playing and earning potential. We have a beautiful new arena and training facility and some nice young pieces (Boggy, Fox, Buddy) and still these guys are thumbing their nose at us. Why?!

It is not like we are playing in a barn. Its not like we have a cheap owner. Its not like we have disinterested fans. Its not like we don't have young talent. What we do have is perceived incompetence at the top and the prevailing perception that this team will never turn it around with this decision maker calling the shots. With few exceptions, agents do NOT want to come to Sacramento because of the perception that Vlade does not have the aptitude to construct a winner. His poor reputation precedes him. It is well earned: the 76ers trade, the Boogie trade, the botched free agent signings, the Papa G pick. It is not the small market that is held against Sacramento. It is the person running the show.

What if Jaren Jackson is the best player in this draft? What if Mo Bamba is this years Donovan Mitchell? Maybe they are but these guys will not be doing their thing in a Kings uniform because Vlade does not have the salesmanship or good reputation to persuade and influence. When you stink at your job your stench figuratively repels others. I don't blame Vlade for being unwilling to draft Bamba and JJJ, since they don't want to be part of the team. I do blame Vlade for their agents being so close-minded to us in the first place.

Last edited:
Jaren Jackson and Mo Bamba don't want to play for the Kings. Givony said as much on the Lowe podcast today. He said the agents were not willing to send them for a workout. This is a stinging inditement of our floundering GM and to the lesser degree our uninspiring slow-paced coach. It reflects particularly poorly on Vlade for not being able to recruit talent and sell them on the opportunity to come to SAC to maximize their playing and earning potential. We have a beautiful new arena and training facility and some nice young pieces (Boggy, Fox, Buddy) and still these guys are thumbing their nose at us. Why?!

It is not like we are playing in a barn. Its not like we have a cheap owner. Its not like we have disinterested fans. Its not like we don't have young talent. What we do have is perceived incompetence at the top and the prevailing perception that this team will never turn it around with this decision maker calling the shots. With few exceptions, agents do NOT want to come to Sacramento because of the perception that Vlade does not have the aptitude to construct a winner. His poor reputation precedes him. It is well earned: the 76ers trade, the Boogie trade, the botched free agent signings, the Papa G pick. It is not the small market that is held against Sacramento. It is the person running the show.

What if Jaren Jackson is the best player in this draft? What if Mo Bamba is this years Donovan Mitchell? Maybe they are but these guys will not be doing their thing in a Kings uniform because Vlade does not have the salesmanship or good reputation to persuade and influence. When you stink at your job your stench figuratively repels others. I don't blame Vlade for being unwilling to draft Bamba and JJJ, since they don't want to be part of the team. I do blame Vlade for their agents for being so close-minded to us in the first place.
I really hope this isn't the case, don't see why Bagley would workout and they wouldn't?

After all the information we have I believe the Kings have two plans.

Plan A The Kings like Porter, Bagley and Doncic in that order. They see Bagley and Doncic as solid starters to borderline all star types and see Porter as the only available transcendent talent. They aren't totally incompetent however so they will not take him with the second pick due to the obvious risk. Instead they try to trade down to 4-7 with the plan to nab him and a valuable asset. If he is not there, they take Carter. This only happens if they get back a suitable asset.

Plan B the trade down sweetener is not enticing enough so they settle for Bagley.

I believe plan B is what happens even though I don't believe it is the best decision.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
After all the information we have I believe the Kings have two plans.

Plan A The Kings like Porter, Bagley and Doncic in that order. They see Bagley and Doncic as solid starters to borderline all star types and see Porter as the only available transcendent talent. They aren't totally incompetent however so they will not take him with the second pick due to the obvious risk. Instead they try to trade down to 4-7 with the plan to nab him and a valuable asset. If he is not there, they take Carter. This only happens if they get back a suitable asset.

Plan B the trade down sweetener is not enticing enough so they settle for Bagley.

I believe plan B is what happens even though I don't believe it is the best decision.
To a certain extent I think they may have been telegraphing this to see what kind of interest it would generate. And I think they might be trying to figure out a way to get Carter somehow - maybe flipping Skal and WCS for a pick 7-10?

But I still think Luka is their guy at 2. I think Luka was moving down some folks boards during the last two weeks but shot back up this weekend, where now they are going to roast Vlade if he passes.

To a certain extent I think they may have been telegraphing this to see what kind of interest it would generate. And I think they might be trying to figure out a way to get Carter somehow - maybe flipping Skal and WCS for a pick 7-10?

But I still think Luka is their guy at 2. I think Luka was moving down some folks boards during the last two weeks but shot back up this weekend, where now they are going to roast Vlade if he passes.

I hope you are right as I am firmly on team Luka but Vlade seems like the straight shooter type. He even told us he has a better deal for Cousins remember. Just doesn't strike me as a smokescreen or send out feelers type of guy.

I really hope this isn't the case, don't see why Bagley would workout and they wouldn't?
I can't imagine the Kings would bring Wendell Carter to town and NOT JJJ or Bamba, unless the decision was not entirely theirs. Listen to the Lowe Podcast and decide for yourself. He (Givony) sounded pretty tapped in.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer

What if Jaren Jackson is the best player in this draft? What if Mo Bamba is this years Donovan Mitchell? Maybe they are but these guys will not be doing their thing in a Kings uniform because Vlade does not have the salesmanship or good reputation to persuade and influence. When you stink at your job your stench figuratively repels others. I don't blame Vlade for being unwilling to draft Bamba and JJJ, since they don't want to be part of the team. I do blame Vlade for their agents for being so close-minded to us in the first place.
All the more reason to draft Bagley, if that is the case. I'd really like to know more of their reasons. They are literally passing up $ if that is the case. Are the Mavs or the Hawks the cream of the crop? I really don't get it.

I can't imagine the Kings would bring Wendell Carter to town and NOT JJJ or Bamba, unless the decision was not entirely theirs. Listen to the Lowe Podcast and decide for yourself. He sounded pretty tapped in.
You definitely have a point, makes no sense.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I can't imagine the Kings would bring Wendell Carter to town and NOT JJJ or Bamba, unless the decision was not entirely theirs. Listen to the Lowe Podcast and decide for yourself. He (Givony) sounded pretty tapped in.
Nobody is passing up being drafted top 3 overall. If one of those teams call, you go in unless you have a promise above them.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I hope you are right as I am firmly on team Luka but Vlade seems like the straight shooter type. He even told us he has a better deal for Cousins remember. Just doesn't strike me as a smokescreen or send out feelers type of guy.
He was heavily criticized for what now is turning into a decent return if you consider Fox part of that deal. Draft is a lot different than trading, everyone makes a lot of assumptions that the Suns wouldn't make a trade if they got an insane offer and I think that's not true. You have to bluff/smokescreen a little. I'm sure he learned a lot watching what the Celtics did last year if nothing else.

Also consider that we drafted Stauskas, I really don't think whatever nit picks folk have about Luka are going to scare off this organization. Luka will make Vivek a lot of money.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah they worked out for Phoenix though, I dunno.
Judging by the comments some of these players make when they get here, the perception of Sacramento nationwide is pretty far from the reality. And I don't think 4 or 5 years of every national media outlet laughing at our front office's incompetance has helped matters any. I just think Bagley has a reason to like Sacramento (stay on the West Coast) that the other guys don't and that was enough for him to at least say yes to a workout.

Because we don't value them at the spot we are drafting?

I think whatever we're doing with Carter is if we can acquire a second top 10 pick or if we traded down for an established star at SF. No way is he going 2 either.
Not buying that, makes no sense not to look at all the top guys.

Why not work out Bamba and jjj then? Makes zero sense
Agents (and players) are valuing perceived opportunity over where they are picked. Thats how it makes sense from their perspective. If a player thinks he can excel more elsewhere he will make less dollars than go to a place he thinks he will struggle or be in bad environment. He will make more on the back end with second contract and marketing opportunity. The perception is the Kings will be a perennial sub-30 win team with high turnover. That perception until disproven is justified.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not buying that, makes no sense not to look at all the top guys.
Except that we know this organization is probably shell shocked from failing to build around one of the best big men of his era and probably won't gamble making another the centerpiece of the franchise. They're also obsessed with their next door neighbors the Warriors and have been emulating them before they even started making the playoffs. And we have two Euros with semi-nationalist ties to the obvious pick at 2, who many writers are calling the top prospect of the last 5 drafts.

I mean c'mon.

Except that we know this organization is probably shell shocked from failing to build around one of the best big men of his era and probably won't gamble making another the centerpiece of the franchise. They're also obsessed with their next door neighbors the Warriors and have been emulating them before they even started making the playoffs. And we have two Euros with semi-nationalist ties to the obvious pick at 2, who many writers are calling the top prospect of the last 5 drafts.

I mean c'mon.
DeMarcus was a totally different player than anyone in this draft. And Luka is nowhere near the best prospect in the last five drafts, if Vlade, peja, and co pass that should tell you something.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
DeMarcus was a totally different player than anyone in this draft. And Luka is nowhere near the best prospect in the last five drafts, if Vlade, peja, and co pass that should tell you something.
I don't do the advance stats/analytics models, I'm just restating what I've seen/heard those that do say.

I guess we can revisit this if they pass because I don't think they will.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Does the draft or just draft coverage begin at 4 pm pacific time?
Draft coverage at 4 p.m. Actual draft? No idea. Since the G1C party starts at 4 also, I'm guessing the actual draft won't start for a while later. Otherwise, the party wouldn't last long. ;)

EDIT: Last year it started at 4:30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.