Pre-draft workouts - schedules, clips, comments, etc.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bluiett is a pretty good player. He's a senior who averaged around 19 ppg and shot over 40% from the three. He's a good rebounder for a guard as well, averaging over 5 boards a game. He's definitely a 2nd round pick. Jevon Carter is one of my favorite players in the draft. If you love defense, you'll love him. He'll hound the ball all the way up the court. I still think Carter could go in the bottom of the first round, but if he's there when the Kings pick in the 2nd round, he would certainly be a quality choice. Carter isn't a slouch at being a PG either, averaging just under 7 assists a game while shooting 39% from the three.

Gabriel is an interesting prospect. For whatever reason he never grabbed hold of a starting spot. He's one of those players that sort of good at everything, but not great at anything. If I had to guess where his strength lies, it would be defensively. He did shoot the ball well averaging around 39% from the three, and he blocked over a shot a game in limited minutes. He's a terrific athlete, who may play better in the NBA than he did in college. He always seemed to have more hidden under the hood. He's definitely a 2nd rd pick.

If you were to look up the word chucker, you'd probably see a picture of Caleb Martin. He averaged 6.8 three's a game. Now to his credit, he made 40% of them. He has one of the strangest looking shots you'll ever see, but hey, it goes in. He and his twin brother Cody willed Nevada deep into the tournament. Cameron Reynolds isn't a bad player, and if he wasn't a senior, he might be considered for the bottom of the first round. He wasn't a bad three point shooter, shooting around 35 or 36% if memory serves, and he was an above average rebounder.

The player from Tulane I hope they bring in is Melvin Frazier, Reynolds running mate. I suspect he'll probably go in the 1st round somewhere, but if he's there when the Kings pick in the 2nd, you have to grab him. Terrific defender who can guard multiple positions. He averaged 2.2 steals and 5.6 rebounds. His offense started to show signs of emerging as well as he shot around 38% from the three. I don't know much about Gabe Vincent since I didn't get to see U.C. Santa Barbara play much.

Finally news about the Kings pre-draft workouts. Only guy on that list that's possible for #37 is probably Jevon Carter. Other guys seem to be camp bodies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Question for the board.... Does anyone know when the top of the draft guys start working out or have they already worked out for some teams?

And by top of draft, I mean the top 7-8 guys or so.

Question for the board.... Does anyone know when the top of the draft guys start working out or have they already worked out for some teams?

And by top of draft, I mean the top 7-8 guys or so.
I'm wondering if a lot of them are even going to workout this year. Really hoping to hear something soon.

Grant keeps saying on his radio show that the top guys aren't going to go and workout for individual teams. They're just going to hold their own workouts and invite certain teams to come watch.

Grant keeps saying on his radio show that the top guys aren't going to go and workout for individual teams. They're just going to hold their own workouts and invite certain teams to come watch.
He's probably right. I seem to recall a number of players doing this last year, if not earlier, as well.

Nothing unusual there. It was happening last year too. It’s how agents handle these things. Rather than send their blue chip draftees hop around the country from team to team, they hold a single workout for all the teams they are interested in inviting. I think the days of having top draft prospects roll through town are well and truly gone!

Nothing unusual there. It was happening last year too. It’s how agents handle these things. Rather than send their blue chip draftees hop around the country from team to team, they hold a single workout for all the teams they are interested in inviting. I think the days of having top draft prospects roll through town are well and truly gone!
He's probably right. I seem to recall a number of players doing this last year, if not earlier, as well.
This isn't true at all. Agents are having pro days, but players are still coming out for workouts.
Fultz: Celtics, Lakers, and Sixers
Lonzo: Lakers
Tatum: Celtics and Suns
Jackson: Suns and Lakers2X
Fox: Sixers and Lakers
Isaac: Suns and Celtics

I'm probably missing a few teams, but some of these workouts were more secretive than others. It also indicates that the top players were specifically picking which teams they wanted to go to. Lonzo would only work out for the Lakers because he wanted to go there. Josh Jackson didn't want to go to the Celtics because he didn't like the fit. Isaac refused to workout for any team picking after #4. Here's the players who worked out for the Lakers last year who had #2 pick: Fultz, Lonzo, Jackson, Fox, and Dennis Smith Jr.

I would be very disappointed if we couldn't bring in at least 2 top 10 names for a workout. It's still hard to erase the dysfunctional label. Zach Collins and Donovan Mitchell were the highest rated prospect than we brought in last year.. and we picked at #5. Since we're picking at #2, there should be no excuses. I know Fox came out for a visit and he was extremely excited to be here. Hopefully he can change the narrative for us.

Last edited: