[Game] Portland vs. Kings, Tuesday Nov. 12, 7 PM PT/10 PM ET

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Worlds away from those first three games.
It's like a different universe. I'm very happy to see Walton more comfortable in the post game press conferences. He's finding his footing, just like the team. Those first three games rocked his world, just like it did ours. He said in the pre-game that the Fox injury wasn't going to change his philosophy one bit in building this team. I like his fortitude and I like the philosophy.

P.S. People that think Bagley can't become a good defender are going to be so very wrong, in part because of Walton. Walton can coach defense, and Bagley has the genes to become his master pupil.

Also from Coach Luke: It's about never being satisfied. Always wanting to go out and get better..

Now, in other news, why is Jerry trying to grow a mustache?

I have no idea if this is it, but seeing as how Koz had something going on as well, maybe for No Shave November. Just spit-balling though.

-What is That? - for those who haven't heard of it

IMO Richaun Holmes has been a different maker. Specifically on defense.

The guy is such a pest. He quickly switches out on smaller players to bother them then quickly rotates back to where he’s supposed to be. His effort, hustle, and energy is fun to watch.

Also major props to Harrison Barnes for leading the charge to start the 3rd quarter. He got the team going. And made lots of little plays that helped earn this W.

Bogi and Belli were the go to scorers, but guys like Yogi, Joseph and Holmes also made their mark.

Anyone else remember the game after we traded cousins? It was great. Anyone remember the game after, the game after we traded cousins? Im hopeful, but I've seen this sort of spirit effort before. I hope it sticks. Lets see how we look vs. LA. Beat LA!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Anyone else remember the game after we traded cousins? It was great. Anyone remember the game after, the game after we traded cousins? Im hopeful, but I've seen this sort of spirit effort before. I hope it sticks. Lets see how we look vs. LA. Beat LA!
Not sure I can agree with your terminology. They didn't win on spirit. They won on hard work, communication, excellent coaching and my four favorite things: heart, hustle, energy and effort.

As far as the next game goes, I'll be looking for those same 4 things. One other thing to remember? Our coach knows LBJ's game. If anyone can help our team to exploit any weaknesses, it is Luke Walton. Having said that, I'm not expecting miracles. Especially in Staples.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
IMO Richaun Holmes has been a different maker. Specifically on defense.

The guy is such a pest. He quickly switches out on smaller players to bother them then quickly rotates back to where he’s supposed to be. His effort, hustle, and energy is fun to watch.

Also major props to Harrison Barnes for leading the charge to start the 3rd quarter. He got the team going. And made lots of little plays that helped earn this W.

Bogi and Belli were the go to scorers, but guys like Yogi, Joseph and Holmes also made their mark.
Glad you posted this. Reminded me of Jerry's "Sherblock Holmes" nick... :)

Not sure I can agree with your terminology. They didn't win on spirit. They won on hard work, communication, excellent coaching and my four favorite things: heart, hustle, energy and effort.

As far as the next game goes, I'll be looking for those same 4 things. One other thing to remember? Our coach knows LBJ's game. If anyone can help our team to exploit any weaknesses, it is Luke Walton. Having said that, I'm not expecting miracles. Especially in Staples.
They won by competing harder than their competition. I see a lack of consistency with competitiveness with this team. Let's prove it's not a fluke next game. That's all I'm saying.

They won by competing harder than their competition. I see a lack of consistency with competitiveness with this team. Let's prove it's not a fluke next game. That's all I'm saying.
It was like that just for the first 4 games. After that? These dudes have been competing like hell ever since. Truly makes me believe the India trip really messed these guys up.

It was like that just for the first 4 games. After that? These dudes have been competing like hell ever since. Truly makes me believe the India trip really messed these guys up.
Yep. I don't consider it an excuse as much as a reason why they looked so lethargic and downright awful. Not only did the 40 HR round trip and time changes take a lot out of them, they lost a lot of regular practice time.

To further the point, the Indiana Pacers started the season out 0-3, with losses to DET (twice) and CLE. They've gone 7-1 since.

Coincidence?

Oh, I forgot to post a couple of pet peeves from this game. Trailblazers related.

I really do like Dame Lillard. A lot. But that dude gets gifted nearly as many ridiculous touch fouls as the Bearded Hag. It's so frustrating to watch!

Could an argument be made that a few of them were legit by the letter of the law?? Sure. But many of them are called with minimal contact that you see go uncalled for much of the game. I sure as hell know that Swipa doesn't get those touch foul calls. Buddy and Bogi don't get them called much either.

It's utter BS.

Secondly, was anybody else growing tired of seeing Hassan Whiteside get away with dislodging against Richaun Holmes? Dude thinks he the 2nd coming of SHAQ playing bully ball. But his name is Hassan Whiteside and the refs need to treat him as such!

I saw 2-3 instances where Holmes established good defensive position and Whiteside completely dislodged him with a shoulder/elbow. One of the plays knocked Holmes back a good foot or two. They simply gotta call that BS. No excuse.

What has frustrated me is the utter disrepect that the refs and even analysts give the team. Hell, during the highlights they were even spending half the time talking about if we show 1 bogdanovic we should show 2 and talking about 2 bogdanovics in the nba. The refs allow opposing teams to clobber the literal crap out if the kings and we get zero calls.

As for the performance thus far, and 0-5 start, but they have gone 4-1 thereafter. So i am pleased. People were getting on Cojo but frankly defensively he was very good and helped prevent what could have been a hallmark night from Dame by frequently getting the ball out of his hands. The coaching staff schemed very well defensively for the Dame/CJ combo and had Buddy and company not started off colder than a witch's titty in a brass bra, the game would likely have gotten outta hand early. Effort over the last 5 games has been superb except in the 3rd quarters (with today being an exception). I think when we get bagley back that will help a lot in giving stability to the team while fox is down. Hopefully they can keep pace for the playoff hunt until he is back. I will say that Vlade turns out tonhave assembled a good roster with very good depth. Buddy just needs more consistency (and no more head bamds in fox's honor) and Cojo needs to shoot the damn ball sometimes. I would like to see more yogi in spots with buddy and bogi. The Yogi/buddy/bogie/barnes/bjelli lineup seems to be the best shot at putting points up while the bogi/buddy/Barnes /bejeli/holmes seems like the best overall lineup for now. Whatever the permutations, finally there seems to be real depth to the roster. Good job to vlade.

Good win. Should have been up by 20 at half. When teams are playing as poorly as the Blazers were, we have to take advantage. Looking forward to Friday night !