[Game] Portland vs. Kings, Tuesday Nov. 12, 7 PM PT/10 PM ET

Been buried, so here's a fast food version of tonight's game.

My models predict a final score of 115.3 to 109.5. With Portland winning by 5.85 points. These stats are with De'Aaron Fox, so depending on how you rank CoJo relative to Fox, the final margin will likely be bigger. I see Cojo as a net negative, but, as it relates to this game, I see the totals for each team going lower--with a final score of 110 to 100 in Portland's favor. This is so because Cojo will slow the Kings pace while bringing a slight positive on defense.

The relevant stats follow:

1. The Blazers are actually a worse assisting team than the Kings. With a 17% difference between the two teams. Portland coming in at -27% relative to the league average and the Kings coming at -10%. Get ready for lots of ISO ball from Portland and the Kings. Although the Kings have improved recently and will need to play above league average to win without Fox.

2. The Blazers have a 16% defensive rebounding advantage. Portland checks in at 3% above league average while the Kings are at -13%. Unlike past games, however, the Kings do not trade off their defensive boarding deficiencies with an offensive boarding advantage. So this means Portland is simply the better rebounding team.

3. Kings shoot more threes and hit threes at about the same rate as the Blazers.

4. The Blazers have an advantage on defense in a number of categories. Consistently 5 to 10% better.

Bonus: Anfernee Simons looks like a steal for the Blazers. Will be fun to see him play. They're molding him into a 19 year old version of CJ/Lillard.

Ultimately, no Fox, no Bagley, and stats that say the Blazers win easily. Yet, the line is only -2 in favor of the Blazers. I'm not playing tonight, but if I did, I would take the Blazers ML. Looks like an easy win for them. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
According to Walton, CoJo is going to start. He also talked about how different players may start depending on how well they mesh together. He pretty much said nothing is cast in stone quite yet (my words not his). I think Yogi can step up and help fill the gap.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks NBASportsCalifornia for the stab in the heart. Maybe make an intro for the next 8-10 weeks that DOESN'T feature DeFox? ...sigh...

Love your statistics! Thx for the content
Thx. Once I built the model, it’s just cutting n pasting the raw stats into an excel, so the calculations are pretty much on auto pilot at this point. Fun to see how far the actual results deviate.

I also built a model for football as well and last night’s game deviated hard. Was at Buffalo Wild Wings with some buddies, who use similar models (at least in concept) for fixed income trading n we were just laughing our asses off whenever there was some crazy play (turnovers, sequence of events, etc) that deviated from expectations. Within a few mins of regulation, every bet was in danger—the spread, over/under, ml. It was binary. Have never seen a game break that way. It was nuts.