Porter, Lin, Kanter, Davis? (split from game thread)

Trae Young is playing much better. I may have been wrong about this kid! His scrawny build and subpar athleticism is a concern still but he has limited his wild threes, he is a nice sneaky natural playmaker and he is trying his best to survive on D. I expect Fox to torch him again but maybe Young will answer back more. Memo to Yogurt: See what can happen when you let a rookie play through his mistakes ? There is an optimal pace along with which to bring a rookie and it is fair to conclude at this point this coach is bringing along the #2 pick too slowly. Yogurt shows unearned deference and loyalty to Willie. Former bust Jahlil Okafor has been balling with 25 PPG and 13.5 RPG over the last two games on 80% FGs including win over the Rockets minus AD. Okafor is showing belated growth and exploiting his chance like Willie never has. He has leaned out by 15-20 lbs and it is paying off. I don't need to check the game logs to know Willie has never put up 25 PPG and 13.5 on 80% FGs in any two game stretch ever. Then you have a guy like Zubac who was a no-show when we played them back-to-back but he scored 19 PPG and 9 RPG on 60% FGs over 5 games before last night getting torched by Embiid. Where is this type of stretch from Willie when our top guys are off their games or get worn out? Zubac and Okafor are 3 years younger than Willie and have infinitely less experience and chances. We have needed our role players to step up more to be a playoff team. Willie, Goose, Shump and Bjelica have let us down when Fox and Buddy have been slowed and this is why we are currently on the outside of the playoffs looking in. We have a chance to get right on this homestand and regain our swagger and pace. Yogurt can start by trusting Bagley and Giles more. But I do not think it is enough....trade please!

Wish List (Chances):
1. Otto (20%)
2. Lin (30%)
3. Kanter (30%)
4. Davis (100%) :p

But if we keep slipping is there any reason to even bother going after Lin?
I think we need Lin so we can move Bogs into the starting lineup (with MB3) and he can focus more on lighting it up. We need him to be a 40% three point shooter and get closer to 20 PPG if we have a chance to make the playoffs. Requiring him to play lead guard in the second unit I think has hurt his perimeter shot. I would love to see what happens if we insert Bogs and Bags into the starting lineup over Shump and Bjelica for 10 games. I think we would take off. But for that to happen we need a reliable backup PG with the second unit and that is Lin. Mason let us down and Yogi is more of a scorer.

I think we need Lin so we can move Bogs into the starting lineup (with MB3) and he can focus more on lighting it up. We need him to be a 40% three point shooter and get closer to 20 PPG if we have a chance to make the playoffs. Requiring him to play lead guard in the second unit I think has hurt his perimeter shot. I would love to see what happens if we insert Bogs and Bags into the starting lineup over Shump and Bjelica for 10 games. I think we would take off. But for that to happen we need a reliable backup PG with the second unit and that is Lin. Mason let us down and Yogi is more of a scorer.
Yea Mason thus far is a disappointment. Based on where we took him in the draft I can't really complain too much, but I thought he could be a steadying presence. His size however is an issue. He needs to pick his spots on O and knock down his opportunities. I predicted he would be a solid floor general but so far...ehh.

I think he'll be off the team after his contract is up, or relegated to the same deep bench role if he can't get better.

Had to quote this just because it may be years before we see our friend BLOB admit “possibly being wrong” again. ;)
I am happy to admit when I am wrong but it may be years before I do so again because I am rarely wrong. ;) The nature of the NBA is that you are projecting based on probabilities not certainties, and the arc of any player is they are either improving, stagnating or regressing. If you are fixed in your opinion you are not receptive to this constant stream of new data. You are misaligned with the nature of the sport! Being mentally shut off this way is not how to improve at anything and it doesn't sound like fun!

Take for example Lonzo Bust. I projected that guy as a joke when others were saying he was a transcendent talent. Now the Lakers are going to have a heck of a time getting Anthony Davis even if they include this fraud. As an aside the Lakers are not getting Anthony Davis. No way! And that is largely because Lonzo is not who he was projected to be. But I will say this about him: He's turned into a pretty good defense player. He can create havoc and play in the league for 10 years as a plus defender. He gets through screens, he plays passing lanes and he has quick hands. If I was fixed in my opinion I would not be privy to see this or admit to it. He still sucks though. :p . When LeBron went down the Lakers proceeded to have the worst offense rating in the NBA with Lonzo. He's not a two way player.

In the case of Young, he's easy to root for. He's the classic underdog. But that is sentimentality. His team fell apart the second half of his college season and his efficiency plummeted. There were reports his teammates didn't even like playing with him due to his tunnel vision. But lo and behold during Summer League and after a rocky start the first 2 months he has started to better balance his scoring and passing and using his court vision and creativity to find guys. Compared to Sexton and Dennis Smith Jr , he is way ahead as a creator. And even though he does not finish well when he goes into the paint, he is unafraid and he goes in there! That's more than you can say for Lonzo Bust! So his ability to draw and dish and attack the paint can maybe compensate for his weaknesses defensively and athletically. That's a lot higher opinion of him than I had pre-draft.

Yea Mason thus far is a disappointment. Based on where we took him in the draft I can't really complain too much, but I thought he could be a steadying presence. His size however is an issue. He needs to pick his spots on O and knock down his opportunities. I predicted he would be a solid floor general but so far...ehh.

I think he'll be off the team after his contract is up, or relegated to the same deep bench role if he can't get better.
Agree. His problem is simple. He hasn't made shots. EDIT: Frank is 9-46 on threes this year for 19.6%. Yikes.