Poll: should the Kings match the offer for Bogi?

Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As far as we know, the best deal we could get for Bogi was DiVincenzo and filler. And I'm guessing that if there were a good deal offered for Buddy he'd already be gone.

So I'm not sure why matching on Bogdanovic and bringing back two SGs who have already complained about minutes/roles and expressed a desire to move on while adding another rookie SG/PG (not to mention Ramsey who could be a steal) will increase either of their trade values.

I've said all along that my preference was that the Kings trade Buddy and re-sign Bogi but unless there's a deal in place before the deadline to match it seems like a terrible idea to have them both to start the season with the vague idea that there will be a good trade for Buddy "later".
In addition, an attempt to get the most out of the diminished trade value for Bogi or Buddy, you have to showcase them. Which stunts the growth of the Haliburton.

But you can use it to take on other teams’ dead weight (of which, thanks to this spending frenzy, there is a lot) for assets, which has been a proven way to build up a small market team.
That route isn’t available to the Kings this year unless they use assets to get under the cap (which of course defeats the purpose). I haven’t looked at how 2021-22 looks with Fox’s new extension on the books, though.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That route isn’t available to the Kings this year unless they use assets to get under the cap (which of course defeats the purpose). I haven’t looked at how 2021-22 looks with Fox’s new extension on the books, though.
Yeah. I wasn’t very clear but I was referencing the whole no free agent will come here so who needs cap room argument. The Kings can’t employ that strategy until both Bogi and Buddy (and Barnes) are off the books.

But you can use it to take on other teams’ dead weight (of which, thanks to this spending frenzy, there is a lot) for assets, which has been a proven way to build up a small market team.
But i dont think that is happening at this point. I feel the teams that needed to do it have done it. This FO was utterly unprepared for this off-season.

“I can’t let my (mostly good but occasionally very awful) girlfriend who’s been trying to leave me for another guy dump me for nothing!!!” he says as he desperately sells all of his belongings at a pawn shop so he can afford an engagement ring.
Unless you pay her a fortune yearly, it's not the same.

Yeah. I wasn’t very clear but I was referencing the whole no free agent will come here so who needs cap room argument. The Kings can’t employ that strategy until both Bogi and Buddy (and Barnes) are off the books.
And I wonder if that’s a viable strategy, because to maximize the return for Buddy and Barnes in terms of young pieces, you’re probably taking on similar or worse contacts, too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And I wonder if that’s a viable strategy, because to maximize the return for Buddy and Barnes in terms of young pieces, you’re probably taking on similar or worse contacts, too.
Ideally the return would be something in the vein of the Bucks deal where you’d get young assets + cap filler that comes off the books sooner than the contract being sent out.

If there were any intention of trading Buddy, that should have been done by now. Not after you match on a Bogdan deal. If they were going to match regardless then it would have been done or on it's way already. They've already attempted to trade Bogdan to the Bucks. Good luck in Atlanta Bogdan!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm salty and I wish Bogi and the Hawks and his agent a ton of ill will right now, but I ultimately decided to hit the "no" vote.

Sure, if we can work out a killer deal for Buddy in the next 2 days, I'm onboard with bringing him back. But I'm not convinced that's likely. I'm not convinced that Buddy isn't the better 3 man pairing with Halliburton, and I'm not convinced that we can't get more for Buddy later in the year if he's not.

I said 17 million was my line, and this is 18 plus a poison pill. So see ya. I hope that you enjoy a mediocre season trapped behind other players and then you go on to lots of FIBA success, never enjoying an offseason of rest and break down midway through every NBA season from exhaustion and Atlanta rues the day they signed you.

I'm salty and I wish Bogi and the Hawks and his agent a ton of ill will right now, but I ultimately decided to hit the "no" vote.

Sure, if we can work out a killer deal for Buddy in the next 2 days, I'm onboard with bringing him back. But I'm not convinced that's likely. I'm not convinced that Buddy isn't the better 3 man pairing with Halliburton, and I'm not convinced that we can't get more for Buddy later in the year if he's not.

I said 17 million was my line, and this is 18 plus a poison pill. So see ya. I hope that you enjoy a mediocre season trapped behind other players and then you go on to lots of FIBA success, never enjoying an offseason of rest and break down midway through every NBA season from exhaustion and Atlanta rues the day they signed you.
Oh don't worry, they're stacking makes Vlades pale by comparison. Unless they win some serious games and even if they do there's going to be some frustration there. Depthing your way while signing players to near 20 million dollar deals in the process can end up pretty bad for the team doing it. Kings fans know the score on that one haha.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Oh don't worry, they're stacking makes Vlades pale by comparison. Unless they win some serious games and even if they do there's going to be some frustration there. Depthing your way while signing players to near 20 million dollar deals in the process can end up pretty bad for the team doing it. Kings fans know the score on that one haha.
Really the most impressive part of the Hawks offseason is how they were able to acquire tons of players who are good at offense and defense but none who are particular good at both at the same time.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have any ill will towards Bogdan. I'm more bothered by Buddy's complaining to the media.

But this was always going to be an issue when you had two good, but not great players who are both shooting guards and lack the ability to swing to either PG or SF.

One of them should have been traded a long time ago when their value was higher.

Losing Bogi for nothing (assuming that's what happens) is exactly the type of growing pain that a new front office that (hopefully) knows what it's doing has to endure due to poor decisions by the front office they replaced.

Last edited:
If there were any intention of trading Buddy, that should have been done by now. Not after you match on a Bogdan deal. If they were going to match regardless then it would have been done or on it's way already. They've already attempted to trade Bogdan to the Bucks. Good luck in Atlanta Bogdan!
Typically teams wait to match. It’s kind of a F you to the team. Atlanta has Huerter hitting RFA in 2 years. By then we should have cap space given we are signing literally no one right now.

One of the benefits of Bogi possibly leaving is that hopefully I won't have to read anymore of this childish, ignorant trash.

"Kings fans are the best in the league", yeah right. Go pat yourselves on the back.

I have never seen a fanbase become more toxic in regards to a player so quickly, when he hasn't even done anything wrong.

Be better.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One of the benefits of Bogi possibly leaving is that hopefully I won't have to read anymore of this childish, ignorant trash.

"Kings fans are the best in the league", yeah right. Go pat yourselves on the back.

I have never seen a fanbase become more toxic in regards to a player so quickly, when he hasn't even done anything wrong.

Be better.
You must have a short memory

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Indulge me. Without being smarmy and sarcastic if you can manage it for one post.
The Webber-Peja wars, the Cisco Garcia experience, Mikki Moore, people meting down when we took Reke instead of Rubio, literally every time Boogie did anything good or bad, Marvin Bagley’s very existence, need I go on?

just because it’s the first time it’s happened to a player you like doesn’t make it the first time it’s happened.

Be better.
There will always be a scapegoat that people will trash on. Even good players. It’s with all teams, not just us. It just hurts more to some when their favorite player is the target. Happened with CWebb, peja, Martin, tyreke, IT and Dmc. Hell remember the whole fox doesn’t imprint garbage that was spewed? That wasn’t even that long ago.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m guilty of it and don’t even care, but I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a player given less of a chance than Bagley. Lmao
Literally the only things that justify people bashing Marvin like they do is him not being Luka, breaking his foot, and his dad being annoying and yet we treat him like a guy who got all our sisters pregnant, emptied out her bank accounts, and then abandoned her at the altar never to be seen again. Lol

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I've defended bad decisions by this team for a long time so allow me a few hours today to be po'd at a guy with an agent who has f'd over multiple clubs, a guy who never took an offseason off to get fully healthy for our club, and who appears to have screwed us over in multiple ways in the last week to eek out an extra few million to go to hell. Don't care.

The Webber-Peja wars, the Cisco Garcia experience, Mikki Moore, people meting down when we took Reke instead of Rubio, literally every time Boogie did anything good or bad, Marvin Bagley’s very existence, need I go on?

just because it’s the first time it’s happened to a player you like doesn’t make it the first time it’s happened.

You couldn't be more wrong, and you didn't even address my point, but that's not a surprise. Par for the course.

First of all, check out my avatar, clearly this wouldn't be the first time it's happened to "a player I like", if what you're saying was even relevant (it's not).

Secondly, I didn't say this is the first or only time fans have had it in for certain players. What I said was, and try to read this slowly, is "I have never seen a fanbase become more toxic in regards to a player so quickly, when he hasn't even done anything wrong."

Would you care to try again, and tell me how literally any of Webber, Peja, Cisco, Moore, Cuz, or anyone else you can think of went from a generally well-liked, inoffensive player, to a detestable, hated figure seemingly overnight?

I don't even particularly like Bogi by the way, so that's a strawman.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Let him walk. It sucks, but whatever.

AND maybe trade Buddy.... although he could still be pretty useful to a coach that uses him right.

We are in another rebuild folks, gonna see some “talent” walk out that door.

Honestly, I don’t think Bogi or Buddy are the type of player McNair wants on the team (if the guys he drafted are any indication). They are JR Smith types....streaky shooters who constantly make dumb or selfish plays. Replaceable.

I've defended bad decisions by this team for a long time so allow me a few hours today to be po'd at a guy with an agent who has f'd over multiple clubs, a guy who never took an offseason off to get fully healthy for our club, and who appears to have screwed us over in multiple ways in the last week to eek out an extra few million to go to hell. Don't care.
Name one way Bogi has screwed over the Kings in the past few days? By having the media misreport the deal is done before it was? By getting the best contract for himself? Shock horror! I understand you being frustrated, life as a Kings fan sucks 99% of the time, but your aim is off.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Name one way Bogi has screwed over the Kings in the past few days? By having the media misreport the deal is done before it was? By getting the best contract for himself? Shock horror! I understand you being frustrated, life as a Kings fan sucks 99% of the time, but your aim is off.
There's a lengthy track record with this agent with prematurely agreeing to deals and then reneging when they sniff a better offer.