[POLL] Gosh darn it to heck!

How would you describe you cussing habit?

• I curse in casual conversation, but never around co-workers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only curse on the internet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I’ve always considered myself something of a walking dichotomy when it comes to… coarse language. Having served nearly eleven years in the Navy, I curse like… well, like a sailor. However, even though I’m into my thirties now, I’m still not comfortable swearing around my parents, or my son.

So, since I’m curious about other people’s habits for vulgarity, I thought I’d ask…

I'm the same way. I have never ever cursed in front of my mom (okay, well once but it was an accident), and I don't curse in front of the boys. Work is a WHOLE other subject - it's hard not to blurt out four letter words once in a while when dealing with sharp objects.

i swear...a lot. i like it, what can i say? as a poet and wordsmith, i enjoy drawing from the entire palette that we call the english language, and there are certain, otherwise "disagreeable" words that just get the job done better than the watered-down, PG, PC words. it also helps that i come from a long line of italians who love food, wine, life, and swearing. so, i haven't really felt uncomfortable swearing in front of my parents since i moved out. i don't mind swearing in front of my relatives, either...or coworkers...or just about anybody, for that matter. i guess i try to keep my words in check around much older folks, as well as people deemed to be "important" along my college and career path. but, other than that, its fair game, as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just a request - this is a family-oriented site. I don't think Slim was intending for people to actually post examples of the types of cursing they use.

Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------
Now, to explain my "other" response. I try not to curse as I've always felt there's simply no need. There are so many words in the English language available to use to express various emotions that I don't feel the need to curse on a regular basis. However, having said that, I will admit to the very occasional slip ... usually brought on by dropping something heavy onto my foot, doing something so incredibly stupid there's only one real word to express my frustration, or a similar situation. I never swear around my mom or my grandchildren or out in public.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I used to curse a *bit* more (usually some of the less offensive words), but my wife (Kinder teacher) has pretty much broken me of that, and I never have around my son/parents. Usually very rare unless provoked, but *occasionally* in conversation with peers (and my co-workers are considered peers to me).

Just been trying to avoid it so I won't slip around the family/kids/elders/etc.

I voted other because I only swear at my TV when Kings are playing ;)

90% of time I swear jokingly. 10% of times I am provoked and let it all out.

The only offensive word that I say occasionally is "hell", and hell that ain't even that offensive. Other than that I never curse. It is a poor witness to my Christianity.:D

i had a hard time answering. i said like a sailor. in reality i mainly curse at the TV during sporting events or events that pee me off. i've made up several unusual phrases when mad.

other then that i try to keep a lid on it. i could care less what other people think of it. i would rather not sound uneducated. to me, they are just words.

I curse like a sailor in casual conversation, but I checked other since none of the specifics apply. I curse around my folks but try not to around my grandma. I swear around (and sometimes at) coworkers but never around bosses or clients - unless the boss or the client is worse than I am, and even then its toned down. I actually avoid cursing on the internet unless the swearing is a quote or obvious pop-culture reference - I tend to spend a little more time composing my thoughts on paper/screen so I choose better language.

One thing I really need to work on right now is swearing at bad refs at my kickball games.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I had to go "other" too, since my cursing would be entirely dependant on company, with no absolute rules/sets of people. The key being that I never curse first -- the other person has to show me they are a potty mouth for me to reciprocate comfortably. Curse all the time talking to my brothers, several coworkers (including one particularly comical partner who is quite...colorful), a couple friends, but it has to be something I know is within bounds before I start. I'm perfectly capable of expressing myself without it, although I appreicate the extra color and emphasis you get by dropping one in.

Lone exception would be as a source of intentional shock or intimidation if someone riles me.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I used to curse a *bit* more (usually some of the less offensive words), but my wife (Kinder teacher) has pretty much broken me of that, and I never have around my son/parents. Usually very rare unless provoked, but *occasionally* in conversation with peers (and my co-workers are considered peers to me).

Just been trying to avoid it so I won't slip around the family/kids/elders/etc.
Peers...to include co-workers

Although I no longer curse on a daily basis (like I used to when working in a blue-collar job), I admit that the Kings sure had me throwing expletives at the TV set......a lot!

I’ve always considered myself something of a walking dichotomy when it comes to… coarse language. Having served nearly eleven years in the Navy, I curse like… well, like a sailor. However, even though I’m into my thirties now, I’m still not comfortable swearing around my parents, or my son.

So, since I’m curious about other people’s habits for vulgarity, I thought I’d ask…
I try to keep it to a minimum. I have an 18 month old daughter who tries to repeat everything she hears, so I have to be careful around her. And I NEVER curse around my parents. Still afraid of the belt...

Other than that, I don't let one fly unless I'm getting cheated on Madden or unless I let my man score on the court. At least I try not to. Oh, and in traffic. Always a good way to relieve stress on the freeway, and when you're in the car by yourself, no one can hear you. ;)

That having been said, I can cuss with the best of them, if I have to.

Add me to the "other" list.

I'm Sicilian, therefore, I curse. A lot. Like a sailor who should be very, VERY ashamed of himself. And, also, pretty much free of any need to censor myself in any way whatsoever.

However, I do have a few stipulations.

I never curse in front of small children or any kids whose parents I'm not close with/related to. I also never curse at work unless I'm in the office alone or I'm talking to one of the few clients that have worked with us so long they're like family. I never curse when I'm trying to make a specific point or argue a specific cause because I tend to think that it somewhat undermines the validity of your argument. Also, I very seldom curse when trying to insult someone because I firmly believe that an eloquent dig, free of four-letter words, can be the most biting.

I don't curse in front of my elders, but I do curse in front of my parents. Have since I was about 13 with no repercussions -- while somewhat strict and strong believers in discipline, they were still hippie/liberal parents who subscribed to the theories that a) cursing is pretty low on the list of bad things a teenager can get into; b) any commode mouth habits I picked up were most likely a result of their own unabashed f-bombs; and c) disrespect and back talk are no-no's, but aren't necessarily dependent on particular words.

I try to avoid specifically offending people (unless, of course, they deserve it) and will usually knock it off if someone asks me to. Also, I don't go quite full boar until/unless I know the people I'm around.

Lastly, there are several instances where I may still curse, but I'll make a point to tone down the level of vulgarity. I have two younger sisters, almost 15 and 18, and have heard the music they listen to/movies they watch/video games they play enough to know that I can be pretty relaxed in the words I say around them. But I'd never talk to/around them the way I do with my friends. I don't curse as much and I don't get quite as... well, filthy.

People have often told me that they've never heard me curse. Then again I've told those same people that they've never heard me when I'm really really angry either.

So yeah, unless you driven me to the point of having to curse, I'd rather not

Now, to explain my "other" response. I try not to curse as I've always felt there's simply no need. There are so many words in the English language available to use to express various emotions that I don't feel the need to curse on a regular basis. However, having said that, I will admit to the very occasional slip ... usually brought on by dropping something heavy onto my foot, doing something so incredibly stupid there's only one real word to express my frustration, or a similar situation. I never swear around my mom or my grandchildren or out in public.

I also voted "other"...VF's explanation pretty much covers me too.

I had to go "other" too, since my cursing would be entirely dependant on company, with no absolute rules/sets of people. The key being that I never curse first -- the other person has to show me they are a potty mouth for me to reciprocate comfortably.
This pretty much describes me. Plus not in front of any kids.

Or my parents.

The last slap I got from Mom pretty much cured me of that. (I was 31):eek:

I voted "other." I generally make it a practice to not curse. I am sure that there have been exceptions but never in front of children or my elders. My family is the total opposite, but I still think that my parents would die of shock if they ever heard me and I am in my 30's.

I usually never curse unless the road rage part of me takes over. This is completely true when being behind a slow driver in the fast when I have a tight time line to adhere to and of course people who cut me off among are others examples. When i swear it is not done in a low voice I tell you. Who needs a horn when words are much better.

That's a complicated question :D

I generally curse quite a bit in real life when I'm with my friends (and not around children). I almost never use Lithuanian or Russian curse words though (which is the "standard" repertoire here) and use pretty much only English which I for some strange reason find more tasteful.

In English speaking environment (a webforum or a chat) I usually adapt to the people around me, i.e. avoid cursing as much as possible in a comparatively polite environment (e.g. KingsFans) and curse quite much in a more lax and curse-friendly environment (e.g. Metallica fan forum or rpg.net). If I'm talking with some person on a chat, I try to avoid cursing if I don't know how he or she reacts to it, but don't restrain too much if I know that the other person doesn't mind that (and/or) curses himself.

I said that I don't unless I'm provoked. I went through a phase in college...I'm glad that I am past it.

The times when I find it slipping out is when someone cuts me off or almost runs into me when I'm driving. It's like the fear scares it right out of me. :eek:

The only other time recently that I remember cursing was during tax time last year when I found out how much I was going to have to pay. Let's just say it wasn't my finest hour of proper English language. My husband still teases me about it, so it must have been bad!

I pretty much swear like a sailor unless I'm in front of family or other figures of authority, except if I'm really really pissed off. Although, like GGG, if I'm really trying to insult someone, I leave the curse words out of it, makes it sting just that much more for some reason.

I don't swear among strangers, coworkers, clients or kids. Matter of fact, I don't think I've sworn around my extended family members either. Have sworn lightly around bro and sis-in-law. Swear in front of my son, tho. Think he was 23 or older before I did that though and its not frequent.

I just wasn't raised in a swearing family. I mean, I know my dad did rarely with the family (under the breath) and probably a lot when he was among friends. The worst my mom ever said was "hell's bells" and "damn" on occassion as as a elder lady. So where did I pick up the habit, at all. First boyfriend was....you guessed it...an ex-sailor. ;)

Ouch!!!

This one hurts!! The KINGSFANS.COM contingent at the 06-07 home opener heard me (LOUDLY) express myself over a foul called when Brad looked mean at Garnett....Hoopsy even posted that she heard "maybe one word" of mine over the shouting of Proph and Bibbylicious that night. I think I may have even hastened JGar's exit with one of his kids..... Not a proud moment in my life!

I actually try very hard not to swear normally. My general rules would be very close to those of Bricklayer, especially the "intentional for effect" scenario.