Pick Watch (aka Tank Talk 2020)

I just want to know... how does repeating what we have done for the last 15 years or so improve our team? We had our good luck landing Fox and Bagley. Chances are not good it will happen again. You attract talent by being a well run winning organization. Is anyone worried about Fox walking from this team? I am. If things continue the way they are, why would he stay?
Yeah, it's a real worry that our young guys want out sooner rather than later even though we still control them for a while. We're not a well run organisation, that is a fact, so it's not as if people hoping for a good pick are happy with that. It's just accepting the reality and hoping our GM doesn't blow it again if we luck out.

Given the franchise’s record on draft picks, I’ll take the approach to cheer for wins. The draft is no savior for this team. Lins are a myth.
LINS aren’t a myth. Memphis implemented the strategy perfectly in addition to taking on bad contracts and came away with Ja and Jaren Jackson. Now they are near 500 again with a great young roster.

Just because Vlade isn’t competent doesn’t negate the value of the strategy. I would add those hoping for LINS are no different than those in the optimist thread. People are looking for hope wherever they can find it.

Given the franchise’s record on draft picks, I’ll take the approach to cheer for wins. The draft is no savior for this team. Lins are a myth.
This is a good statistical analysis on how important draft position is

https://fansided.com/2016/06/17/freelance-friday-expected-value-in-the-nba-draft/amp/

"Some things immediately stand out:

• The first overall pick has historically had a very high floor. Almost 60% of first overall picks become All-Stars, and almost 25% become All-NBA First Teamers.
  • The mid-lottery range (picks 4-10) is unlikely (<25%) to produce an All-Star, and has a very low chance of producing an All-NBA First Teamer.
  • The late lottery (11-14) does not give teams a large advantage over picking in the mid to late first (15-30) in regards to picking All-Stars or All-NBA Players. It does give teams a larger chance of getting a rotation player (~50% vs ~40%)."
Also:

• The steep drop-off in All-Star chances in the early-mid lottery (picks 1-7), and the slower drop-off in the back-end of the lottery.
  • The low chance of getting an All-NBA First Teamer is in the mid-late lottery (picks 7-14).
  • The late lottery (11-14) is twice as likely (25%) to produce a bust than an All-Star.

LINS aren’t a myth. Memphis implemented the strategy perfectly in addition to taking on bad contracts and came away with Ja and Jaren Jackson. Now they are near 500 again with a great young roster.

Just because Vlade isn’t competent doesn’t negate the value of the strategy. I would add those hoping for LINS are no different than those in the optimist thread. People are looking for hope wherever they can find it.
You make it sound like Memphis traded Conley and Gasol years ago and ended up with vastly different picks than the Kings. The Kings got lucky with their process resulting with the 2 and 5 picks, sure, but I’d say the issue right now is more that Ja is playing like a top pick and Bagley currently isn’t.

Unfortunately I would love to watch some of our rookies get some run and see more of what we have going forward.
Lately I have not watched the end of many games and I would definitely watch the games if I knew James or Guy was going to play 15 to 20 minutes a game.

Since we have opened up a roster spot for a up coming trade in the next few weeks and some of those players are not going to get much time on the floor why not play guy a little.

Why not see what we have before we draft 4 more second round players come draft time.

This is a good statistical analysis on how important draft position is

https://fansided.com/2016/06/17/freelance-friday-expected-value-in-the-nba-draft/amp/

"Some things immediately stand out:

• The first overall pick has historically had a very high floor. Almost 60% of first overall picks become All-Stars, and almost 25% become All-NBA First Teamers.
  • The mid-lottery range (picks 4-10) is unlikely (<25%) to produce an All-Star, and has a very low chance of producing an All-NBA First Teamer.
  • The late lottery (11-14) does not give teams a large advantage over picking in the mid to late first (15-30) in regards to picking All-Stars or All-NBA Players. It does give teams a larger chance of getting a rotation player (~50% vs ~40%)."
Also:

• The steep drop-off in All-Star chances in the early-mid lottery (picks 1-7), and the slower drop-off in the back-end of the lottery.
  • The low chance of getting an All-NBA First Teamer is in the mid-late lottery (picks 7-14).
  • The late lottery (11-14) is twice as likely (25%) to produce a bust than an All-Star.
I see your stats and raise you Sacramento Kings history. I’m all in.

Well I’m done watching for the season. So yup time to talk about picks! Not sure what good that will do though as we generally suck at drafting, but it’s far more exciting than any Kings game as of late.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
after every loss, someone should post the lottery standings maybe the top 10 will do just to see how we stack up with the competition ahead

LIN report for tonight. Hard to say this was a good Lin as a good LIN makes you think you are a player away but you still lose.

Ranking by the all important win totals

17 win New Orleans Chicks
17 win Cracked Pistons
17 win Chicago Steers

15 win Minnesota T-Pups
15 win Sacramento Queens
15 win Charlotte Larva
14 win Washington Squibs

12 Cleveland Serfs
12 New York Bloomers
11 Atlanta Pigeons
10 Golden State Enuchs

Sacramento is in a 5-8 grouping with 5 being 42.1% of a top 4 pick and 8 being 26.2% of a top 4 pick.

taking any requests on team names....

LIN report for tonight. Hard to say this was a good Lin as a good LIN makes you think you are a player away but you still lose.

17 win Cracked Pistons
17 win Chicago Steers

15 win Minnesota T-Pups
15 win Sacramento Queens
15 win Charlotte Larva
14 win Washington Squibs

12 Cleveland Serfs
12 New York Bloomers
11 Atlanta Pigeons
10 Golden State Enuchs

Sacramento is in a 5-8 grouping with 5 being 42.1% of a top 4 pick and 8 being 26.2% of a top 4 pick.

“princelings” might be more fitting for the Kings, given your use of diminutives for others.

17 win Cracked Pistons
17 win Chicago Steers

15 win Minnesota T-Pups
15 win Sacramento Queens
15 win Charlotte Larva
14 win Washington Squibs

12 Cleveland Serfs
12 New York Bloomers
11 Atlanta Pigeons
10 Golden State Enuchs

Lol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
yeah fair point at least in terms of T-Pups, Chicks and Larva. But keep playing like they have been and they join the squibs and pigeons in which case Queens might be more appropriate.
Point of personal preference here...I think "Queens" is inappropriate. It's used by Laker fans and a lot of us haven't forgotten. You may be mad at the team, what''s going on, etc. but I think using "Queens" is a step too far.

Point of personal preference here...I think "Queens" is inappropriate. It's used by Laker fans and a lot of us haven't forgotten. You may be mad at the team, what''s going on, etc. but I think using "Queens" is a step too far.
100%. And the Monarchs were a well run and gritty team. There are other ways to describe how sad our team is without the misogynistic trope - not saying this was intended, but...

fair enough. I like pions better. Besides the way they have been playing Queens is far too good :)