To tank or not?

Tank?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yeah but how about that same approach, but building around the offensive talent of the Fox/Hali DUO?

I think those two are good enough that a GM could take that same approach of building out a team of complimentary role players around them. And it seems like that’s what McNair is trying to do by grabbing all these versatile defenders who can hit the odd 3.

Obviously if we want to go far, we need a better coach and another 20ppg threat who isn’t Buddy, but I think we have a really good core in Fox/Hali. Those two are probably going to go off for a combined 45+ a night next year.

Yeah but how about that same approach, but building around the offensive talent of the Fox/Hali DUO?

I think those two are good enough that a GM could take that same approach of building out a team of complimentary role players around them. And it seems like that’s what McNair is trying to do by grabbing all these versatile defenders who can hit the odd 3.

Obviously if we want to go far, we need a better coach and another 20ppg threat who isn’t Buddy, but I think we have a really good core in Fox/Hali. Those two are probably going to go off for a combined 45+ a night next year.
That is true. I would also go with this "strategy".

Still wondering what to do. I would not go all in to play playoffs for two years (at least if they have to to get a good player) and get in a similar situation in a around two years again if our best players do not see some "brilliant" future at Kings.
But on the other side, they have to get into the playoffs once again.

If the Kings are sticking with Walton then they should not try to win, because Walton is not a coach who wins; not with this team at least. And the Kings are not talented enough to overcome a mediocre coach.

So it's rather simple to me, if you can't win then you should tank. Just do it for one season - get a franchise piece via the lottery. Roll out Fox/Hali/high-lottery-pick with a new coach and make some noise in the playoff run. They will likely fall short but it will alert the league this team is legit. Sign a good FA to round out the core, fill the bench, and you're set for playoff appearances for the next 5+ years.