Petrie can see the job ahead

T

thesanityannex

1kingzfan said:
OK, here I am. A real life example of what VF21 and KG have referring to. I am an 8-year season ticket holder that is now struggling with my decision on whether or not to renew.

To thesanityannex, you just DON'T GET IT.

So think about it, especially those that think "what's a measly grand or two on top of 10 grand".

The line for me has been reached. It happens and it's here. And I have 3 weeks to make up my mind.

To 1kingzfan, what DON'T I GET. The season ticket prices have been raised 15% since last year. Buy them or don't. Who cares if I think $1500 on top isn't much more. Your'e the one paying for them, not me.

1kingzfan said:
I felt abandoned as a fan.

I am not a season ticket holder, but I think we all felt that way.

The line for me has been reached. It happens and it's here. And I have 3 weeks to make up my mind
Good luck. I hope whichever decision you make, leaves you happy!

BTW, I think you should send your post to the Maloofs!!

T

thesanityannex

1kingzfan-Can't you move to upper level for the same price as what you paid for lower level this year???

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
thesanityannex said:
1kingzfan-Can't you move to upper level for the same price as what you paid for lower level this year???
I KNOW for a fact I've mentioned this before, but because you tend to selectively decide what to read and what to ignore, I'll state it again:

There are a myriad of people on the waiting list who are currently season ticket holders with lower level tickets. They are WAITING for upper level tickets to open up. You can't just opt to switch your tickets because ... please note ... THERE'S A WAITING LIST FOR SEASON TICKETS! There are only so many spots allocated to season tickets.

You're the one who kept talking about how you wouldn't think much of only having to pay $1,500 more. People have been trying to explain their rationale to you. I see now it's obviously an exercise in futility. Instead of arguing about a situation you'll never be in, why not allow those of us who are actually wrestling with the decision to make their comments?

AleksandarN said:
Yes at least we had depth, before the trade we had none.

I don't get. What is this depth for if not to carry us while we're hurt? Is that not what depth is for. If not, than what is the point of depth? Is it only valuable in name? The Kings have "depth", YEAH!!! If we have depth, I didn't see it on the court, at least not when it mattered. I wanna blame Adelman, but he can only keep 2 of those guys on the floor, and Skinner and Corliss, I don't see how they could've changed what happened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1kingzfan said:
OK, here I am. A real life example of what VF21 and KG have referring to. I am an 8-year season ticket holder that is now struggling with my decision on whether or not to renew.

To thesanityannex, you just DON'T GET IT.

My highly propagandized season ticket invoice package arrived today. Another hike in prices as we were notified just before the end of the regular season. Here's my problem...

I've been in the lower level since Day 1 when ticket prices there cost the same as in the roof on sidecourt now. The escalation in prices year after year was acceptable because the team made great strides to get better...and we did. The Maloofs tried to each year add something to the season ticket package to increase its value even more...they were highly into customer service and enhancing season ticket holders' investment in the team. IMO this ended after the Kings got knocked out by LA in 2002.

At that pinnacle in the Kings' rennaissance, SAC had the 3rd highest payroll in the NBA. Then, for the first time, we saw advertised, conscious efforts to reduce payroll. And today, the Kings are lodged exactly in the middle of the league in payroll at #15. Meanwhile, season ticket prices have continued to escalate. That's not right.

Also, after the 2002 WCF devastation, the Maloofs stopped enhancing the season ticket holder experience. In the last 3 years, nothing new has been added, except the on-line options to pay for tickets (bigger advantage for the Kings than me) and transfer tix to indivisulas when you want to give them away or sell them to someone (I've NEVER used this feature). All the "extras" have remained exactly the same...for 3 years. No effort to further enhance the season ticket holder experience. Never even hear from my season ticket rep any more. Meanwhile, season ticket prices have continued to escalate. That's not right.

Finally. I am firmly in the camp that the Maloofs (with their Petrie Puppet, in this particular case) blew up this season and ended any chance we had of achieving that ultimate goal by sending off Doug and Chris to career Siberias. It was purely a financial-induced, potentially risk-reducing move, not to make our team better. You can always argue that things are long-term and go the self-fulfilling prophecy route, even if teh Kings never win a title in teh next few years. This is NOT meant to restart that now age-old debate, but in the end, losing miserably to the Sonics proved the point. The interviews with coaches and players right after February 23rd also proved the point. THEY all knew. For me, given what I pay for entertainment, I felt abandoned as a fan. Meanwhile, season ticket prices have continued to escalate. That's not right.

The 7-year ride we had was fun to be a part of, and I got value for my "investment" until the latter part of this season. I am now pushed to the limits of affordability with the latest increases, and so now I have to question, for the first time in 8 years, if the entertainment value justifies the expense. I have already been pushing being able to afford these tix for the last 2 years.

I now must decide if I want to become a rabid TV fan, like most of you here, since I won't miss a game on Comcast, or re-up and start the ride over again. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I will always be a fan of this team, but now I have to think of what I can do to entertain myself and my girlfriend over the next year for the new price tag for tix and parking of exactly $11,000.

A boat? Caribbean, Hawaiian, European vacations? Gambling junkets to Vegas? Other investments? Swanky restaurant dinners every weekend for a year? ALMOST ALL of the above?

On the flip side, giving up the Kings experience (note, NOT the Maloof experience) would be very difficult for me to do, since it's been a big part of my life for the last decade or so. I still love the game and especially to be in Arco to cheer on my team.

So think about it, especially those that think "what's a measly grand or two on top of 10 grand".

The line for me has been reached. It happens and it's here. And I have 3 weeks to make up my mind.
Thanks, 1kingzfan... I think you've articulated quite well - for virtually everyone to understand - the situation a lot of season tickets holders are currently facing. True, you're only one fan but your two tickets AND your indecision about renewing them are, I believe, pretty representative of what a lot of you are feeling.

It is something the Maloofs have to be aware of. And, I think, it's something all fans (especially those who AREN'T season ticket holders) should consider. A lot of people have already been priced right out of the Kings game experience, especially parents with children. Now, more people are being priced out or are right on the edge. I KNOW how difficult this decision is for you and I can imagine the number of people going over the same arguments.

If the team is going to rebuild - and not put a legitimate contender on the court - then the Maloofs are going to have to take a long, hard look at what they're charging for the product they're trying to sell. At some point, it simply becomes too much for the traffic to bear.

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
You're the one who kept talking about how you wouldn't think much of only having to pay $1,500 more. People have been trying to explain their rationale to you. I see now it's obviously an exercise in futility. Instead of arguing about a situation you'll never be in, why not allow those of us who are actually wrestling with the decision to make their comments?
I understand their rationale, and it has helped to hear the responses of those dealing with this problem. I NOW see some people don't want to pay the extra money, but if theres a waiting list, obviously some people will pay the amount.

And a situation I'll never be in? I am season ticket holder for the Clippers, not because I like them, but to be able to see professional games for a reasonable price. If I were still in Sacramento, I would have season tickets there, so enough with the assumptions. And no, I don't think I am deterring, much less arguing with anyone, who is expressing their comments about the situation, quite the opposite.

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
It is something the Maloofs have to be aware of. And, I think, it's something all fans (especially those who AREN'T season ticket holders) should consider.
why didn't you just put my name in the parenthesis because it was obviously directed at me. It is something the Maloofs have to be aware of. And, I think, it's something all fans (especially thesanityannex) should consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The point about the waiting list is that not all of those people are going to be NEW season ticket holders. A number of them are actually season ticket holders wanting to downgrade. BIG difference.

You're a season ticket holder for the Clippers? How much do your tickets cost?

T

thesanityannex

About $4,000, lower loge, behind the basket. Not quite the Kings raping, I mean asking price.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
thesanityannex said:
why didn't you just put my name in the paranthesis because it was obviously directed at me.
I didn't put your name in parentheses because I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the SACRAMENTO-based fan in general who should realize there just might be a shift of fan support if long-time season ticket holders are starting to drop out. This comes at a critical time, especially when the city/county of Sacramento is wrestling with the idea of building a new arena. All these factors are interconnected and, for the most part, they are more pertinent to fans in this area because they are the ones who pay to go to the games, eat in the restaurants, park in the parking lots, etc. Out-of-town fans are a separate entity because they generally get their Kings fix on TV.

If anything, thesanityannex needs to realize that - as a Kings fan living in LA - there are some issues that simply and basically aren't as relevant to him as they are to people in close proximity to the arena. He might not like it, but it's pretty much the way it goes.

I am season ticket holder for the Clippers, not because I like them, but to be able to see professional games for a reasonable price.
See, I want to be able to see the team I love, at a price that won't drive me into bankruptcy. I had to give up my upper level seats LAST year because I was still paying off the season before. Relocating was not an option, as the less expensive seats weren't available. The point people are trying to make, which you seem intent on twisting, is that the prices have now EXCEEDED any semblance to 'reasonable' especially in comparison to the product on the floor.

The other point that should be made about the waiting list is this. People on that list have been there for a while. Some are waiting for seats in a certain price range. I personally know of someone who was offered seats LAST year, even though they were # 565 on the waiting list. The tickets were too much and they turned them down, choosing to instead remain on the waiting list, just like the 564 people ahead of them on the list that the tickets were offered to first. I find that a telling indication.

T

thesanityannex

Kingsgurl said:
The point people are trying to make, which you seem intent on twisting, is that the prices have now EXCEEDED any semblance to 'reasonable' especially in comparison to the product on the floor.

The dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. I haven't twisted anyone's points, and have NOT ONCE said they should swallow the extra $1500 dollars. I just said it didn't seem like much more, thats all. But, from those I've read responses from, it obviously is, and it seems like its past the point of what they see as reasonable.

VF21 said:
You're making a huge assumption that isn't quite supported by the various comments made by Petrie and the Maloofs subsequent to THE TRADE.

First, Petrie didn't dream up this deal. He received a phone call from the Sixers, based on what he said AND what the Maloofs said.
I never said that he dreamed up this trade. But from all acounts Webber was indeed being shopped around or for better word availeble for trade. It was in the media all year long. Alot of us including myself did not think it was true at the time but look at the result. Also you would think that Petrie would consider all options for trade before he trades his franchise player.

VF21 said:
Geoff Petrie would not have pulled the trigger on this deal himself. Webber was the franchise player. You don't trade away the franchise player without letting the owners know what's going on. My educated guess is that he called the Maloofs and THEY told him to pull the trigger. He did so.
Ofcourse a GM never makes a trade involving a franchise player without the consent of the owners. That is true in any sport.

VF21 said:
Joe Maloof has as much as come right out and said this with his and Gavin's comments about rebuilding the team and trading Webber in various interviews after the fact.

So, as much as I respect Petrie, I don't believe this trade had his full, complete and unwavering support. It didn't look like it when he announced it - and it went contrary to everything Petrie has done in the past. If there's a reason for it, I strongly suspect it was the Maloofs who said pull the trigger because THEY were afraid of not being able to do so later.
I think trading a player that means so much for the city and the team as Webber did was always going to be difficult. That is what I saw when watching the press conference.

VF21 said:
AleksandarN - I absolutely love these comments about how we now have depth where before we didn't have any. Depth doesn't mean a blasted thing if your starters aren't good enough to get the job done. We had a really deep bench once before - where did it get us?
Depth did help us believe it or not this year. Look at our health issues we had to deal with this year. Brad, Pedja, Bibby, Bobby, Mobley they all missed time this year heck even DSong missed a game or two. Depth helped us later in the season when we needed it the most. We were to trying survive in the competive West. We made the playoffs in part because we had the depth to survive those injuries. So depth in a team that has this kind of luck with injuries is very important.

VF21 said:
And Petrie has NOT once said the trade was done because of Webber's knee. What he has said TIME AND TIME AGAIN...right after the trade and in subsequent interveiws... was that it was done because of financial considerations. And those financial considerations were those of the Maloofs... you can take that to the bank.

You say this was not about Webb's knee and it was about financial considerations. What makes his contract a financial burden then? Earlier you said that the Maloofs traded Webber because they were afraid that would not be able to later. Why would they be afraid to wait? His health was major factor in this trade. If Webber was 100% healthy he would not be financial burden he would be an asset. It has everything to do with his health to think otherwise is putting your head in the sand.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AleksandarN said:
Depth did help us believe it or not this year. Look at our health issues we had to deal with this year. Brad, Pedja, Bibby, Bobby, Mobley they all missed time this year heck even DSong missed a game or two. Depth helped us later in the season when we needed it the most. We were to trying survive in the competive West. We made the playoffs in part because we had the depth to survive those injuries. So depth in a team that has this kind of luck with injuries is very important.
Not unless it gets us results. That vaunted depth didn't get us squat. In fact, it got us a first round exit out of the playoffs. We made the playoffs in good part because, up until Feb. 22, we had a franchise player and effective PF who was putting up exemplary numbers, especially considering what he was coming back from. If you look at the games after the trade, our vaunted depth was a mirage.

As far as arguing about Webber goes, I'm done. We'll never know what might have been. You think the trade needed to be done at that point in time. I don't and I never will. It's just something that will never be resolved and I'd just as soon leave it at that ...

VF21 said:
Not unless it gets us results. That vaunted depth didn't get us squat. In fact, it got us a first round exit out of the playoffs. We made the playoffs in good part because, up until Feb. 22, we had a franchise player and effective PF who was putting up exemplary numbers, especially considering what he was coming back from. If you look at the games after the trade, our vaunted depth was a mirage.
Depth was not a mirage it helped as much as it could. You have to realise that we played as well as can be expected. After losing Brad and dealing with Pedja's on going injury at the time. We did aswell as we could. Petrie did not think that 2 of three 'qualtity' players would have to start the rest of year. Things like this happens to teams(especailly our team given our luck with injuries) but we survived it by playing .500 ball after the trade. Would it be different had Brad been healthy I do not know but what I know is we were able to survive it because we had 3 players that could help us get to the playoffs.

VF21 said:
As far as arguing about Webber goes, I'm done. We'll never know what might have been. You think the trade needed to be done at that point in time. I don't and I never will. It's just something that will never be resolved and I'd just as soon leave it at that ...
Cool we aggree to disaggree since neither of us will change the others mind.(eventhough I am right);) :D

Last edited:
exit strategy

In the last few pages, there has been a lot of talk about fans being priced out of their range.

There seems to be a perfect storm brewing. You have a stadium issue that doesn't brew a lot of confidence. You have a team that has taken a step back while eliminating a risky, troubling unattractive contract (this is no indication of the player, just in terms of risk management) along with trimming the payroll expenditures to around the middle of the pack. At the same time prices have gone up in contrast to the product offered.

1Kingzfan put in first hand perspective what I meant by the owners squeezing the fans dry.

The owners have said they aren't looking at moving the team. That doesn't mean that they couldn't sell the team to someone who would. The Kings while they were on the top were the crown jewel, a valuable asset that reaped benefits for other parts of their enterprise. A mediocre team could be a detriment to that image. If they moved the team there would be a PR backlash. If "forced" to sell due to attendance, stadium problems the blame and PR backlash could be diverted. Image in their profession must play a huge part in success or failure. The stadium is an issue that is not going away. If the fans turn away, the door is open. Is that what they are trying to do? A team located my side of the Mississipi would not be an asset to them. There are enough other entertainment options other than Vegas on this side. They would also be able to sell at a hansome profit.

This is all idle musings, none is based on anything but speculation.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
whozit said:
In the last few pages, there has been a lot of talk about fans being priced out of their range.

There seems to be a perfect storm brewing. You have a stadium issue that doesn't brew a lot of confidence. You have a team that has taken a step back while eliminating a risky, troubling unattractive contract (this is no indication of the player, just in terms of risk management) along with trimming the payroll expenditures to around the middle of the pack. At the same time prices have gone up in contrast to the product offered.

1Kingzfan put in first hand perspective what I meant by the owners squeezing the fans dry.

The owners have said they aren't looking at moving the team. That doesn't mean that they couldn't sell the team to someone who would. The Kings while they were on the top were the crown jewel, a valuable asset that reaped benefits for other parts of their enterprise. A mediocre team could be a detriment to that image. If they moved the team there would be a PR backlash. If "forced" to sell due to attendance, stadium problems the blame and PR backlash could be diverted. Image in their profession must play a huge part in success or failure. The stadium is an issue that is not going away. If the fans turn away, the door is open. Is that what they are trying to do? A team located my side of the Mississipi would not be an asset to them. There are enough other entertainment options other than Vegas on this side. They would also be able to sell at a hansome profit.

This is all idle musings, none is based on anything but speculation.

Mmm...probably not in the Maloofs case unless they are really flaky. They have basketball in the blood and have waited decades to get their very own team. Don't see them selling out -- it was never an investment, but a dream/hobby they probably had since they were kids.

On the other hand I'm sure the difficulties, with the new arena in particular, came as a bit of a shock to them. Everything was going so well, and then to have such intransigence on that issue must have been a real sobering blow. In theory, they did everything they were susposed to do to grease the new arena wheels -- made the team a winner, exciting, nationally (and internationally) reknowned. For it not to happen had to throw in the first real seeds of doubt. Then injuries, hostile articles, cable company fights, fanbase (and ticket price) issues etc. and the bloom is definitely fading from the charmed Kings/Maloofs franchise rose.

Put all of it together and I do think there is a real risk of the once inconceivable happening, and the Kings fleeing for greener pastures (hell, I might, and I was born in Sacto). But I think they will be fleeing with the Maloofs still in charge -- those guys waited too long to finally get their hands on their big toy to turn around and give it away just a few years later, even if a few spoilsports have made it less fun than it once was.

Bricklayer said:
Mmm...probably not in the Maloofs case unless they are really flaky. They have basketball in the blood and have waited decades to get their very own team. Don't see them selling out -- it was never an investment, but a dream/hobby they probably had since they were kids.
Actually, they were raised around NBA ownership. So as you suggest, it's in their collective blood.

Their mother sold the Houston Rockets in 1984 after their father passed away. Ever since, Joe and Gavin have longed for a chance to own another franchise.

I'm with Bricklayer here: There's a good chance Sacto may lose the Kings. But the Brothers Maloof losing the Kings? Not a chance...

Last edited:
Brick and SactoGreg,

Fair enough, I don't know. My disclaimer was:

This is all idle musings, none is based on anything but speculation
In my estimation (since I wrote it), it probably is fiction based on random facts. I would equate it to saying, the earth is round, the earth rotates around the sun and therefore life exists on Mars.

Renew, or not to renew...

1kingzfan said:
On the flip side, giving up the Kings experience (note, NOT the Maloof experience) would be very difficult for me to do, since it's been a big part of my life for the last decade or so. I still love the game and especially to be in Arco to cheer on my team.
1kingzfan and I have discussed the issue of renewing season tickets many, many times. Everything he wrote in his explanation touches a part of the thought process I went through before last season with respect to renewing my seats of 10 years.

But the above excerpt is the one issue I struggled with more than anything else.

Sounds trivial to some, but walking away from my tickets was one of the hardest decisions I've made in my short, 40 year life!

But thanks to the rising costs of the seats, the fact that the product on the floor has diminished over the past two seasons, and the introduction of Comcast Sports Network along with TiVO, it looks as though 1kf and SactoGreg may be (again) watching games together. Only next season it will be in front of a TV with a few "sodas"!... ;)

Kingsgurl said:
This isn't about Webber anymore. It's about the players we DO have. The ones who will be playing for us come fall. The comments about depth puzzle me, because I don't see a deep team (certainly not right now) Depth, to me, means quality, not quantity. All teams have 12 players. Having depth means the collective level of your 12 players is higher than most teams, means you are 2 or even 3 deep in QUALITY players at all positions. That would be deep. It means you have a player or two or even three on your bench who could be starters for a majority of teams (and before you jump in with Bobby Jackson please remember that he has missed more games than he has played for the last 2 seasons and is not quite the player he once was, which, as we have come to know in the NBA business oriented world means he is next under the bus) In other words, having 2 or 3 players who happen to play the same position doesn't make you 'deep' not if none of them would even be starting for you if you had any other option.Maybe someone could break down the whole depth angle for me and show me how they get the feeling we are?
Bibby/Bobby
Kevin
Peja/Corliss
Thomas/Skinner
Brad/Tag
a draft pick, a MLE player (or 2 if we split it) and some minimum contracts to round out the rest. That's NOT deep.

Need some trades, BIG trades.
I think the "depth" refers to who was on the floor last year. When you look at the here and now, it looks staggering:

Bibby/Bobby
Kevin
Peja/Corliss
Thomas/Skinner
Brad/Tag

Looks bad, but look if the trade hadn't happened:

Bibby/Bobby
Kevin
Peja
Webber
Brad/Tag

Both have staggering holes. Neither has depth. Neither is a title contender. Both have the mid-level and a draft pick. In the first, you have 4 trade exemptions worth ~5 million and the second you have one around 900K.

In both you have two expiring contracts with Tag and Bobby. In the first, you have options. Daunting challenge but options netherless. In the second, you are at a negotiating disadvantage because you have little to no choice but to gut your core. Kevin would probably have to be included to get salaries to match. The downward slope (talent wise) that the Kings have been on since '02 would be continued and possibly accelerated. The first gives the team a chance to stop the downward trend, maybe(?) start upwards.

This team has issues and Petrie has his work cut out.

Last edited:
Kingsgurl and KP,

You asked about the depth issues, no rebuttals?

Kingsgurl, I can't argue about any of your points about the impact on last years team. They were what they were. You concluded by giving the current line-up and my counter is that either way this team was going to face tremendous hurdles. One had a better outlook (IMHO) going forward than the other. This summer begins the future complete with a ton of challenges.

Hoping for a "competitive" team next year.

Sorry, wasn't on. What's to rebutt? You said yourself the team isn't deep, which was my point. (the issue isn't 'would we have been deep if the trade hadn't been made', the issue is people keep saying we are a deep team, and it just isn't true. We aren't. Don't confuse quantity with quality.

There are, indeed, huge hurdles to be overcome. I don't see the job as being quite as easy as some are making it out to be (not you, whozit) It took Petrie a couple years to put it all together originally, and that was without the constraints we are currently under salary cap wise. 50 win seasons weren't good enough for some, what's the feeling going to be if we are not able to maintain even that? It could happen. Petrie is exceptionally good at what he does, but it's a TALL order.

I get the feeling some have not adjusted the expectation level to where we realistically are.

Last edited:
Don't confuse quantity with quality.
Not sure at this point if the team even has quantity. It just has a lot of pieces and exemptions that hopefully Petrie can combine some way to reverse the direction of the team. The downward trend has been on for a couple of years now. The point of falling of the edge into the lottery is close, hopefully averted but not sure about that.

And I am sorry if I came across wrong.

I'm trying to remember the last time the Maloofs gave the go ahead to use any of our trade exceptions? Willl this be the year? Or are we still trying to trim payroll as best we can? This should be interesting, and might give an indication of how serious the Maloofs currently are about winning. (I know they WANT to win, but are they willing to spend extra? They haven't been for several years now. Will that trend continue? I think that 'trimming' of expenditures, the wise BUSINESS choice of not over-spending is the single biggest contributor to the decline of the team over the last several seasons.