Petrie and Cooper meeting with Ryan Anderson

We do not want him starting at 3, not if we're trying to improve our d. Every 3 on our team currently defends sf better than Anderson can. We really need to stop trying to make pieces fit where they don't.

Jason Jones

Spoke with Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie. Said the Kings' first call was to Jason Thompson's agent, Leon Rose. Added the team has made a formal offer to Thompson and he will continue to talk to Rose. Said meeting with Anderson was good. On whether Anderson was a PF or SF Petrie said:
"A lot of that depends onwho’s making the opinion. He was primarily a four (power forward) in Orlando but he can play some other spots on the perimeter." Has spoken to Terrence Williams' agent, Aaron Goodwin, but J.T. is the priority to re-sign.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I would hesitate to over read into this. Ryan is a Sac local who may just be in town and had a lunch. It may also be a way to light fires under Orlando and JT.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He's not a SF y'all. He's PF, that's it. Doesn't make much sense with the drafting of Robinson and possible re-signing of JT.

I know a lot of people like him, but he just isn't much of a fit anymore. Maybe if we don't re-sign JT?
Backup plan to JT would be the sensible read here -- local boy, so a free agent who might actually not discriiminate against us.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Jason Jones
Spoke with Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie. Said the Kings' first call was to Jason Thompson's agent, Leon Rose. Added the team has made a formal offer to Thompson and he will continue to talk to Rose. Said meeting with Anderson was good. On whether Anderson was a PF or SF Petrie said: "A lot of that depends onwho’s making the opinion. He was primarily a four (power forward) in Orlando but he can play some other spots on the perimeter." Has spoken to Terrence Williams' agent, Aaron Goodwin, but J.T. is the priority to re-sign.

https://twitter.com/#!/mr_jasonjones
As to Anderson, it sounds like Petrie thinks he could be a SF. I think I only saw him once or maybe I should say, paid attention to him once. He has a very nice outside shot <<<< based on one game's observation, of course. :)

I certainly would prefer AK47 but we are in a position of being beggers and maybe, like with Hayes, a local boy is all we can think about. It's certainly worth a thought and depends a lot on what JT wants. Not ideal. Can we get what is ideal?

Edit: Ha! I see Brick covered that.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Toured the practice facility. Doesn't sound like a simple lunch while in town.

Free-agent power forward Ryan Anderson met with representatives from the Sacramento Kings on Monday, reports Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee. "Anderson had lunch with team officials and visited team's practice facility," he continues. The league's Most Improved Player is a restricted free agent, giving the Orlando Magic the right to match any offer he receives from a competing team. It's not known if Anderson and the Kings discussed contract terms.
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.co...-free-agency-rumors-ryan-anderson-kings-magic

Yep I think the Magic are not quite ready to pay out big on Anderson knowing this Howard thing is tumbling further out of their control.

And if you put Anderson and Jimmer on the floor, it creates a bunch of space. But again on defense, you will take your lumps. Might be a potent bench unit and offense defense situation lineup filler. But I would not want them as my primary starters.
Agreed. We would lose a lot of D with our second unit. But at least our offense would stagnate as badly as it did when the starters subbed out.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Agreed. We would lose a lot of D with our second unit. But at least our offense would stagnate as badly as it did when the starters subbed out.
Are you saying Anderson would sign here to be on the bench? If so, I really doubt that. I also doubt if Orlando would not match whatever we offered. It's worth a chat and a visit of the facilities though. I hope they didn't show him PBP.

T Rob will offer everything JT does to another level. Anderson adds another dimension to our frontline. He would help Cousins, Tyreke and Isaiah. Anderson is probably looking for a starters role, he would actually be an ideal starter next to Cousins and Tyreke. I would like this pickup and then hopefully be able make a trade for a SF, maybe do a sign and trade with JT?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Are you saying Anderson would sign here to be on the bench? If so, I really doubt that. I also doubt if Orlando would not match whatever we offered. It's worth a chat and a visit of the facilities though. I hope they didn't show him PBP.
That's the thing, why would he want to go from playoff starter to Sac backup? I don't see it. Then, if he did sign as a backup it most likely means we payed far too much for a backup who isn't great at defense or rebounding. I don't know, doesn't make sense to me after picking TRob.

Play him at SF it's purely for offense as his defense out there would jsut not be good, and we could probably find a better, cheaper fit than sticking Ryan at the 3. He just doesn't fit with this roster imo. Could be another Reke/MT scenario which we really don't need.

Not sure. Anderson has had a variety of roles in the league already. He seems like a good teammate who wants to win. I think at this stage of his career he would want guaranteed minutes, but am not sure he would demand to start.

I agree though, I am at a loss where those minutes would come from. Anderson could play some 4 and 5 in the right match ups, but not every night. There could very easily be a good chunk of games where he plays 15-20 minutes even without JT. I have a hard time believing that's what he wants.

I see 2 possible scenario why we're interested in Anderson.

1.) JT sees greener pastures than Sac. Either he sees Robinson supplanting him or his agent expects better $$$ than Asik had, which I don't think the Maloofs will match.

2.) Our FO thinks that Robinson can run with quick forwards on defense which would make Anderson stick with slower forwards on defense and be a Peja kind of guy on offense to spread the floor for TRob and DMC down low.

Jason Ross filling in for Grant today. Just heard recap and he said the Kings have an offer out to JT. Sounded like Petire thinks Anderson can play the 3.

Just went to 82games, and there's nothing on him playing SF. Only PF/C. I know he can shoot like a SF, I just don't think I'd want him guarding Lebron, Gay, Melo, Granger and a handful of other SF's on the perimeter.
In this case, you want to try the quicker of the two (AR or TRob) guarding the SF on the open floor. IMO, that would be TRob who I think is quicker than Peja from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:
According to Carmichael Dave
Spotted at lunch downtown today- local boy Ryan Anderson having lunch with Geoff Petrie and Wayne Cooper.

More on #CDNET at 7
27 minutes ago
Im disappointed this didn't start out with Breaking Moos!*

* Only those listening to CDNET will get this.

I see 2 possible scenario why we're interested in Anderson.

1.) JT sees greener pastures than Sac. Either he sees Robinson supplanting him or his agent expects better $$$ than Asik had, which I don't think the Maloofs will match.

2.) Our FO thinks that Robinson can run with quick forwards on defense which would make Anderson stick with slower forwards on defense and be a Peja kind of guy on offense to spread the floor for TRob and DMC down low.
Add that:

Whiteside might have bigger role next season which I think is long over-due for his development. If he gets inserted to our bigs rotation, you won't be needing JT as much anymore. We need that shot-blocking big to develop NOW and we can't get it anywhere.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That would seem to be sensible. We can't just sit around assuming JT won't go anywhere else.
We've already gone through an off season where we didn't sign our own free agents and had no reasonable backup plan. There is nothing ideal about him but it's better than signing a 6'6" center.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
In this case, you want to try the quicker of the two (AR or TRob) guarding the SF on the open floor. IMO, that would be TRob who I think is quicker than Peja from what I've seen so far.
I don't like either playing SF right now. How about letting TRob learn to defend NBA PF's first. I also am really hesitant to pair Ryan with Cuz upfront defensively, as imo he was about an average defender with D12 behind him. Cuz aint Dwight. Offensively I get the attraction of a stretch 4 next to Cuz but personally am not much of a fan of that in general.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That's an interesting thought. The fact is, TRob is fast but can he really guard a SF? We don't know. One thing I DO know is that there is probably an even chance that he could guard a SF as well as who we have. That's not really meant to sound like a good thing.

Not me too. Coz the last time we were dominating we had a 6'10" SF who can hit a lot threes.
But for this to work, Hassan should have a break out season as a shot blocker with consistent rotation minutes.
Otherwise, DMC would be sitting on the bench with 4 fouls every third quarter.

My guess is they see him as a SF and then play a zone D to make up for his lack of quickness? Would kind of hurt our rebounding though which should be one of our few strengths next year. Then again, with Anderson at SF we'd finally have a legit offensive weapon there who can really spread the floor, and his skill set compliments Cousins and TRob. Plus he's a good rebounder for a 3.

My guess is they see him as a SF and then play a zone D to make up for his lack of quickness? Would kind of hurt our rebounding though which should be one of our few strengths next year. Then again, with Anderson at SF we'd finally have a legit offensive weapon there who can really spread the floor, and his skill set compliments Cousins and TRob. Plus he's a good rebounder for a 3.
i'd be willing to give him a try at 3. we've been trying for the last few years of using undersized sf by using shooting guards/point guards at the 3, might as well try an oversized sf. i mean we've been constantly wanting to use donte at the 3 instead of the 4 (i know greene is faster than anderson). would be nice to have a 3 that can actually make a 3. of course id rather have a real sf play his natural position, but if we cant get AK or another decent sf, might as well get anderson that can hopefully play the 3 as well as fill in at the stretch 4. especially if we cant resign JT

I think fans are getting hung up on the starting thing. If you sign Anderson, it's not about filling slots in a starting lineup. It's about being able to put an offense on the floor in the final possessions of a close game and being able to put pressure on the defense by spreading it out to cover everyone. Spacing for Cousins and Tyreke to operate is a major benefit. That is something the Kings just can't do now no matter how awesomely talented those players are. But I bet defenses don't sag off Anderson in the corner unless they want to give up a three. There has to be a perimeter threat in there to keep the defense honest. I'm sure nobody wants to see Tyreke drive into traffic or Cousins getting double teamed when the game is on the line. I would be great to plug in one name like Batum that can do it all. But he is not going to be a King, so maybe the answer lies in a few players instead.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Now I am ALWAYS a fan of playing big. And this would be a way to get a big SF, who shoots threes, and who would be physical at the position. However here again we run into our shotblocking issue. Playing guys on the perimeter who can't stay in front of their men is dangerous if you don't have an eraser back behind them to protect the rim.