Peja: "The New Chris Webber"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think we want whatever system works, and the aesthetics of the system or "principles" of the system, as if they exist in basketball, be damned. At least when it applies to a system which is inherently neutral -- a system is not "principles", you put that on it from the outside.

You have a bunch of unathletic guys with poor ballhandling skills and little if any one on one ability? Sure run the Princeton. Won't win you a title, but will give you a chance to win more games than playing it straight will.

You have Shaq, or Kobe, or A.I. or LeBron, or any other brilliant ballhandler or creative one on one player, then you run something to take advantage of those abilities. Taking the ball out of their hands so that you can sing kumbaylah and let some scrub feel good about himself with a few extra touches a game isn't good basketball, or smart basketball, or anything else but stupid dogmatism. "Good" basketball is whatever wins, at least in any competitive setting. This isn't a daycare, and we're not trying to teach children traditional values like sharing and selflessness. We are trying to win.

(I will withhold only my ******* execption. Rather lose than be an *******. Rather lose than sacrifice pride & dignity. But there is absolutely nothing prideless or undignified about employing the best system to win games.)

Last edited:
Oh, I definitely agree. Anything short of purposely trying to injure opposing players is cool with me. I like the analogy nontheless. Lots of surface similarities minus the underlying principles. Give me a dictatorship!

The dignity thing made me think of something else. There was this one guy (forget his name) in the old days of the NBA who shot his free throws underhanded (using both hands). He had a ridiculously high percentage (96% or something). I think he tried to teach his method to Shaq once. But Shaq refused, saying he'd rather miss looking good than hit, looking fruity (or something to that effect).

Zyphen said:
There was this one guy (forget his name) in the old days of the NBA who shot his free throws underhanded (using both hands). He had a ridiculously high percentage (96% or something). I think he tried to teach his method to Shaq once. But Shaq refused, saying he'd rather miss looking good than hit, looking fruity (or something to that effect).
Rick Barry

Off Topic:

Shaq did have a free throw teacher
http://www.hoopshype.com/fan_mail/palubinskas.htm
This guy shot 99%.. but in non NBA competition.