Peja Prepares to Stay in Sacramento for the Long Haul

True, but if you think that Bibby doesn't pass the ball to Pedja, look at what Bobby does and you'll be happy if Pedja even touches the ball.

During the first games of the season, it looked a little funny to my wife and I when Bibby and Webber were on the left side of the court not doing much of anything, and more than once, Peja would be standing by himself in the right corner behind the arc. I think what struck me most was that the opposition was ignoring him at times. It just looked funny to leave Peja uncovered. I have not seen much of that since the Kings started winning. I am glad that I was not the only one to see it.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I am very surprised that it took so long to realize the obvious. It has been going on for 3 years now. Now, I do not want to speculate about reasons but during the last 3 years Bibby wes looking for Pedja only when Webber was injured. Again it might be a part of the offensive strategy. Maybe it is not intentional or even personal.
I think that 2 man game should be an legitimate offensive option but not nearly as much as it has been before. It is also Pedjas job to say something if he thinks that it has been going on for a reason.
The biggest problem in all this is the fact that we have 2 very selfish oriented PG's which again might be a part of the RA system.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Four notes:

1) Peja does not pass the ball as a rule. He is not a bad passer when he chooses to. But he is essentially a "selfish" offensive player. I put that word in parenthesis because it is just his game -- he creates offense for himself, not others. But the fact remains, when he gets the ball his goal is to find a way to shoot it. Thus you can't run any offense through him until you are ready for the shot to go up.
2) Bibby normally only has the ball early in the possession. Then he hands it off to one of the big guys. From that point onward the offense normally runs through Webb or Miller, and Bibby himself is now basically a scorer.
3) Combine those two things and you have a situation where Bibby can't give Peja the ball very often at the beginning of the possession without the shot going up too early or the possession bogging down. And by the time it gets to the point in the possession where you would normally want Peja to have it, Bibby no longer has the ball in his hands except as a shooter.
4) Bibby is also not a drive and kick PG. He's primarily a shooter, with some sneaky ability to get to the hoop. But he rarely slices to the hoop and kicks out to somebody else on the perimeter. Which makes it tough for him to feed Peja. When our big guys work with Peja, they are inside and can kick it to Peja on the perimeter, or they can play a two man game with him and set a pick to pop Peja free. Bibby can't do any of that. In order for him to get the ball consistently to Peja given his size and position on the floor he'd have to be skipping the ball around the perimeter. Not our offense, nor a very good option.

you guys are blowing my head off, i was entirely unaware of this,

well, i get to watch the game tomorrow night, i'll pay attention to it then.

piksi

Hall of Famer
fakie said:
you guys are blowing my head off, i was entirely unaware of this,

well, i get to watch the game tomorrow night, i'll pay attention to it then.
We can open a separate thread just to observe this "phenomena." Would be interesting.

Bricklayer said:
Four notes:

1) Peja does not pass the ball as a rule. He is not a bad passer when he chooses to. But he is essentially a "selfish" offensive player. I put that word in parenthesis because it is just his game -- he creates offense for himself, not others. But the fact remains, when he gets the ball his goal is to find a way to shoot it. Thus you can't run any offense through him until you are ready for the shot to go up.
2) Bibby normally only has the ball early in the possession. Then he hands it off to one of the big guys. From that point onward the offense normally runs through Webb or Miller, and Bibby himself is now basically a scorer.
3) Combine those two things and you have a situation where Bibby can't give Peja the ball very often at the beginning of the possession without the shot going up too early or the possession bogging down. And by the time it gets to the point in the possession where you would normally want Peja to have it, Bibby no longer has the ball in his hands except as a shooter.
4) Bibby is also not a drive and kick PG. He's primarily a shooter, with some sneaky ability to get to the hoop. But he rarely slices to the hoop and kicks out to somebody else on the perimeter. Which makes it tough for him to feed Peja. When our big guys work with Peja, they are inside and can kick it to Peja on the perimeter, or they can play a two man game with him and set a pick to pop Peja free. Bibby can't do any of that. In order for him to get the ball consistently to Peja given his size and position on the floor he'd have to be skipping the ball around the perimeter. Not our offense, nor a very good option.
i agree with all your points.. very well said..

i have noticed that bibby almost always passes to webb 1st, and i always understood it the way you explained it.. i don't think there's anything personal about it at all..

piksi

Hall of Famer
sloter said:
All very good points, Bricklayer. Now try to rationalize what Bobby Jackson does. Good luck ;)
Well, there has not been a shot invented yet that BJax did not like it. Same goes for Pedja. The only difference is that BJax is technically supposed to be a PG which he is not. I have yet to see him run a play. (I slightly exaggarated to make a point).

He always tries to destroy the theory in which 'limited playing time means limited amount of FGAs." Considering our bench at the moment - he does not have much choice.

when we have Bobby, Bibby, Pedja and CW - we nead at least 2 balls to make everybody somewhat satisfied because some of the players like to keep it for a while (CW and BJax) and all of them like to shoot very much. Maybe there should be a rule change to allow certain teams to play with 2 balls. There are many players one many teams in the NBA who are guilty of that:eek:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Brick you are dead on. Any analysis of ball distribution needs to focus on the over all team play and the spesific palys the team runs. To simply say "Bibby or Bobby do not pass to Pedja" is simply naive and ignores the Kings play. Hey folks I love Pedja as much and anoyne (ok maybe not as much as SOME people) and I think one of the keys IS to get the ball to Pedja as much as possible. That being said he is not the guy you wnat to get the ball to with 10 on the shot clock... you will NEVER find the open man that way. But he IS the guy you want to BE the open man wiht 2 left. ;)

Bricklayer said:
Four notes:

4) Bibby is also not a drive and kick PG. He's primarily a shooter, with some sneaky ability to get to the hoop. But he rarely slices to the hoop and kicks out to somebody else on the perimeter. Which makes it tough for him to feed Peja.
Don't you think that is something that Bibby should work on? As you mentioned, Bibby does have the ability to drive to the hoop, even if it is not necassarily athletic, instead rather deceptive. I've seen Peja a ton of times just waiting for the ball at the 3 point line in this scenario. I think especially with Bibby's vision he should be able to spot Peja and dish it to him if the defense collapses on him while he drives to the hoop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
The only difference is that BJax is technically supposed to be a PG which he is not.
Actually, Bobby is a shooting guard utilized as a back-up PG.

when we have Bobby, Bibby, Pedja and CW - we nead at least 2 balls to make everybody somewhat satisfied because some of the players like to keep it for a while (CW and BJax) and all of them like to shoot very much. Maybe there should be a rule change to allow certain teams to play with 2 balls. There are many players one many teams in the NBA who are guilty of that:eek:
Word.

Bricklayer said:
Four notes:

Exactly. It's basically our offense and the spacing/position of our players that creates this image of favoritism. .

As far as Bobby J., his role is to be the energy, and scoring punch off the bench. Sometimes he takes that title a bit too literal. He should remember that passing the ball to a teammate can be more effective sometimes than forcing a shot up just for roles sake.

I would like to see Bobby and Songaila start developing some chemistry together. Just like Brad and Songaila seem to be meshing well together when they are both on the floor. At least that's what I got from the Denver game.