Peja Prepares to Stay in Sacramento for the Long Haul

Didn't see this posted anywhere on the board, so lock it if it's a repost.

Sacramento swingman Peja Stojakovic hasn't publicly rescinded his trade demand, but there are indications that he is preparing to remain in Sacramento for the long haul.

According to the Sacramento Bee, Stojakovic has taken his home off the market and is helping his mother, Branka, shop for a place to live in the area.

He's also been seen having long, friendly conversations with teammate Chris Webber. Webber's post-playoff critique of unnamed teammates last spring was thought to be one reason Stojakovic asked to be traded. Also contributing to Peja's displeasure was the departure of Vlade Divac to the Lakers.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=3830656','61'

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The story from the Bee was posted several days ago, but I can't find it now...

The important thing is that the team is getting their act together, and as they do so, people like Chad Ford look more and more foolish for their insistence of personal rifts that were going to cause the team to implode.

GO KINGS!!!

happy to hear that.

i hope this is a realiable source and peja's not changing his mind anymore....

my heart can't take it if he changes again..........

CokeBee said:
Sorry for those people who were interested in Peja's house :p
I remember Brad (who's a neighbor of Pedja) said that he never saw a for sale sign at Pedja's house. So that's another realiable source!

That is the best news that I have heard, regarding the Kings, all year.

Chris needs to apologize and continue what he is doing. I'll bet he did, and I bet he will.

Bobby is cool no matter what he says. But that said, he should be very cautious of criticizing Peja's attitude given the Grant Napear bullpucky that happened during the playoffs. Too frigging much jaw-flapping has occurred.

I believe strongly that Doug Christie has assumed the role of Vlade on this team, at least in some respects. He makes a point, a major effort, to feed Peja the ball. Peja is moving around to get open, jsut like when Vlade was here. Thank God. Allah be praised. It was great to see Doug working so hard to get Peja and others good shots. Doug Christie doesn't talk. He does.

I think Chris is pretty good about distributing the ball, at least better than was in the past. I suspect that this dust-up has casued him to treat Peja with a little more respect and deference.

I think, and I could be wrong, that Bibby prefers to go to Webber with the ball, and that he doesn't look to Peja as his first choice. I think he should try harder to find Peja. If someone has a more accurate assessment of that observation, I would like to be admonished.

Peja seems to work well with Songaila, and Songaila has an attitude like Doug Christie. I really like Songaila.

Peja is playing good defense, and is trying hard. Now he is shooting again. Redoubling his efforts on rebounding would appear to be an essential focus this year. This could be another All-Star season for the Serb.

I think Chris is pretty good about distributing the ball, at least better than was in the past. I suspect that this dust-up has casued him to treat Peja with a little more respect and deference
Chris is ranked #12 in the NBA in assists thus far this year....not bad for your PF;) His assist numbers are close to his career averages in Sac. You think Peja asking for a trade made Chris respect him more? Or are you saying you think it made Chris treat him more gently?

Kingsgurl said:
Chris is ranked #12 in the NBA in assists thus far this year....not bad for your PF;) His assist numbers are close to his career averages in Sac. You think Peja asking for a trade made Chris respect him more? Or are you saying you think it made Chris treat him more gently?
I think Chris finally understands that an effective leader must treat fellow players amd coaches with respect. He knows that he was wrong (sic, immature) to mouth-off to the public about Peja and Vlade. Chris even knows that Peja is still the best shooter on the team. He knows that with more screens, and the ball more often, Peja will improve the Kings' chances of winning games. When Vlade left, Peja lost a fantastic ball-feeder and team leader. Chris, Bobby, and Doug are correcting that problem ASAP.

To be honest, I don't think Webber necessarily understands anything much better than before. That is both praise and criticism. From my view, he has always tried to do the right thing, and sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not. Right now, giving Stojakovic special attention is the right thing, but that is something he always would have done. He has never seemed to have a problem communicating and reaching out to others on the team. He's never struck me as the type of player that other players don't like on a personal level. He needed to make the extra effort to make sure the team didn't lose Peja completely, and he did that. It's nothing new or surprising, though.

I am pleased with how things are playing out so far with Stojakovic. I think it will be awhile before he rescinds his trade demand, if he ever does, but I also think that the team might be able to get over that mental hurdle that has kept them struggling since late last season.

VF21 said:
The story from the Bee was posted several days ago, but I can't find it now...

The important thing is that the team is getting their act together, and as they do so, people like Chad Ford look more and more foolish for their insistence of personal rifts that were going to cause the team to implode.

GO KINGS!!!
here's the link to the post :)

"Additionally, there has been a dramatic thaw in Stojakovic's once-chilly relationship with Webber. The two forwards, noticeably estranged during the opening weeks of camp, now engage in lengthy, playful conversations and often are seated together on the bench -- in no small measure because of Webber's concerted effort to soothe his younger teammate's bruised feelings.

Stojakovic, who in fact took his Granite Bay home off the market several weeks ago, recently has been helping his mother, Branka, search for a house in the area. "

quick dog said:

Chris needs to apologize and continue what he is doing. I'll bet he did, and I bet he will.

Bobby is cool no matter what he says. But that said, he should be very cautious of criticizing Peja's attitude given the Grant Napear bullpucky that happened during the playoffs. Too frigging much jaw-flapping has occurred.

I believe strongly that Doug Christie has assumed the role of Vlade on this team, at least in some respects. He makes a point, a major effort, to feed Peja the ball. Peja is moving around to get open, jsut like when Vlade was here. Thank God. Allah be praised. It was great to see Doug working so hard to get Peja and others good shots. Doug Christie doesn't talk. He does.

I think Chris is pretty good about distributing the ball, at least better than was in the past. I suspect that this dust-up has casued him to treat Peja with a little more respect and deference.

I think, and I could be wrong, that Bibby prefers to go to Webber with the ball, and that he doesn't look to Peja as his first choice. I think he should try harder to find Peja. If someone has a more accurate assessment of that observation, I would like to be admonished.

Peja seems to work well with Songaila, and Songaila has an attitude like Doug Christie. I really like Songaila.

Peja is playing good defense, and is trying hard. Now he is shooting again. Redoubling his efforts on rebounding would appear to be an essential focus this year. This could be another All-Star season for the Serb.
Quite frankly, I think its sad that any of this would have to happen. This is professional sports team, and they shouldn't have to baby a player because he is feeling unloved. That being said, I could care less who likes or respects who as long as we are winning. I don't like or respect everyone that I deal with on a daily basis, but am I getting any special attention?

quick dog said:

IMO I don't think that Bibby prefers to go to Webber with the ball over Peja. The way how the offense seems to run on most possessions is that Bibby will bring the ball across half court and pass it to one of the big men first. Then that is when everyone else starts moving and cutting. Now on the times that Bibby gets the ball back and doesn't pass it to Peja for a shot, I guess you could fault him for that. So if you're basing what you said on the fact that he doesn't pass Peja the ball first, it isnt his fault. But if you're talking about later on in the offensive set, you also might want to consider how the defense is playing Peja and if Peja is still moving without the ball. If Bibby doesn't think he's open, I doubt he'll pass it because he's a smart PG that doesn't really make bad or dumb passes. Also, a lot of Bibby's assists go to Miller as well. This goes back to what I said about him dumping the ball off to a big man first.

This is just what I have observed.

ReinadelosReys said:
Quite frankly, I think its sad that any of this would have to happen. This is professional sports team, and they shouldn't have to baby a player because he is feeling unloved. That being said, I could care less who likes or respects who as long as we are winning. I don't like or respect everyone that I deal with on a daily basis, but am I getting any special attention?
Have you ever had to lead a group of individuals?

Leaders seldom have the luxury or ignoring personal idiosyncrasies of subordinates and peers. Being hostile and arrogant with others never helps. What might seem like a logical statement to one person might be perceived to be a grave insult to another. Getting along with a group of people is tough enough, but getting big things done, like winning an NBA Championship, is really difficult.

quick dog said:
Have you ever had to lead a group of individuals?

Leaders seldom have the luxury or ignoring personal idiosyncrasies of subordinates and peers. Being hostile and arrogant with others never helps. What might seem like a logical statement to one person might be perceived to be a grave insult to another. Getting along with a group of people is tough enough, but getting big things done, like winning an NBA Championship, is really difficult.
But that's two different thi---you know what, I guess a lot of my opinions are based on the fact that I thought Peja was wrong in the first place of even asked to be traded. I can't asked to be traded if I think I am being disrespected. Can I call that to the attention of the higher ups? Sure, but I just can't asked to be moved. If people want to liken the NBA to other professional organization or settings, then that has to go straight across the board.

BBallGrl15 said:
IMO I don't think that Bibby prefers to go to Webber with the ball over Peja. The way how the offense seems to run on most possessions is that Bibby will bring the ball across half court and pass it to one of the big men first. Then that is when everyone else starts moving and cutting. Now on the times that Bibby gets the ball back and doesn't pass it to Peja for a shot, I guess you could fault him for that. So if you're basing what you said on the fact that he doesn't pass Peja the ball first, it isnt his fault. But if you're talking about later on in the offensive set, you also might want to consider how the defense is playing Peja and if Peja is still moving without the ball. If Bibby doesn't think he's open, I doubt he'll pass it because he's a smart PG that doesn't really make bad or dumb passes. Also, a lot of Bibby's assists go to Miller as well. This goes back to what I said about him dumping the ball off to a big man first.

This is just what I have observed.
i agree, bibby's always been pretty professional, IMO. i don't think he would single out any player and not feed them the ball. i think he are about the kings winning more than personal feuds, if any.

His play last night was exceptional. This could be a sign of a 'making up' sort of thing. Peja needs to be the catalyst for this team, along with Bibby and Miller, for years to come...I see the Maloofs, as soon as they get this arena thing hammered out, taking care of him for the rest of his career, hopefully.

quick dog said:
I think, and I could be wrong, that Bibby prefers to go to Webber with the ball, and that he doesn't look to Peja as his first choice. I think he should try harder to find Peja. If someone has a more accurate assessment of that observation, I would like to be admonished. .
Just a couple of games ago I made a point of telling my wife that it seems that Bibby rareley passes the ball to Peja. So we started watching for exactly that and its true. However, because of the way they are spaced Bibby is usually on the other side of the court. Still, I picked up on that too.

Elektrik said:
Just a couple of games ago I made a point of telling my wife that it seems that Bibby rareley passes the ball to Peja. So we started watching for exactly that and its true. However, because of the way they are spaced Bibby is usually on the other side of the court. Still, I picked up on that too.
Yup, I agree with QD and you on this one. Bibby definitely loves to play the one-two with Webb A LOT. I certainly don't think its a personal thing as someone mentioned, it's just that it is his preference. Most of Bibby's assists and plays come off penetrating, drawing the double and dishing back to Webb for the 15 footer. Last game I left a brief comment saying that I'd much rather see that play done by Bibby and Brad instead of Webb. Brad would execute those plays at a much better rate than Webb (his jumper is better than Webb's from ANYWHERE on the floor...heck, I'd go as far as saying that his mid-range jumper can challenge Peja's).

Doug and Peja however don't seem to have any trouble finding each other.