Otto vs Durant, Why Not Both?

We can add Otto Porter when the Wizards fire sale occurs as soon as this weekend. December 15th is when free agent signees can be traded. We need an upgrade to check the longish scoring wings in the West to become favorites to make the playoffs, maybe nab ourselves home court in the first round . :p Shump and Boggy are formidable defenders but often give up 3-4 inches. Jackson doesn't have the physicality, Bjelica doesn't have the foot speed. Otto Porter would make life far more difficult against these main scorers whilst improving our half court efficiency (bottom 3rd in league) and league best three shooting. He's the piece that completes the rebuild. With D-Fox ahead of schedule and Bagley contributing soon and often, we may as well add this piece now. Then these guys won't have it so easy against us:

- Ingram (Lakers)
- James (Lakers)
- Durant (Warriors)
- Mirotic (Pelicans)
- George (Thunder)
- Harris (Clips)
- Luka (Mavs)
- Barnes (Mavs)
- Gay (Spurs)

Only the Blazers and Nuggets don't have the scoring wings you need to worry about with their more guard-oriented attacks (Harris and Murray, Lillard and McCollum), but Porter would be effective against these teams too as a help defender dropping low on the post or closing out to shooters on rotations. We could use his length and anticipation to improve our 19th ranked defense.

We don't want to have to rely every night on offense to win. The more ways you can find to win, the more ways you will win. The win in Chicago was significant because we held them to 35 points in the second half. Yes that team was in teetering psychologically and yes we got hot from distance. But the 30 point swing was instigated through our cohesion and hustle defensively. This type of half can occur more often with Porter. But let's not get too excited. If the Wizards don't want to concede to our low ball demands (say Koufos, Yogi and a 2nd rounder) that is fine. They can pay their luxury tax while we keep our space for KD this summer. :p

KD went out of his way at the top of the latest Bill Simmons to compliment the Kings. He loves D-Fox. He said nice things about Willie. That doesn't mean he's coming here, but we are on his radar. For negotiation purposes it doesn't matter if KD to SAC is a pipe dream, it can be used as feigned form of leverage. We have our sights elsewhere and are pleased with our team as constructed. Perhaps you can twist our arms into taking a bloated contract off your hands. That's the approximate attitude to take, we are doing Washington a favor. The Kings negotiator should drop the not so subtle hint that we have our eyes on bigger fish (Tobias Harris included) so no need to rush into anything. This is how you keep Willie and Bjelica instead of giving them away in a huff. Even if you don't want to commit to Willie long-term, you can still keep him as trading chip down the road.

Let's be honest too, name me another team super eager to take Porter without sending bad money back? Sure the Bulls would trade him for Jabari Parker, the Wolves would take him for Andrew Wiggins, but that doesn't help the Wizards cap space. Other teams like Clippers, Knicks and Lakers want to keep their space for Durant. The Durant Drama with Green helps our negotiating position, since the conventional sentiment is KD is leaving. If Durant staying with the Warriors beyond this year was more likely, other teams may be more inclined to acquire Otto, a consolation prize that takes you out of the courting phase before it begins.

KD will never be able to get out from under the Curry Shadow. When he wins his his third title, his work is done there. No more individual acclaim or legacy will be available. Winning it all is expected not praised. His only challenge left his to take a new team of his own to the Promised Land, perhaps knocking of the Warriors in the process. That team could be ours as readily as any other.

Continuing to win games helps our negotiating position with the Wizards because we are less inclined to do something rash because our playoff positioning is not slipping away. This is something you subtly convey during negotiations, that you are happy with your progress and competitiveness with or without a deal. All this is to say if and when the deal for Otto is announced everyone should be thrilled because our FO maintained their wits about them. We will have negotiated from a position of strength. The bottom line whether the team is doing great or not, a prudent GM is always looking for ways to improve. If we don't acquire Otto, it will not be for lack of trying. They just should not try too hard. They shouldn't have to.

The Wizards may counter by asking for Boggy or Buddy in a trade for Otto. In fact, it would surprise me if they didn't. What do you do then besides hang up the phone? You reassert your position calmly and politely, citing the aforementioned factors. They you make another low ball offer but this time you put a deadline on it. 24 hours to accept or reject, it is the best we can do. Nothing personal we just need to move on if compromise cannot occur. Then just before the deadline is reached and the Wizards are looking at the pending tax bill and their woeful performance, they may very well concede to your terms.

What if they are still being uncooperative? Again, would not be a shocker! If I put myself in the shoes of the Wizards GM, and think about whom would I want to pluck off our roster? I am not excited by Willie. I don't know what I am going to get except minimal resistance at the rim and the occasional lob dunk. His defensive lapses to go with Wall's defensive lapses amount to a lot of lapses. Jackson is soft. Williams is nice but raw. Yogi is a possibility. Skal is a possibility. But two guys unable to crack the rotation in SAC has me worried.

Coming to my senses knowing I am not getting Buddy or Boggy, the guy I would want settle for to spread the floor for Beal and Wall is Bjelica. The Kings should anticipate this is. This is whom the Wizards will target. They should not offer him. He's cheap and good. He's a professional. When he gets hot he's a stone-faced killer. I would hate to lose Bjelica but Otto replaces a lot of what he does. He is the superior as the defender and can be equal as a passer and shooter. Bjelica closes the deal if there is no other way. This also opens a slot for Durant this off-season, two combo forwards who can kill the league with their versatility and skill. In this dream scenario, not only do we become immediate playoff contenders, we become championship contenders for the next 3-5 years.

Otto vs Durant, why not both? :p

Last edited:
I always like to give Blob an A or in this case a like for effort alone. He puts himself, I believe hes a guy, out there regardless if it wins any popularity contest.
Back to the gist of his post, yeah to have both Otto and Durant next year would be sic, but Fox is the engine that makes this team run.

Last edited:
I was playing through a scenario where we get Porter (trade for at the deadline) and Hayward (trade during the off-season).

You’d be gambling a bit with Hayward but the gamble would mean you’re not giving up much to get him. I would think we’d only be giving up guys like WCS, Labissiere, and Jackson to get those two guys (while giving them value back with cap flexibility). Then you have a roster like:

PG - Fox / Mason / Ferrell
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Hayward
PF - Porter / Bjelica
C - Bagley / Giles

Hayward and Porter are two unselfish, high IQ players. Hayward is probably the 3rd best player on a contender and Porter is likely the 4th best. Then you just have to hope between Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Giles, & Bagley you can find that #1 and #2 guy.

I was playing through a scenario where we get Porter (trade for at the deadline) and Hayward (trade during the off-season).

You’d be gambling a bit with Hayward but the gamble would mean you’re not giving up much to get him. I would think we’d only be giving up guys like WCS, Labissiere, and Jackson to get those two guys (while giving them value back with cap flexibility). Then you have a roster like:

PG - Fox / Mason / Ferrell
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Hayward
PF - Porter / Bjelica
C - Bagley / Giles

Hayward and Porter are two unselfish, high IQ players. Hayward is probably the 3rd best player on a contender and Porter is likely the 4th best. Then you just have to hope between Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Giles, & Bagley you can find that #1 and #2 guy.
Just have to make sure ownership is ready to pony up. Hayward and Porter run out before we have to pay Fox, but that 2020 season we'll have 34 mil Hayward, 25 mil Porter and somewhere in the $35-40 mil range for Buddy and Bogi together.

Love the idea though. It's using our cap space effienctly while all our main core pieces are still cheap. We wouldn't come close to the potential talent of Porter/Hayward in free agency. The floor spacing would be absolutely unreal for Fox drives.

Just have to make sure ownership is ready to pony up. Hayward and Porter run out before we have to pay Fox, but that 2020 season we'll have 34 mil Hayward, 25 mil Porter and somewhere in the $35-40 mil range for Buddy and Bogi together.

Love the idea though. It's using our cap space effienctly while all our main core pieces are still cheap. We wouldn't come close to the potential talent of Porter/Hayward in free agency. The floor spacing would be absolutely unreal for Fox drives.
Agreed.

They are overpaid players who we should be able to get for minimal assets and cap relief. However, them being overpaid doesn't devalue them all that much for us considering...
  1. We have so many rookie contracts, and they will be expiring at a time that allows the owner to avoid a huge tax bill
  2. We likely wouldn't be able to sign any better veterans in free agency with our cap space
Porter & Hayward would be great locker-room veterans who would fit really well with our culture. On the floor, you're adding two high IQ, unselfish players who are going to make the right play and contribute to team ball. Like you mentioned, they are also good/great 3pt shooters to provide that much more space for Fox & Bagley. Below are the catch & shoot 3pt%'s year over year across our perimeter players. That's some serious spacing.

1544664703702.png

KD went out of his way at the top of the latest Bill Simmons to compliment the Kings. He loves D-Fox. He said nice things about Willie. That doesn't mean he's coming here, but we are on his radar.
While I believe KD is staying put, if somehow he does enter FA his effusive praise of the KINGS shouldn't be completely dismissed.

For a player likely looking to lead his next team to a title rather than just being a big piece of an already established champion, the KINGS, as you said, most certainly seem to be on his radar. More than that, the only glaring hole where the KINGS don't have a young potential star in place just happens to be the position KD plays. I'm sure he's recognized that.

Sure, it's still a pipe dream. But if the KINGS can remain near or even above .500 in the rough and tough WCF by the end of the season, they will have proven that they could be a bonefide contender with a player of KD's caliber added to the roster.