Otto Porter Max contract offer now moot

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Regardless. It's a bad look for Sac. Nets are far more dysfunctional. I am curious as to what transpired during the meeting with Vivek/Vlade that turned Otto off.
Nets are the definition of a dumpster fire.
Bull. It is not a bad look for Sacramento. You're jumping straight off assumption cliff into conclusion pond. You have NO factual information to suspect that Vlsade/Vivek did anything wrong.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have to say this is disappointing. One thing is going back to Wash. Another, is accepting an agreement from the Nets?! Are you kidding me.
It's not a done deal to Brooklyn yet. If the Wizards match, which they've said they will, Porter remains in Washington.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is something I mentioned on twitter. Once the Kings go over the cap, and they could do that by signing Porter before signing Bogdanovic, they become eligible for the MLE, which they could then use to sign Bogdanovic. More than one way to skin a cat...

My greatest fear now is the Capt will fly in and explain why I'm wrong...
Well, it's moot now, but we couldn't have done that. We don't have a full MLE this year, because you only have a full MLE when you stay above the cap. We went below the cap to sign, well, all of these guys so the most we will have is the room exception, if we spend up to the cap.

Look at the bright side. This will tie up the nets salary cap for the next 4 days, while the kings were able to spend their cap space.

I think it came down to location for Porter. He played at Georgetown, so I assume he is from the east coast.

I also assume the wizards will match, but if they don't, Porter is going to be on a terrible team, for the next 4 years!

I feel comfortable with the roster as is and am hoping JaKarr Sampson rocks summer league giving us another promising option at SF.
I don't really know Sampson game but understand he has good size/length for a SF and is know as a savvy rebounder.

Regardless. It's a bad look for Sac. Nets are far more dysfunctional. I am curious as to what transpired during the meeting with Vivek/Vlade that turned Otto off.
Nets are the definition of a dumpster fire.
The Brooklyn Nets are not a dumpster fire due to anything current GM Sean Marks or head coach Kenny Atkinson have done. Since those two were hired, the Nets have been slowly doing their best to dig that franchise out of the impact crater left by Billy King.

Considering Kings fans can relate to the difficulty of shedding a negative stigma caused by past front office executives, it is unfair to perpetuate the one for the Nets.

No, they did everything right. Even Vivek traveled across the country. The red carpet was rolled out..
yeah some people are just short a few braincells.

This is totally a NY thing. Lifestyle over substance.

Kids not a winner. If he wanted to win he'd be here.

I just got back from Brooklyn. Its aint anything spectacular.

I don't think we can really say he'd be a winner if would have chosen us over Brooklyn. I mean, we've been a complete mess of a franchise outside the golden years with Vlade, Webber, etc.

The wizards matched the nets offer to Porter. Now the nets salary cap space will be locked up for up to 4 more days while porter reports for physical and everything is cleared with the NBA front offices.

Looks like we dodged a bullet when Porter chose the Nets max offer over ours! ;)
Are we sure he chose the nets over us? It seems the most likely scenario but there is another scenario where we rescinded ours because zbo and Hill agreed to terms.

Not that it matters.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Are we sure he chose the nets over us? It seems the most likely scenario but there is another scenario where we rescinded ours because zbo and Hill agreed to terms.

Not that it matters.
Actually, that seems unlikely to me. We still could have given out the Hill contract (which I think was the time-crucial one) with the offer to Porter signed. We'd have had to wait on Z-Bo, but I simply cannot imagine that we would pull an offer to Porter that he might have signed in order to lock up the aging Randolph. I really don't imagine anybody else had a similar offer out there for Randolph anyway. I suspect Randolph would have waited.

Come on :). I lived in Brooklyn for some time. It is a great and fun place - very hipsterish now but that's what millennials usually like. It might not be as touristy as Manhattan but I personally liked that part.

After reading up on Brooklyn's offer I'm not surprised that he signed it. Obviously the money was that max but the payment structure was definitely to his benefit. I think he wanted to stay in Washington but the Wizards wanted to explore their options. In the end he gets the best deal he could find and stays in DC.