Otto Porter Max contract offer now moot

not a big fan of giving him the max in case other players in the future need to get paid also. I guess the Kings could trade him with 2 years on his deal if it came down to him not being worth a max.

not a big fan of giving him the max in case other players in the future need to get paid also. I guess the Kings could trade him with 2 years on his deal if it came down to him not being worth a max.
You make a good point, if he doesn't play up to par, he may actually be a liability, but that's a supposition. Vlade is gambling with cap-space here. They think Porter is an All-Star in the making and are willing to pay him as such. On the Wizards board, I'd read some grumblings that Porter can disappear in games, which is a bit disconcerting.

You make a good point, if he doesn't play up to par, he may actually be a liability, but that's a supposition. Vlade is gambling with cap-space here. They think Porter is an All-Star in the making and are willing to pay him as such. On the Wizards board, I'd read some grumblings that Porter can disappear in games, which is a bit disconcerting.
Playing with two ball dominant guards can lead to that. I think his game would actually fit perfectly within at least the type of system we ran last year.

Fox has the ability to penetrate and create for himself but can also be a distributor. I see us playing a team style of ball and Porter shows high IQ and could be a part of that system.

To me he's an Alex English type of player but with better defense (not that English was particularly lacking, just not all that defensive of an era). Extremely efficient scorer, very good all around player, high IQ. Alex English was one of the best shot selection forwards ever.

Playing with two ball dominant guards can lead to that. I think his game would actually fit perfectly within at least the type of system we ran last year.

Fox has the ability to penetrate and create for himself but can also be a distributor. I see us playing a team style of ball and Porter shows high IQ and could be a part of that system.

To me he's an Alex English type of player but with better defense (not that English was particularly lacking, just not all that defensive of an era). Extremely efficient scorer, very good all around player, high IQ. Alex English was one of the best shot selection forwards ever.
I like your enthusiasm, but English was a great scorer. That can't be said about Porter at this point. Porter is one of the more efficient scorers in the league, but can't score like English did. What makes Porter good is that he is also a very good defender. I like 2-way players.

Otto Porter so fits what we are trying to build here in Sacramento, Tough d, Good shooter, nice from 3 point and a great work ethic along with a good young man who reads his bible every day. We have so many young men that fit this mold that the chemistry should be strong and this team should all be great friends off the court as well. Hope Washington is bluffing

I would be absolutely thrilled if Washington is bluffing but it would be dumb of them not to match the offer.

While we have made the max offer, Porter is yet to accept it and is meeting with two other teams who would no doubt offer the same amount. I am hoping that we are creative with our offer so that Washington things twice about matching the offer. Construct it in a way that makes it troublesome for them. Teams have done this sort of thing before. I think Brooklyn did it with both Crabbe and Johnson offers last season.

I would be absolutely thrilled if Washington is bluffing but it would be dumb of them not to match the offer.

While we have made the max offer, Porter is yet to accept it and is meeting with two other teams who would no doubt offer the same amount. I am hoping that we are creative with our offer so that Washington things twice about matching the offer. Construct it in a way that makes it troublesome for them. Teams have done this sort of thing before. I think Brooklyn did it with both Crabbe and Johnson offers last season.
Troublesome how?

I like your enthusiasm, but English was a great scorer. That can't be said about Porter at this point. Porter is one of the more efficient scorers in the league, but can't score like English did. What makes Porter good is that he is also a very good defender. I like 2-way players.
It took English till his 5th year in the league, aged 26, and being traded to Denver before he averaged over 20 pts a game.

Until then he was a 14-16 pt. scorer on very good shooting. If Porter goes to another team he's immediately an 18-20 pt scorer at age 24. There's plenty of room for growth. It's just the closest comparison I could come up with. Alex English but better D.

You're welcome for the enthusiasm. :D

For those not all that familiar with Otto's game, check those vids out.

Essentially he earned that max contract during the season and nailed the coffin shut with his playoff performances as far as I'm concerned.

The 4 key's to him being worth the max are;

Defense. 3pt shooting. Ability to put the ball on the floor and that he just turned 24.

His sell is very easy compared to many of the players getting that sort of pay this summer, IMO.

It took English till his 5th year in the league, aged 26, and being traded to Denver before he averaged over 20 pts a game.

Until then he was a 14-16 pt. scorer on very good shooting. If Porter goes to another team he's immediately an 18-20 pt scorer at age 24. There's plenty of room for growth. It's just the closest comparison I could come up with. Alex English but better D.

You're welcome for the enthusiasm. :D
I'll say this, if Porter becomes a scorer of English's caliber no one will question him getting a max contract.

Why the hell are people valuing Porter solely on his freaking scoring?!

Last time I checked you needed to play on both offense and defense and Porter is a good offensive player and a heck of a defender.

As Bruski said a line up of Fox - Temple - Porter - Skal - WCS could absolutely switch everything and dominate at the defensive end.

gunks

Hall of Famer
As Bruski said a line up of Fox - Temple - Porter - Skal - WCS could absolutely switch everything and dominate at the defensive end.
Whether or not we land Porter, I love that this is the vision for the team. We haven't seen defense around here since Golden Era!

And Joerger as coach?! Our defense last season was "meh" at best, but I expect it to improve a lot next year with another offseason of preparation and more seasoning for the kids.

I'll say this, if Porter becomes a scorer of English's caliber no one will question him getting a max contract.
To be fair English was a legendary scorer and top 50 all time player. Porter likely won't develop offensively quite to that level, but you can still just see oodles of potential there.

I can see him in his prime being a 22-24 pt scorer with great D and a few all star seasons.

(Remember in English's era teams averaged about ten more pts/game than now.)

Last edited:
Whether or not we land Porter, I love that this is the vision for the team. We haven't seen defense around here since Golden Era!

And Joerger as coach?! Our defense last season was "meh" at best, but I expect it to improve a lot next year with another offseason of preparation and more seasoning for the kids.
I expect Washington to match IF Porter does choose to sign our offer sheet but if they don't it would be a heck of a play by the Kings.

To be fair English was a legendary scorer and top 50 all time player. Porter likely won't develop offensively quite to that level, but you can still just see oodles of potential there.

I can see him in his prime being a 22-24 pt scorer with great D and a few all star season.

(Remember in English's era teams averaged about ten more pts/game than now.)
Now with all due respects, this is just silly talk. Porter will not average 22-24pts in his prime for as long as his bum points to the ground. He is a VERY good player but essentially as a 22-24 ppg scorer he is a genuine #1 option of a very good team.

Now with all due respects, this is just silly talk. Porter will not average 22-24pts in his prime for as long as his bum points to the ground. He is a VERY good player but essentially as a 22-24 ppg scorer he is a genuine #1 option of a very good team.
His TS% is up in Klay Thompson territory. He played with two of the most ball dominant guards in the game.

Put him in a system that plays to his strengths and then come talk to me. If we get him he puts up 20 ppg next year. Heild puts up 18. Skal 15. Bogdanovich 13. There's your scoring.

We win 45 games.

The dead weight has been cleared.

I'm fairly confident that Washington will match the offer. Now, with that said...

I love Otto. I loved him in the draft, and I like him just as much now. He's one of those "intangibles" type of guys.

He's the guy who does all the right things that don't necessarily always show up in a box score. A glue-guy with upside.

If we were to snag him - oh boy how pumped I would be! I've never been more excited to be a Kings fan.

His TS% is up in Klay Thompson territory. He played with two of the most ball dominant guards in the game.

Put him in a system that plays to his strengths and then come talk to me. If we get him he puts up 20 ppg next year. Heild puts up 18. Skal 15. Bogdanovich 13. There's your scoring.

We win 45 games.

In the east, maybe

I don't see them not matching. If they think it's too much, they can sign him and trade him next year and have a much better return. No way they let him walk for free.

Never watched Alex English so wouldn't know (before my time).....I agree about Fox running the show and being a distributor - this is what they will strive for on offense - a drive and kick player to shooters.

We win 45 games.

45 games? That means playoff bound most likely.

45 games? That means playoff bound most likely.
I said playoffs the second I heard we were targeting Porter.

Getting Porter will likely land us Zbo if we want him. There's your up and coming playoff squad with some tough vets.

Young emerging star. Huge basket of talented 1/2 year players, a few grizzly vets that can get you a bucket when you need one and can steady the ship.

This is clearly what Vlade has been angling for.

Last edited:
Wizards will match and we (Kings) know it too. They are capped out and cannot replace him essentially forcing them to pay him franchise player money.

He is not worth THAT much money but he is definately not a bum. He is the ideal player for today's NBA and could still improve his game. He can do a little bit of everything and fits anywhere with any lineup.

Regardless of weather we somehow land him or not I really like the direction the team is going. Long mobile defenders has been the Warriors staple(Best D in the NBA) and with the positionless wave Porter is very valuable. He is basically a super 3-D player with room to grow.