Otto Porter Max contract offer now moot

I love the idea that we can get a young talented player locked up for four years. 25 million is high but it's not completely unreasonable. Otto Porter has proven that he can play in the NBA. He was a third best player on a team that was good enough to go to the Eastern Conference Finals and missed it by just a few points.

If Harry Giles, Skal Labissiere, De'Aaron Fox, or any combination of two players currently on the team turn into Superstars or even borderline All-Stars, then he can grow with that team to make them into a real contender.

The third piece is sometimes the hardest to find because they have to be borderline All-Star talent but still willing to take a backseat to the superstars of the team. I thought Rudy could have been that for Sacramento but he didn't fit in a team oriented game which is a reason why IT, Cousins, Gay did not work. Porter seems to fit that third wheel perfectly

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
I have a good feeling about this one. I think the Wizards were bluffing.
If they weren't and they match they're in luxury tax category and they still have to sign players plus were hoping to be a free agent player next year. I absolutely love it either way.

If they match we could probably pick up Bojan on a one year with team option deal for two as well.

Is it possible for the Wizards to sign Porter for the max deal plus sign Bogdanovic to a good enough deal to make him stay?

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Is it possible for the Wizards to sign Porter for the max deal plus sign Bogdanovic to a good enough deal to make him stay?
Yes, but Porter will put them over the luxury tax so basically whatever they sign Bojan for is going to keep them over for a long time to come and cost them double and even more when they become repeat offenders.

lets see if he signs the offer before we even start hoping about Washington having to match. If we're going to spend in free agency though, this is the type of player to spend on.

Wiz will match and won't even blink. They've been preparing for this, see the Andrew Nicholson trade...

Also it's feasible that matching this contract could actually benefit the Wiz if they prefer to sign him for 4 years instead of 5..

The wiz are at 91M right now. 26M per for Porter = 117 (121M w/tax). Luxury tax starts at 113 so anything over that is taxed at 100%. So porter already costs them 30M per, next year at least.

Then to sign anyone else you're in Luxury tax mode and you can only sign your own players. So, sign Bojan at 8M, costs you 16. Now up to 137M of payroll expenses! That is severely eating into owner profits at that point, and I can imaging some minority owners not being very happy with that one bit.

It's a very restrictive place to be and you only want to be there if you are really pushing for a win now mode and you're sure the players you have can get you there. That is far from where the Wizards are. They are in a tough spot.

If there are errors in my stats/rules please correct.

Last edited:
Fine. Then we sign Bojan.
If the price is right I'm all for it. They'll need to bring in a SF who's big enough and fleet of foot enough to guard the West's top SF's though. A trial by fire of Justin Jackson and Bojan will go poorly, this is probably why they offered so much to Iguodala.

@ChrisBHaynes
ESPN Sources: Otto Porter Jr. is scheduling meetings with two more teams and then he'll decide which offer sheet to sign.

8:19 PM - 2 Jul 2017
Criticize how some of the players worked out, but let's not forget that Vlade seems to have a way of wooing FAs. Caron Butler, Marco, KK, etc.... those were all unexpectedly good signings for the Kings, especially for our scenario then. Our scenario is MUCH better now.

If Vlade can convince the best young coach in the league to leave a successful situation to come to the Kings of a year ago, he can convince Otto Porter to join the Kings of today.

The longer this goes on the more I think he signs our offer sheet and his agent puts pressure on the Wiz to let him go or at least a sign and trade.

@ChrisBHaynes
ESPN Sources: Otto Porter Jr. is scheduling meetings with two more teams and then he'll decide which offer sheet to sign.

8:19 PM - 2 Jul 2017
Nets and Hawks/Knicks? Still, wouldn't get too excited.. 33% he signs our sheet, and then a less chance it goes through with Washington. Just hopes this comes to a quick resolution, can't afford to have this out here too long while other options are open

The only reason for the Wiz to decide not to match is if they feel a Wall/Beal/Porter trio is not good enough to compete for a championship. Even still, hard to give up a 24 year old ascending player for nothing. Probably better to sign him, give it a go until the deadline and then if it's not working, trade him for a nice haul. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

The only reason for the Wiz to decide not to match is if they feel a Wall/Beal/Porter trio is not good enough to compete for a championship. Even still, hard to give up a 24 year old ascending player for nothing. Probably better to sign him, give it a go until the deadline and then if it's not working, trade him for a nice haul. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
The League is weird these days.

If Porter and his agent decide he wants to be in Sacramento, I think he'll be in Sacramento. Agents have a ridiculous amount of power.

It is confirmed :p

@chadfordinsider
As per resources Kings are front runners for Porter
Otto Porter Jr.‏@OttoPorter
That Vlade guy is very inspiring. Don't need to meet with any other teams. After reading the posts on Kingsfans.com, especially by The Hammer, I've made my decision. Sacramento here I come!
5:41 PM - 2 July 2017