On respecting people's names & posting reply habits (split from the Timberwolves [Game] thread}

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
^^^ Some of it, maybe even most of it is that. But also, there's a lot of people who simply can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of learning somebody's name. That and my personal (admittedly anecdotal) history means that I'm never willing to give anybody the benefit of the doubt that them misspelling someone's name isn't done intentionally as a sign of disrespect.

Except for @HndsmCelt. I've known him long enough to know that he don't mean anything buy it; he just has spelling issues. :p
so you believe that all these announcers and journalists are intentionally butchering names? what's the end game for them? I also have one other curious question and this isn't a slight at you just wondering why when you respond to someone you sometimes use the reply feature and other times you may simply respond after the comment you are responding to or do a @ sign or as in out case three up arrows.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
so you believe that all these announcers and journalists are intentionally butchering names? what's the end game for them?
Well, I'm not a telepath, so I'd rather not speak to intent, but I think that most teams provide media guides which include correct pronunciations, so if they're consistently getting the names wrong, it kind of feels like a choice. As for print journalists, if you can't take the time to track down the correct spelling... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In all honesty, most of my ire is directed at fans, anyway: Maybe I'm just not a hardcore enough sports person to have noticed to the contrary, but I find most announcers/journalists get it right or are at least making a good-faith effort. It's regular people who are most likely to intentionally mispronounce or misspell someone's name... Or just straight up not bother to learn it, and just call them, "the [X team] announcer," or "the [Y team] player."

I also have one other curious question and this isn't a slight at you just wondering why when you respond to someone you sometimes use the reply feature and other times you may simply respond after the comment you are responding to or do a @ sign or as in out case three up arrows.
My personal preference is to reply without using the reply feature, because I generally favor threads being more streamlined. That is also why I will avoid quoting a post that has embedded media: I will either parse the link or remove the embedded media entirely; call it a holdover from when I had to get by with s***ty connections and second-hand computers, and I could not abide long page load times. I will quote and/or '@' somebody in a thread where there are multiple conversations happening, or when replies are being posted so frequently that it's not clear who I'm replying to.

Did this stem from the joke I made about Reaves's name?

I initially pointed it out because I was guilty of doing the same a few days prior and he happened to have a challenge on the NBA 2k game, and I did a player search for "Reeves" and couldn't find him. At that point I realized everyone was making this error and thought it was hilarious because he had simultaneously been anointed a star thanks to a generous Lakers friendly whistle.

I am also going to take ownership that sometimes I think I am making a really quick joke to the post above mine so I don't bother quoting only to have 2-3 people post in front of me. Ah well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Did this stem from the joke I made about Reaves's name?
You can take "credit" for it if you'd like, but that's something that has been on my heart for a while, and your post was as much a flimsy pretense to lead into my remarks as anything else. But I probably rank getting somebody's name wrong higher up on the list of offenses than the average person, so take it for whatever you think it's worth.

I know I reffered to him as Austin Whoever. I can't be bothered to know who's on the ****ing lakers.
I get where you're coming from, but you're also lowkey proving my point: I don't even really disagree that the gd lakers are unworthy of respect, but it's still a bridge that I try to avoid crossing. Even when it comes to a player that I have active disdain for, I'll try to give them a derisive nickname that does not incorporate any part of their actual name (e.g. Big Sawfty), but I don't go around misspelling Towns' actual name.

You can take "credit" for it if you'd like, but that's something that has been on my heart for a while, and your post was as much a flimsy pretense to lead into my remarks as anything else. But I probably rank getting somebody's name wrong higher up on the list of offenses than the average person, so take it for whatever you think it's worth.
I wasn't trying to "take credit" just surprised a silly joke had legs at all when what I think is my best material goes unnoticed.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm not a telepath, so I'd rather not speak to intent, but I think that most teams provide media guides which include correct pronunciations, so if they're consistently getting the names wrong, it kind of feels like a choice. As for print journalists, if you can't take the time to track down the correct spelling... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In all honesty, most of my ire is directed at fans, anyway: Maybe I'm just not a hardcore enough sports person to have noticed to the contrary, but I find most announcers/journalists get it right or are at least making a good-faith effort. It's regular people who are most likely to intentionally mispronounce or misspell someone's name... Or just straight up not bother to learn it, and just call them, "the [X team] announcer," or "the [Y team] player."

My personal preference is to reply without using the reply feature, because I generally favor threads being more streamlined. That is also why I will avoid quoting a post that has embedded media: I will either parse the link or remove the embedded media entirely; call it a holdover from when I had to get by with s***ty connections and second-hand computers, and I could not abide long page load times. I will quote and/or '@' somebody in a thread where there are multiple conversations happening, or when replies are being posted so frequently that it's not clear who I'm replying to.
do you think it may have something to do with the media not being from a foreign country and therefore when learning the correct pronunciations you may get different ones until you hear it from the player himself?

as for your third paragraph, what second-hand computers did you grow up with?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
do you think it may have something to do with the media not being from a foreign country and therefore when learning the correct pronunciations you may get different ones until you hear it from the player himself?
That's a fair point but, again, that's what the media guide is supposed to be for.

as for your third paragraph, what second-hand computers did you grow up with?
"Grow up with?" I'm gonna be forty-eight in, like, six weeks; I didn't grow up with computers, lol!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That's a fair point but, again, that's what the media guide is supposed to be for.

"Grow up with?" I'm gonna be forty-eight in, like, six weeks; I didn't grow up with computers, lol!
it reminds me of when in high school or college, you are the only foreigner in class and everyone butchers your name because of spelling until they learn correct pronunciation.

growing up without computers is a blessing, forced you to entertain yourself in more creative ways