Omri or Rudy? (split)

I don't see anything that Gay is better than Casspi in...

3's? Casspi shoot 40% or more last year.
Slashing to the basket? Omri do it very efficiently.
Defense? Energy? what?

Give Casspi the same number of shots That Rudy gay takes every game...
And you will get more buckets, beside of more Energy and Effort and heart

The only difference is that Gay consider as a "star"
Stars there are only in the sky...

Happen Casspi would be backed by coach Dave... he could be a great starting lineup SF.
Let some other team to get the so average Rudy Gay... and get some good player as a replacement to help this team to reach for the Playoffs
With Gay it would be very difficult task to achieve.

Boogie is a huge Asset... and the only real "Star" in this team... even if he has an average day...
He has the biggst heart and he's putting a huge effort all the time... i would only replace him with Lebron... only!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Defense? Energy? what?

Happen Casspi would be backed by coach Dave... he could be a great starting lineup SF.
Let some other team to get the so average Rudy Gay... and get some good player as a replacement to help this team to reach for the Playoffs

Boogie is a huge Asset... and the only real "Star" in this team... even if he has an average day...
He has the biggst heart and he's putting a huge effort all the time... i would only replace him with Lebron... only!
Rudy can create his own shot. Omri can't. That's the basically the difference. Omri is a complimentary player and Rudy is a dedicated scorer.

That said I'd much rather have Omri starting and trade Gay. His midrange focused, ISO based game is losing basketball to me.

Defense? Energy? what?

Asking Casspi to pull the scoring load Gay does is a disaster waiting to happen.

Rudy can create his own shot. Omri can't. That's the basically the difference. Omri is a complimentary player and Rudy is a dedicated scorer.

That said I'd much rather have Omri starting and trade Gay. His midrange focused, ISO based game is losing basketball to me.

I agree with that... The only advantage of Gay over Casspi is that he can create his own... mostly misses :=)

Happen i'm Coach Dave, which i consider him as a very talented one(Defense is a key)...
i would prefer to share the ball between teammates, until one is free to shoot or to slash...
than rely on a player that his only asset is to be very average in creating his own shots.
what's the point and how does it benefit the team?
We need only people with grit on the floor, not a meh players.
We need to get someone like that as a replacement to Gay(in any position what so ever).
He is not a "star" caliber... can not be a co-star alongside Boogie...
he is quite an average basketball player.

Last edited:
Asking Casspi to pull the scoring load Gay does is a disaster waiting to happen.
I don't think it would be a disaster. Casspi needs confidence to perform and you can see that he is improving lately. Probably Joerger is giving him more credit lately and it helps. Casspi had the best +/- of the team in this game and his stats were very respectable for 20 min on the floor!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't think it would be a disaster. Casspi needs confidence to perform and you can see that he is improving lately. Probably Joerger is giving him more credit lately and it helps. Casspi had the best +/- of the team in this game and his stats were very respectable for 20 min on the floor!
Casspi is best used as a bench energy guy. When he's contributing, it's nice. And he can be a useful piece. But he is a flawed player, and those flaws would be brutally exposed if he was thrust into a starting position.

Casspi is best used as a bench energy guy. When he's contributing, it's nice. And he can be a useful piece. But he is a flawed player, and those flaws would be brutally exposed if he was thrust into a starting position.
You're right, but I just wanted to say that it would not be a disaster. Casspi is not a selfish player and that helps a lot.

Why is that so, mate.

Talk is cheap, but reality shows different(you know - the practical world)

Last year Omri had
12 ppg / 48FG% / 41% 3PT/ 27MPG / +8 as kings second unit which is a crazy number for good

Last year Rudy had
17 ppg / 46FG% / 34% 3PT / 34MPG / -82 as a kings first unit!! as a STAR!!

Now... give the same backup by coach that Gay gets to Casspi... make plays for him to Slash or to shoot 3's
i'm not sure who his the better asset to the team in REAL TERMS... not in COST TERMS

SO now go with Gay worth to the market and bring a real gem(in any position) to assist this team
and to play beside of Boogie

I have nothing against Rudy, he is a nice basketball player... but let's get real.
in REAL terms he is not any better than Casspi, but we can trade him with better worth than Casspi

He can't create his own shot, doesn't appear to have a mid-range game to speak of, has no post up game, and is often out of control when he drives. But more importantly, not once in his career has he been asked to take on the offensive load that Rudy Gay does. Not even close. Stats are nice and all, but if you thrust a guy like Casspi into being a second or third option on offense, his effectiveness will plummet severely because that role is far too much for him.

He can't create his own shot, doesn't appear to have a mid-range game to speak of, has no post up game, and is often out of control when he drives. But more importantly, not once in his career has he been asked to take on the offensive load that Rudy Gay does. Not even close. Stats are nice and all, but if you thrust a guy like Casspi into being a second or third option on offense, his effectiveness will plummet severely because that role is far too much for him.
Spot-on analysis. The assumption you can extrapolate Omri's production as reserve to starter is flawed. Omri is at his best when he is opportunistic and picking his spots. If he was asked to become the second scoring option with plays called for him (like Rudy) he would fail big league. Rudy deserves criticism for the times that he has failed us in crunch time and OT, 4-5 times by my count, but this does make Omri a valid replacement

Not meaning to come between you two in the general issue at hand :).

I just wanted to correct one single point you made (bolded):

Casspi came here from Houston (on this stint), where he was instructed, or more accurately perhaps PROGRAMMED, to NEVER take a long 2 (I **** you not. That's a fact).

According to simple hoops' economy (The chance of making a shot X the reward in team pts), the long 2 IS the least "efficient" or "worthwhile" shot in the game (that's a statistical truth). The thing is, that under the current Rockets' owner, that shot was, quite literally, OUTLAWED... :D

So, Omri has no special problem making mid-range shots. He's not missing mid-range shots. He simply avoids them, as he was trained not to take them.

By all means, please go ahead and check that for yourself.

Words(mine and yours) worth nothing - numbers do...

You know, if the team win only 35 games per year, you won't get to the playoffs...

Based of last year stats...
Omri per shot, is much better than Rudy
Omri per 3PT, is much better than Rudy
Omri as a rotational player last year was+8, while Rudy at the first team -82 (that is a very meaningful stat)
And last but not least, Omri was better Defensive Rebounder per minute, as a SF, than Durant, Lebron and Paul George.
And was the fastest player in his rule at the league in his duty by ESPN details.

Why he does not get more recognition, backup and minutes for 12ppg/48%/41%/+8/5dr per 27m/
rather than to assist him get 6-7 more shots or slashes per game, he got harsh treatment previously...
i can not tel why. really, it's insane to me.

Because if you add to those stats, few more clear shots or good slashes per game...
it's better than someone that shoot with less effectiveness.

And regarding ball handling... even in that department Omri made less turnovers per minute
and gave about the same assists as Rudy per minute. yes, Omri he is not Lebron, but who cares. you need to compare numbers and effectiveness
with what you have at the team.

I'm not saying Omri is a "Star", but give him to slash to the basket a bit more per game(he does it very effectively), another clear look to the basket
from the 3pt(I don't see a reason for him to shoot from mid range if he was 41% from 3pt last year)... and you get the same numbers as Rudy with
a much better stats... it's a simple equation... It's a fact Rudy made 17ppg and Omri 12ppg last here... With Omri's great last year stats, he needs only 3 more shots per game to have the same numbers as Rudy have... while you can Replace Rudy with a valuable player That would play beside Boogie, Casspi and the rest of the guys.
maybe Gay is a better individual player... but there are many in this league that will make low percentage baskets with same amount of shots. you don't need it.
one have to be clinical. that's what this team needs, beside of a solid defense. that's the difference between the better teames to the other teams.
better stats+better defense = simple equation

That's how i see it.

Last edited:

Defense? Energy? what?

Hi Alon!

I am, and have been for years, a die-hard Casspi fan
(Not only as his country-man. I REALLY like his game & his heart),
BUT - I would ask you to get real... ;)

Omri is NOT a talent of Rudy's caliber.
(I'd say "not yet" if it makes you, or me, feel better)

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Team Omri for the reasons stated above.

Mainly that Rudy ISOs the hell out of the offense.

Rudy + ??? should also get us more on the open market than Omri + ???.

Come on Vlade, addition by subtraction. ... it happened in Memphis and it happened in Toronto (yes, there were other variables, but I still think Rudy is fools gold)!

Not meaning to come between you two in the general issue at hand :).

I just wanted to correct one single point you made (bolded):

Casspi came here from Houston (on this stint), where he was instructed, or more accurately perhaps PROGRAMMED, to NEVER take a long 2 (I **** you not. That's a fact).

According to simple hoops' economy (The chance of making a shot X the reward in team pts), the long 2 IS the least "efficient" or "worthwhile" shot in the game (that's a statistical truth). The thing is, that under the current Rockets' owner, that shot was, quite literally, OUTLAWED... :D

So, Omri has no special problem making mid-range shots. He's not missing mid-range shots. He simply avoids them, as he was trained not to take them.

By all means, please go ahead and check that for yourself.
Yes... "We all" (Israeli fans:)) remember him taking Nowitzki-style one-legged fade-aways and things like this... His percentage on those shots was not particulary bad. It just was not really good enough to take them over other continuations of the attack. Actually it also holds for majority of NBA players - hard middle range jump shot is bad if you're not Nowitzki (or other player with unusually good success - there're only handfull of them actually). Other players (unlike Omri) just still don't get it ...
But still actually Rudy Gay has better success on those shots - something like 42% or 43% Vs 37%. or 38%. But Casspi is better around rim 65% Vs 63%, and from 3pt 37% Vs 34%.
p.s.
Looking at "basketball reference" - in his rookie year Casspi took 150 2pt shots from more that 10 ft (making 61 of them - 41% ... not that much different from Rudy Gay...). Last year he had only 18.75% success - but it was only 3/16, e.g. - actually only shots he was compelled to take (other option would be shot clock violtaion or turnover)

Last edited:
Well it is time to make a trade and Rudy has more value.
I think it is time to get some value for Rudy in a trade, while there is still time.

Teams like OKC or Houston would probably want Rudy to be a wing man to Westbrook and Harden, respectively.

I'm ready for that post-Rudy trade improvement, that Memphis and Toronto had! ;)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes... "We all" (Israeli fans:)) remember him taking Nowitzki-style one-legged fade-aways and things like this... His percentage on those shots was not particulary bad. It just was not really good enough to take them over other continuations of the attack. Actually it also holds for majority of NBA players - hard middle range jump shot is bad if you're not Nowitzki (or other player with unusually good success - there're only handfull of them actually). Other players (unlike Omri) just still don't get it ...
But still actually Rudy Gay has better success on those shots - something like 42% or 43% Vs 37%. or 38%. But Casspi is better around rim 65% Vs 63%, and from 3pt 37% Vs 34%.
p.s.
Looking at "basketball reference" - in his rookie year Casspi took 150 2pt shots from more that 10 ft (making 61 of them - 41% ... not that much different from Rudy Gay...). Last year he had only 18.75% success - but it was only 3/16, e.g. - actually only shots he was compelled to take (other option would be shot clock violtaion or turnover)
That mentality was reinforced in Karl's variation on the Dribble Drive which asked players to shoot threes or drive to the basket with nothing in between.

I like Omri a lot. I think he can be a valuable reserve on a good team. But if he's the starting SF there had better be a couple huge talents at two of the other starting spots so that he can play his role of hustling, rebounding, shooting open threes and taking openings to drive to the hoop.

That mentality was reinforced in Karl's variation on the Dribble Drive which asked players to shoot threes or drive to the basket with nothing in between.

I like Omri a lot. I think he can be a valuable reserve on a good team. But if he's the starting SF there had better be a couple huge talents at two of the other starting spots so that he can play his role of hustling, rebounding, shooting open threes and taking openings to drive to the hoop.

It's not a completely wrong observation by your side... :)

That's why the Kings need to trade Rudy with a competent point guard...
Because the upside of Rudy vs Casspi is neglected if at all... (if you have a competent point guard that can Dish and score)
but he hold much more value as an asset...
and a wise team has to take wise steps.

Or... another option... to trade both Rudy and kosta(combined), for a very good Center that will play beside Boogie...
therefore you will have two -qualified- monsters under the rim, that will get all the attention...
a very good 3pt shooter and slasher in Omri, you have Collison which is a very fine player as well...
and beside of them you can choose if to start with Temple as a great defender or with Arron.

The team needs to be creative - because as it is know - the machine is not working well(except of Boogie)
but one wise trade - and that machine may cling together fine - it's not something unrialistic.
Either way - it's time for wise steps - because as it is - the Kings are not a playoff side.

Last edited:

That's pretty much on the spot. I think we saw again this night (beginning of the second half) that Omri as a starter would absolutely not be a disaster. Far from it. One of the things that I really like in Omri's game is the ball movement. When he is on the floor and he gets touches, the ball moves really well and the team gets a lot of open looks. Omri has become a calculating shooter, which has two major advantages. The ball moves well and his shooting percentage stays very good. Add to that his activity at the boards, passing, good court vision and energy that he brings in, I think he does contribute a lot to the team.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Rudy is a ball stopper , Cousins is a ball stopper, we really don't have many creators on this team or a system which can create alot of high quality looks. My curiosity peaks me as I start to contemplate a Rudy Gay trade.. Not alot of off ball movement when Gay and Cousins are on the same floor, or maybe the other players don't know where to go in the offense. I was watching a 2006 regular season game of the Kings and was amazed at how much better the ball movement was. Almost a quality shot each posession.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's pretty much on the spot. I think we saw again this night (beginning of the second half) that Omri as a starter would absolutely not be a disaster. Far from it. One of the things that I really like in Omri's game is the ball movement. When he is on the floor and he gets touches, the ball moves really well and the team gets a lot of open looks. Omri has become a calculating shooter, which has two major advantages. The ball moves well and his shooting percentage stays very good. Add to that his activity at the boards, passing, good court vision and energy that he brings in, I think he does contribute a lot to the team.
To be fair, we can say that about tonight's version of Omri.

Unfortunately Omri still has more than his fair share of "OH MY GOD OMRI WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! SIT DOWN ON THE BENCH NOW BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!" plays. You can't question his intensity and hustle but sometimes those skills manifest themselves better than others.

It's sort of like Francisco Garcia in his prime with the Kings. He was generally a real positive player on the court that warranted a good twenty-something minutes a night but putting him in the starting position was probably a little too much to ask for.

Unfortunately Omri still has more than his fair share of "OH MY GOD OMRI WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! SIT DOWN ON THE BENCH NOW BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!" plays. You can't question his intensity and hustle but sometimes those skills manifest themselves better than others.

It's sort of like Francisco Garcia in his prime with the Kings. He was generally a real positive player on the court that warranted a good twenty-something minutes a night but putting him in the starting position was probably a little too much to ask for.

I respect the point of view, but i don't agree with that "oh my god" delusion regarding Omri... it's nothing but a fairy tale nowdays...

Omri makes about 1.2 turnovers per 27m... which is very reasonable. nothing outstanding.

I'm not so sure Omri is a Garcia type of player...

Omri changes. Omri grows. he becomes versatile... he is highly intelligent individual that can accommodate very well.

In the past he was a 3pt player... nowdays he is arguably the best slasher in the team(beside of boogie), with nothing but great FG%
(he just need to do it 3-4 more times per 30M game and you will see a high% 20ppg player... but i think he refrains,
because he does not want to take extra shots that will reduce his good percentages in favor of the team and prefers
to dish the ball to open teammates... here is the coach job, to tell him, Omri, just like Rudy, you have my back...
lets make some plays for you to slash/3pt... you are very good in it... so give us those 20 points we need...
and we will assist you to make 3-4 more plays a game... we need your good percentages with 20ppg, not with 13ppg.
it's achieveable with Casspi's abilities and statistics... and may be the difference between playoffs to yet another failure).

beside of it, he moves the ball fast, he dishes well... he is good defensive rebounder...

And who cares if you shoot the ball with 41% accuracy from 3pt range and not from mid-range(in the traffic)
And if you are wisely slashing with great accuracy and make about 60% of those shots, then it's great for the team.

He sucks with FT though... scoring about 70% of them, maybe less... it's one thing he should improve, for being more beneficial.

Last year numbers when Casspi was starting were per game (in 21 games):
14 points, 7 rebounds, 1.7 assists (1.8 turnovers) on 50.5 FG%, 48.0 3P%
Hardly can be called "brutally exposed" IMHO

I know this and I'm not trying to tell you, at all, that Omri does not have bad games. However, most players do have them. I don't know what the basic reason for it is, but I guess that it is not only random fluctuation but has something to do with the teams they play against. Omri had a very good past season, but was basically forgotten on the bench this season because of the coaching changes and the roster movements. When he finally got his chance, he has simply played great. This was his 4th straight double figure scoring game. In December (6 games) his average is 10 PPG with around 55% from the field and from 3-pt, 4.5 rebounds and almost 2 assists and 1.7 steals a game! That is really good for 23.7 MPG. So, I consider him a value player for the Kings in general, not just the Laker game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know this and I'm not trying to tell you, at all, that Omri does not have bad games. However, most players do have them. I don't know what the basic reason for it is, but I guess that it is not only random fluctuation but has something to do with the teams they play against. Omri had a very good past season, but was basically forgotten on the bench this season because of the coaching changes and the roster movements. When he finally got his chance, he has simply played great. This was his 4th straight double figure scoring game. In December (6 games) his average is 10 PPG with around 55% from the field and from 3-pt, 4.5 rebounds and almost 2 assists and 1.7 steals a game! That is really good for 23.7 MPG. So, I consider him a value player for the Kings in general, not just the Laker game.
No, don't get me wrong, I think Omri is a valuable player to this team but ideally he's your 7th or 8th man off the bench and not your starter. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not to keep bringing up Cisco for some reason but prior to breaking his wrist in an unfortunate accident, he was probably the fourth or fifth most important guy on the team despite primarily being a bench guy.

Hedo was also a hugely important piece of the glory day teams who could start but was much more effective for the team when he was able to come off the bench and do his thing. (It wasn't until we traded him and he got serious about basketball for a couple of years that he really became a 'starter' starter.)

Can Omri start? Yeah.
Is that where he's best? The jury's still out.

No, don't get me wrong, I think Omri is a valuable player to this team but ideally he's your 7th or 8th man off the bench and not your starter. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not to keep bringing up Cisco for some reason but prior to breaking his wrist in an unfortunate accident, he was probably the fourth or fifth most important guy on the team despite primarily being a bench guy.

Hedo was also a hugely important piece of the glory day teams who could start but was much more effective for the team when he was able to come off the bench and do his thing. (It wasn't until we traded him and he got serious about basketball for a couple of years that he really became a 'starter' starter.)

Can Omri start? Yeah.
Starting from the end. Yeah, he can start and the team would play well. No, that's not where he's best (at least for now, but maybe he would grow with the job - or maybe not).

Yes, Cisco was a great player and, by coincidence, Cisco was Omri's mentor during Omri's rookie year. They also played together in Houston.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Can Omri start? Yeah.
No, ideally Omri is an important bench piece that can be a backup SF and stretch four. But at this point if the choice is between starting Rudy or starting Omri I'd rather have Casspi out there.

Rudy is much more talented but I've never been a fan of his game. He plays losing basketball IMO. Ball stopping, ISO play that is midrange focused and forces shots rather than moving the basketball.

He puts up scoring numbers but wilts under aggressive ball pressure, rarely comes through in crunch time and is usually not engaged enough on defense.

The argument for Rudy on the Kings is that no one else other than Boogie can create their own shot but the flaw in that argument is that when Gay plays with Cousins the offense stagnates and when he's on the court without Cousins he shows the same thing he's always shown - his efficiency plummets as his already high usage increases further.

The Kings DO need a second scorer, especially when Cousins isn't in the floor but Rudy isn't that guy.

Trade him for what you can get and try to win games based on scrappy, hustling play and ball movement along with Cousins doing his thing.