Old Trade Thread (no longer need to post all trades here)

Kings113 said:
For what? Don't say Kenyon Martin because that just doesn't make sense for the Kings (contract, constant health problems).

;)

What the? Kenyon is perfect for this team. His knee problems have been exaggerated to the point it's not even funny. He has played more games than a lot of our guys, is athletic as hell, a good defender, good pick&roll player(fits with Mike's game), blocks his man out, I just don't know what is so bad about him. People have acted like trading for him would be a disaster, but he would bring A LOT to this team and we could probably get Watson+with him. He is just starting to get healthy too. He's just one of the few players on the block who could help our team that we could get reasonably. Darko-can't get him, he's headed to ORL. Wilcox-headed to Seattle. Garnett-we have nothing Minnesota would want for him. Artest and Kenyon would be one of the best defensive combos at the forward spots in the league. And before people say he can't rebound, I have some proof that says he can(although he is an inconsistent rebounder):

http://www.nba.com/games/20060116/DENCHI/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/games/20060212/DENSEA/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/games/20060210/DALDEN/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/games/20060131/DENSAC/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/games/20060123/TORDEN/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/games/20060118/CLEDEN/boxscore.html

Some of his more recent games. I mean I'm okay with him not coming here, but there are reasons why he would make sense here. We can have him+Watson for a reasonable price. Realistically who else could we get that would do all those things? I only mentioned him at first because he does a lot of things our team needs and he is on the trading block.

Very good numbers on those games, but until he proves he can stay healthy, along with that contract, just no. I don't dislike him as a player and what he can bring, though.

Last edited:
Well let's assume his knees are fine for a moment. Would you do the deal then, especially considering that if Denver wants to get rid of him bad enough we could probably get Watson and/or NeNe too?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
BMiller52 said:
Well let's assume his knees are fine for a moment. Would you do the deal then, especially considering that if Denver wants to get rid of him bad enough we could probably get Watson and/or NeNe too?
Not for that contract. No.

Its one of the very worst in the league -- almost as beyond ridiculous as Keith Van Horn's. He's too small to play alongside Brad, actually makes us WEAKER on the glass, and does nothing to clean up our desperate need for a shotblocker.

And then there's that knee. It doesn't have to be career ending. Just enough to accelerate his decline due to age to make that contract look like Penny Hardaway's. By the time he's 30 he's being paid $13mil a year. By the team he's 32 he's being paid $16mil a year. Its no different than giving Peja the max. Actually worse even. A gigantic anvil. The sort of thing the Knicks take on becuase they're idiots.

brick...ur usually a pretty smart guy....so im just gonna assume, especially based on the things u keep saying, that you havent seen martin play much...anyone that had seen him play much wouldnt make the arguments u do....

btw....tyson chandlers line last nite...2 pts...6 personal fouls...15 boards....3 TOs....0 BS....1 assist....

seriously, i dont get it....

foretaz said:
brick...ur usually a pretty smart guy....so im just gonna assume, especially based on the things u keep saying, that you havent seen martin play much...anyone that had seen him play much wouldnt make the arguments u do....

btw....tyson chandlers line last nite...2 pts...6 personal fouls...15 boards....3 TOs....0 BS....1 assist....

seriously, i dont get it....
I guess I haven't seen Martin play much either, since I agree with everything Brick says. And that almost never happens.

If Kenyon Martin is so awesome, why is Denver trying so hard to get rid of him?

P

playmaker0017

foretaz said:
First, Kenyon isn't an improvement over Shareef. You might say defensively, but man-on, Reef is a great defender. Not just that, but dollar for dollar, Reef is by far the better talent.

The biggest issue with Kenyon is that his scoring range in 2 feet in. The way our offense works ... it requires the player to be able to move outside and inside with efficiency.

Reef - while not a Duncan or KG - can carry an offensive load if given the chance. Kenyon can't. Reef can stretch a defense and still, in his current state, gets a double thrown at him. Kenyon doesn't. Reef's defense while good, can't change the flow of a game ... and neither can Kenyon's.

Martin has done nothing on his resume except play with Jason Kidd.

playmaker0017 said:
Martin has done nothing on his resume except play with Jason Kidd.
Yes, Martin should thank Kidd for the contract he got. His salary averages out to about 13.5 mil per and he's signed 'til the 2010-2011 season.

He's overrated, his stats for this season... 14.2 pts and 6.8 rebs a game.

I rather have Kenny Thomas and he's half the price.

Bricklayer

Stryder said:
I rather have Kenny Thomas and he's half the price.
I rather have Kenny Thomas ONLY because he's half the price.

Kenyon is the superior player. But he's not that superior, and not anymore.

Kenyon actually has an ideal type lineup where he can be valubale. It features a big (and I mean big sizewise too) rebounder/shotblocker playing next to him, and then a post player in the rotation to make up for his lack of post game. In other words, the Denver setup. If we traded Brad for Chandler, chopped Kenyon's contract in half, and magically healed his knee he coould potentially fit, although having he and Reef would be the same sort of mini-tweener non-rebounding mess we have right now. Tyson would have to grab 15 rebs a game and guard every top big man, and close down the middle and...

OvechKiN said:
Milicic was drafted ahead of Wade, 'Melo, Heinrich and Bosh for a reason.
Not saying he'll be a lock to be better than any of them, but a dam good player indeed
Kwame Brown was drafted over Pau, J-Rich, Battier, Joe Johnson, RJ, Randolph, Dalembert, G. Wallace, and Arenas

Tskitshvili was drafted over Amare.

Two rounds of picks were selected before Manu was picked.

Arenas was selected behind a whole slew of players.

Just because you were selected high in the draft, doesn't mean you'll ever make yourself into a player.

Sam Bowie was picked before Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

Just because Darko was selected before Bosh, Wade, etc. I doubt he'll ever be a speckle of what they are. His growth has been stunted, and then again, we don't know if he ever had the ability to succeed.

Some Euro picks pan out like Manu and Dirk, some are complete trash. Drafts are a complete luck job unless you were picking Duncan, O'Neal or Lebron.

Bricklayer said:
Tyson would have to grab 15 rebs a game and guard every top big man, and close down the middle and...

Kenyon usually guards Denver's top big man. The way you talk about him you act like he's a bad defender but he's not. He's added a good midrange J this season and he's an inconsistent rebounder but he CAN rebound. I don't get where you say he's a tweener 4. Undersized? Maybe. But he doesn't play the 3 at all. He's a pure power forward.

2000 draft: Michael Redd at 43, Mateen Cleaves at 14/Chris Mihm at 7.

2004 draft: Chris Duhon at 39, Luke Jackson at 10 (Now Cleveland wants Duhon).

Last edited:
In the NBA, trades of quote on quote scrubs barely make an impact unless they involve draft picks. Ben Wallace and Jermaine are the exceptions rather than the rule.

I'd trade a whole lot for the like's of known quantities. But in the NBA, unlike MLB where trades go down for prospects daily, this just doesn't happen. Players most often don't go from nothing to something. The only guy I can think about that happening lately is a guy like Pryzbilla or something. Nazr I guess you could consider him one.

I think most GMs in the NBA are after known quanities with either 1 of two things, expiring contracts or skilled players. Darko isn't either of these so far, or atleast he hasn't proved himself to be a #2 yet. If we were to trade Detroit trash (impossible) for Darko, I'd take it. If we have to trade any of these guys or players, I'd object:

Bibby
Brad
Artest
K-Mart
F. Garcia
Bonzi
Skinner (sadly)
K. Thomas
1st Round Pick (any year)

If we were to get Darko for let's say Corliss or Hart, and a 2nd rounder, awesome. Otherwise, we'd be better off drafting our own project. That's all Darko is a project that currently we don't have time for. Orlando has that time. Artest, Bibby, Brad, Kenny, SAR, Bonzi are all at or near their primes. What are we going to do with Darko. We already have 2 guys playing significant minutes who are early in their careers.

Personally I still think if were going to make a move, make a move for a veteran PG that can pass and defend occasionally to back up Bibby. I honestly can't think of a great candidate on the top of my head (Knight), but that makes more sense for us. Unless Darko some how becomes Ben Wallace in the next 5 years (the player type we need to go from Good to Great), I don't see the point in taking him.

Bricklayer

bigbadred00 said:
In the NBA, trades of quote on quote scrubs barely make an impact unless they involve draft picks. Ben Wallace and Jermaine are the exceptions rather than the rule.

I'd trade a whole lot for the like's of known quantities. But in the NBA, unlike MLB where trades go down for prospects daily, this just doesn't happen. Players most often don't go from nothing to something. The only guy I can think about that happening lately is a guy like Pryzbilla or something. Nazr I guess you could consider him one.

I think most GMs in the NBA are after known quanities with either 1 of two things, expiring contracts or skilled players. Darko isn't either of these so far, or atleast he hasn't proved himself to be a #2 yet. If we were to trade Detroit trash (impossible) for Darko, I'd take it. If we have to trade any of these guys or players, I'd object:

Bibby
Brad
Artest
K-Mart
F. Garcia
Bonzi
Skinner (sadly)
K. Thomas
1st Round Pick (any year)

If we were to get Darko for let's say Corliss or Hart, and a 2nd rounder, awesome. Otherwise, we'd be better off drafting our own project. That's all Darko is a project that currently we don't have time for. Orlando has that time. Artest, Bibby, Brad, Kenny, SAR, Bonzi are all at or near their primes. What are we going to do with Darko. We already have 2 guys playing significant minutes who are early in their careers.

Personally I still think if were going to make a move, make a move for a veteran PG that can pass and defend occasionally to back up Bibby. I honestly can't think of a great candidate on the top of my head (Knight), but that makes more sense for us. Unless Darko some how becomes Ben Wallace in the next 5 years (the player type we need to go from Good to Great), I don't see the point in taking him.
Draw the cutoff line soemwhat higher.

Again -- WTF are we so desperate to protect here? The "proven vets" of a 24-28 team??

All depends on your read on Darko. And my own is fuzzy. If you've a GM and you've seen him play and believe that he may still have the talent of the Euro-KG (which is what he was called coming over) and its just untapped, then ho-hum everyday roster fillers like Skinner or maybe even KT are no price at all to pay. If Darko ever turns out to be a star, you'd be a fool not to burn those type resources to get him. Even if he just turns out to be a 12 and 8 big man with shotblocking ability (and he looks to be a major shotblocker), that still makes him a younger, better big than a Skinner or a KT. And when it comes to a pick, again, it depends on your assessment of Darko. If you think that the talent is there, and you're not likely to be in position to draft a kid this year with that level of talent, then a pick is reasonable too.

Trading for Darko is really all about what you think he can be.

We're not really willing to protect much, I just don't think Darko has that much value or he'd already be moved, or he'd already be playing. Yes, the Wallaces are great and McDyess is pretty nice, but if Darko had any minor talent he'd be playing.

Personally, the only guys I see us keeping are Bibby, Artest, and Brad, maybe Bonzi (K-mart leaves us in a question mark). Trading for Darko is like trading for a draft pick. What exactly are our needs? Does Darko fit these needs?

If we're going to give up anything for a project, I'd like to start with a position we need. I know we're not looking at the title this year, but I think with the Artest deal we're going in the right direction, up. Adding Darko I don't think puts us anywhere. Maybe I just haven't seen much of him nor do I believe he's that skilled. In a draft class with such studs (2 Probable HOFers in Lebron and Wade, and a periennel all-stars in BOsh and Melo (soon to come), he's been the joke. Maybe it's the wrong location, but believe you me, if Brown or now Flip saw any potential with this guy, he'd be out on the court faster than you can say "boo." but he's not.

If we somehow got Darko our future would be looking pretty bright. Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia, and Darko. That would only be if Darko proves himself.

PS: Can anyone find Darko's summer league stats? I'm just interested to see how he did.

I simply don't think you can say anything definite on Darko yet because he has not been in a regular rotation yet in the NBA. Also has played in just 96 games in 3 seasons, and career minutes is 5.8. He's been GT boy his whole career (not counting PT benchers get in April), and has had quality players in front of him his whole NBA career: Rasheed Wallace/Ben Wallace/Antonio McDyess.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/darko_milicic/index.html

I personally am quite interested to see how he does elsewhere (he won't be in Detroit by March, IMO).

Last edited:
The rumored three way deal with Orlando (Steve Francis), New York (Penny Hardaway + youngsters) and Denver (Kenyon Martin) is rumored to be off now that Orlando used Kelvin Cato's expiring deal in the Darko trade. The parties needed that salary in order to make the trade work.

However, the Kings have an $8,000,000 expiring contract of their own. Think they might be willing to lend a helping hand?

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
14.6 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.1 apg in 34.4 minutes
Incoming
Nene Hilario
6-11 PF from Brazil (Foreign)
0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.0 minutes
Hedo Turkoglu
6-10 SG from Turkey (Foreign)
14.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 33.1 minutes
Change in team outlook: -0.4 ppg, -3.5 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Nate Robinson
5-9 PG from Washington
8.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.8 apg in 19.6 minutes
Channing Frye
6-11 C from Arizona
13.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.4 minutes
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan
14.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.9 apg in 33.3 minutes
Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis
2.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 18.0 minutes
Incoming
Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
Kenyon Martin
6-9 PF from Cincinnati
14.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.5 minutes
Earl Watson
6-1 PG from UCLA
7.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.5 apg in 21.8 minutes
Change in team outlook: -1.6 ppg, +2.3 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Denver Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Kenyon Martin
6-9 PF from Cincinnati
14.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.5 minutes
Earl Watson
6-1 PG from UCLA
7.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.5 apg in 21.8 minutes
Nene Hilario
6-11 PF from Brazil (Foreign)
0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.0 minutes
Incoming
Channing Frye
6-11 C from Arizona
13.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.4 minutes
Steve Francis
6-3 PG from Maryland
16.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: +7.8 ppg, +2.1 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Steve Francis
6-3 PG from Maryland
16.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes
Hedo Turkoglu
6-10 SG from Turkey (Foreign)
14.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 33.1 minutes
Incoming
Nate Robinson
5-9 PG from Washington
8.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.8 apg in 19.6 minutes
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan
14.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.9 apg in 33.3 minutes
Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis
2.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 18.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: -5.8 ppg, -0.9 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Bricklayer

While I was reluctant to do this before, introducing Sacramento Kings and the Frontcourt of Doom:

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
9.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 25.9 minutes
Mike Bibby
6-1 PG from Arizona
20.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.0 minutes
Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
+#1 pick 2006 draft

Incoming
Kevin Garnett
6-11 PF from Farragut Academy (HS)
21.7 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 39.2 minutes
Marko Jaric
6-7 SG from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
9.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.8 apg in 31.5 minutes
Change in team outlook: -13.1 ppg, -2.5 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Kevin Garnett
6-11 PF from Farragut Academy (HS)
21.7 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 39.2 minutes
Marko Jaric
6-7 SG from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
9.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.8 apg in 31.5 minutes

Incoming
Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
9.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 25.9 minutes
Mike Bibby
6-1 PG from Arizona
20.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.0 minutes
Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
+ #1 pick 2006 draft
Change in team outlook: +13.1 ppg, +2.5 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

Successful ScenarioDue to Sacramento and Minnesota being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and Minnesota had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Figure you swing Davis or Bonzi to the SF and effectively give the Wolves three starters + a #1 pick that might still be in the lottery so that they'll have two in the #10-#16 range.

And of course for us the lineup is:

C- Miller
PF- KG
SF- Artest
OG- Martin
PG- Jaric

6th- PF/C/SF Reef
7th- OG/PG/SF Cisco
8th- PF/C Skinner

With Miller/KG/Artest backed up by Reef being the best frontcourt in basketball, and all of our guards being 6'7" and long.

And if it happens I'll eat my hat. :D

^ I like. I doubt Minnesota does, but that's neither here nor there. Of course, since I can't stand Jaric, and because this team would be desperate for outside shooting, I would craft next year's lineup thusly:

PG: Garcia, Price, Hart, Jaric
SG: Martin, free agent
SF: Artest, free agent, Corliss
PF: KG, Reef
C: Miller, Skinner

P

playmaker0017

nbrans said:
^ I like. I doubt Minnesota does, but that's neither here nor there. Of course, since I can't stand Jaric, and because this team would be desperate for outside shooting, I would craft next year's lineup thusly:

PF: KG, Reef
C: Miller, Skinner
I would probably do this:
PF: Reef, Miller, KG, Skinner
C: KG, Miller, Skinner

KG likes to play about 12 feet out at the elbow. He's very Brad Miller-ish. He's good in the post but prefers to play outside, it would seem. He's also an amazing passer and defender. There aren't many center's that could handle KG's defense.

Reef could handle the PF and the down low post play. He's also a better defender than Miller. He's quicker and able to rotate a lot better.

I think Reef/KG in the lineup is the most offensively potent lineup and also the best defensive lineup we could make.