OFFICIAL "Please, please, PLEASE don't hire Don Nelson!" thread

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Just the thought that Nellie could come to Sacramento makes me want to hurt myself. Talk about going back to being the laughing stock of the NBA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Variant said:
I vote no on Nelson. Don't we all remember the Mavs teams that gave up a bazillion layups? And Don would just drool over opposing teams after losses as well...

If Adelman's soft, sometimes whiny exterior was a factor in his dismissal, I cannot see how Don Nelson would be an upgrade. That and you could easily envision him wanting to step on Petrie's toes in the player movement dept.

Nonetheless, I could absolutely see this happening. I could probably get used to the idea. As long as we keep defensive-minded players on the team (Artest, Bonzi) maybe I could stomach him.
If he comes, I would feel pretty confident we would keep on winning...so long as he did not alienate our more combustible players. But it would take about a week before Bonzi was playing PF for us, and we would rapidly morph into every Nelson team that's ever been in the last 20 years -- run up and down the court very fast, keep the fans vapidly entertained, and just not have built anything with the postseason in mind. We keep on winning, but we have no hope of ever winning big (although I feel quite sure that if we enter next postseason with 50+ wins the more irrepressible of Kings fans will be ignoring history and talking title until they see Nellie up close and personal).

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
If he comes, I would feel pretty confident we would keep on winning...so log as he did not alienate our more combustible players. But it would take about a week before Bonzi was playing PF for us, and we would rapidly morph into every Nelson team that's ever been in the last 20 years -- run up and down the court very fast, keep the fans vapidly entertained, and just not have built anything with the postseason in mind. We keep on winning, but we have no hope of ever winning (although I feel quite sure that if we enter next postseason with 50+ wins the more irrepressible of Kings fans will be ignoring history and talking title until they see Nellie up close and personal).
You mean like he did against the Spurs in the playoffs this year?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
The Maloofs are apparently not satisfied with 50 wins. They want a title. Fine! I understand that. But, if they think Nellie is going to ever get them a title, they are so so wrong. He is not built for post-season.....way worse than some ever accused Adelman of being. So, if they hire Don Nelson, then they are stupid, stupid, stupid. :eek:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Next seasons starting lineup for the Sacramento Kings

PG Bibby
SG Martin
SF Garcia
PF Artest
C Wells

we will end up being 35th team in rebounding, 42nd in ppg allowed and 121st in layups allowed

Maybe someone should steal that Mavs banner about layups from 2002. We will need it

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
You mean like he did against the Spurs in the playoffs this year?
yes, like he did in a surprise desperation matchup move.

Only he would be starting and playing there all year. And just like every single year of Nellie's interminable coaching career, we would lose in the end to the teams playing full size defensive ball.

Press release: Kings trade Ron Artest for Jalen Rose
SacTownKid: I have complete confidence in the (fill in the blanks). We won 50 games a year long before Ron arrived. I see no problem. You are all overreacting. Its all good. Great even. I feel blessed to be a fan of such a briliant franchise. ;)

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
yes, like he did in a surprise desperation matchup move.

Only he would be starting and playing there all year. And just like every single year of Nellie's interminable coaching career, we would lose to the teams playing full size defensive ball.

Press release: Kings trade Ron Artest for Jalen Rose
SacTownKid: I have complete confidence in the (fill in the blanks). We won 50 games a year long before Ron arrived. I see no problem. You are all overreacting. Its all good. Great even. I feel blessed to be a fan of such a briliant franchise. ;)
You know what - if that would get jalen away from broadcasting - it might be worth it:eek:

SacTownKid said:
Actually I just heard from a source that talks are already heating up to coax Shawn Bradley out of retirement.
If Shaun Bradley is a little too much of a "big man" for Nelly, he could alway try and coax Tom Tolbert out of the booth and back onto the court. :eek:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2171
It's not a scientific poll or anything but it's results are telling:

1) Do you agree with the Kings' decision to fire Rick Adelman?

68.7%No
31.3%Yes

2) Despite the team's accomplishments under Adelman, which of the following do you feel was the reason for his dismissal?

46.2%Only one trip to conference finals and no NBA Finals appearances
36.4%The team simply needs a new voice
17.4%Declining win total in each of last five seasons

3) How important do you feel coaching is in today's NBA?

67.6%Very important
29.9%Somewhat important
2.4%Not very important

4) Don Nelson has been rumored as a possible replacement in Sacramento. Would he be a better fit for this team than Adelman?

81.2%No
18.8%Yes

5) Should the Kings make every attempt to re-sign Bonzi Wells this offseason?

72.3%Yes
27.7%No

6) Ron Artest had stated that he would play for free next season if the team kept Wells and Adelman. Will he respond well to another head coach?

53.0%No
47.0%Yes

7) How much credit do you feel Adelman gets for his coaching ability?

67.0%Not enough
27.9%About the right amount
5.1%Too much

8) Would you be interested in having Rick Adelman coach your favorite team?

64.8%Yes
35.2%No

Total Votes: 18,428

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Don Nelson is the pre-emptive favorite. All this hype has primarily been created by the media.

Replacing one coach who won a lot of games but no rings (Adleman) with another coach who won a lot of games but no rings (Nelson) seems to be a wash to me.

Merdiesel said:
seriously, not alot of talking by the Adelman haters now.
Not sure I'd call myself an Adelman hater, but I am very glad about the change. I don't know that there is a clear cut candidate for the job but thats hardly a reason to keep someone around. Even if on of the haters did have someone in mind, its kind of irrelevant until the ball gets jumped next year. I'm just tired of the same old thing and I think it goes beyond new blood on the court.

R

R1LOVER

I wanted him to go.................. but by no means will I watch Don Nelson run our team............ I would be sick to my stomach

R

R1LOVER

btw- I think they have cut a deal with Mr. Jackson to get out of his contract with Kobe.......errrrr I mean the lakers.... :) After Kobe's little stunt again, I'm sure Phile is just shaking his head saying "not this again"

It's bizzare how everyone is so against the Nelson thing:

1. First, its not like the team has even hinted at hiring him so CALM DOWN!
2. It would be hard to think of a coach more similar in coaching style (not personality) to Nelson. If everyone thinks Adelman is so perfect for the team, why be SO anti-Nelson.

I'm not for hiring Nelson but I'm still confused by all of this.

sdballer said:
It's bizzare how everyone is so against the Nelson thing:

1. First, its not like the team has even hinted at hiring him so CALM DOWN!
2. It would be hard to think of a coach more similar in coaching style (not personality) to Nelson. If everyone thinks Adelman is so perfect for the team, why be SO anti-Nelson.

I'm not for hiring Nelson but I'm still confused by all of this.
MY PERSONAL OPINIONS:

1. If he is the same as Adelman ( a thought I TOTALLY disagree with), why get rid of Adelman? It shows a lack of loyalty.
2. The Maloofs have stated that they want to go more defensive - Nellie is NOT defensive minded.
3. The goal for getting rid of a coach or player is for an upgrade. Has Nellie proven that he is an upgrade from Adelamn? NO.
4. He will NOT be a good fit for Ron or Bonzi.
5. He is NOT as good as Adelman.

Again, these are just my opinions.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I say burn down the arena (although it might be rough with it being concrete and all....) and use the insurance $$$ to build ARCO III!

favourite or not, media hype or not, the thought of don nelson at the helm of this team is scary. and by scary...i mean disastrous too.

If Nelson is hired, I'll give him a chance and see what he brings to the team.

But I'd sure prefer that it never gets that far.

Bricklayer

grun said:
favourite or not, media hype or not, the thought of don nelson at the helm of this team is scary. and by scary...i mean disastrous too.
Well, do not know about disastrous, UNLESS he rubs some of our players (and of course Ron specifically) the wrong way.

But as a coach, he knows how to win int eh regular season, and never have a prayer in the playoffs. So not really disaster. Just very little chance of ever making any real noise. Lots of high scoring, solid win total, empty seasons of fluff.

Again, not advocating the Don hiring but some good background info.

Don Nelson owns more than 40 years of NBA experience as a player, coach and general manager. In league history only Lenny Wilkens has more combined games as a player or a coach. Nelson also has more than two decades of service as an NBA general manager.

The 2003-4 season is his seventh with the team, and the signs of improvement by the Mavericks under Nelson can be seen each year. When he arrived, the team won 19 games in a shortened season which would have equated to 32 in a full year. Then during the 1999-2000 campaign, Nelson led the Mavericks to a 40-42 record which included a 9-1 April which was the best month in team history.

The great turnaround continued during 2000-01 as the Mavericks became one of the best teams in the NBA. Nelson led the Mavericks to just their third 50-win season in franchise history, their first playoff appearance in 11 years, their first winning season in 11 years and the best road record in franchise history. The team posted a winning record in each month for the first time in 13 years.

That postseason was just as successful for the Nelson-led Mavericks as he guided Dallas to a first round victory over Utah. While accomplishing that the team became just the sixth in NBA history to overcome a 2-0 deficit to win a five-game series.

For his efforts during the 2000-01 season, Nelson finished third in the league's Coach of the Year voting. The team has continued to grow as it won a franchise-high 57 games in 2001-02. The Nelson-led Mavericks won a team franchise high with 60 during the 2002-03 season and fell to the eventual NBA champions San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference Finals.

Nelson is the third-winningest coach in NBA history entreing the 2003-04 season with a record of 1096-828. He and Pat Riley are the only coaches ever to be named Coach of the Year three times (1983, 1985 and 1992). He was chosen one of the Top 10 Coaches in NBA History by a panel of former coaches, players and media selected by the NBA in commemoration of the NBA at 50 celebration. He coached Dream Team II to a gold medal at the 1994 World Championships in Toronto. The front-office architect of the Milwaukee Bucks' seven consecutive division title teams from 1979-1986, as well as the force behind the revival of the Golden State Warriors into a perennial playoff team in the late '80s and early '90s, Nelson has established himself as one of the NBA's premier basketball executives over the last three decades.

As a general manager, Nelson's drafting credits include the selection of all-stars Marques Johnson (using a pick Nelson had acquired from Buffalo in exchange for Swen Nater), Sidney Moncrief, Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Tyrone Hill, Chris Gatling, Latrell Sprewell and Chris Webber. In addition to those stars, Nelson has also shown an eye for finding role players who would eventually blossom in the NBA on winning teams, including John Starks (who would go on to make an all-star appearance), Sarunas Marciulionis, Mario Elie and Vincent Askew.

Taking over the duties of executive vice president for Golden State in 1987-88, Nelson built the club from a 20-62 squad that first season into a 55-27 club by 1991-92. Nelson took on the dual roles of head coach and general manager in 1988-89. Despite being plagued with injuries during his tenure at Golden State, the Warriors would go on to post two 50-win seasons and four playoff appearances in his seven-and-a-half seasons in the Bay Area. By comparison, Golden State had failed to make the playoffs in nine-of-10 years prior to Nelson's arrival and have not been back to the postseason since his departure.

One of Nelson's keys to success during this span was his ability to take lower first-round draft picks and turn them into players who in time would prove they should have been taken higher. From 1989-92, without a pick higher than 11th overall, Nelson chose four future all-stars (Hardaway, Hill, Gatling and Sprewell). Out of eight overall first-round picks from 1988 through 1993, the Warriors selected six future all-stars (Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Hill, Gatling, Sprewell and Anfernee Hardaway).
From NBA.com (sorry for the long post)

Last edited by a moderator: